Linux-Hardware Digest #322, Volume #14            Fri, 9 Feb 01 22:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Sound card in Mandrake 7.2 (Dag Kvammen)
  Re: Hey! Dial Up Question! ("HOLY SHIT!")
  Re: 3.1g drive on 486? (ra300z)
  Re: Hey! Dial Up Question! (The Pro)
  linksys LNE100TX version 4 problem with syld.com netdriver package...
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Umax Astra 3400 Scanner (USB) (John-Paul Stewart)
  Re: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz ("lobotomy")
  3CP5610A modem and troubles getting out to Internet ("Greg S. Trouw")
  Re: Umax Astra 3400 Scanner (USB) (Gary I Kahn)
  Re: USB Scanner Canon N650U (Gary I Kahn)
  Digital LCD monitor and digital video card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HP LaserJet 3100 printer ("Richard J. Donovan")
  Re: hdparm -t "reference values" ("Anthony Pioli")
  Re: Linux running hotter than 98SE ("Anthony Pioli")
  Re: linksys LNE100TX version 4 problem with syld.com netdriver package... (Marcus
Lauer)
  Re: KT7-RAID and linux (help) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: hdparm -t "reference values" (Marcus Lauer)
  Re: DPT PM3754U2 and RedHat 7.0 (Marcelo Rodrigues)
  Re: win2k and linux
  Re: win2k and linux

From: Dag Kvammen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound card in Mandrake 7.2
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:28:40 +0100

I have not been able to configure my SB 16 sound card and I really
don't know why... When I use DrakeConf and test the card I get sound,
using the following configuration..

I/O 280  IRQ 5  DMA8 1  DMA16/2  5   MPU 401  I/O  300  OPL3 I/O 388

but when the test has finished I get an error message like this,

/lib/modules/2.2.17-21mkd/misc/opl3.0:init_module: The unit or
recource is occupied
/lib/modules/2.2.17-21mkd/misc/opl3.0:insmod/lib/modules/2.2.17_21mkd/misc/opl3.0
failed /lib modules/2.2.17_21 mkd/misc/opl.0: insmod  midi0 failed

And then everything is as before, the sound card isn't working. Any
ideas of where the conflict might be?

Dag

------------------------------

From: "HOLY SHIT!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.2600.hackerz,alt.hackers.groups,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Hey! Dial Up Question!
Date: 09 Feb 2001 23:38:04 GMT

who are you askin

news:961rdd$q66$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: ra300z <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3.1g drive on 486?
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 23:40:05 GMT

On 9 Feb 2001 21:19:36 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Todd) wrote:

>       Linux does not use the bios to access the hd, and should see
> the whole drive.
>Did you check with fdisk to see if there's empty space?

Thanks.  No i did not get that far.  I assumed that because the drive
wasn't recognized in the BIOS that Linux wouldn't recognize it.

Never assume :)

---
http://go.to/ra300z

------------------------------

From: The Pro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.2600.hackerz,alt.hackers.groups,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:03:40 GMT

In article <961v0s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "HOLY SHIT!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> who are you askin

coma! I believe Munga Bunga called her a dudette!
Leading me to believe that either it's a female or MB is stupid!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linksys LNE100TX version 4 problem with syld.com netdriver package...
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:16:29 GMT

Hello,

I'm trying to install a Linksys LNE100TX NIC on my computer running
Redhat 7.0.  The Linksys is version 4.  I'm following the directions
at http://www.syld.com/network/updates.html but I am running into some
problems.  The directions at that site are as follows:

# Transfer the Scyld PCI Netdriver package
rpm -i ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdriver-2.1.src.rpm
# Build the binary version for your kernel
cd /usr/src/{redhat,TurboLinux}/
rpm -bb SPECS/netdriver.spec
# Now install it your newly built package.
rpm -i --force RPMS/i386/netdriver-2.1-*.i386.rpm

I am in the /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS directory when I run the rpm -i
ftp... command.  When I cd to /usr/src/redhat and try to run rpm -bb
SPECS/netdriver.spec, I get the following messages/errors...

