  Re: tape backup drive support (A E Lawrence)

Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 16:44:50 +0100
From: Markus Wollgarten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: USR Sportster and hylafax

==============BCD50582F42E7DD4B9BFDFC5

Eward,

let me describe how I made my USR56K Sportster external modem x2   (bought
after 1997) working together with hylafax.

First I uploaded installed the hylafax distribution (server and client) out
of Debian (I am using the Debian slink distr.) using dselect and apt,
respectively.

Then, as root, issued the commands

faxsetup

faxaddmodem /dev/cua1

(my modem is connected to the second parallel port).

The latter command will result in a lot of questions, which I used to
answer. But later I figured out that the configuration files
/var/spool/fax/etc/config and /fax/spool/fax/etc/config.cua1 still contain
the default stuff, which will not work for me.

So I changed the settings according to my needs by hand.  I use the modem
as a class 1 modem. The windows software does the same. Probably also
critical are the lines

ModemNoFlowCmd:         AT&H1           # disable flow control cmdI0
ModemHardFlowCmd:       AT&R2           # hardware flow control cmdR2
ModemSoftFlowCmd:       AT&I0           # software flow control cmdI0

Here in the default configuration commands about compression are used. I am
not an expert at all, but it seemed wrong to me.(?)

The above lines already contain  commands sent by the windows software,
which a found by looking at the corresponding windows software log-file.

To compare everything, I added the files /var/spool/fax/etc/config and
/fax/spool/fax/etc/config.cua1 below.

Further after completing the config-files one has to give the command

faxmodem

This seems to necessary otherwise the configuration becomes not recognized
by the system.

Hope this helps.

Markus

/var/spool/fax/etc/config

# -------------
 LogFacility:  daemon
CountryCode:  41
AreaCode:  1
LongDistancePrefix: 0
InternationalPrefix: 00
DialStringRules: etc/dialrules.europe
ServerTracing:  1
ModemClass:  1
#--------------

/var/spool/fax/etc/config.cua1
#--------------
# $Id: class1,v 1.23 1996/06/24 02:58:32 sam Rel $
#
# HylaFAX Facsimile Software
#
# Copyright (c) 1990-1996 Sam Leffler
# Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
# HylaFAX is a trademark of Silicon Graphics, Inc.
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
# its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided

# that (i) the above copyright notices and this permission notice appear in

# all copies of the software and related documentation, and (ii) the names
of
# Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics may not be used in any advertising or
# publicity relating to the software without the specific, prior written
# permission of Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
# EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
# WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
#
# IN NO EVENT SHALL SAM LEFFLER OR SILICON GRAPHICS BE LIABLE FOR
# ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND,
# OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
# WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY OF

# LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
# OF THIS SOFTWARE.
#

#
# Generic Class 1 modem configuration.
#
# EDIT THIS CONFIGURATION TO REFLECT YOUR SETUP
#
CountryCode:  41
AreaCode:  1
FAXNumber:  "+41 1 0000000" # change to your number
LongDistancePrefix: 0
InternationalPrefix: 00
DialStringRules: etc/dialrules.europe
ServerTracing:  1
SessionTracing:  11
RecvFileMode:  0600
LogFileMode:  0600
DeviceMode:  0600
RingsBeforeAnswer: 1
SpeakerVolume:  on
GettyArgs:  "-h %l dx_%s"
LocalIdentifier: "Markus Wollgarten"
LogFacility:  daemon
TagLineFont:  etc/lutRS18.pcf
TagLineFormat:  "From %%l|%c|Page %%p of %%t"
QualifyTSI:  etc/tsi
MaxRecvPages:  25
#
#
# Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
# and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
#
ModemType:  Class1  # use this to supply a hint
ModemRate:  38400  # rate for DCE-DTE communication
ModemFlowControl: xonxoff  # XON/XOFF flow control assumed
#
ModemSetupDTRCmd: AT&D2  # setup so DTR drop resets modem
ModemSetupDCDCmd: AT&C1  # setup so DCD follows carrier
GettyArgs:  "-h %l dx_%s" # modem must auto-detect fax/data
#
# We normally append the "@" symbol to the dial string so that
# the modem will wait 5 seconds before attempting to connect
# and return result codes that distinguish between no carrier
# and no answer.  This makes it possible to avoid problems with
# repeatedly dialing a number that doesn't have a fax machine
# (kudos to Stuart Lynne for this trick.)
#
# NB: If you need to prefix phone numbers to get through a PBX,
#     put it in the ModemDialCmd; e.g. "DT9%s@".
#
ModemDialCmd:  ATDTW0%s # I need a 0 to get a line
#
# Other possible configuration stuff.  The default strings are
# shown below.  Only those that are different from the defaults
# need to be included in the configuration file.
#
ModemResetCmds:  "AT Z  AT &F1 E0 H0 Q0 V1 &D2 S0=0 X3" # stuff to do when
modem is reset
ModemAnswerCmd:  ATA  # use this to answer phone
ModemNoFlowCmd:  AT&H1  # disable flow control cmdI0
ModemHardFlowCmd: AT&R2  # hardware flow control cmdR2
ModemSoftFlowCmd: AT&I0  # software flow control cmdI0
ModemNoAutoAnswerCmd: ATS0=0  # disable auto-answer
#
# Set modem speaker volume commands: OFF QUIET LOW MEDIUM HIGH.
# Note that we both turn the speaker on/off and set volume.
#
ModemSetVolumeCmd: "ATM0 ATL0M1 ATL1M1 ATL2M1 ATL3M1"
ModemEchoOffCmd: ATE0  # disable command echo
ModemVerboseResultsCmd: ATV1  # enable verbose command results
ModemResultCodesCmd: ATQ0  # enable result codes
ModemOnHookCmd:  ATH0  # place phone on hook (hangup)
ModemSoftResetCmd: ATZ  # do soft reset of modem
ModemWaitTimeCmd: ATS7=60  # wait 60 seconds for carrier
ModemCommaPauseTimeCmd: ATS8=2  # comma pause time is 2 seconds
ModemRecvFillOrder: LSB2MSB  # bit order of received facsimile
ModemSendFillOrder: LSB2MSB  # bit order modem expects for transmit
#
Class1Cmd:  AT+FCLASS=1 # command to enter class 1
Class1TCFResponseDelay: 75  # 75ms delay between recv TCF & response
Class1SendPPMDelay: 75  # 75ms delay before sending PPM
Class1SendTCFDelay: 75  # 75ms delay between sending DCS & TCF
Class1TrainingRecovery: 1500  # 1.5sec delay after training failure
Class1RecvAbortOK: 200  # wait 200ms for abort response
Class1FrameOverhead: 4  # 4 byte overhead in recvd HDLC frames
Class1RecvIdentTimer: 40000  # 35+5secs waiting for ident frames
Class1TCFMaxNonZero: 10  # max 10% of data may be non-zero
Class1TCFMinRun: 1000  # min run is 2/3rds of TCF duration
#---------------------

Dr. Markus WOLLGARTEN
Institut fuer Angewandte Physik
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093 Zuerich
Tel. +41-(0)1-63-32126
Fax. +41-(0)1-63-31105
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.iap.ethz.ch/users/wollgarten/index.html

==============BCD50582F42E7DD4B9BFDFC5

<HTML>
Eward,

<P>let me describe how I made my USR56K Sportster external modem x2&nbsp;&nbsp;
(bought after 1997) working together with hylafax.

<P>First I uploaded installed the hylafax distribution (server and client)
out of Debian (I am using the Debian slink distr.) using dselect and apt,
respectively.

<P>Then, as root, issued the commands

<P>faxsetup

<P>faxaddmodem /dev/cua1

<P>(my modem is connected to the second parallel port).

<P>The latter command will result in a lot of questions, which I used to
answer. But later I figured out that the configuration files /var/spool/fax/etc/config
and /fax/spool/fax/etc/config.cua1 still contain the default stuff, which
will not work for me.

