Linux-Hardware Digest #719, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 07:13:31 EST

Contents:
  Re: shakey ATI Xpert 98 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux vs FreeBSD vs NetBSD vs OpenBSD (Harald Arnesen)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    falls flat)
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Toshiba laptop & xwindows ("dooley")
  T.Yunden and AHA-2940A Ultra ("Bertrand L.")
  fujistsu c340 modem and linux? ("Geekster")
  SiS 6326 (Markus Hillenbrand)
  Tape Library Support ("CT")
  Re: HP 2100 and ghostscript (Bill Simpson)
  sound card setup - HELP (Lee Bennett)
  Midi on CS423x w/2.0.36 (**Nick Brown)
  Re: Supermicro S2DGE + Xeon problems (Michael Lillie)
  Re: Parport Iomega Zip with imm module, kernel 2.2.1 (Burkard B. Kreidler)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session falls flat)
(John Thompson)
  Re: Linux vs FreeBSD vs NetBSD vs OpenBSD (Lee Blevins)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Linux on a Celeron? ("sasha")
  Re: SCSI 68pin to 50pin, possible? (M. Buchenrieder)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.video
Subject: Re: shakey ATI Xpert 98
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:03:20 GMT

This problem is usually in the cable:  this board has dual IDE
controllers, but you will often find that the devices are set as
master / slave on the primary controller with the secondary set up
without any devices on it.  Move the CD-ROM to master  on the
secondary controller and as often as not your problem will go away.
If this doesn't help re-post here and I will attempt some other
troubleshooting.

Beware Scots bearing gifts - have ye no idea what's in a haggis,
laddie?

On 18 Mar 1999 09:55:09 +0100,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clemens

------------------------------

From: Harald Arnesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux vs FreeBSD vs NetBSD vs OpenBSD
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:03:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Blevins) writes:

> The directions for building a kernel in freebsd take about two
> paragraphs and work flawlessly. I can execute the procedure in a few
> minutes. I get the feeling with linux you have to join some linux cult
> and get the inside information that is not covered in the docs.

The documentation must have improved a lot since the last time I tried
it, then (version 2.2.6). I found it very confusing, but I managed to
build a kernel in the end. Even the "Complete FreeBSD" book didn't
help much.

I get a new (old) 486 later today, and I plan to try FreeBSD on that
one. I have some 3.0 CDs lying around.

It's all about what you're used to. I have installed Linux about a
dozen times now on different machines, compiled almost all kernels
since 1.1.x, so for me it has become routine. I'm completely new to
FreeBSD, so naturally I expect more problems from that OS.

For what it's worth, Solaris 7 is the OS I have had the least problems
in installing on an Intel-based computer.
--
Harald Arnesen, Apalløkkveien 23 A, N-0956 Oslo, Norway

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    falls
flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:56:06 GMT

There's a pretty old book entitled "Linux Configuration and
Installation" published by MIS:Press, (copyright 95, so things have
changed ever so slightly).  It includes Slackware with it, so it (has
to) go into a detailed explanation of setting up X by manually writing
your XF86Config file.  While I chose to use RH52's xf86config utility
to get a skeleton, having read this book came in very handy when I
decided to force X into using a higher resolution (it wanted to be
stubborn).  I imagine there are more up to date books out there, but
this one is pretty complete.  I dont know if you'll be able to find
it, but good luck!  (i got my copy from my uncle)

John

------------------------------

From: "dooley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Toshiba laptop & xwindows
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:56:07 GMT

I have RH 5..2 on my Toshiba satellite 2535 cds laptop, the video driver
uses chips & technoliges 6900 chip set.
I have been unable to configure Xwindows with this lcd display and could use
some help. the faq's and calls to RH, Intell, and Toshiba did not help.
Any help would sure be appericated
thanks
Jim - WX9J

------------------------------

From: "Bertrand L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.apps.cdwrite,linux.scsi,be.comp.os.linux
Subject: T.Yunden and AHA-2940A Ultra
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:06:29 GMT

        Hello,

I have a problem with my Tayo Yunden cd-writer working under kernel
2.0.30 (Slackware 3.4) with an AHA-2940A Ultra (PCI):
when I try to write a cd with cdrecord 1.6 (cdrecord -v -eject speed=1
dev=4,0 /image/image.raw) I get the following error message :

        TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
        scsidev: '4,0'
        scsibus: 0 target: 4 lun: 0
        Device type    : Removable WORM
        Version        : 2
        Response Format: 2
        Capabilities   : SYNC LINKED
        Vendor_info    : 'T.YUDEN '
        Identifikation : 'CD-WO EW-50     '
        Revision       : '2.16'
        Device seems to be: Philips CDD-521.
        Using driver for Philips CDD-521 (philips_cdd521).
        Driver flags   :
        Track 01: data  504 MB
        Total size:     579 MB (57:24.02) = 258302 sectors
        Lout start:     579 MB (57:26/02) = 258302 sectors
        scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 13, scsi0,
                channel 0, id 4, lun 0 Start/Stop Unit 00 00
                00 01 00
        aic7xxx: (abort) Aborting scb 0, TCL 4/0/0

