From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drake Diedrich)
Subject: Re: Linux and 486
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:11:24 GMT

On 14 Mar 1999 15:57:41 GMT, Geoff Short <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:
>: I think not. An old ISA nic card on a 486 will be damned lucky to do
>: 200KB/sec in the configuration you discribe. Expect some serious slowdowns

   I've been using an old 486DX2/66 with a pair of c. 1990 Western
Digital cards (since bought by SMC) for a couple of years and get from
700-800 Kbps throughput with heavy filtering.  Not all ISA cards are
equal.  I suspect NE2000's would have been much slower, especially with
two of them running.  WD's are memory mapped while NE2000's are I/O
port devices and require more cycles to copy into and out of.
Look for memcpy_toio() and memcpy_fromio() in the source or a message
like: "eth0: 3c503 - 8kB RAM, 8kB shared mem window at 0xcc000-0xcdfff."
in syslog to determine whether your card is memory mapped.

------------------------------

From: "JR McConnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:41:34 -0500

mike wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>My rental building complex wants to save money and not fix
>the intercom and door buzzer. They want to hijack all the
>phone lines in the building and run them through
>a general intercom-buzzer system. When some one rings I will
>be bounced off line. Who knows what else they can decide
>to do with those lines.
>  Do people have any rights of privacy any more.!
>  I heard that police agencies can follow a suspect until
>they somehow leave a trace of their DNA and take it. Like
>a glass or plate or knife or fork in a restaurant or a hair.
>or from a napkin or tissue. What if you happen to
>throw some gum in a public garbage can or spit. Soon you
>whole genetic info like health prognosis is open to anyone
>like prespective employers .......
>        Where will it all end???
> Mike

    Personaly, If one would wish to wast the money and resources to fret
over little ol' me then they are more than welcome to. Better yet, just send
the money to me personaly and I will be willing to save them the leg work
and spill my guts about my boring, simple little life...

    Make all checks payable to....

    The number of people in this world makes it almost impossable to pick
any person out just for the fun of it, the goverment is like a sleeping
dragon. Unless one is fool enough to wake to ones existance there is little
need to worry about it even caring you exist. Life is masured by thoes
around you not thoes that never knew you...

    Sorry, just my 2 cents worth, and it is not even worth that much. :)

------------------------------

From: Axel Liljencrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No Mouse ?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:47:45 +0100

Erik Vermeulen wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I've installed redhat 5.2 and upgraded to xfree 3.3.3.1.
> I've used xf86config to set up x.
> Afther the instalation and running I get the 111 error and it says "no
> mouse"
>
> I've got an Intelli mouse and it worked well last time I've installed
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> thanks in advance Erik

Make sure you selected the correct mouse port.
Remember that there are both ps/2 and serial versions of the intellimouse
driver.

hth

/Axel Liljencrantz

------------------------------

From: "John McKown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Where do I buy supported hardware systems?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:59:44 -0600

I have NO experience with the following. I've just found them on the web. I
run a build-your-own system at home.

Have you tried VA Research? http://www.varesearch.com The have systems
ranging from a 300Mhz Celeron for about $1400 to a twin Pentium III 500Mhz
for $3895. Check them out, looks nice <drooling>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: 16 Mar 1999 02:00:21 GMT

In article <7cjk9u$98n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>We are looking for a single source of hardware systems, from small
>'workstation' based (5-15 users) to full RAID systems (200-500 users, and
>even up to 1000 users or more).  We are currently limited to RedHat on Intel.
> We need a company that can supply hardware support in any major city in the
>USA, Mexico and Canada.  As yet IBM and Dell do not support RAID for Linux.
>
>Does anyone out there know of a company capable of meeting these requirements?

We do that. On-site support, everything from tiny Netier network computers
(think Netwinder, except Intel-based and available NOW) to file-cabinet-sized
RAID servers with 5-channel RAID controllers and dual or quad Xeons.

Don't EMAIL me if you're interested, 'cause I'm in the tech department and
wouldn't know the non-technical stuff if you asked me. The web site is
at http://www.linux-hw.com.

I believe VA Research (http://www.varesearch.com) will also do that.
I can't think of any other Linux hardware company that has national
support, sorry. (I also don't know whether our support or VA Research's goes
to Mexico or Canada, sorry).

--
Eric Lee Green         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
"People have grown used to thinking of computers as unreliable, and it

------------------------------

From: Claudio Morgia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Cardbus ethernet ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:14:49 -0700

I have an ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100 CardBus on a Mitac 5033T: with
some imagination, I guessed that it features a DEC 21143 chipset, so it
can be drived with the 'tulip_cb' driver under Linux.
 I'm using linux-2.2.3 on AMD K6-2/333.
 This card is recognized and powered on but in a couple of seconds
starts emitting messages like that:
 eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status f0120000, SIA 000000c6 ffff0001
fffbff7f 8ff50000, resetting...

 eth0: transmit timed out, switching to 10baseT media.