<P>So I changed the settings according to my needs by hand.&nbsp; I use
the modem as a class 1 modem. The windows software does the same. Probably
also critical are the lines

<P>ModemNoFlowCmd:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
AT&amp;H1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
# disable flow control cmdI0
<BR>ModemHardFlowCmd:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
AT&amp;R2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
# hardware flow control cmdR2
<BR>ModemSoftFlowCmd:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
AT&amp;I0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
# software flow control cmdI0

<P>Here in the default configuration commands about compression are used.
I am not an expert at all, but it seemed wrong to me.(?)

<P>The above lines already contain&nbsp; commands sent by the windows software,
which a found by looking at the corresponding windows software log-file.

<P>To compare everything, I added the files /var/spool/fax/etc/config and
/fax/spool/fax/etc/config.cua1 below.

<P>Further after completing the config-files one has to give the command

<P>faxmodem

<P>This seems to necessary otherwise the configuration becomes not recognized
by the system.

<P>Hope this helps.

<P>Markus
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>/var/spool/fax/etc/config
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR># -------------
<BR>&nbsp;LogFacility:&nbsp; daemon
<BR>CountryCode:&nbsp; 41
<BR>AreaCode:&nbsp; 1
<BR>LongDistancePrefix: 0
<BR>InternationalPrefix: 00
<BR>DialStringRules: etc/dialrules.europe
<BR>ServerTracing:&nbsp; 1
<BR>ModemClass:&nbsp; 1
<BR>#--------------

<P>/var/spool/fax/etc/config.cua1
<BR>#--------------
<BR># $Id: class1,v 1.23 1996/06/24 02:58:32 sam Rel $
<BR>#
<BR># HylaFAX Facsimile Software
<BR>#
<BR># Copyright (c) 1990-1996 Sam Leffler
<BR># Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
<BR># HylaFAX is a trademark of Silicon Graphics, Inc.
<BR>#
<BR># Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software
and
<BR># its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
provided
<BR># that (i) the above copyright notices and this permission notice appear
in
<BR># all copies of the software and related documentation, and (ii) the
names of
<BR># Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics may not be used in any advertising
or
<BR># publicity relating to the software without the specific, prior written
<BR># permission of Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics.
<BR>#
<BR># THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
<BR># EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
<BR># WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
<BR>#
<BR># IN NO EVENT SHALL SAM LEFFLER OR SILICON GRAPHICS BE LIABLE FOR
<BR># ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY
KIND,
<BR># OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
<BR># WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY
OF
<BR># LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
<BR># OF THIS SOFTWARE.
<BR>#