[root@taxor redhat]# rpm -bb SPECS/netdriver.spec

Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.95994
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ rm -rf netdrivers-2.1.6
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/netdrivers-2.1.6.tar.gz
+ tar -xf -
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd netdrivers-2.1.6
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
+ /bin/chown -Rhf root .
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
+ /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
+ /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,g-w,o-w .
+ exit 0
Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.95994
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd netdrivers-2.1.6
+ make all
kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6
-I/usr/src/linux/include -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -DMODVERSIONS   -c
-o pci-skeleton.o pci-skeleton.c
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/pgtable.h: In function
`get_pgd_slow':
In file included from
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/linux/vmalloc.h:7,
                 from /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/io.h:102,
                 from pci-skeleton.c:105:
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/pgtable.h:409: `PAGE_OFFSET_RAW'
undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/pgtable.h:409: (Each undeclared
identifier is reported only once
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/pgtable.h:409: for each function
it appears in.)
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/pgtable.h: In function
`pte_alloc_kernel':
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/pgtable.h:498: `PAGE_OFFSET_RAW'
undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/pgtable.h:506: warning: control
reaches end of non-void function
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/pgtable.h: In function
`pte_alloc':
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/pgtable.h:516: `PAGE_OFFSET_RAW'
undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/io.h: In function `virt_to_phys':
In file included from pci-skeleton.c:105:
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/io.h:116: `PAGE_OFFSET_RAW'
undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/io.h:118: warning: control reaches
end of non-void function
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/io.h: In function `phys_to_virt':
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/io.h:125: `PAGE_OFFSET_RAW'
undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/io.h:127: warning: control reaches
end of non-void function
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/io.h: In function
`check_signature':
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/asm/io.h:184: `PAGE_OFFSET_RAW'
undeclared (first use in this function)
pci-skeleton.c: In function `netfin_probe1':
pci-skeleton.c:435: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
pci-skeleton.c:466: `PAGE_OFFSET_RAW' undeclared (first use in this
function)
pci-skeleton.c:468: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pci-skeleton.c:431: warning: `np' might be used uninitialized in this
function
pci-skeleton.c:472: warning: `s' might be used uninitialized in this
function
pci-skeleton.c:472: warning: `s' might be used uninitialized in this
function
pci-skeleton.c:472: warning: `s' might be used uninitialized in this
function
pci-skeleton.c:472: warning: `s' might be used uninitialized in this
function
pci-skeleton.c: In function `eeprom_read':
pci-skeleton.c:562: `PAGE_OFFSET_RAW' undeclared (first use in this
function)
pci-skeleton.c: In function `mdio_sync':
# a whole slew of similar error messages are here             ########

pci-skeleton.c: In function `cleanup_module':
pci-skeleton.c:1466: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pci-skeleton.c:1467: warning: passing arg 1 of `unregister_netdev'
from incompatible pointer type
pci-skeleton.c:1472: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:70: Warning: Ignoring changed section attributes for
.modinfo
make: *** [pci-skeleton.o] Error 1

I would just try the compile myself but I'm not very familiar with
compiling software and I don't even know if that would fix the
problem.  Any ideas as to what might be causing this problem and how I
can fix
it?

Thanks!
RW

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Umax Astra 3400 Scanner (USB)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:24:28 GMT

Is anyone using out there using a Umax Astra 3400 USB
scanner under Linux?  Are there any compatibility problems?
I'm considering buying one (they're on sale at a local
retailer) and want some input before I spend any money.

The scanner isn't mentioned at all at
http://www.linux-usb.org/ (at least not that I can find).

It's listed but with only minimal information at the Linux
Hardware Database (http://lhd.zdnet.com/).

I'd like any feedback I can get from the NG about this
particular scanner.  Real-world experiences would be good,
as would references to other web sites.  BTW I'll be using
kernel 2.4.0 or 2.4.1.

Thanks!

J-P Stewart

------------------------------

From: "lobotomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:53:23 GMT

Do a Deja search on that topic,  there was a post about it recently.
Apparently it does work, if you load the cs46xx driver and then the ac97
codec driver.

