Linux-Hardware Digest #18, Volume #10            Tue, 13 Apr 99 23:13:28 EDT

Contents:
  ALS100 Sound Card Configuration (Space Cop Gaban)
  Re: Help--cdwriting/HP CD-Writer Plus (Henryk Paluch)
  Re: ES 1371 on Intel 440BX motherboard (Franck Veysset)
  Re: Decision PCCOM 4 port serial adaptor ("Kenneth Ho")
  Re: sndconfig - PnP problems (Wayne Kovsky)
  Linux Modem Recommendation? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Decision PCCOM 4 port serial adaptor ("Kenneth Ho")
  Re: adaptec 2940uw problem (M Sweger)
  Re: More Diamond Viper 550 problems (please help) (James Stafford)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Leslie
Mikesell)
  Re: More Diamond Viper 550 problems (please help) (James Stafford)
  S3 Savage 3D & RH5.2 ("Arkadiy Korobeyko")
  Re: TNT in Linux? ("W. Wayne Liauh")
  Re: ES 1371 on Intel 440BX motherboard (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Video card recommendation for Linux X server ("Theo van der Merwe")
  Time Problems ("J. Benjamin Hale")
  ping utility ("David Claney")
  Re: NE2000 compatible card - how to setup? (Thomas Keats)
  Re: Time Problems (Thomas Keats)
  Re: Any device to mount my network card side ways instead of vertical? (Thomas Keats)
  Re: 2.2.x/2.2.5 kernel no like ATAPI CDR(W) or Acer 8x CD (WORLOK)
  STB Desktop TV Card (S Sachdeva)
  Re: 16:9 graphics in linux? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0 (Rick Ansell)
  Re: Xeon vs non-Xeon PII/PIII systems ("Morgan Pittkin")
  Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system? (westonpa)

From: Space Cop Gaban <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ALS100 Sound Card Configuration
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:47:26 +0800

greetings..

i've change back my sound card to als100 since i got a copy of redhat
5.9
CD......my sound card (als100) finally is supported and listed in the
kernel
... when i run sndconfig my card was detected but the following message
appeared :

The following error occured running the isapnp program:
/etc/isapnp.conf: 45 -- Fatal - resource conflict allocating 16 bytes of
IO
at 220 (see etc/isapnp.conf)
/etc/isapnp.conf: 45 -- Fatal - IO range check attempted while device
activated
/etc/isapnp.conf: 45 -- Fatal - error occured executing '<IORESCHECK>' -

further action aborted

so i run manual configuration but I got the "modprobe error" message
when
using
I/O Port    0 X 220
IRQ          5
DMA1      1
DMA2      3
MPU I/O   0 X 330
MPU IRQ  9

/lib/modules/2.2.3-5/misc/sb.o: invalid parameter mpu-irq sound: Device
or
resource busy

i've tried changing all the IRQ and DMA to different values but the
problem
still persist. anybody here  know how to solve this problem ?

TIA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henryk Paluch)
Subject: Re: Help--cdwriting/HP CD-Writer Plus
Date: 13 Apr 1999 19:08:51 +0100

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:56:13 -0600, root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have purchased the HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series.
>None of the programs I installed on linux (cdwrite, cdrecord, xcdroast
>etc. ) will talk to the device.
>I am using linux-2.2.5 and the following is booting messages.
>Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Hi!
  HP 8100 is supported by cdrecord, BUT you need to turn
on SCSI EMULATION for ide cd-rom drives, e.g., you need to recompile
your kernel selecting:

  SCSI emulation support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI) [N/y/m/?] y

You also need to enable SCSI support, SCSI cd-rom, and generic SCSI support
asked later.

When booting new kernel, you should see, that your HP 8100 was also detected
as SCSI CD-ROM. If it works, cdrecord should work w/o problems.
See README.ATAPI (included with cdrecord's sources) for more information.

Sincerely
  Henryk Paluch, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Franck Veysset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ES 1371 on Intel 440BX motherboard
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:47:46 +0200

Thanks for all your answers.
I just install kernel 2.2.5, choose the ES1371 in the sound card pannel,
and everything works fine.

