  Re: Intel 740 VideoChipset (Brian Roberson)

From: "Gary Spivey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Can't ping my Gateway (but I can ping my own IP address)
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 03:29:29 GMT

I just got a Palm Pilot ... So I had to free up a serial port ... so I had
to move my mouse to the PS/2 port ... so my IRQ's all changed (the ethernet
card was IRQ 12 which the PS/2 port takes).
All is well in windoze after some effort.

However, in Linux (Redhat 5.1 (2.0.34) which formerly worked fine), I had to
reconfigure the mouse, the ethernet card's (Intel ISA EtherExpress PRO/10+)
kernel options and also had to redo the /etc/isapnp.conf for the sound card.
I have the mouse and the sound card working,  but the network is acting odd.
Before the reconfigure, if I tried to ping my own IP address, it gave me a
host unreachable error - that made sense. After I reconfigured, it worked.
But I cannot ping my Gateway. The addresses are fine from windows
comparison, so I figure that I must be missing some edit in some file
somewhere.

Any ideas?
By the way, the Intel card is a Plug and Play card, but that capability has
been turned off ( as it was before when everything worked).

I have attached some of the configuration files ...

Cheers,
Gary Spivey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>From DMESG ...
Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory structure at 0x000fae20
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory entry at 0xfb2a0
pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb2d0
Probing PCI hardware.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 801.18 BogoMIPS
Memory: 64108k/66496k available (732k kernel code, 384k reserved, 1272k
data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
Linux version 2.0.34 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Fri
May 8 16:05:57 EDT 1998
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
Real Time Clock Driver v1.07
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
hda: Maxtor 90680D4, 6485MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=826/255/63
hdb: WDC AC31600H, 1549MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=787/64/63
hdc: 665A, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
 hda: hda1
 hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3
Adding Swap: 129020k swap-space (priority -1)
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 4.13 detected OK (220)
Installed 0
YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
1993-1996
Swansea University Computer Society IPX 0.34 for NET3.035
IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc.
Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
eth0: Intel 82595-based lan card at 0x210, 12:34:56:78:90, IRQ 11, 10BaseT.
eepro.c: v0.10 7/31/96 Bao C. Ha ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
eth0: set Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth0: set Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth0: set Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth0: set Rx mode to 1 addresses.

>From ISAPNP.CONF

# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.15a 1998/05/25 17:22:16 fox Exp $
# This is free software, see the sources for details.
# This software has NO WARRANTY, use at your OWN RISK
#
# For details of this file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
#
# For latest information on isapnp and pnpdump see:
# http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/
#
# Compiler flags: -DREALTIME -DNEEDSETSCHEDULER
#
# Trying port address 0203
# Trying port address 020b
# Board 1 has serial identifier 9a 00 12 8f 55 44 00 8c 0e

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x020b)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)

# Card 1: (serial identifier 9a 00 12 8f 55 44 00 8c 0e)
# Vendor Id CTL0044, Serial Number 1216341, checksum 0x9A.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
# ANSI string -->Creative SB32 PnP<--
#
# Logical device id CTL0031
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed
if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL0044/1216341 (LD 0
#     ANSI string -->Audio<--

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       IRQ 5.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
 (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
# (INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 1.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
 (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
#       Next DMA channel 5.
#             16 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
 (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0220
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0240))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0330
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
 (IO 1 (BASE 0x0330))
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0300))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0388
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
# (IO 2 (BASE 0x0388))
 (IO 2 (BASE 0x0388))

#     End dependent functions
 (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id CTL2011
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3b
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed
if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL0044/1216341 (LD 1
#     Compatible device id PNP0600
#     ANSI string -->IDE<--

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       IRQ 11.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
#(INT 0 (IRQ 11 (MODE +E)))
 (INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x01e8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x01e8
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x01e8))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x03ee
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03ee
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
 (IO 1 (BASE 0x03ee))

