From: Shad Van Den Hul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually gotten a Lexmark 3200 to work?
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 12:59:58 -0400

I got some partial drivers for a Lexmark 5700, but I lost the url for them.
The 3200 should be able to use the same driver.

------------------------------

From: Mark Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.scsi
Subject: Re: Panasonic CD Recorder CW-7502-B
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 22:39:11 -0500

I sure could use some help here.  Has anyone used this under Linux?  Is it
crap? Or, is it Ok for the $150 or so at Onsale.

------------------------------

From: steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to install LILO into a HD on Promise UDMA card?
Date: 25 May 1999 16:31:11 GMT

Bill Donaldson wrote:
> I just got the 5.2 red hat package, and noticed from the Red Hat
> website that the promise card is not supported. What did you do to get
> Liinux installed?
>
> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:14:53 -0500, Lung-Yung Chu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi:
> >    I have a 6.4GB HD from WD and it is connected on the Promise
> >UDMA card. I can install RH 5.2 on it without problems except
> >the LILO. After I checked t he Ultra-DMA HOWTO. It said I
> >might need a patch for the LILO. Can somebody point me a direction
> >where I can find more infomation on this topic?
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >

> >Lung-Yung Chu
>
> Bill Donaldson
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Let me ask you all this dumb question;  how do I get my system to (re)boot
when a drive fails?  I've read through all this, and tried some of the
suggested fixes.  Here's what I've got:  Two WD 4.3gig hdd's connected to
the Promise Ultra 33 RAID controller.  I'm rinning RH 6.0 only (no windows
or any other opsys).  When I disconnect hde to test the raid, I get a
kernel panic message.  When I reconnect it, all's fine again.  Any
suggestions for this problem?  Thanks y'all!!

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Carey Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Temperature Probe
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:54:47 -0400

Does anyone know of any software, or commentary on how to write software,
that will probe the BIOS/Mainboard sensors?  I want my server to monitor its
own mainboard temperature so I can check it remotely, or have the server
page me.

--
Carey Barnett
Systems.*

------------------------------

From: "Binaryplanetman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Avermedia + xawtv + bttv = No Sound
Date: 25 May 1999 17:43:32 GMT

I have that sound problem too and my PAL video standard de-coder doesn't
seem to be working properly. I have a BT848 based MMTV100(UK) TV card.

Any help appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy)
Subject: Re: Voodoo3 XServer Detailed Installation Help Please
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:41:28 GMT

On Fri, 14 May 1999 05:04:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

go to the directory where ou put the rpm's and do:
rpm -Uvh (note the case!) *.rpm
then just run xf86setup

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: After install, RH5.2 claims "fs iso9660 not supported by kernel"
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:29:41 +0200

Fuzzy wrote:
> "fs iso9660 not supported by kernel"
>
> This is unbelievable!  It's the same drive that was used to install
> from!

It seems as if your kernel doesn't support the iso9660 filesystem which
is used on CDs. You will have to recompile your kernel:

cd /usr/src/linux ; make xconfig ; make dep; make clean; make bzImage

Make sure to add support for the iso9660 filesestem when doing make
xconfig. If you don't wan't to recompile your kernel you might be able
to load some module with iso9660 support, but I'm not familiar with
redhat.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: diagnostic software
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:43:14 +0200

Steve Feil wrote:
> I was wanting to know what diagnostic software there is that runs
> under Linux.  I'm primarily interested in programs that test memory
> and hard drives.

For testing memory there is a program called Memtest86 which doesn't
really run in Linux, but has borrowed a lot of code from Linux. I
haven't tried it myself and I don't remember where to find it, but maybe
you will find it if you do at search at altavista or somewhere else.

> I was able to create a new partition table using fdisk. Then I
> created a ext2 file-system with mkfs. I was wondering how thorough do
> mkfs and fdisk test the integrity of a hard drive?

There is no testing with fdisk, it is fully possible to create
partitions on broken disks.

There is some testing with mkfs if you give the -c switch. However, this
is only a fast readonly test.

regards Henrik

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Streaming Live Audio/Video with Linux???
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:56:35 +0200

Mike Gorsuch wrote:
> This is what we think we need

> a video/audio capture card supported under linux that will support
> recording the audio and video onto disk.