<P>#
<BR># Generic Class 1 modem configuration.
<BR>#
<BR># EDIT THIS CONFIGURATION TO REFLECT YOUR SETUP
<BR>#
<BR>CountryCode:&nbsp; 41
<BR>AreaCode:&nbsp; 1
<BR>FAXNumber:&nbsp; "+41 1 0000000" # change to your number
<BR>LongDistancePrefix: 0
<BR>InternationalPrefix: 00
<BR>DialStringRules: etc/dialrules.europe
<BR>ServerTracing:&nbsp; 1
<BR>SessionTracing:&nbsp; 11
<BR>RecvFileMode:&nbsp; 0600
<BR>LogFileMode:&nbsp; 0600
<BR>DeviceMode:&nbsp; 0600
<BR>RingsBeforeAnswer: 1
<BR>SpeakerVolume:&nbsp; on
<BR>GettyArgs:&nbsp; "-h %l dx_%s"
<BR>LocalIdentifier: "Markus Wollgarten"
<BR>LogFacility:&nbsp; daemon
<BR>TagLineFont:&nbsp; etc/lutRS18.pcf
<BR>TagLineFormat:&nbsp; "From %%l|%c|Page %%p of %%t"
<BR>QualifyTSI:&nbsp; etc/tsi
<BR>MaxRecvPages:&nbsp; 25
<BR>#
<BR>#
<BR># Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
<BR># and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
<BR>#
<BR>ModemType:&nbsp; Class1&nbsp; # use this to supply a hint
<BR>ModemRate:&nbsp; 38400&nbsp; # rate for DCE-DTE communication
<BR>ModemFlowControl: xonxoff&nbsp; # XON/XOFF flow control assumed
<BR>#
<BR>ModemSetupDTRCmd: AT&amp;D2&nbsp; # setup so DTR drop resets modem
<BR>ModemSetupDCDCmd: AT&amp;C1&nbsp; # setup so DCD follows carrier
<BR>GettyArgs:&nbsp; "-h %l dx_%s" # modem must auto-detect fax/data
<BR>#
<BR># We normally append the "@" symbol to the dial string so that
<BR># the modem will wait 5 seconds before attempting to connect
<BR># and return result codes that distinguish between no carrier
<BR># and no answer.&nbsp; This makes it possible to avoid problems with
<BR># repeatedly dialing a number that doesn't have a fax machine
<BR># (kudos to Stuart Lynne for this trick.)
<BR>#
<BR># NB: If you need to prefix phone numbers to get through a PBX,
<BR>#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; put it in the ModemDialCmd; e.g. "DT9%s@".
<BR>#
<BR>ModemDialCmd:&nbsp; ATDTW0%s # I need a 0 to get a line
<BR>#
<BR># Other possible configuration stuff.&nbsp; The default strings are
<BR># shown below.&nbsp; Only those that are different from the defaults
<BR># need to be included in the configuration file.
<BR>#
<BR>ModemResetCmds:&nbsp; "AT Z&nbsp; AT &amp;F1 E0 H0 Q0 V1 &amp;D2 S0=0
X3" # stuff to do when modem is reset
<BR>ModemAnswerCmd:&nbsp; ATA&nbsp; # use this to answer phone
<BR>ModemNoFlowCmd:&nbsp; AT&amp;H1&nbsp; # disable flow control cmdI0
<BR>ModemHardFlowCmd: AT&amp;R2&nbsp; # hardware flow control cmdR2
<BR>ModemSoftFlowCmd: AT&amp;I0&nbsp; # software flow control cmdI0
<BR>ModemNoAutoAnswerCmd: ATS0=0&nbsp; # disable auto-answer
<BR>#
<BR># Set modem speaker volume commands: OFF QUIET LOW MEDIUM HIGH.
<BR># Note that we both turn the speaker on/off and set volume.
<BR>#
<BR>ModemSetVolumeCmd: "ATM0 ATL0M1 ATL1M1 ATL2M1 ATL3M1"
<BR>ModemEchoOffCmd: ATE0&nbsp; # disable command echo
<BR>ModemVerboseResultsCmd: ATV1&nbsp; # enable verbose command results
<BR>ModemResultCodesCmd: ATQ0&nbsp; # enable result codes
<BR>ModemOnHookCmd:&nbsp; ATH0&nbsp; # place phone on hook (hangup)
<BR>ModemSoftResetCmd: ATZ&nbsp; # do soft reset of modem
<BR>ModemWaitTimeCmd: ATS7=60&nbsp; # wait 60 seconds for carrier
<BR>ModemCommaPauseTimeCmd: ATS8=2&nbsp; # comma pause time is 2 seconds
<BR>ModemRecvFillOrder: LSB2MSB&nbsp; # bit order of received facsimile
<BR>ModemSendFillOrder: LSB2MSB&nbsp; # bit order modem expects for transmit
<BR>#
<BR>Class1Cmd:&nbsp; AT+FCLASS=1 # command to enter class 1
<BR>Class1TCFResponseDelay: 75&nbsp; # 75ms delay between recv TCF &amp;
response
<BR>Class1SendPPMDelay: 75&nbsp; # 75ms delay before sending PPM
<BR>Class1SendTCFDelay: 75&nbsp; # 75ms delay between sending DCS &amp;
TCF
<BR>Class1TrainingRecovery: 1500&nbsp; # 1.5sec delay after training failure
<BR>Class1RecvAbortOK: 200&nbsp; # wait 200ms for abort response
<BR>Class1FrameOverhead: 4&nbsp; # 4 byte overhead in recvd HDLC frames
<BR>Class1RecvIdentTimer: 40000&nbsp; # 35+5secs waiting for ident frames
<BR>Class1TCFMaxNonZero: 10&nbsp; # max 10% of data may be non-zero
<BR>Class1TCFMinRun: 1000&nbsp; # min run is 2/3rds of TCF duration
<BR>#---------------------
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Dr. Markus WOLLGARTEN
Institut fuer Angewandte Physik
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093 Zuerich
Tel. +41-(0)1-63-32126
Fax. +41-(0)1-63-31105
[EMAIL PROTECTED]&nbsp;
<A
HREF="http://www.iap.ethz.ch/users/wollgarten/index.html">http://www.iap.ethz.ch/users/wollgarten/index.html</A>
========================================================</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

