Linux-Hardware Digest #719, Volume #14            Thu, 3 May 01 01:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: run two linuxes (Eric P. McCoy)
  Fullscreen mode in xawtv, using PCTVpro (Lars Luthman)
  Stupid D-Link DFE-530+, how to fix in RH 7.1? (Adriel Michaud)
  Re: that PCMCIA question (Linksys PCMPC100 V2/Dell Inspiron 4000) (Dean Thompson)
  The Excalibur GeForce 2 MX AGP and Linux (Joker 2 Thief)
  Re: Reach maximum mount count? (Dances With Crows)
  Epson 640U & RedHat 6.2 ("Rodney D. Myers")
  Re: network card - redhat 7.1 [Thanks] (J Hayward)
  Researching Linux & AMD Duron ("Zhan")
  Re: that PCMCIA question (Linksys PCMPC100 V2/Dell Inspiron 4000) ("blariz")
  Re: that PCMCIA question (Linksys PCMPC100 V2/Dell Inspiron 4000) (P Stein)
  USB harddisk - how to get more out of it (William Wong)
  Re: that PCMCIA question (Linksys PCMPC100 V2/Dell Inspiron 4000) (Dean Thompson)
  Re: Reach maximum mount count? (Eric P. McCoy)
  MyLinux Pocket Linux Workstation Update! ("Rob Wehrli")
  INfo on high-capacity SCSI tape drive (Frank Saab)
  Re: run two linuxes (Michael Meissner)
  Re: run two linuxes (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Researching Linux & AMD Duron (olgnuby)

Subject: Re: run two linuxes
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 02 May 2001 20:39:32 -0400

"alik blochin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> can i run both Mandrake 8.0 and RH7.1 on the same hdisk ?
> i suppose i can but two separate disks would definitly be
> better choice for such endevour...
> the question is how do i do it?

No, the question is "why in the world would you _want_ to do it?"

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

From: Lars Luthman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fullscreen mode in xawtv, using PCTVpro
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:20:34 +0200

I have a Pinnacle PCTVpro TV card installed in my computer, and I use
xawtv to watch TV. It works fine with small window sizes, but when I try
to use fullscreen mode something goes wrong. I see the left edge of the
picture, the rest of the screen is black. The edge between the picture
and the black area isn't sharp, it's kind of fuzzy.

I'm using the drivers that came with Mandrake 8.0. xawtv is set to PAL
mode (I know it's the right mode, because it's the only one that looks
right).

--ll

------------------------------

From: Adriel Michaud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Stupid D-Link DFE-530+, how to fix in RH 7.1?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 01:30:05 -0000

Problem a.  I've got a D-Link DFE-538TX, which makes it part of the 530+
family that uses the realtek 8139 series chipsets.
Problem b.  I run RH 7.1

Compiling the rtl8139.c driver comes with nothing but errors, the 8139too
package doesn't work, and there is no pre-compiled version of the driver
module to be found (I think it's supposed to be included, but I can't find
the darn thing anywhere on the CD)

I'm in the midst of attempting to recompile my kernel, but with RedHat,
they make it so darn difficult if you're upgrading without their specific
kernel.

I've seen a fair bit of posts about this problem, and I've looked at a ton
of online references, but all signs point to "no dice".  I've even seen one
post saying that kernel 2.4.2 in RH 7.1 doesn't work with the driver.  So
one should just have to recompile right?  but I'm taking the stance that if
I'm going to be compiling I may as well cruise on up to kernel 2.4.4

Any help with these confounded nics would be appreciated.

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: that PCMCIA question (Linksys PCMPC100 V2/Dell Inspiron 4000)
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 11:30:27 +1000

Hi Yuri,

> I would very much appreciate any advice on how to get my new PCM card to
> work. I've installed Redhat 7.1 on Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop; my PCM card
> is Linksys Etherfast 10/100 (PCMPC100 V2). Some details on the

At this stage it doesn't look like the Card Services are capable of providing
support for the PCMPC100 Version 2 cards.  A quick check of:
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS shows that the basic card
is supported and that version 3 is not supported.  It doesn't talk about
version 2, but a number of postings that google found seemed to confirm the
basis that the PCMPC100 V2 card isn't being supported at the moment.