I'm able to capture sound and images with my Hauppage WinTV PCI using
bttvgrab. However, I haven't found any way to capture more than one
image per second. The sound is captured using the soundcard which is
connected to line-out from the WinTV.

regards Henrik

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy)
Subject: Re: TMC TI5VGF (VIA MVP3)  2Mb: "Win 95 shutoff"
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:41:33 GMT

On 19 May 1999 13:30:59 GMT, J. van Mourik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

LOL, hope not!
No, it just means it supports the ACPI functions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy)
Subject: Re: MS natural kbd and RH6 XFree86
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:41:35 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 20:00:26 -0000, "RBasham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

X posting? not very nice, thank you!
I tried setting it with a UK keymap, seems it's not a supported
combination yet.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy)
Subject: Re: 3D accel for Voodoo3?
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:41:31 GMT

On 16 May 1999 20:53:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

I had the 3dfx server running fine under RH5.2 but under RH6 it
doesn't seem to want to know, anyone else had this problem? The rpm's
install fine, did xstart --showconfig and it shows only the vga16 and
mono servers as being configured.

------------------------------

From: Totally Lost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,csu.unix.linux
Subject: Dual Celeron's and SMP Performance Problems
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 16:56:40 GMT

The work done by Tomohiro Kawada and others has been interesting.
I can think of a number of applications where dual/quad overclocked
Celeron's can produce very cost effective clusters for number crunching.
The crypt cracking teams will get a great windfall from this work.

I do performance studies and optimization for a living. One of the
biggest problems people have porting applications from big iron
SMP servers to X86 SMP servers is memory foot print and working
set locality problems which make X86 SMP scaling difficult at best.

Big Iron SMP servers typically have larger L1/L2 caches with
a much faster memory subsystem under them. The size of the
working set directly predicts the performance of most
applications. To help clients understand this I often use the following
visual aid in my presentations, which is the output of a tool
I use to measure the performance of their system as the working
set size is increased:

Counts are thousands of MemOps/second.
SunOS svr20 5.5.1 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

Set  Sequential Random
Size  Cnt   Pct Cnt   Pct
===== ========= ========= 0%        25%        50%        75%       100
   2K 29685 100 21271 100 |          |          |         *|          @
   3K 29657 100 21244 100 |                              *            @
   4K 29652 100 21231 100 |          |          |        * |          @
   6K 29644 100 21264 100 |                               *           @
   8K 29652 100 21203 100 |          |          |        * |          @
  12K 29644 100 21245 100 |                              *            @
  16K 29625 100 21221 100 |          |          |        * |          @
  24K 10996  37 18120  85 |               @          *
  32K  7943  27 16190  76 |          |@         | *        |          |
  48K  7941  27 13716  64 |           @       *
  64K  7939  27 12067  57 |          |@     *   |          |          |
  96K  7943  27 10802  51 |           @   *
 128K  7947  27  9877  46 |          |@  *      |          |          |
 192K  7946  27  9837  46 |           @  *
 256K  7909  27  9828  46 |          |@  *      |          |          |
 384K  7773  26  9806  46 |           @  *
 512K  7652  26  9766  46 |          @  *       |          |          |
 768K  7619  26  9765  46 |          @  *
1024K  7580  26  9755  46 |          @  *       |          |          |
1536K  2164   7  9642  45 |  @          *
   2M  2045   7  9634  45 |  @       |  *       |          |          |
   3M  2044   7  9602  45 |  @          *
   4M  2041   7  9595  45 |  @       |  *       |          |          |
   6M  2038   7  9592  45 |  @          *
   8M  2042   7  8823  41 |  @       | *        |          |          |
  12M  2035   7  8720  41 |  @         *
  16M  1863   6  8723  41 |  @       | *        |          |          |
  24M  2023   7  8596  40 |  @         *
  32M  1657   6  9590  45 | @        |  *       |          |          |
  48M    10   0  8040  38 @           *
  64M    40   0  6552  31 @         *|          |          |          |

The graph is plotted with all values relative to the first sequential
value. The test reflects the performance losses due to the working
set size impact on the VM/Cache/Memory subsystems. This includes
TLB misses, cache misses and memory latency. Cache design and memory
allocation coloring present very different responses to this test.
Poorly colored memory with direct mapped caches shows up with early
degradation slopes, while good coloring produces sharp fall-offs at
each cache boundry.

This particular machine didn't have a lot of
memory and started paging above 32M, with 32K L1 and 1024K L2 cache
sizes. Increasing the working set by a single cache line
often reduces the performance to the next larger (and slower)
memory object.

