From: Krishna Behara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any CD Burners for linux?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 16:07:09 -0700

Would like any information on CD burners that
are compatible with linux.

Thanks

Krishna

email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]          x-86492

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Video Card Recommendation?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 23:11:39 GMT

go to http://www.redhat.com/hardware
and click on intel hardware.  It show you the list of
hardware that supported by linux.  To get the most out of
you viewsonic G790 go to the how to section.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Michael Wellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A TNT or TNT2 card might be what your looking for but you'll have
to=20
> get the drivers from nVidea's sight.  I'v got a Creative Labs
graphics=20
> blaster (TNT based card) coming in the mail from shopping.com for=20
> around $75.

I=20
> am
> > looking for a recommendation.
>
> > This is what I run on the machine
>
> > Windowmaker 0.60.0 on XFree86
> > RH Linux 5.2, kernel 2.2.x
> > Viewsonic 19" Monitor
> > Pentium 200
> > 64Mb RAM
> > PCI Bus only.
>
> > I would like to get the most out of my new, beautiful Viewsonic
G790, =

From: Patrick Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live!
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 18:54:05 -0500

Cedric,
I have Suse 6.1 with kernel 2.2.7 and I cannot get the Live card to
work. Im pretty sure that I have tried the insmod -f sblive.o also. I
did what the readme file said to do also. Is there some steps that I am
missing. Could I possibly need to recompile the kernel. I just put Suse
6.1 on my system and have never compiled a kernel. Its pretty extensive
isn't it?

Thanks,
Patrick
` Patrick Szabo                  972-968-8417  '
` [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 Cyrix         '
`                                              '
`     "We have been doin' it this way          '
`             for 10 years"                    '

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Wang)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 8 Jul 1999 23:07:25 GMT

Anthony Hill ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On 6 Jul 1999 05:38:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato
: Yao) wrote:
: >>not MY benchmark results.  Where are YOURS?  Couldn't find any eh?  That
: >>poor look up ability of yours I suppose...
: >
: >You are the one claiming a Dual Celeron setup (using 333s) can be faster
: >than a K6-III 450 on LInux.   The Burden of Proof is on you.

:       Agreed, the dual Celeron route is more expansive (the dual
: slot 1 motherboard adds an absolute minimum of $50 over the price of
: most super7 boards, plus another $30 for the two slotkets, plus the
: cost of two Celerons), and in most situations on a P6 architechture,
: you'll be lucky to see more then 50% increase in performance (there
: are some obvious exceptions to this rule of course).  At best you
: could expect a dual-Celeron 333 to match the performance of a K6-III
: 450 under most Linux applications, and that's only when applications
: are able to take advantage of the two processors.  As some others have
: pointed out, compiling the kernel under Linux is one such situation.

Dual Celeron's don't have to be so expensive. As I mentioned in the other
thread in my ongoing Dual Celeron project,  an Abit BP6 board cost $145,
and a pair of 366 MHZ PPGA Celerons cost me $121. So the cost of MB + 2 CPU
was $266 + shipping/tax/etc.  That's really not too much to pay for a CPU +
MB combination, IMO.

--
main(){while(1){switch(rand()%7){case 0:printf("Illogical.\n");break;case 1:
printf("Balderdash.\n");break;case 2:printf("Non sequitur.\n");break;case 3:

------------------------------

From: Alex Kaufman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: QuickCam VC anyone?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 14:27:00 -0400

Please guys, throw me a bone here! It really is a bummer to have to boot
win98 whenever I need it. I noticed while compiling 2.2.10 there is
video for linux in the options, but the Quickcam (color) entry is grayed
out always. Hints/tips?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen M. Caplan)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 10 Jul 1999 01:27:14 GMT

Andrzej Popowski ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> 9 Jul 1999 05:09:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen M. Caplan)
> wrote:

> >> CPUs are synchronous,
> >
> >Maybe we're running off a different definition of "synchronous".  From your
> >description, the bus speeds are synchronous not the CPU speeds (since the
> >multipliers are different).

> For each 11 CPU clock periods of Celeron550, Celeron450 has 9 periods.
> Different speed but synchronius operation :-)

Not to be agrumentative but ...

  From webster's dictionary:

   synchronous, adjective
      2 : recurring or operating at exactly the same periods

  The period off a Celeron 550 is 1.82ns  ( 1/550 MHz).
  The period of a Celeron 450 is 2.22ns   ( 1/450 MHz).

  Since 1.82 != 2.22, the CPU's are not synchronous.  As I've mentioned, their
  bus speeds are synchronous (10ns each); apperently that is all that matters.
  (which makes me wonder why I'm argueing the definition of "synchronous" as
  it applies to CPUs -- oh right, this is a usenet article, that explains it.)

--
Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: CD ROM mount problems...
Date: 9 Jul 1999 23:32:44 GMT

On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:30:54 GMT Christoph Eicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"mount: can't find /cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"

Please post in ASCII without extra ^M characters.