 It continues with these messages until I stop the pcmcia service at
all.
 I had compiled the latest tulip driver 0.9 as a module for CardBus but
it does not work.

 Does anybody knows how to fix the problem of media recognition? It is
some other problem behind that?

 Claudiuccio

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux & PCI Modems
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Mar 1999 21:01:17 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Amir Shamsuddin) writes:

> d) modems with a UART on-board
>         - these work with linux

> Could someone tell me, or point me to modems/chipsets which fall
> into category d), ie those which work with linux?

fwiw external modems seem to almost universally fall into category d.
(there is some sort of rockwell interface external which has a
proprietary interface and should be avoided.  i am not sure if these
are still being made, however.)

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Todd Bandrowsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: "Select the application, and then the platform"
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:17:32 -0500

>> >Perhaps true in some instances, but if you're in a situation where you
>> >need to create things which are heavily scripted, which need to be able
>> >to interoperate with many other environments, or which need to be rock-
>> >solid stable, then Windows is hardly an optimal solution, either.

Very true.

>This presupposes that writing a GUI application with a lot of
>user-interaction is as easy for *nix as it is for Windows. I doubt whether
>that is the case. The circumstantial evidence - the look and feel of *nix
>applications - argues that producing user-oriented software is more
difficult
>on *nix.

I would say that this is true but for non-obvious reasons.  People tend to
tout the advantages of Windows IDE's, and, although I do fall in that camp,
I have found that Unix programmers tend to make up for what we as Windows
developers percieve as shortcomings by the judicious use of scripts.   In
terms of raw features, Windows debuggers don't have too much over Unix
debuggers.  You can actually make something work with GDB, as sick as that
sounds.

I will say though, that Windows leads for a few reasons:

a.    Lack of Unix documentation on X programming.  Just about every book at
the store detailing Unix development emphasises the Web or other text based
programming.  X, is, afterall, something of a Unix afterthought, and not
really what Unix is all about.  On the other hand, Windows GUI documentation
and sample code is everywhere, and, much of what everyone needs to know can
be found in Charles Petzold's quintessential book.

b.    Lack of a standardized widget library.  Like, every X application has
its own open file dialog.  Yikes.  Windows programmers quit that crap with
Windows 3.1!   Windows has a set of core widgets that ship with, and it
seems like X has ten different widget sets, none of which really stacks up
completely against Windows.  This leads to c.

c.    Lack of a viable component software architecture.  This is a biggy.

Unix does not have a language neutral binary component standard ala Windows
Active X.  This is partly because CORBA is not nearly as prevalent on Unix
as COM is on Windows, and is complicated because key pieces of CORBA
technology are something one has to pay for.  A developer can deploy Active
X stuff for free.

For all of its faults, Active X is mature, being many iterations down the
road from the bad old days of custom control DLL's, and their evil cousin -
VBX's.  At some point, CORBA may or may not address this, I do not know.
Java Beans are the only thing that comes close to this, but they are, in my
humble opion, nothing more than an virtual machinized VBX.

d.    Really shitty printer support.  X does not seem to have the same
concept of device independent drawing surfaces characterized by the infamous
Windows (and OS/2), DC.  In my limited experience with X, I see nothing like
the concept of a Windows printer DC or metafiles.  It seems like with X, the
way to print is still based on generating postscript files.  That could be a
pretty big hurdle for a developer to cross.

e.    Font support.  X does not have anything like true type fonts.  I've
yet to see an X application on my Linux box that does anything that I take
for granted on Windows.

f.    A cultural bias in the unix community against event driven programming
in general.  Unix tends to be more of a fire and forget kind of a culture.

Well, I would hardly characterize a character mode interface as going back
to the 70's.  And, certainly, the state of the art for high resolution high
end graphics happens to be on Unix, not on Windows.  So we should keep our
mouths shut on that point before Unix advocates mention little computing
boxes like Cray.

>One of the advantages of *nix is that a Unix programmer put in cryogenic
>suspension in 1978 could still earn a living in 1999. It is also a
>disadvantage, depending on how you look at it.

>My old Windows programming
>books are not much use now - my old Unix books are still valid.

Well, that can be true and not true.  You could probably take Petzold's
programming Windows 3.1 and get most of the stuff to work with some
tweaking.  A lot of it is still the same, actually.