In a real system, there are many sources that scale into the working
set size(s). The size of the active interrupt service routines and
OS scheduler are often near the size of L1/L2 caches on many X86
systems, thus each interrupt flushes the cache and effectively runs
at memory or L2 cache speeds. In an SMP system, both CPU's have to
share the memory performance. If the L1/L2 caches are too small, then
two processors are worse than one, because they will flush each other
with distributed interrupts. The cost of flushing the cache by context
switches and interrupts is two 2X ... memory cycles required to bring
in the new context/interrupt plus the memory cycles required to replace
the active process memory on exit. One reason that X86 SMP servers
may scale, is that network interrupt loads that flush a uniprocessor,
only impact one processor in a multiprocessor system ... especially
if the interrupts are bound to a single processor. Ditto for the disk
subsystems. SCSI controllers that have high interrupt loading can
kill an SMP server if the interrupts are distributed. NCR825's are
a very good example when used with very poor SCSI scripts and drivers.

Understanding the locality and working set sizes, some X86 vendors
have post processed their kernel builds to improve locality and
placement. The work done by the SCO Unixware team on the object code
segments has produced remarkable results. These vendors often have
large kernels and feature sets, with same/better overall performance.

Celron's with their 128K L2 cache can easily produce worse performance
under modest to heavy load than a single processor in an SMP system.
In many server systems, even dual PII's with 512K L2 caches fail to
scale or produce negative results under modest to heavy work loads.
In some applications, even Xenon's large caches fail to scale or
produce negative results in comparision to uniprocessors of the same
architecture. Simply put, it's not uncommon to find applications where
two processors trashing the caches with SMP interrupts or shared memory
produce much worse performance than the same system with only a single
processor enabled.

Linux is not well multi-threaded, and has a pretty large foot print
with very little locality in either the OS or it's primary applications.
I would expect that for many users, dual Celeron's may have a negative
performance impact much of the time.

To observe that Dual Celron's produce an observed improvement under
certain lightly loading applications may be true. To assert that
they scale under modest to heavy work loads is probably a huge mistake.
To expect that they will scale well under Linux with heavy loads is
almost certainly folly.

John Bass
UNIX Systems Consultant

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy)
Subject: Re: AMD K6-III -- does it work?
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:41:30 GMT

On Sat, 15 May 1999 12:46:51 +0100, Arif H Saleem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Well, I "officially" own a K6-3 450 ;-)
And it works fine.

------------------------------

From: killbill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help w/ Adaptec 1510 install!
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 13:38:06 GMT

In article <7icd2r$hfm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am trying to install a SCSI controller that requires Adaptec 1510
> files ...

Is this an adaptec 1510 controller, or one advertised as being
compatible with a 1510 controller?  For example, the Iomega zip zoom is
a 1510 compatible card, but it physically a different card (but with the
same chipset).  This will matter further down, when you ask how to
configure it.

> and I don't know if Linux 5.2 comes with them already

You are confusing your distribution with your kernal.  You probably mean
that you are running the RedHat 5.2 distribution, which includes the
Linux kernal, but also includes a boatload of GNU and other opensource
products.  The kernal revision (which is also important, but can usually
be deduced if you indicate your distribution) is a number like 2.0.35,
and you can find it by typing "uname -a".

To answer your question, it is availble with the distribution, but will
need to be specially configured.

Look at the HOW-TO files for building kernals, and the SCSI HOWTO, and
read through them patiently.  All the information you need is there.
Basically, you will be rebuilding your kernal with module support for
the aha152x driver (which supports your aha1510 card), then starting the
module (It is possible support is already built into your kernal, I am
not sure).

After you have kernal support for the module, you will use a command
like "insmod aha152x aha152x=0x340,12" (I am going from memory here,
don't quote me on this) depending on how you have jumpered your card for
IRQ and IO addresses.  The Adaptec 1510 card lacks a bios and will NOT
autoprobe, you must supply the arguments.

> and if not where can I get them. Also, how would I install and
> configure the card?

The actual Adaptec 1510 card has a couple of jumpers, if I recall
correctly.  The first selects one of four possible IRQ selects, and the
other chooses a primary (0x340?) or a secondary (0x140?) IO address.
Again, I am quoting this from memory, so take it with a grain of salt.

You have everything you need on your RedHat 5.2 CD-Rom.  Start with the
HOWTO documents.  It will be a lot of work to understand it all the
first time through, but you will learn BUNCHES, and it is all within
your reach.

If you are willing to work at it, I will work with you (I have one of
the cards laying around and a backed up beater Redhat 5.2 system I could
throw it in).  Feel free to email me with specific questions.

--
Bil Kilgallon ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
--"I believe, what I believe, has made me what I am.  I did not make