==============BCD50582F42E7DD4B9BFDFC5==

------------------------------

From: "Lou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: XWindows on a 16MB TNT  :(  no go.
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 04:07:28 +1000

Thanks eveyone for your help. It now works great!

I downloaded the latest Xfree86 3.3.3.1 RPMs.
Installed them all.

Ran Xconfigurator.
Choose Diamond Viper 550.   :)
Choose my custom monitor setting. Then Autoprobed(Don't worry, it doesn't
mind being probed time-to-time  :P   )  the video card & it works great.
Now X starts with default 1024x768  @  32Bit colour.

Thanks again,
Lou.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alberto Moreira)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.arch.storage,alt.os.linux,comp.periphs
Subject: Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 15:52:38 GMT

Also sprach Jim Sawyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :

>Andy Glew wrote:
>
>> comp.arch readers may know that I am very interested
>> in issues of how reliability for personal computers.
>>
>> In this instance, how to provide the reliability of RAID
>> and/or mirroring to computers that have only one disk
>> spindle, since the vast majority of PCs have only one
>> or two hard disks.
>>

>Very difficult to obtain even just truly horrible performance withthese constraints.
>Consider the following:
>
>    1) Disk geometry is virtual, not real.  This is to allow the disk
>        to function with a FAT file system, which cannot have > 1023 cylinders.
>        So the disk "pretends" to have more than one head per track.
>    2) Assuming 4 data blocks + 1 parity block, regardless of whether you solve (1),
>        you will at best need 4 diskOps to read a full "slice", 4 to write 1 block,
>        5 to write the full slice, 6 to write 2 blocks, 8 to write 3.
>    3) Avg seek time is ~10ms on a fast disk.  Trk to trk is ~2ms.
>        If the delay doesn't get you, the vibration will.
>        Clearly you want to stay on cylinder, right?
>    4) Unless you are very clever when you format the track, and again when
>        you allocate blocks on it, 4 diskOps even to a single cylinder means 4
>revolutions.
>        At 3600rpm, that's ~16ms per rev.
>        Often ignored, but slipping a rev is more expensive than seeking half way
>across the disk!
>        [Actually, going half way across is pretty quick.  It's the nearby tracks
>that are killers.
>        Think in terms of acceleration to see why.]
>
>    Bottom line: 2 older, cheap slow disks with a stupid mirroring controller
>                        will beat the pants off any implementation of RAID on a
>single spindle.
>                        (Unless the RAID designers are truly gifted, and the
>implementation is perfect.)

There was a time, back in the late sixties and early to mid seventies,
where Univac 494s were sold to run in real-time transaction processing
shops and uptimes in excess of 99.5% were contractually committed to.