#     End dependent functions
 (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id CTL0021
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3b
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed
if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL0044/1216341 (LD 2
#     ANSI string -->WaveTable<--

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0620
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0620
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x0620))
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0640))

#     End dependent functions
 (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id CTL7001
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3b
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed
if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL0044/1216341 (LD 3
#     Compatible device id PNPb02f
#     ANSI string -->Game<--
#     Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#         Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#         Maximum IO base address 0x0200
#         IO base alignment 1 bytes
#         Number of IO addresses required: 8
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x0200))
 (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id CTL0051
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3b
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed
if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CTL0044/1216341 (LD 4
#     ANSI string -->StereoEnhance<--
#     Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#         Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#         Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#         IO base alignment 8 bytes
#         Number of IO addresses required: 1
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x0100))
 (ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)

>From /etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4="yes"
HOSTNAME=sparky
GATEWAY="12.12.12.12"  (The real gateway IP address here)
GATEWAYDEV="eth0"

>From  /etc/sysconfig/routed

EXPORT_GATEWAY="no"
SILENT="yes"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 03:33:27 GMT

I have no problem using Slakware or any other linux or UNIX on my K6-233 with
a Houston M550 board that has a 430TX board with a 64 meg dimm. I used to
have alot of problems with my PC crashing in any OS even linux. Then i put my
bus speed at 75MHz instead of 66 and downclocked my CPU to 225 and it works
gtreat no problems since.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Piniek aka Piotr Ingling)
Subject: Re: sound problem
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 21:59:26 GMT

Dnia 7 Feb 1999 20:03:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SuperArtem) napisał(a):

>I really need to get my sound card to work. I've read the Sound-HOWTO and it
What soundcard?

>doesn't help me much. I have tried recompiling the kernel several times with no
What version?

>success. But when I cat an .au file to /dev/audio I can hear it, I can also
>hear MIDI and CD's but I cant get anything else to play correctly. Specifically
>I can't get wavs and mp3's to play, and I'm sure the software works correctly.
What software?

>Any help appreciated.
If there's more info...

                         Piotr Ingling

                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IntelliMouse problem with XFree86
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:04:12 -0500

Your mouse must have a fairly weak wheel button spring - I can easily spin
the wheel on mine (MS Intellimouse PS/2) without actuating the button.
Have you looked inside to see if you can adjust the pressure or the throw?

Somewhere in the documentation for imwheel or in one of the HOWTOs
is the  instructions on remapping the mouse buttons.  If you want to use
the wheel as-is, you'll have to figure out how to remap button 2, the wheel
button,  to some null action.   The wheel itself looks like buttons 4 and 5.

------------------------------

From: "Jon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Mylex RAID controllers
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:20:32 -0500

I just found out Caldera released the Mylex DAC960 driver:
http://www.calderasystems.com/support/library/openlinux-1.3-010.5.html.

I'm still looking for eXtremeRAID 1100 driver.  I wish Redhat supported
Mylex RAID controllers...[sigh]...

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 over NT
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 23:08:00 -0500

Dan Cook wrote in message ...
>On Fri, 05 Feb 1999 22:19:20 GMT, eric malloy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>right now i am running windows nt4.0 workstation.. i just downloaded
>>redhat 5.2
>
>I'd recommend getting the $1.50 Cheapbytes CDROM of Redhat 5.2 from
>http://www.cheapbytes.com.  It has the wonderfull EZSTART.BAT zero
>floppy installation that gets you going in seconds from any DOS prompt.
>Very good installation documentation in HTML format on the CDROM too.
>
>- Dan

Both the Redhat 5.2 CD and Cheapbytes Redhat CD are both bootable.  This is
much faster than using a boot disk.
Of course your BIOS must support bootable CD and you must have your boot
order to have CD boot first.
Jim

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wacom Pen Partner Driver
Date: 08 Feb 1999 17:02:19 -0800

Did your try http://www.xfree86.org ?  Sometimes it pays to experiment.