-Franck

Franck Veysset wrote:

> I have a gateway G6-450 (Pentium II), running a red-hat 5.2
> Kernel is 2.0.36.
>
> On the motherboard, there is an integrated sound card, soundBlaster
> 16 compatible, based on an ES 1371 chipset.
>
> The only option on the setup, regarding the sound card, is
> a switch  : Enable/disable... So I guess this sound parameters are PnP ?
>
> I have only one OS on the hard drive (no way to boot under DOS or W**)
> I have try to compile the kernel with soundcard support, but that doesn't
> worked. I have try the usual I/O=0x220, IRQ=5, DMA=1/5...
> also try I/O=0x240 ...  (for the 100% sound blaster compatibles)
>
> The card is still not recognize (cat /dev/sndstat : no card found...)
>
> Does someone know how to tune the system to be able to compile this sound
> card ???
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Franck

    _/_/_/_/
   _/_/_/_/   CNET -- France Telecom
  _/_/_/_/

 Franck Veysset, Internet/Intranet Security
 E-Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Phone +33 (0)1 45 29 55 08 , Fax  +33 (0)1 45 29 65 19

------------------------------

From: "Kenneth Ho" <kh(anti_spam)@(anti-spam)macbrush.net>
Subject: Re: Decision PCCOM 4 port serial adaptor
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 01:15:34 +0800

Do you have any further information? I tried several things including IRQ
and I/O to no avail. setserial won't even autoconfig the UART. Any further
idea would be much appreciated.

Kenneth

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:07:09 -0600
From: Wayne Kovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.dev.sound
Subject: Re: sndconfig - PnP problems

Thomas Keats wrote:

> Could it be somehting with RedHat 5.2??

Could be -- I initially was running RedHat 5.1 on the system that has
the AWE64 in it, and all was well.  I later installed RedHat 5.2 (from
scratch) on a different hard drive in that same system, and again all
was well.  Upgraded to kernel 5.0.36, and still all was well.  Then
suddenly (nothing like this is ever "sudden", of course, this simply
means "after I had been using the system for awhile and doing all kinds
of things with it, one of which must have caused this problem but I have
no idea what it was" ;-), I lost both my AWE64 and my Ethernet card; I
couldn't get either to work.  Booting from the original hard drive
(still RedHat 5.1), everything still worked well.  Ultimately, I copied
the /etc/conf.modules file from the 5.1 system onto the 5.2 system, then
ran "isapnp" to generate a new /etc/isapnp.conf file, and now all is
well again on the 5.2 system.

--
Wayne Kovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Colorado Software Summit (A Java Programming Conference)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux Modem Recommendation?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 02:14:54 GMT

I am going to be buying a new modem that will be used with Linux RH5.2 and
Win98, what is the most compatible yet most reliable 56k modem to get? Hayes?
Rockwell? USR? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

From: "Kenneth Ho" <kh(anti_spam)@(anti-spam)macbrush.net>
Subject: Decision PCCOM 4 port serial adaptor
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 05:57:45 +0800

Our company recently purchased a Decision PCCOM 4 Port Serial Adapter. We
thought it should work under Linux (2.2.5), since on the manual it only
mentioned.

-- Manual --

The PCCOM 4 port adapter can be installed in the Linux by using serial
device driver supported by Linux. For more details, please refer to
'setserial' man pages.

> Please uncomment the appropriate lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial to enable
auto-configuration of PCCOM PCI bus 4 port card.

For example, uncomment the following lines for PCCOM PCI bus 4 port card

${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua4 ${AUTO_IRQ} autoconfig${STD_FLAGS}
${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua5 ${AUTO_IRQ} autoconfig${STD_FLAGS}
${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua6 ${AUTO_IRQ} autoconfig${STD_FLAGS}
${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua7 ${AUTO_IRQ} autoconfig${STD_FLAGS}

-- End of Manual --

It was all that to it. So we tried (actually, we modified it to ttyS4 - 7),
and ended up wrong IRQ, and kernel thought it was a AST Fourport. We ain't
even sure the IO is correct, and UART was recognized as unknown type.