--
PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =

------------------------------

From: "Greg S. Trouw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3CP5610A modem and troubles getting out to Internet
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 18:10:17 -0700

    I've been on a T3 connection for about 3 years and yet have recently
moved.  Due to problems with the CO being out of circuits for a new DSL
line until a DSLAM comes in I'm stuck on dialup :-( :-(  I bought a new
mobo [Asus A7V] and processor 1 GHz T-bird on Monday.  Because my old
modem was an ISA modem (which I've preferred as almost all PCI modems
are the dreaded winmodem) and the Asus A7V has no ISA slots I had to buy
a new modem.

    While in Best Buy, picked up a US Robotics 56K Performance Pro Modem
(3CP5610A) which on the box indicates that it is a controller based
modem (so gathering not a winmodem that wasn't marked as one) and says
that it supports Linux.

    LinuxConf recognizes the modem as a USR 3CP5610, so is listed under
hardware devices (though it listed a kernel unknown).  However I can't
seem to create a dialup connection.

1.    Are the drivers for this loaded?  If not, where do I get these
from?

2.    If the drivers are loaded, what do I need to do to allow myself to
dial out?  I'm not sure it's finding the device on COM 3 (where in
win2k, the driver install automatically put it).  If it's somewhere
else, how to find out in Linux?

    What I have now is an install of Mandrake 7.2  I have recompiled the
kernel to 2.4.0-prerelease.  (OK, that's about a 1 or so months old
now...but if I can get it up...well how big was this thing again?  I
didn't think about that when I was downloading with a T3 connection, but
with a 56K :-(  Well maybe latter when I have more time, I'll go through
the drudgery which is waiting for big downloads on a dialup connection,
but for now I need my computer more immediately as there's things I need
to do on a dialup, some of which needs to be done in Linux with some
needing Windows.)  Yes I did add the stuff for PPP into the kernel for
recompilation.

System
========
- 1 GHz AMD Thunderbird
- Asus A7V with 1005c BIOS
- 384 MB Corsair PC100 CAS 2 SDRAM with ECC
- Hercules Prophet II GTS 32 MB
- Adaptec SCSI card 29160
- 37.6 GB Seagate Cheetah for u160 SCSI (ST336704LW)
- 9.1 GB Seagate Cheetah for u2w SCSI (ST39102LW)
- Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 (currently going to hub here in my house
and networked with a PII 400.  Not going out to Internet this way until
DSL *finally!!!* [big sigh with slight grumble] arrives
- Creative Labs SB Live Value! (the original retail value card)
- USR/3Com 56K Performance Pro 3CP5610A

------------------------------

From: Gary I Kahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Umax Astra 3400 Scanner (USB)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:12:58 -0500

> Is anyone using out there using a Umax Astra 3400 USB
> scanner under Linux?  Are there any compatibility problems?

The SANE project (http://www.mostang.com/sane) is where you need to go to
find out about scanners that work under linux.  According to the "Backends"
part of that site (http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html), Umax
USB scanners are not currently supported.

Also, I recommend that you visit the related USB site:
http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html.  Unless you plan on
writing your own linux driver,s it looks like all of the
currently-supported USB scanners are sold by either HP or Epson.  All
current Epson USB scanners appear to be supported.  HP, in spite of all of
its supposed support for linux, is not supporting linux with scanners at
the low end of the price scale.

Happy hunting.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Gary I Kahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB Scanner Canon N650U
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:21:26 -0500

Markus Kiener wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Does anyone know how to install an USB scanner?
> I have installed  Mandrake 7.2 and KDE ....
>
> Thanks for any hint (or link to beginner's documentation) in advance!
>            Markus

The Canon N650U is not yet supported under linux because Canon hasn't
released the necessary information.  See the following websites for
additional information about linux and scanners.

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Digital LCD monitor and digital video card
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:29:01 GMT

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience using LCD monitor
with digital video card through digital input
signal without using any analog signal conversion?
In order to maximize the benefit of LCD monitor's digital
feature, I think it is desirable to use digital video card instead
of analog one.