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joker 2 Thief)
Subject: The Excalibur GeForce 2 MX AGP and Linux
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 01:36:07 GMT

I just purchaced an Excalibur GeForce 2 MX AGP video card from Pine
Technologies and I, for the life of me, can't get it to work with Red
Hat 7.0. It will boot fine in Console mode, but it can't access the
card to start XWindows (I believe the version is 4... I just tried a
complete reinstall and I don't recall off the top of my head which
version comes standard with RH 7)... Even Xconfigurator dosen't seem
to like it. I have downloaded all of the latest drivers for it and
they compiled with out a hitch...

The only thing I can think of that I haven't gone looking for yet
would be some kind of AGP server/driver that dosen't come as part of
the standard XFree86 package.

If any one has any inight, it would be most appreciated

-J2T

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Reach maximum mount count?
Date: 03 May 2001 02:01:19 GMT

On Wed, 2 May 2001 15:53:32 +0200, Peter T. Breuer staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Jonadab the Unsightly One <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>  i believe the default is every 20 boots that it will do an
>>>  automatic fsck
>
>> Whatever the default max count is, it has always seemed so frequent
>> to me that the person who decided it must be obsessive-compulsive.
>> Once a month would be *plenty* often enough, IMO.
>
>Every twenty reboots would be about "every ten years". Where's the
>obsessive-compulsive nature in this???

Lots of people shut their Linux/BSD machines down or reboot every day
for various reasons.  Fan noise, power saving, booting a different OS,
etcetera.  Not everyone is running a machine that needs 24/7 uptime.  If
the long fsck times get on your nerves, try ReiserFS or another JFS that
shouldn't need fscking.  Or use tune2fs if you like to live dangerously.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Rodney D. Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson 640U & RedHat 6.2
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 19:05:36 -0700

Has anyone successfully used the Epson 640U USB scanner with RedHat
6.2?

Rodney D. Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Member of Digital Freedom Alliance
Amateur: KG6ANX            GMRS: WPOM592
ICQ# : 18002350            Have A NORML Day

------------------------------

From: J Hayward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: network card - redhat 7.1 [Thanks]
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 19:47:18 -0700

Hello,

DFE-530TX uses via-rhine
DFE-530TX+ uses rtl8139

According to Redhat's hardware compatability list newer revisions of these
cards are incompatible or problematic. It says some users have had success
updating to the 2.4 kernel (which 7.1 already uses) or using the drivers
from:

http://www.scyld.com/network/

Redhat's hardware compatibility list:

http://hardware.redhat.com

You might try manually adding the module if it isnt detecting it all and
see what happens, to /etc/modules.conf

alias eth0 via-rhine

then in a console:

modprobe eth0

Regards,
        Jijm H

------------------------------

From: "Zhan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Researching Linux & AMD Duron
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 23:09:06 -0400

Hi, I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully installed a Linux
distro on a machine running an AMD Duron processor.  In your reply, please
include your system configuration, the related distro with version, and any
other pertinent information.  I would also like to hear from those who have
been unable to install Linux on a Duron machine.  Please, of course, include
the info mentioned above.

Thanks for your help!

------------------------------

From: "blariz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 20:11:39 -0700

In the mean time he should try and follow these instructions from a Linux
help site.  I just installed RH7.1 on my Sager laptop and was having network
setup issues. Once I followed all of these instructions my Linksys PMP200
card was able to connect to my network.  Here is the Linux help link anyway:
http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/networking/networkconfig.shtml for
the command line instructions and
http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/networking/netcfg_ethernet.shtml for
the netcfg instructions.  Hopefully these will provide some ideas.
blariz

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: P Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 3 May 2001 03:21:16 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Yuri Fialko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would very much appreciate any advice on how to get my new PCM card to
> work.
> I've installed Redhat 7.1 on Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop; my PCM card is
> Linksys Etherfast 10/100 (PCMPC100 V2). Some details on the installation

I'm using this card right now to post this.

Socket 1:
  product info: "Linksys", "EtherFast 10/100 PC Card (PCMPC100 V2)",
"V2.0", " "
  manfid: 0x0149, 0xc1ab
  function: 6 (network)

I'm using the "8390" and "pcnet_cs" modules on RH7.0 on a Toshiba
Satellite Pro 420CDT.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what I had to do to
get it to work, but it is possible.

--
If one studies too zealously, one easily loses his pants.
                -- A. Einstein.

------------------------------

From: William Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: USB harddisk - how to get more out of it
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 11:53:18 +0800

Hi all,

I am using kernel 2.4.3 and I have attached a USB-IDE harddisk to my
thinkpad 600.
Right now, the current status is
Upon booting up
cat /proc/scsi/sci gives the following
Attached devices:
Host : scsi0 Channel : 00 Id: 00 Lun:00
Vendor :Quantum Mdoel: Sirocco1700A
Type : Direct Access    ANSI SCIS revision :02
cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/0 gives
Host scsi0: usb-storage
Vendor : Anchor Chips, Inc.?Firmare Fra
Product: Firmware Frameworks....
Serial Number:None
Protoclol :8020i
Transoport: Control/Bulk
GUID :04e60001000000000....