On the other hand, my old K&R book has C code that looks like this:

int my_function(a,b)
char *a;
int b;
{

    ;
}

which, to be honest with you, is a bit easier to document.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Eagle Exabyte TR-3 Parallel Port Support.
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:40:31 GMT

Kernel 2.2.3 has all kinds of support for Parallel devices, but as of yet, I
have been able to find a configuration that will run my old, discontinued,
Eagle Exabyte TR-3 Parallel port Travan 3 drive.

Does anyone know of a driver, or a combination of kernel options and drivers
that might actually get this beast running, and backing up my Linux boxes.
This is the last Windows-era piece of hardware that I have been unable to get
running under my now complete M$ free LAN.

Eventually I am just going to buy a completely Linux supported Travan drive
(any suggestions?), but I would at least like to give this a good shot.

Surely someone out there has one of these tape drives, and has gotten it
spinning?

Any help is appreciated.

From: "Ayrton Reis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HDD config for LILO. Linux hangs at boot.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:23:48 -0300

I have three HD's in my intel AL440LX Mb with 128 M :

    hda : Western Digital 4.3 Gb : CHS = 8912,15,63
    hdb : Western Digital 4.0 Gb : CHS = 7752,16,63
    hdc : Western Digital 1.2 Gb : CHS = 2484,16,63

Linux hangs during kernel load ( always same point ). Reports me the
following :

    hda : 524,255,63 with capacity 4112 ( vs. 4312 from bios )
    hdb : 969,128,63 with capacity 3815 ( vs. 4001 from bios )
    hdc : 2484,16,63 with capacity 1222 ( vs. 1282 from bios )

I've tried the following lilo command with no success :
boot : linux mem=128M hda=8912,15,63 hdb=7752,16,63

The CHS gets ok but the capacities are still wrong.

Since I'm not able to even boot, I can't modify /etc/lilo.conf.

Please, appreciate any help, since I'm trying hard to make my first Linux
installation to work....

Thanks in advance

Ayrton Reis

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:32:57 -0400

Check this:
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

MST

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:32:36 +0800
From: Keen Seng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel740 video display card

hi,

can anyone tell me if there's a driver for the above display card? and
where can i d/load fr? tq.

shawn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 02:50:24 +0000
From: diahedrial <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: Soundblaser hisses under Linux

Patrik Magnusson wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters) writes:

> Here's an idea: when the mixer is initialised it turns on the
> 'line in' or mic. That would certainly produce a hiss.
> If this is the case, just use xmixer or something similar to turn
> it off.
>
> /Patrik.

I had a similar problem until I used a mixer program to turn up the
volume on the output, no more hiss. (SB16, RedHat 5.0, NT4.0)
-diahedrial

------------------------------

From: "Frank Dziuba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem...
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:42:44 -0800

No good. Neither device lets you set the IRQ because they are both PNP PCI
cards

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough)
Subject: Re: USR Courier V. Everything
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:45:41 -0600

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:04:42 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G.
Franklin McCullough) wrote:

>I installed Red Hat 5.2 recently and everything works great except my
>modem which is the USR Courier V. Everything.  It is a 33.6 upgraded
>to 56K and V90.  Works great under windows 95 with connect speeds up
>to 52000.  Under Linux it will only connect at 26400.  I would
>certainly appreciate any help from someone who has already went
>through this problem.
>thanks,

Well, folks, tried about everything...............I still don't have
V90 or X2 enabled and can't find how or where to do it!  I failed to
mention in my original post that the USR is a internal model.  Perhaps
that has something to do with it.
I tried Linux several years ago and it made me a babbling idiot then
and either I have never recovered or it has done it to me again!!

------------------------------

From: me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel740 video display card
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:54:55 +1300

XBF (I think!).  Red Hat.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:00:40 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat linux and Iomega Zip 250

Subbarao Varigonda wrote:

> hi!
>
> I am trying to get an Iomega Zip 250 parallel port drive working on a
> Redhat 5.2 linux system.
>
> I followed the instructions in the Zip-Drive Howto. I got the imm
> driver, compiled the kernel with support for SCSI, SCSI disk and
> modular lp support.
>
> When I try to insmod imm, it only outputs (from /var/log/messages)
> -------------------------
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Version 0.18
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Probing port 03bc
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Probing port 0378
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm:     SPP port present
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm:     PS/2 bidirectional port present
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm:     EPP 1.7
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Probing port 0278
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: scsi0 : Iomega ZIP Plus drive
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: scsi : 1 host.
> -------------------------
>
> It detected the drive but it's not available as any device. I tried to
> mount /dev/sda* (each of them, separately). But i get error message that
> it does not correspond to a block device and the reason may be that the
> driver is not loaded.
>
> According to the Howto, insmod imm should also output to which device
> file (sda0 -- sda4) the drive is mapped. But in my case, it does not tell me
> the device name.
>
> My kernel version is 2.0.36.
>
> I tried running insmod imm from /etc/rc.d/rc.local which is executed
> after all the rc scripts. I also tried insmod imm by stopping lpd daemon.
> It didn't make any  difference.
>
> I have seen postings on this group saying they got Zip 250 working perfectly
> in linux. I will greatly appreciate any help in this regard.
>
> -subbarao
> Subbarao Varigonda      Present Address
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~      -----------------
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]    1209, 8thSt SE         Box#144, 11 Amundson Hall
>                          Minneapolis, MN 55414  University of Minnesota
>                          USA                    Minneapolis, MN 55455
>                          ph:(612) 617-8891      ph: (612) 625-3367

I think that the imm driver was borken in some versions of 2.0.36 and
the early 2.2.0 kernels. It really does work on my machine in 2.0.35 and
2.2.1 and 2.2.2.
I have not tried the new 2.2.3 version yet, but I think that you should
consider upgrading the kernel version.

If you are now running the later versions of redhat or suse, then
installing the 2.2.x kernel is fairly easy.

Cheers,
Kyle Dansie
Linux Rules     Iomega Zip Drive Mini - HOWTO
-
http://njtcom.com/dansie/zip-drive.html
                    or
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

From: Precious Metal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: SB16PnP-How?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:22:49 -0800

==============6E4E7190419B642C82CEC522

eric malloy wrote:

> How do I setup my Sound Blaster PnP 16.. i got this info about it out of
> NT:
>
> IRQ=5
> DMA= 00
> DMA= 00
> I/O Range: 0220-022F
> I/O Range: 0300-0301

I have the SB 16 Vibra PnP.  I built the soundcard into the kernel (rather
than a module) and ranpnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
cd /etc
isapnp isapnp.conf

make sure isapnp isapnp.conf  is somewhere in one of your bootup scripts

Don't forget to put in the stats for your soundcard when you add it into
the kernel.

--
Precious Metal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://members.xoom.com/Prcmetal/index.htm

==============6E4E7190419B642C82CEC522

<HTML>
eric malloy wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>How do I setup my Sound Blaster PnP 16.. i got this
info about it out of
<BR>NT:

<P>IRQ=5
<BR>DMA= 00
<BR>DMA= 00
<BR>I/O Range: 0220-022F
<BR>I/O Range: 0300-0301
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
I have the SB 16 Vibra PnP.&nbsp; I built the soundcard into the kernel
(rather than a module) and ranpnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
<BR>cd /etc
<BR>isapnp isapnp.conf

<P>make sure isapnp isapnp.conf&nbsp; is somewhere in one of your bootup
scripts

<P>Don't forget to put in the stats for your soundcard when you add it
into the kernel.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Precious Metal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
<A
HREF="http://members.xoom.com/Prcmetal/index.htm">http://members.xoom.com/Prcmetal/index.htm</A></PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:05:00 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Redhat linux and Iomega Zip 250 drive

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi!
>
> I am trying to get an Iomega Zip 250 parallel port drive working on a
> Redhat 5.2 linux system (on intel pentium). I do not have any other SCSI
> adapters/devices.
>
> I followed the instructions in the Zip-Drive Howto. I got the imm
> driver, compiled the kernel with support for SCSI, SCSI disk and
> modular lp support.
>
> When I try to insmod imm, it only outputs (from /var/log/messages)
> -------------------------
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Version 0.18
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Probing port 03bc
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Probing port 0378
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm:     SPP port present
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm:     PS/2 bidirectional port present
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm:     EPP 1.7
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: imm: Probing port 0278
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: scsi0 : Iomega ZIP Plus drive
> Mar 14 01:27:57 loon kernel: scsi : 1 host.
> -------------------------
>
> It detected the drive but it's not available as any device. I tried to
> mount /dev/sda* (each of them, separately). But i get error message that
> it does not correspond to a block device and the reason may be that the
> driver is not loaded.
>
> According to the Howto, insmod imm should also output to which device
> file (sda?) the drive is mapped. But in my case, it does not tell me
> the device name.
>
> My kernel version is 2.0.36.
> I tried running insmod imm from /etc/rc.d/rc.local, rc.sysinit (to load
> at boot time) and manually also after booting but none of them worked.
>
> I have seen postings on this group saying they got Zip 250 working perfectly
> in linux. I will greatly appreciate any help in this regard.
>
> -subbarao

Try upgrading to 2.2.3 kernel. see www.linuxhq.com for current versions

Later
Kyle