I tried to buy SGI 1600SW LCD monitor with 3D Lab's Oxygen
VX1-1600SW video card, but my co-worker told me they have
some problem with Linux.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Hiro

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Richard J. Donovan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet 3100 printer
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:41:06 GMT

Patrick Cheung wrote:

> I have a problem setting up my HP LaserJet 3100 printer in Corel Linux OS
> Second Edition. Any suggestion where I can find a driver, or what other
> drivers I should try?
>
> Patrick

The last time I looked into this was several months ago -- but HP's
website, somewhere deed down in the support section, included a
statement that there existed no plans to offer or enable Linux support
of any kind for the 3100 multifunction device.  This was unequivocal.  I
have seen the same information here and there on the newsgroups and web.

Would that I had discovered Linux just a little sooner than I determined
to get my 3100!

------------------------------

From: "Anthony Pioli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hdparm -t "reference values"
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:56:01 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Alberto BARSELLA"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> You probably haven't turned DMA on.
>>
>> hdparm -d1 -u1 -X66 -m16
>
> On the VIA chipset -d1 is instant death (I tried :).  It's also in the
> 2.4.0 config help for the "use DMA" option: it says to stay clear of
> DMA when using VIA chipsets (the default compile of 2.4.0 dies at boot
> time on this machine).

FYI, I *just* got an ABIT KT7A-RAID board and installed it. Using the old
drives, floppy, case, etc. Linux booted OK (some warnings occured,
but the system is working), and the 1st thing I did was hdparm -t to
check my system. Got the same old result, ~3.5MB/sec.

So, I turned on DMA mode and Im back to about 8MB/sec, no problems
(My new ATA drive should be here Monday... :)

So, I have the VIA chipset (KT133A) and Im using DMA

Anthony

------------------------------

From: "Anthony Pioli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux running hotter than 98SE
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 02:00:47 GMT

> Under 'doze my system idles at around 30 C.  Under linux, with no system
>  activity, idle is around 48 C.  Load under both OS is around 54 C.

Silly question - how did you get this info? I just got a KT7A board
and would like to find out the CPU temp also....

Thanks!

Anthony

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 18:08:10 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install a Linksys LNE100TX NIC on my computer running
> Redhat 7.0.  The Linksys is version 4.  I'm following the directions
> at http://www.syld.com/network/updates.html but I am running into some
> problems.  The directions at that site are as follows:
>
> # Transfer the Scyld PCI Netdriver package
> rpm -i ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdriver-2.1.src.rpm
> # Build the binary version for your kernel
> cd /usr/src/{redhat,TurboLinux}/
> rpm -bb SPECS/netdriver.spec
> # Now install it your newly built package.
> rpm -i --force RPMS/i386/netdriver-2.1-*.i386.rpm

        Did you happen to read the "Special instructions for RedHat 7.0"
section, a little further down?  At the very least, you definately should use
kgcc instead of gcc.

                                                         Marcus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: KT7-RAID and linux (help)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 02:03:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Samir Moulay) wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install RedHat 7.0 on my PC but
I encountered some
> troubles (I also tried RedHat 6.2, Corel and
Mondrake an all refuse to
> install on the machine).
> When I choose any kind of install (custom,
server ….) Linux pop a
> message saying that he can’t find the media to
install on.
> So I am stuck at this point.
> Does Linux support RAID (I don’t need it cause
I have only one HDD –
> it’s an AATA100 plugged in ide 3 on the KT7-
RAID board-).
> Is there anything that I can do ?
> Do I need to install some drivers ?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Posted from field.videotron.net
[205.151.222.108]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server -
http://www.Mailgate.ORG

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but
it worked for me with Mandrake 7.2.  Boot into
windows and find the I/O address for the hard
disk.  Take the first two list entries.

Then, when you boot from CD, issue the following:

linux (or expert or whatever)
ide2=0xfirstaddress,0xsecondaddress+2

For example, if in windows you get

8800 something else
8400 something else

boot by saying:

linux ide2=0x8800,0x8402

Note that you will have to append that to LILO to
boot into your newly installed system as well...