Then later we found a patch for serial.c, arhh... we might be getting
somewhere... but since the serial part was rewritten for 2.2.x kernel, so
the patch doesn't work. Okay, we went back to 2.0.x kernel and have a go,
nope, it was too old so that the kernel won't actually compiled. The main
problem is that it isn't a diff file, but instead, a serial.c so we've to
replace the actually serial.c came with the kernel. They didn't mention the
right kernel version nor anything useful in the read me...

My question is... for a person without any programming knowledge (Pascal
doesn't count that is...) would be able to figure out how to patch the 2.2.x
kernel by looking at the source (the serial.c replacement for a very old
kernel) which I found from vendor's web site? Have anyone met this problem
before who can supply me some helpful hint? Would I be better off buying a
new card which is supported by the kernel (Any recommendation)? Anyone
willing to help me, please?

Thanks

Kenneth

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M Sweger)
Subject: Re: adaptec 2940uw problem
Date: 13 Apr 1999 20:47:12 GMT

Mike Lewis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:     I'm having a problem getting linux to detect my Adaptec 2940uw.
: Basically what happens is at boot up the scsi detect utility located on
: the card tells me that it found my cd writer (Spressa cdu948s) at scsi
: id 6.  It then says "SCSI bios not installed!" , which is ok since I
: don't have a hard drive connected to it.  Then linux starts and doesn't
: detect the card.  I've compiled generic scsi support and the aic7xxx
: driver into the kernel but nothing seems to work.  Any help would be
: appreciated.

What happens if you remove the CD writer hardware and all? Does it work then?
Are you booting UMSDOS or Linux native filesystem. What linux kernel version?

--
        Mike,

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Diamond Viper 550 problems (please help)
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 00:38:44 -0700

MoguI 55 wrote:

> ok i downloaded all files needed for upgrading Xfree and i followed the
> instalation instructions in the Releasenotes.  Everything seemed to go on fine.
>   I still cant get anyother resolution that 320 x204.  when i exit Xfree heres
> whats on my screen
>
> (--)SVGA: PCI Nvidia Unknown Chipset.......
> (--)SVGA: Chipset: generic
> (--)SVGA:using builtin driver modes
> (--)SVGA: Buildin Mode 320x204
> (--)SVGA: Virtural Resolution 320x204
> (--)SVGA: SpeedUp code selection modified because virturalX! 1024
>
> Can someone tell me what i have to do
>
> Thanks in advance [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You are using the XF_SVGA driver aren't you? If you are try to select the Riva 128
card, alot of people that have had problems find this selection to work quite
well.

jamess

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: 13 Apr 1999 12:50:09 -0500

In article <7ev7uv$m12$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
westprog  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>One of the first things we learn when we are being taught to read is that
>Bob, BOB, and bob are the same word.

Well, there is your problem.  I learned instead that there is a correct
place for capitals and that misusing them is a mistake.

  Les Mikesell

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 00:44:01 -0700

MoguI 55 wrote:

> ok i downloaded all files needed for upgrading Xfree and i followed the
> instalation instructions in the Releasenotes.  Everything seemed to go on fine.
>   I still cant get anyother resolution that 320 x204.  when i exit Xfree heres
> whats on my screen
>
> (--)SVGA: PCI Nvidia Unknown Chipset.......
> (--)SVGA: Chipset: generic
> (--)SVGA:using builtin driver modes
> (--)SVGA: Buildin Mode 320x204
> (--)SVGA: Virtural Resolution 320x204
> (--)SVGA: SpeedUp code selection modified because virturalX! 1024
>
> Can someone tell me what i have to do
>
> Thanks in advance [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I forgot to mention that you should make sure that you tell the driver how much
memory your card has. That the main thing that enables you to get higher
resolutions, the more memory the more resolution.

jamess

------------------------------

From: "Arkadiy Korobeyko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 Savage 3D & RH5.2
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:11:19 +0300

Hi All!
Is there any possibility to run XFree86 3.3.3-1 on this videocard.
I mean not 640*480 with 16 colours.