I also do a "mount -t usbdevfs /dev/usbdevfs /mnt/usbhd"
and when I "cd" to /mnt/usbhd
I got
"001" as a directory and 2 files, "devices" and "drivers"
and under directory "001", there are 2 files "001" and "002".

so what can I do further....i have tried fdisk /dev/usbdevfs and of
course failed.

any pointer or advise are appreciated.

I am really eager to get my USB-IDE HD going...
thks a lot.

William

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 13:51:11 +1000

Hi!,

> > I would very much appreciate any advice on how to get my new PCM card to
> > work.
> > I've installed Redhat 7.1 on Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop; my PCM card is
> > Linksys Etherfast 10/100 (PCMPC100 V2). Some details on the installation
>
> I'm using this card right now to post this.
>
> Socket 1:
>   product info: "Linksys", "EtherFast 10/100 PC Card (PCMPC100 V2)",
> "V2.0", " "
>   manfid: 0x0149, 0xc1ab
>   function: 6 (network)
>
> I'm using the "8390" and "pcnet_cs" modules on RH7.0 on a Toshiba
> Satellite Pro 420CDT.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what I had to do to
> get it to work, but it is possible.

I suspect that it may boil down to having to get an upgraded version of the
card services.  It would appear that RH7.1 card services don't have the card
definition for the LinkSys card.  Of course it will now be a matter to see
whether or not Yuri will be able to get the same version of card services or a
later version of card services working with his RH7.1 system.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 03 May 2001 00:04:44 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) writes:

[see subject]

> Or use tune2fs if you like to live dangerously.

I doubt very much that it's all that dangerous at this point in e2fs
development.  A timed e2fsck is far more useful than a max-mount
e2fsck, for exactly the reasons you pointed out (and I cut): people
leave their boxes on for dramatically varying periods of time.

From: "Rob Wehrli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MyLinux Pocket Linux Workstation Update!
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 21:46:27 -0700

Calling fellow Linux-ers!  Please help fund the MyLinux PLW project on
LinuxFund.org by visiting:

http://www.linuxfund.org/development/project/?id=44  and put your "Penguin
Pesos" to work!

Registering is free and with your help, we'll be able to continue
development of the MyLinux Pocket Linux Workstation!  See
http://www.azpower.com/mylinux for more details on the PLW.

Take Care.

Rob!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 22:49:08 -0600
From: Frank Saab <"fsaab"@(no-spam)ecrix.com>
Subject: INfo on high-capacity SCSI tape drive

Hi,

This is info on a good deal on a high-capacity SCSI tape drive that's
been mentioned a few times on this newsgroup.

The VXA- 1 tape drives are now available for just $649, which is  $400
off list price, for a U2W SCSI drive with 33/66 GB and 3/6 MBps. That's
about the same as a DDS drive, but _much_ better performance and
reliability. This is a manufacturer's closeout on discontinued (red and
blue) colors.  To find out more go to http://vxa.com/redBlue

- Frank.

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 May 2001 01:04:05 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> On 02 May 2001 19:17:09 -0400, Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"alik blochin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> can i run both Mandrake 8.0 and RH7.1 on the same hdisk ?
> >> i suppose i can but two separate disks would definitly be
> >> better choice for such endevour...
> >>
> >> the question is how do i do it?
> >
> >Yes, you can run multiple Linux distributions, much the same way you can run
> >Windows and Linux.  You put each distribution in its own partition, and boot
> >that.  I would recomend putting your /home and other files stuff in a
> >separate partition from either of the partitions holding the OSes, so that
> >you can share your data between releases.  You can definately share the swap
> >partition between the two linuxes.  On my laptop for instance, I have the
> >disk sliced up as follows:
>
> There's no problem having your /home directory structure in the same
> partition as one of your linuxes.  Just mount it from the other; they both
> use the exact same file system.  I'd be really annoyed if I had separate user
> data depending on which OS I booted.