Ciao,

Trin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 18:15:12 -0800

Alberto BARSELLA wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've installed yesterday a new motherboard+processor: a MSI
> K7T Pro 2-A.  Now my Udma66 disk really works as Udma66, but the
> transfer rate is slow.  I get around 4.1-4.3 Mb/second, which is not
> what I expected (I had more with the old Ali15xx chipset).
> I've tweaked a bit the settings with hdparm, notably hdparm -c 3
> /dev/hda, which raises the performance into the 6-7 Mb/sec range.
> Still, I'm surprised that a modern 20Gb seagate disk does not perform
> significantly better than my old 4 Gig Quantum fireball....
> (BTW after the -c 3 I had the system freeze during a kernel recompile,
> can it be related?)
>
> What are some "reference values" I should expect with this chipset/hd
> setup? (I'm running 2.2.17, and I'll compile the latest 2.4 as soon as
> possible!).
>
> Bye and thanks,
> Alberto

        First of all, that MB uses a new South Bridge (the vt686a) which is
only supported in the latest kernels (2.4.1+).  So be sure to get the latest!

        Anyway, same board, 2x128MB ram, UDMA33 drive (WD Caviar 7200rpm):

hdparm -Tt /dev/hda:

Timing buffer-cache reads: 139.13 MB/s
Timing buffered disk reads: 22.54 MB/s

                                                               Marcus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED](Marcelo Rodrigues)
Subject: Re: DPT PM3754U2 and RedHat 7.0
Date: 10 Feb 2001 02:42:27 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Alex Moen wrote:
> Has anyone gotten the DPT PM3754U2 RAID Controller to install with RH7?
> I can't seem to get the darn installation to recognize the card.  I've
> looked on RedHat's site, they have no reference to this controller, at
> least in the Hardware list (it's on the older [6.2,6.1] releases).  I've
> also looked thru DPT's site, and found info on installing from 6.0 to
> 6.2, but nothing newer...
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

The newer DPT cards use the I2O protocol instead of the EATA protocol. I
think ( but don't know it for sure ) that RH  installation only  supports the
 EATA  protocol.
Did you try following the instructions for installation on RH 6.2 that you
found
at the  DPT site, or does that not work at all ? Rather than installing
directly
it may help to first install onto an IDE drive and later move the
installation
to the drives  hanging on the DPT card after you get it working.

--
"NeXTMail"  OK at this address only.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: win2k and linux
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 21:44:56 -0500

POSTED AND MAILED.

You'll get this around Saturday morning.  If you have time during the week
 about half a day, preferably the afternoon half ) then proceed. Otherwise
wait till the weekend. The switching from one os to another can get a little
confusing.

1) Leave the MBR alone  from lilo's point of view  , and keep it in the
linux boot partition. leave the dos mbr in place.
2) Make a separate boot partition for each of the microsoft OS'es ( that way
they will have less opportunity to muck up other installations ).

3)  Make sure the boot partitions of the OSes are within the 1024 cylinder
limit.

4) When installing 98 or nt4 or win2k , make sure that the appropriate boot
partition is marked  bootable AND active.

5) Win98's C: drive must not be in the same partition as win2k's C: drive ,
or you'll have hell to pay for down the road.
      Best way is for the first MS reable partition to be NTFS ( win98 can't
natively read it ) , and the second MS readable to be fat32 with win98 on
it. Win2k will be able to read win98's boot partition, but it will not be
"C:"  it will be something else . ( F in my case ) .

6) Have a battle plan :) .

For example :

I have Linix, Win2k and win98 on the same hdd ( 27GB maxtor ) , and they
behave ;) .

Ok, win98 may not be one's choice of "stable" os, but gaming under win2k is
pretty bad unless one plays one of the mainstream games like quake , unreal
etc. and I'd much rather fly an F-15 simulator or something.With that out of
the way, here's how I set up my disk : ( I used partition magic 5 to lay out
the partitions ) Hint : use the 2 "rescue floppies" .That's the same thing,
only,  works in dos .

hda1 to hda4 are the primary partitions.
Any one of these can be an extended partition , ie, one that can contains
sub-partitions  I think one can have about 64 partitions on a single ide
hard disk ( 1-63 ) . The PC architecture ( more precisely the BIOS ) is
limited to booting one of 4 partitions in the partition table ( those 4 are
the primary ( or first ) partitions. It will boot the partition that is
marked "active" .