It means what it says.  When you type

        mount /cdrom

the kernel looks in a file called /etc/fstab (or /etc/mtab) to find
out which partition on which device you want mounted on the directory
/cdrom.

On my system, there's a line in /etc/fstab like this:

/dev/scd1       /cdrom  iso9660         defaults,noauto      0    1

That translates as "Mount the second SCSI CD-ROM drive (scd1) on the
mount point /cdrom.  It's a file system of type ISO 9660 (the file
system of almost all CD-ROMs).  Mount it with default settings, but
not automatically -- only when someone types 'mount /cdrom'.  Don't
dump, and if automatically running fsck on bootup, use sequence
number one."

You need to know what the device name is for your CD-ROM drive.  It
could be either SCSI (/dev/scd*), IDE (/dev/hd*), or use a
proprietary interface (often /dev/sbpcd).  You might be able to find
this out from your bootup messages, which can be reviewed with the
dmesg command.

Much more information available on my Debian system with "man fstab".
I also recommend the CD-ROM HOWTO, which is probably on your system
in the /usr/doc directory, but is in any case available from the
Linux Documentation Project at sunsite.unc.edu and many other places.

Note that under Linux, a "mount point" must exist to mount a drive or
partition.  That's just a directory -- all this means is, that in
order to use the above line, you must have a directory called
"/cdrom".  If any files are in it, they'll be invisible while the CD
is mounted.

HTH.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."

------------------------------

Date: 09 Jul 99 20:44:29 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux/KDE; KDat backup on dat tape proggy
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.arch.storage

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Marc SCHAEFER;

 MS> In comp.arch.storage Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 MS>: Has anyone managed to get the KDat proggy to run their dat drive yet?

 MS> Yes.

 MS> But that was long time ago (maybe 1.1pre1). It was working mostly.

 MS> However, from the impression I got, I would recommend using tar and/or
 MS> cpio directly from the shell.  Maybe KDat has improved. But. do you
 MS> really want your data's integrity to depend on a graphical interface ?

 MS>: device as mt is (a freshly made /dev/nst0) when I tested that, choosing
 MS>: instead to cover all its sins with a simple "no tape in drive" message.
 MS>: Messages to the author have gone un-acknowledged for about 20 hrs now.

 MS> what does:
 MS> mt -f /dev/nst0 status
 MS> say ?

Let me switch chairs here;

SCSI 2 tape drive;
File number=-1 Block number=-1 Partition=0
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code=0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi))
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bit on (1010000)
 Online IM_REP_EN

This is with a new Sony 120 meter tape in the drive.

Let me repeat, KDat never touches the scsi bus to inquire of the drive.
The 'mt' command does.  I feel that is a major clue right there.

On the subject of tar, or cpio, how does one go about selecting the
files you want to backup vs those you don't?  KDat gives you a choice,
as does bru from what I've heard.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: Habin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Finding a tablet which run well under Linux?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 01:01:46 GMT

Hi there,

I'm findind a tablet (pointing device which is composed of pen
and panel) which run well under X-Window.
There are many tablet products from cheap and expensive one.
My pocket money can pay near $100 to the tablet.

Blue Skies~,
Habin

--
Software Engineer (VC++, Linux)
Skydiver (FAI certificate, total freefall time is

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato Yao)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 10 Jul 1999 01:20:19 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:
>In article <7m40vb$hmi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>
>>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:
>>>In article <7m3huu$64h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>>Indeed, the k63 is quicker mhz/mhz, I've no problem going along with this.
>>>Interestingly enough, 550/450 is 1.22~ which is about equal to what we've
>>>gone over before as being the ratio of how much faster the k63 is in linux
>>>compilation(23.5%).  Until a dual celeron comes into play, which, as we've
>>>also covered, one can get for the same amount of $.
>>
>>Not really.  Like I said, the K6-3's performance is much more consistent
>>than a dual Celeron, where sometimes you're faster, but a lot of times,
>>you're much slower as well.
>
>Now, now, Chris, much slower?:)  "got my Celeron oc'ed to 550 is when the
>Celeron more or less starts feeling a bit equal".

Celeron oc'ed at 550 doing SMP are not consistent.  I've seen reports of
problems.

>>So it's even slightly faster than a Cel 550 on integer.  It felt like
>>it.

>>>Grasping as straws here Chris, even if I agreed that to obtain a cel 366 &
>oc
>>>to 550 'requires a considerable amount of prep & research'(which I don't):)
>>
>>It does.  You need to particularly look for week 14-25 Malay PPGA
>>Celeron 366, and many retailers are not interested to inform you what
>
>week 14-25 Malay PPGA are already known to be good overclockers which does
>not imply all others aren't.  It's just those are the known ones from people
>buying them & reporting back.

Slot 1 366s are forgetable.   Overclocking 400-466 Celerons with 75 and
83MHz bus speed is for me considered unacceptable due to the long term
damage on hard drives and file systems from overclocked IDE bus.