One of the schemes people used in those days was three disk drives,
each mirrorring each other, each on its own power supply - what's the
point of having redundancy if a power supply failure kills all drives
at once ? - one was live, the second was the hot standby, and the
third was what was called the "cold" standby. Moreover, these drives
were multiple-accessed by more than one processor, so one could
virtually walk to a disk unit or to a processor and hit the big red
switch, and the system would still be on-line, and no transaction
would be lost.

Anyone from the old SAS or Lufthansa systems out there to tell us in
detail how it was done ?

Alberto.

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how do i enable serial support in the kernel?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:36:55 +0100

Andrew Lee wrote:

> more specifically, where is the option for it in make menuconfig?

It is in Character devices.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking For Intel Pro 10+ ISA Drivers...
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:42:40 +0100

iBNSLo wrote:

> Looking For Intel Pro 10+ ISA Drivers...
> Any suggestions on where to look?????

I would guess that you should use the EtherExpressPro support which
sorts below "Other ISA cards". However, if you are not sure, try to boot
from the Slackware NFS installation boot disk. That one is able to
autodetect most network cards.

regards Henrik

From: "Lou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus v3400TNT & Linux
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 04:27:55 +1000

Hi,
Upgrade to the latest XFree86 3.3.3.1   works great.

Lou.

------------------------------

From: Kyle Gonzales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UltraDMA in RedHat 5.2 & Mouse Scrolling
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:00:02 -0500

I have two questions:

1)  My UltraDMA drive was not supported in RH5.1.  Now that I am
upgrading to RH5.2,  will I have UltraDMA drive support?

2)  Has anyone implemented scrolling mouse wheels or switches for
Linux?  If they have not, I would be willing to send some hardware if
they can implement a driver (hopefully a universal driver that would
work with all scrolling mice).

Kyle Gonzales

From: "Lou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DIAMOND VIPER 550 AND AGP
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 04:33:12 +1000

Hi,
I am using the Diamond Viper 550 16MB AGP under Linux.

Have you updated XFree86 to the latest 3.3.3.1?
I did & its works great now.

Run Xconfigurator.
Choose Viper 550.
When it asks to Autoprobe your video card(Not your chipset timing thing)
choose yes. It will detect it as being able to support 32bpp .. etc.  And
use it as default.

Worked for me.

Lou.

------------------------------

From: Hao Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:05:38 -0500

I have a dell with the US robotics sponster Winmodem, which works fine
with Win98 and WinNT on my system. But it fails to support my newly
installed Redhat Linux 5.2, which has no support for Winmodem.

I wonder if buying a new modem is the only way out, or, if I have to buy
a new modem, what kind of modem can be used: anyone that are not
Winmodem?

From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: QIC02 TAPE, SuSE 5.3.. how to install and read? Thank you fellows in
advance!
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:36:26 +0000

Blackey wrote:

> I have old fashion QIC02 Tape (150MB extended to 250MB) which is connected
> through slot as modem etc and then, as a 25pin connector to the external
> drive. I think that manufacturer is ARCHIVE.
>
> According instructions I made new kernel but I don't know how to init
> (mount) and to read data from tape.

Visit
 http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/
and make sure that you have the latest version. There you will also find
extensive documentation. If you still have problems, ask on the ftape
list, mentioned in the documentation.

ael
--
Dr A E Lawrence (from home)

comp.os.linux.x,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MX300 does it work in Linux¿
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Gasior)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:38:42 GMT

In article <79237a$fbq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says ...

>Does the Diamond MX300 sound card work in Linux?

No, but 4Front Technologies was working on a driver.

        http://www.opensound.com

David A Gasior                           h: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Developer Relations, Aureal               w: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please note that this post reflects my own opinions, and not
necessarily those of my employer.  If they want to share any
thoughts, they can post their own messages!       :)

From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tape backup drive support
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:39:24 +0000

R.H. wrote:

> I have a Teac Internal Backup Tape drive that I use with Win98.  It is
> installed in parallel with the floppy controller cable.  Does anyone
> know if it is possible to use it with Linux.  I have Caldera Linux 1.3
> with a 2.0.35 kernal.

Sounds as if ftape will fly it: see