Here's the layout.

active        hda1    10 MB    ext2 /boot   ( contains the kernel image )
bootable   hda2    2gig       ntfs5  win2k partition
bootable  hda3     2gig       fat32    win98 partitoin
extended  hda4     4010GB to 27 gig  - my extended partition

Now inside the extended partition:

hda5      2GB       fat32    (for windows )
hda6      200mb  ext2 / (root )
hda7      128mb  swap
hda8      128mb  swap
hda9      100MB  ext2 /var
hda10    2GB      ext2 /usr
hda11    500MB ext2 /root ( root user's home )
hda12    500MB  ext2 /tmp
hda13    6GB        fat32  ( for the games )
hda14    4GB        fat32   ( data exchange MS to linux and vice versa )
hda15    2GB        ext2     /home
hda16    4gig      ext2      /usr/local/datastore

Since hda1 is marked as active, the MBR code will boot it always, and guess
what sits in the first 512k of that partition...LILO.
So I see lilo first now, which allows me to boot  one of several linux
kernels, or win98 or NT5 ( win2k)  .

If I wanted to put ,say, WinME ( thank you,  but I'd rather not  ) , I would
load up fdisk or partition magic , and set the win98 or the win2k partition
as active , reboot , and proceed with the install install. As far as the OS
in question is concerned, it sees a primary active partition, and happily
parks itself there .

Once the nauseating cycle of reboots is completed, in goes the partition
magic disk, and I set the linux boot partition to active , taking care to
"unhide" the other two primaries. This will avoid those "NTOSKRNL.exe not
found" messages that sometimes prevents win2k from booting .( Why ?  )

1) Use  partition magic to make the partitions , but with one exception :
the win2k partition should be fat32 for installation. ( if your win2k cd is
not bootable, use the win98 floppy to boot and access the cdrom. )

2 ) mark the win2k as active,  reboot and install win2k

 If you don't install win98 ,skip to step 6.

3 ) hide the win2k partition ( don;t convert it yet ) .
4) mark the second 2 gig as active, reboot and install win98.
5 ) mark the win2k as active,and "unhide" the win98 partitoin.

6 ) boot into win2k, and convert to ntfs. ( you will have to reboot for it
to convert the file system.)

7)  Reboot and come up with the Partiton Magic disks.
8) mark the first partition ( ext2   /boot ) as active, and make sure to
"unhide" win2k partition.
9)  If you had put in win98 , unhide the win98 partition.

10) Reboot and start the linux install
11) When it asks you where to put lilo, put into the first sector or /boot .
12) Provide appropriate names for the other boot options  ( the installation
will id ntfs as HPFS and win98 as dos ).

You're set.

>From the above you may be thinking "that's complicated".  But it is not,
when you understand the underlying processes and ideas , like the
co-relation between dos volume labels ( C: , D: etc.. ) and the partitions
and their attributes .

A warning about win2k: Make sure your bios is compatable with win2k . I had
a "minor" problem which had to do with the fact that my hdd geomertry had
more than 1024 cylinders ( hdd > 8034MB ) , even in LBA.

Symptoms :
1) NT4 will fail to completely boot the multiprocessor kernel for the
installation .
2 ) Win2k will complete the install, but will generate "STOP" errors ( among
other IRQ_LEVEL_ errors in between random reboots) after the final reboot .
3) But win98 and linux work fine.

In my case, a bios _downgrade_  fixed it.

Another warning about win2k : Once installed , the OS takes up 1 gig of
space ( well 996MB is what 's used on my win2k boot partition).
So atleast 2 gig is necessary . Also , it is best _not_ to grab a huge 5 or
10 gig partition  as the win2k boot partition. In the event of an unexpected
reboot , you will have to check all the "dirty" partitions... Usually after
a boot, the only partition that is "dirty" is just the boot partition, so
the file system check should take much lesser time if it is small. Also ,
when win2k decides to go south, it will take only itself down, and keep your
data safe ( which is preferably on another partition ) .

hope I have not scared/bored you off.

news:960q75$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 21:54:48 -0500

>You must use Win2k loader to load both (see howto).
         ^^^^^
Could you explain why ? I think one can use either NTLDR or use lilo.