To each their own, but in the years I have been using and managing UNIX (tm)
systems (which is about 23 or so), I find it easier if you put all of the OS
stuff in one partition (or disk), and all of the user stuff in a completely
separate partition, and if disk space allows, have two equal sized directories
that can hold the OS stuff and be capable of being booted.  This allows you to
have a rescue platform with all of the tools you like to use, and allows you to
experiment with new releases without destroying a working system.  I also find
I'm cursed, such that no Linux upgrade has ever worked for me, so I find it
easier just to do a full install each time.  Having stuff in separate
partitions also allows for things like dump, and to dump the important data
(your home directory, etc.) more frequently than the OS partition.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 May 2001 01:06:32 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy) writes:

> "alik blochin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > can i run both Mandrake 8.0 and RH7.1 on the same hdisk ?
> > i suppose i can but two separate disks would definitly be
> > better choice for such endevour...
> > the question is how do i do it?
>
> No, the question is "why in the world would you _want_ to do it?"

Off the top of my head:

   1)   You might be evaluating which system you like better;

   2)   You might be producing software that you want to make sure works on
        different distributions;

   3)   You may have distribution envy and think the grass is greener in
        another distribution.

From: olgnuby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Researching Linux & AMD Duron
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 00:06:01 +0000

Zhan wrote:

> Hi, I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully installed a Linux
> distro on a machine running an AMD Duron processor.  In your reply, please
> include your system configuration, the related distro with version, and any
> other pertinent information.  I would also like to hear from those who have
> been unable to install Linux on a Duron machine.  Please, of course, include
> the info mentioned above.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Got a little free time so I may as well waste some bandwith. Maybe you
and anyone interested can get a little use out of it.

The machine I'm working off right now is an AMD K-7 Athlon/Duron 700 on
a GA-7ZX MB with the VIA KT133 Chipset.

I guess the basics are:

320 meg ram
1 Samsung 6.5 gig HD
1 Maxtor 6.1 gig drive
1 Hi-Val 12x/40x DVD/CDROM
1 Samsung SW-408 CD-R/RW Drive
320 meg  PC-100 ram
STB Velocity 128 Video 8 meg
Hauppage WinTV Card
Jaton 56K V-90 non-pnp modem
Standard 3 1/2 Floppy
RealTek RTL8139 Network Card
On-Board Creative CT5880 sound (ens1371)
ProView 720 17" monitor
MicroSoft Intellipoint PS/2 mouse
and it's in an EnLight en-7230 Case.

Local piece by piece purchase and put together.

I'm running it right now Triple boot with Win98SE, Redhat 6.1, and a
Peanut Linux distro on it. Booting is controlled with PQ Boot Magic. Two
gig devoted to Win98, two gig devoted just a DOS partition for archiving
application and installation files on the primary disk, the full second
disk is allocated to ext2 on which the Peanut Linux I'm playing with and
building into a full fledged system, resides.

Particulars on each distro are, the RH 6.1 runs a 2.4.3 kernel, XFree86
4.3 and KDE 2.1.2 and a Netscape 6.1 in addition to the 4.63. I've run
it with the distro RH 2.2.10-20, a 2.2.17 and 2.2.19 kernel in addition
to the 2.4.3 that's on it at present.

The Peanut Linux is basically the same and evolved up from the standard
compact distro to the present.(some gymnastics to get around it's
stubborn default install insistence of being on a partition on the first
disk ;-))

The RedHat installed basically without a glitch.

Mandrake 7.1 sucked like only Mandrake 7.1 can suck.

COL 2.3 will not install on the system. Locks as soon as it tries to
load the kernel.

Sound was a bitch to get configured under Linux due to lack of
documentation and the fact that the via drivers for linux that ships on
the systems cd would not work with either of the systems and problems
with the AC97 codec. After I took a break from beating my brains out and
learned a little about ALSA, sound became pretty simple and it's turned
out to be the best sounding system on both distros and Win included,
that I've ever used.

The AMI bios took some getting used and some tweaking from default or
setup also for me since I've been basically with Award bios since my
8086 and IBM PS-2 days.

I could do what little work kind of work I do on a computer with vi or
DOS edlin, so the rest of it is all a hobby for me since I'm disabled
retired, and I'll probably brillo pad the disks in a couple of days and
try it with FreeBSD, another Deb Tater or something to just see what I
can get it to do.

Oh, I also set it up for a few days with a Caldera DrDOS install before
I put Win on it.

So far it's done good. But I'd not recommend doing it the way I've done
it for a first time puter builder and Linux new guy, or at least not the
faint of heart. ;-)

Okay, I'm through horn blowing and sorry if I took too much of the
disinterested's time and space.

Charlie

Posting off an AMD K-7 700, Peanut Linux distro with Netscape 6.1