And few seconds later the following message is displayed:

        SCSI host 0 abort (pid 13) timed out - resetting
        SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
        aic7xxx: (reset) target/channel 4/0
        aic7xxx: (abort_reset) scb state 0x1, Command phase, SCSISIGI = 0x84
        aic7xxx: (abort_scb) asserted ATN - bus device reset in message buffer.
        SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 13) timed out - trying harder
        SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
        aic7xxx: (reset) target/channel 4/0
        aic7xxx: (reset_device) target/channel -1/A, active_scb 0
        aic7xxx: (match_scb) comparing target/channel -1/A to scb 4/A
        aic7xxx: (reset_channel) Resetting current channel A
        aic7xxx: (reset_channel) Channel reset, sequencer restarted
        aic7xxx: (done_aborted_scbs) Aborting scb 0, TCL=4/0/0
        scsi0: Target 4, channel A, now synchronous at 4.0MHz, offset 15.

        aic7xxx: (abort) Aborting scb 0, TCL 4/0/0

So, the problem seems to come from the scsi driver which generates
the timeout. This is strange because when I mount a cd on the T.Yunden
there is no problem, all is OK, I can read the cd.
REM: I installed the SuSe 5.3 distribution (kernel 2.0.35) and the
system
can't boot: the scsi driver generates timeout for the Tayo Yunden device
at boot time and crashes all the system (sorry, I have not the the boot
message for this configuration).

Here is the boot message (kernel 2.0.30) and scsi driver release:
######boot time msg#####
aic7xxx: BurstLen = 4 DWDs, Latency Timer = 64 PCLKS
aic7xxx: AHA-2940A Ultra Rev C.
aic7xxx: devconfig = 0x1100.
aic7xxx: Reading SEEPROM...done.
aic7xxx: Extended translation enabled.
aic7xxx: Memory check yields 3 SCBs, paging not enabled.
AHA-2940A Ultra (PCI-bus), I/O 0xf400, Mem 0xffafb000:
    irq 11
    bus release time 40 bclks
    data fifo threshold 100%
    SCSI CHANNEL A:
        scsi id 7
        scsi selection timeout 256 ms
        scsi bus reset at power-on enabled
        scsi bus parity enabled
        scsi bus termination (low byte) enabled
aic7xxx: Downloading sequencer code...done.
aic7xxx: Resetting the SCSI bus...done.

Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!

scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 4.0/3.2/4.0
scsi : 1 host.
scsi0: Scanning channel A for devices.
scsi0: Target 4, channel A, now synchronous at 4.4MHz, offset 15.
  Vendor: T.YUDEN   Model: CD-WO EW-50       Rev: 2.16
  Type:   WORM                               ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom total.
#####scsi driver release#####
###Slakware 3.4: kernel 2.0.30
#define AIC7XXX_H_VERSION  "$Revision: 3.2 $"
#define AIC7XXX_C_VERSION  "$Revision: 4.0 $"
###SuSe 5.3: kernel 2.0.35
#define AIC7XXX_H_VERSION  "3.2.4"
#define AIC7XXX_C_VERSION  "5.0.19"

        Anyone could help me?

        Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: "Geekster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fujistsu c340 modem and linux?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:08 GMT

i have been using linux over telnet for a year or so and i finally got up
and installed it on my laptop.  it is a fujitsu c340 lifebook,,, but i cant
seem to get the modem up and working,,,any advice? does anyone know if it is
a winmodem?

------------------------------

From: Markus Hillenbrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SiS 6326
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:56:37 GMT

==============98AB2A5CDEC3E89FA152A0F8

can anyone tell me how to set up the Device section of
/etc/XF86Config to be used with an SiS 6326 AGP graphic
card? Under Windows, I can use 1280x1024x16 in 85 Hz, but I
am not able to use this mode under Linux. When I start the
XServer, it says "Maximum allowed dot-clock: 111 MHz" but
the card has a maximum allowed dot-clock of 175 MHz.

System: SuSE Linux 6.0 with XFree86 3.3.3.1

Markus
==============98AB2A5CDEC3E89FA152A0F8

begin:          vcard
fn:             Markus Hillenbrand
n:              Hillenbrand;Markus
org:            Universitaet Kaiserslautern
adr:            Mannheimer Strasse 28;;;Kaiserslautern;Rheinland-Pfalz;67655;GERMANY
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:       +49 (0) 631 / 205 2626
tel;home:       +49 (0) 631 / 696561
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: "CT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape Library Support
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:06:32 GMT

Anyone know of support (API's, software suites, interface specifications...
anything) for large tape libraries under Linux?