People don't report failures as they do with successes, so reading the
newsgroup is not a good indication of ratio.  Many dealers are not
cooperative as to why the hell you want to view the chip numbers at the
back, and it's hard to get that information out from mail order firms.
I tracked my Celeron by tracking which local dealer running out of their
Celeron inventory, so I would know that when their next Celeron shipment
arrives, it would be new stock.   Some dealers are no longer stocking
333s and 366s.

>>exactly is their stock.  You also need a slotket with adjustable
>>voltage, and even there, you still have to take a crap shot.
>
>Not if one went with an abit bp6(which is damn appealing even w/o it's dual
>capability).

I don't consider Abit to be an alternative for my uses.  For me, FIC and
Abit are unacceptable due to their relatively high RMA rates (returns).
I'll put Soyo, Asus, Chaintech, and AOpen ahead of Abit for reliability,
especially since I eventually move my platforms into business
deployment.

>>You practically have to burn in your Celeron at 2.3v or 2.4v for a period of
>>time, before you can back down to 2.2v.  And of course, if you burn it
>>out, there is no warranty from overclocking is there.
>
>If we're already at the point of overclocking, the risk of increased voltage
>is moot as far as warranty is concerned(already decided we don't need no
>stinkn warranty:)

Not an alternative for recommendation for other users.

>>A K6-III 450 is now under $200, and you only need to just buy it and
>>install it, and no need to worry about week blah blah blah, set voltage
>>and burn in blah blah blah, slotket blah blah blah, then sacrifice a
>>virgin or two and pray it works. Just remember about the rule comparing
>>overclocked processors versus nonoverclocked ones.  A K6-III 450
>>running at 450MHz is guaranteed while a Cel 366 at 550 will always
>>be a risk.
>
>From what reports there have been of oc'ing success, it's not as bad as
>at the level of virgin sacrificing:)
>
>It's still possible for me to overclock the K6-III all the
>>way to 500MHz.

>>>P2 guys could oo-lala about having 4-way set assoc. cache vs k6's 2-way but
>>>it doesn't matter.  Bottom line is the performance.

>>>Dual celeron 'whips the lamas(k63's) ass'.
>>
>>Did you hear what I said in my previous posts?
>>
>>Multiprocessing does not do shit on many applications. Check the Ars
>>Technica website and look for their dual cpu God Machine vs. Nerd
>>Machine duel,
>
>I have. I'm the one that initially pointed out the url remember?
>
>>and you will see that on many benchmarks, particularly
>>with games
>
>Ooo-who:) games, do you really wanna go there?

Yes.  Besides Q3Test is just an alpha.   I will admit the value of SMP
for game servers for lan parties, but forget about SMP for the rest of
the games.

>>and ZDNet application benchmarks among others, dual
>>processing meant squat.
>
>yep, word proccessing & it's ilk.  Now, are they speed limited?  & then you
>ask, well then, which apps are?  & then you ask, well, do duals help THOSE
>apps out?  & as we've already gone over, for many of them, yes.  This applies
>to the consistency issue you speak of.

No.  For most of them, just no.   Look at those ARSTechnica benchmarks
again.  Note that these are recent ZDNet benchmarks, which often run
multiple processes simultaneously, and these benchmarks are well known
to have evolved to this manner from earlier, single processing ZDNet
benches, primarily suspected aimed to give an advantage for PII caches.
What advantage does SMP have there?  ZDNet benches are supposed to
represent the average Windows enviroment with its most commonly used
applications.

>>Plus there is no 100% guarantee that a dual Celeron will work reliably
>>everytime and without problems, so again, that's a crap shot.
>
>Yeah, but by user reports, they're good odds.

You cannot deny a K6-III 450 working on its rated
speed and delivering its vaunted performance is practically a guaranteed
and much better odds than dual Celerons, which I won't even touch for a
business enviroment.

Rgds,

Chris

(And the NUMBER ONE top oxy-MORON
1.   Microsoft Works
---From the Top 50 Oxymorons (thanks to Richard Kennedy)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: TV tuner card recommendations
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:01:11 -0700

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 19:05:41 -0400, Russ Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Could anyone point me to a FAQ or other information about TV tuner cards
>under Linux?  I'm currently running Mandrake 6.0 on an AMD K6-2/300 system

        I've been running a Hauppauge WinTV 401 since October.

        http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4l.shtml

[deletia]
--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.xxx,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Mounting probelm extended VFAT 32
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 02:01:57 GMT

What I've done is as follows for my 2 partitions on two hd for win98 in
FAT32:
mkdir /mnt/win0
mkdir /mnt/win1

then in:
emacs /etc/fstab

I add the lines:
/dev/hda1    /mnt/win0    vfat    sync,auto,nouser,noexec,nodev 0 0
/dev/hdc1    /mnt/win1    vfat    sync,auto,nouser,noexec,nodev 0 0

This will automatically boot the two vfat (i.e., FAT32) partitions in linux.

=)