Tks  Arkadiy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:58:56 -1000
From: "W. Wayne Liauh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TNT in Linux?

I was told that it is already supported by 3.3.3.1

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:56:17 +0200

Steffen Kluge wrote:
> My experience with the AudioPCI (a.k.a. SoundBlaster PCI) card
> was a bit mixed:

> Also, the card doesn't support the ul format directly. That
> means you can't drop .au files onto the /dev/dsp or /dev/audio
> devices. Some apps depend on that. You have to use something
> like sox in between to convert into ub format.

draken:~> copy swedish.au /dev/audio
Works fine for me.

> I've only tried the driver that comes with RH5.2 so far, are
> there changes in the 2.2.x drivers?

draken:~> cat /dev/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.3.0-pre3 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux draken 2.0.33 #5 Sat Feb 6 18:38:56 MET 1999 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 at 0xe000, irq 12

Audio devices:
0: ES1371 DAC2/ADC

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices:
0: ES1371

Timers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Mixers:
0: AC97 generic

  WARNING!!! The /dev/sndstat device is obsolete. Support for this
device may
  be REMOVED in the future!!! Better information about ALSA driver is
available
  in the /proc/asound directory.

The ALSO drivers work fine for me, for more info about ALSA see
http://alsa.jcu.cz

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Theo van der Merwe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video card recommendation for Linux X server
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:58:27 +0200

I am looking to replace a Matrox Millenium 8MB G200 video card (doesn't work
correctly under Redhat 5.2) with a simple, hassle free, freely available and
inexpensive video card. What video card would you recommend that is
autodected by the X server (doesn't require tweaking of configuration files)
and gives reasonable performance under Linux (a 17 inch LG monitor will be
used)? I have had some problems with a S3 Virge video card before.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Theo van der Merwe ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "J. Benjamin Hale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Time Problems
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:36:55 -0400

I accidentally set Linux to think that my CMOS was set to GMT when it really
wasn't.  It isn't imperative, but I would like to know how to change that.
Thanx.

--

J. Benjamin Hale
85 SE 16th Avenue, F203

------------------------------

From: "David Claney" <dclaney@qa(Spamfree)display.com>
Subject: ping utility
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:44:19 -0400

simple question? linix machine can ping all the machines on network with
great success but i can not ping it from win95 machine?

this hurdle to get over then onto Samba!!!
This stuff gets more facinating by the minuet. ;-)

All responses greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Keats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NE2000 compatible card - how to setup?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:00:36 -0400

I think you need to configure your system to startup eth0 on boot

easiest way since you are using RedHat 5.x is to go into x. su to root in a
xterm, and run netcfg
set the networking in there, or edit available choices if existant. make shure
you check the "start on boot" checkbox.

and of course, dont forget to highlight and activate.

hopw this helps..

------------------------------

From: Thomas Keats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Time Problems
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:56:31 -0400

depends on how you want to go bout doin it??

1. adjust cmos time to correspond with GMT time

2. Run setup (if redhat 5.x) and set the time info in there...

Note: there are other ways for other distribs, but all i use is redhat atm.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Keats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any device to mount my network card side ways instead of vertical?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:03:06 -0400

stephen wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Are there any device to mount my PCI NIC side ways instead of vertical?
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

 at the risk of sounding rude, try a tower-case ;)

you should explain a lil more of what exactly you are trying to do? and why..

------------------------------

From: WORLOK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: 2.2.x/2.2.5 kernel no like ATAPI CDR(W) or Acer 8x CD
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 02:46:56 GMT

It's fixed.  Now that I have the new 40x CDROM which detects fine, I was able
to see by your message that I just plain screwed up when trying to mount this
thing.  I totally forgot that when using a SCSI driver that the device name
changes (DOH!).  I feel like newbie scum.  I apologize for my ignorant plea.
It should have been obvious.  Thank you for your informative reply.

I was also able to correct a DMA problem I had with my Adaptec AHA 1542 not
getting its DMA - I compiled Sound into the kernel with the wrong DMA - so I
recompiled as a module so it would be more friendly.

One lingering problem, when using XCDROAST to do a test burn, the HP
Surestore CDRW would not eject it's CD after the test.  It was in a hung
mode.  Don't know why.....

Rgds,

Tom

From: S Sachdeva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: STB Desktop TV Card
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:46:50 -0400

Hi,

I have just added this card to my PC, compiled the bttv drivers for the card.

I get a can't locate char-major-81-0 in the logs and kwinTv crashes with
can't open /dev/video: Operation not supported by device.

I do not see the card being detected in the logs ( I can see my sound card in
dmesg ).

Has anyone got this card to work. Would appreciate any help on how to get
this card working.

I am running the 2.2.5 kernel with VIDEO NOT compiled in the kernel but
compiled through the BTTV 0.6.3 driver.

Thx
Sandeep

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 16:9 graphics in linux?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:32:37 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> How do one drive a 16:9 widescreen display in Linux?
>
> A number of notebook/sub-note (eg nec, sony) offers widescreen
> display.  This issue is also applicable for the increasingly common
> plasma displays, which are mostly 16:9 (853x480).  Their literature
> often says that they can be driven by standard VGA and can "stretch"
> the image to fill the entire widescreen. I haven't found any clear
> explaination on how one can properly take advatage of all the pixels
> in the widescreen format

Maybe you will find what you search for if you start by reading the
Modeline mini HowTo. On my slackware system I have that text in
/usr/doc/faq/howto/mini/Modeline.gz.

regards Henrik

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick Ansell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:24:36 GMT

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 05:03:29 +0100, Shimpei Yamashita
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Rick Ansell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>I still use Agent under Wine for news, but I'm working on
>>understanding INN. I now use Lyx for document production. I use
>>Navigator for the web...
>
>If you are merely trying to read news offline, leafnode is probably
>the easiest thing to use. Setup literally takes only a few minutes of
>work, whereas with INN you could spend hours and hours just reading
>the documentation, 98% of which you aren't going to use because you
>are not trying to run a real news server.
>
>The major downside (IMHO) is that leafnode doesn't let you filter
>articles, so if you have a lot of killfiles you could end up
>downloading a lot of articles you don't read. However, if you get
>bogged down trying to set up INN, you might want to give it a shot.
>
>ftp://ftp.troll.no/pub/freebies/
>
>If you decide to adopt slrn as your newsreader, you can also use
>slrnpull to fetch articles.

I looked at all the above, but they don't fit with my long term
plans <Evil grin>

These involve providing a back-up system for a gatewayed mailing
list / newsgroup pair and writing stuff so said pair appear as a
single group on my machine.

Other plans lurk at the back of my ever inventive head...

Rick
--

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern
technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

------------------------------

From: "Morgan Pittkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xeon vs non-Xeon PII/PIII systems
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:03:46 -0400

John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Sascha Bohnenkamp wrote:
> >
> > >We're planning to purchase a new workstation and are trying to decide
if
> > >the Xeon chip offers any advantages over a comparable non-Xeon chip
> > >which would be useful to us.  My understanding is that the Xeon's
faster
> > no -- xeon with same cache size is NOT faster, but you could build a 4
cpu
> > xeon system --- not possible with p3 or p2
>
> Hmmm...I was under the impression that the L2 cache on the Xeon ran at
> processor speed, where the cache on the others ran at 1/2 processor
> speed...
>
> John

that's right, also you can get up to 8 xeons in one system.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (westonpa)
Subject: Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?
Date: 13 Apr 1999 20:01:13 -0700

Hi,

I am having a hard time finding a low cost SCSI scanner. So far, the ones
which I want are either discontinued, or the only SCSI version is for
a Mac. So my question is, can a Mac SCSI scanner work under a PC linux
system? If so, then I will quickly by one.

--Weston