Generally, the setup for these monsters is multiple SCSI tape drives and one
(or sometimes more) robotic arm to manipulate the tapes (stick 'em in the
drives, put 'em in the right slots, etc.). It's my understanding that the
arm is just another SCSI device.

The usual suspects (AMASS, ADSM, HPSS, etc.) cost thousands and only speak
to AIX, Solaris, and (gag) NT. Most vendors consider the SCSI commands for
the arm proprietary (making it damned difficult for us to roll our own
drivers).

Please, oh please, don't make me feed a linux cluster data from an NT box.
Any help, tips, related experience, or pointers would be greatly
appreciated.
    -Todd

------------------------------

From: Bill Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP 2100 and ghostscript
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:06:48 GMT

ok thanks Grant and others.

Bill

------------------------------

From: Lee Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card setup - HELP
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:56:57 GMT

==============6CBDB5D5FA2FF25181F502CF

Hi

Iam running Suse Linux 6

I have a PC Chips motherboard (M590) with integrated 3D sound onboard. I
can get sound to work if I use the OSS version 3.9.2, however I only
have a demo copy that will run for 20 minutes at a time. OSS detects the
Sound chip as a Generic CM18330 PnP. Does anyone know if there is kernel
support under 2.0.36 for 2.2 for this chip set. The sound chip set is
Windows sound system and SB16 compatible but I can't get these to work.

Reply to:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============6CBDB5D5FA2FF25181F502CF

Hi
I can get sound to work if I use the OSS version 3.9.2, however I only
have a demo copy that will run for 20 minutes at a time. OSS detects the
Sound chip as a Generic CM18330 PnP. Does anyone know if there is kernel
support under 2.0.36 for 2.2 for this chip set. The sound chip set is Windows
sound system and SB16 compatible but I can't get these to work.
<pre>--&nbsp;

Reply to:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Midi on CS423x w/2.0.36
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:07:12 GMT

Does anyone have Midi working on a CS4232 family chip with kernel 2.0.36
(driver version 3.5.4) ?  The notes in Readme.cards are a little
confusing.  I take them to mean that Midi should work, but not to use
MPU401 mode.

When I enabled MPU401 in xconfig, I got an unbootable kernel, so that
seems right.  Now, I have MPU401 off, and Midi on.  One problem is that
the xconfig dialog expects me to supply an IRQ for the Midi interface,
but according to the Plug'n'Play utilities diskette for my PC (Dell
OptiPlex GXa), the Midi chip doesn't consume an IRQ, just an I/O
address.  I put IRQ 9 which I know is free.  (When I put IRQ 5, the same
as the sound driver, I got a conflict message at boot time.)

The sound system claims to be CS4236, but I suppose this is compatible
with CS4232.

The various Midi players are happy to start, it's just that nothing
comes out.

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: Michael Lillie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro,comp.sys.intel,redhat.hardware.arch.intel,rochester.roadrunner.misc
Subject: Re: Supermicro S2DGE + Xeon problems
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:07 GMT

"T.D. Brace" wrote:

> It seems to run OK for about 3-4 minutes, then the video goes, and
> the system is dead - the power is still on.  Same thing happens in
> both Linux and windows95.  Right now, I can't get it to come back
> on at all (boot and get video that is - the power does come on).

Could be a bad graphics board.  Do you have access to another card to try and
see if you still have the same problem?

I may be wrong, it could be anything.   I know on my brothers P-II his
AGP graphic card went bad and he started getting a "Missing or corrupted file
command.com" when he booted up.  He switched to a new card and Windows boots
up fine.  Can't remember what the AGP card was, been awhile.  Been trying to
get him to use Linux.  He's started to get really frustrated with Win 98, so
he may be ordering SUSE 6.0 like I did.

Michael.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Burkard B. Kreidler)
Subject: Re: Parport Iomega Zip with imm module, kernel 2.2.1
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:59:10 GMT

>> No way. Imm driver is only for ZipPlus drives. You can't use imm with a Z=
>ip
>> drive as well as you can't use ppa with a ZipPlus one. The 'ppa' and 'imm=
>' are
>> names of protocols these drives use - they are not compatible.
>
>Actually, the Zip 250MB also uses the imm driver even though it is not=20
>marketed as ZipPlus. All other parallel Zip drives which are not ZipPlus=20
>use the ppa driver.
>
>The Zip 250MB works with kernel 2.0.36 and imm 0.18.
>
>Otherwise, if you have a 100MB only Zip Drive, use the ppa driver.
Not true. Later parallel port drives (with a cable marked
"autodetect") use the imm driver.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:40 GMT

Zenin wrote:

>         You should have seen MY mom the first time we put a mouse in her
>         hand...It wasn't a pretty sight...  It was that day I realized why
>         Macs still only have there one stupid mouse button...