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: Kent Rankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ensoniq SoundScape VIVO
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 06:42:57 GMT

Jon Hildebrand wrote:

> Wondering if anyone out there can help me.
>
> I have a Ensoniq SoundScape VIVO PnP card.  I'm using Red Hat 5.2
> (2.0.36).  Everytime I use sndconfig, it says that the device is busy or
> the resource is busy.  Now, I read somewhere that is you look at
> /dev/sndstat, you can figure out what might be going on.  Well, under
> Audio devices, it says there is a MSS audio codec (AD1845) (DUPLEX).
> I've went into the Kernel Configurator in XWindows and removed
> everything but the modules for my ethernet card.  But the MSS audio
> module keeps showing up all the time.  Does anybody know how I can kick
> the kernel into realizing I have a SoundScape VIVO and not a MSS?
> Thanks in advance.  I would like responses via e-mail only.
>
> Jon Hildebrand
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Any luck on this one?  I've been trying to fix it for quite some time.

-Kent Rankin

------------------------------

From: Lyle Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware OpenGL
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 22:07:02 -0700

Dave Aronson wrote:

> Is Extreme 3d from metrolink the only hardware accelerated OpenGL for
> linux?  I'm looking for open 1.1 support.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Xig is adding hardware accelleration to their OpenGL implementation, but
it's still in beta.  There is another company that has OpenGL driver for
a few higher end OpenGL cards, but I can't recall the name off the top
of my head.  I think if you follow some of the links from the Mesa 3D
page, there is info on what companies have hardware accellerated OpenGL.

Lyle

------------------------------

From: Xiaoyong Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Sound Blaster 16 PnP ...HELP......please
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:35:03 -0500

hi,
what do you mean kernel loads the card?
what's the result when you run: lsmod? and, have you tried to look at the
result of
cat /dev/sndstat ?
With all the information above, possibly I can help.
I just got my SB AWE64 working on Linux.

------------------------------

From: Ken Witherow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 8 Feb 1999 19:20:06 GMT

"Dr. Matthias K. Pieler" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have Sound Blaster 16 PnP and it simpley does not want to work..drives me
> slowley crazy
>
> kernel loads the card ......but still no sound .... :((
>
> please be gentel ....I'm a linux virgin
>
> Greetings from vienna

Is sound support compiled into (or as a module) the kernel? Also get a
package called isapnptools to setup the PNP stuff.

------------------------------

From: Dominick Samperi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Linux 2.2.1, Sysklogd 1.3-3, APMD problem
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:23:53 -0500

Hello,

I have a Toshiba 4025CDT laptop running Linux 2.2.1, and I just upgraded
sysklogd to 1.3-3 and apmd to 3.0beta5. There is a problem. Here are
the messages from /usr/adm/messages:

<machine> syslogd: 1.3-3: restart.
<machine> kernel: klogd 1.3-3, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
<machine> kernel: Loaded 5929 symbols from /System.map.
<machine> kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.2.1.
<machine> kernel: Error seeking in /dev/kmem
<machine> kernel: Error adding kernel module table entry.

The last two lines are issued by ksym_mod.c from the source directory
for sysklogd.

Another symptom of the problem is that poweroff (or halt -p) does
not work. The system comes down but the machine is not powered off (I
believe that this has something to do with sysklogd).

Before upgrading the laptop to Linux 2.2.1 it was running Slackware 3.6,
or Linux 2.0.35, and the shutdown/poweroff functionality worked fine.
Also, there were no error messages about seeking in /dev/kmem.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks,
Dominick

------------------------------

From: Brian Roberson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel 740 VideoChipset
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 23:08:51 GMT

Xiaoyong Wu wrote:

> What you need is just a new XServer,
> Just look for an Xserver that supports i740.
>
> Werner van Poeyer wrote:
>
> > I have a AGP videocard with the "intel 740" chip (Manufacturer DAYTONA).
> > Does anybody know how to get it working on Turbolinux or RedHat 4.2.
> >
> > Werner ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

see:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/XBF/

read the readme.i740