HAR!

I saw that too!

We're not related by any chance, are we?  :-)

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Blevins)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:44 GMT

Here's my two cents.

OVer the past two years, I've tried Linux and Freebsd.

The first time Linux I noticed that I had to make floppies to install
linux. Freebsd booted from the cd.

I went throught the creating startup floppies and got Linux installed
and it wouldn't recognize my 3c905 card. Freebsd did.

I didn't try Linux again untill recently because I've motivated by the
number of people using it. (ten thousand french flies can't be wrong.)

So I installed it on a spare pc I had. First thing I try it to rebuild
the kernel. What I see is extremely poor and inaccurate documentation.
Sure I can work through this with enough posts to newsgroups and maybe
going on irc and being insulted by the teenagers in #linux but Freebsd
works correctly on everything I try.

For my money, (time is money) I'm scrapping Linux once again and going
back to Freebsd.

For anybody that thinks I'm crazy, read my post on "A kernel build
problem" and tell me where I made an error. Perhaps my error was reading
the f*ing manual and following the directions in the how-to's.

The directions for building a kernel in freebsd take about two
paragraphs and work flawlessly. I can execute the procedure in a few
minutes. I get the feeling with linux you have to join some linux cult
and get the inside information that is not covered in the docs.

I'm finding it hard to believe that linux has gotten so popular with
such poor documentation.

------------------------------

From: Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: BTW, I'm a mainframer who plays with a lot of code which was originally
: written in the 60's.  Calling something a fallback to the 70's is not
: always an insult.  ;-)

I bet you love Linux on your PC as a result. :) You came from the days
when men were men and the code was tight. Too bad y'all coded in the Y2K
bug and didn't fix it when the companies upgraded.

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
       Humans never fly. They either ride a flying bus or drive it.

3727703 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

------------------------------

From: "sasha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a Celeron?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:07:00 GMT

Hi!
> I assume you're not overclocking, then?  Recently I borrowed a Celeron
> 300A system from a colleague that had Win95 already installed, and I
> installed RedHat 5.2 on the rest of the disk, while it was overclocked.
> The install went smoothly (except for a strange error when I installed
> the ncurses-devel packages, something about a bad file index number or
> something, I wish I had written it down).  The system appeared to run
> just fine, but I tried a burn-in test, "diff" comparing a CDROM to a
> copy of it on the disk, I discovered that some files were reported to
> differ, not always the same ones.  I ruled out the CDROM as a cause,
> by making another copy of the files on the disk and comparing the two
> disk copies.  Finally I reduced the clock speed from 450 MHz to 300 MHz
> and the problem disappeared.  I repeated the experiment with Caldera
> OpenLinux and the results were the same.  Win95 didn't show any problems
> at either clock speed (not that one can be sure there weren't any).
Most C-300A CPUs permanently work at 450MHz. Probably, your collegue
has 10ns DIMMs. It isn't enough to switch motherboard to 100MHz.
I overclock my Celeron to 75x4.5 or 83x4.5

> Moral?  Be careful about overclocking.
I agree.

                                                Alexander

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: SCSI 68pin to 50pin, possible?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:45 GMT

[Note FollowUp-To: header - irrelevant for the col.* hierarchy]

John Walstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I'm planning to buy a HP scanner to use under Linux.  My system already
>has a 68pin Wide SCSI card and I really don't have any free ISA or PCI
>slots. The HP scanners I saw had a 50pin SCSI port. Is it possible to go
>from 68pins to 50pins via a cable of a coverted?

You can buy 68->50 pin converters in any better computer shop. They
are not cheap, though; expect a price of USD 20.-- and up.

However, keep in mind that having a scanner on the external port
of your SCSI card may yield unexpected results:

a) If you do have SCSi disks on the internal SCSI chain, then
   you'll run into problems when scanning - typical SCSI scanners
   don't support disconnect/reconnect and therefor do occupy the
   SCSI bus during the scanning process;

b) if you already have two internal connectors of that SCSI card
   in use, then you may not connect any device on the external port
   at all , unless it is a U2W adapter card or a card with 2 SCSI
   busses (e.g. AHA3940) ;

c) the scanner must be terminated with an additional external 50-pin
   terminator plug on the seconary port of the scanner;

d) the internal devices' termination (including host adapter card)
   has to be adjusted correctly.

Michael

P.S.: Posted and not mailed - if we're supposed to answer it, you may
      at least read the answers.

--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu