Linux-Hardware Digest #42, Volume #10            Fri, 16 Apr 99 06:13:39 EDT

Contents:
  Re: CAN I RUN LINUX AND WHICH IS BEST (Ed Wilts)
  Re: an easy hardware question (jason)
  Re: OPTi 931 soundcard: it's alive? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Jürgen
Exner")
  Re: Creative Pci64 unsupported ?? ("4Season")
  Non-destructive HD repartition? ("4Season")
  Re: Creative RIVA TNT 16Mb ("M.C. van den Bovenkamp")
  ATA-66 Driver (Jim Battin)
  Re: 3dfx VooDoo3 (Eric Bohn)
  Adapdec 2940UW on Linux (Timshel Yarrah Knoll)
  Re: ELKS-- Does anybody have any experience with it? Can the people who do supply
ideas? (Gary Momarison)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Jürgen
Exner")
  X Windows problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: sndconfig - PnP problems (Thomas Keats)
  Re: I/O error on SCSI disk ("Carl R. Friend")
  Re: Where do I find a Linux driver? (Gary Momarison)
  Re: Problems with ATI All-in-Wonder video card config using xf86config, startx
("DFarmer")
  Tyan 1590s, K6-2, and IDE-ZIP (Skip Egdorf)
  The Fastest way to prepare for a successful IT career!
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Rob Eamon")
  Re: Jaz Drive support? (Jarl Friis)
  STB Desktop TV PCI Card. (S Sachdeva)
  Re: sndconfig - PnP problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (jedi)
  Re: AVer TV 98 or ASKEY TView 99 under Linux (jedi)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (jedi)

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CAN I RUN LINUX AND WHICH IS BEST
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:34:14 -0500

Hugo van der Merwe wrote:

> > The machines main purpose is Word processing, net surfing, CAD and image
> > manipulation, and creating music using software such as cubase, cakewalk
> > etc. What software is avaliable for linux for such tasks and where do i
> > obtain it.
>
> We should really try and convince Steinberg to make a Linux version of
> Cubase. That would be COOL.

There is a project underway called Koobase that is aimed to be similar
to Cubase.  It isn't there yet, but at least parts of it are working.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: an easy hardware question
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:27:55 -0400

Brian Langenberger wrote:

> Does anyone know where I could find Linux plates to replace those on an
> IBM ThinkPad?  You know, those little metal things that say "IBM ThinkPad"
> on them?  A 1"x1" plate/sticker should suffice.  Then the whole world can
> know in advance not to ask "you're running Windows, right?"
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks!

Have you looked at http://scotgold.chillin.org ?  They have some nice stickers...
just got mine today.  :-)

-jason

(to reply via email, make the appropriate substitution in my email address)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OPTi 931 soundcard: it's alive?
Date: 14 Apr 1999 23:45:01 GMT

Oscar Kind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I've a OPTi931 soundcard SB Pro compatible. I've recompiled my Kernel
>> (it's 2.0.34) for this card

I could configure a card like that on a 2.2.x kernel, even with FULL DUPLEX.
Check the Documentation of the new kernel's...

If you want, i can send you my isapnp.conf and conf.modules, but for that
send me an email ( slug (at) alumni.dee.uc.pt ) so i can remember

Bye

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:32:11 -0700

Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7f5lr4$dvk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <1ZqR2.12$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Rob Eamon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>When I program under NT (with Emacs, of course)
> >>all my filenames are lowercase, and I'd wager that almost every
> >>programmer out there does the same.  When I save my Word document,
> >>however, it is another story because "CD Report May 1999" is more
> >>descriptive.
>
> But do you actually ever retype that mess from memory?  If you[...]

Of course not, and it's not necessary in the first place.
A "CD<TAB>" will do just fine (provided you are using a decent shell).

jue
--
Jürgen Exner

------------------------------

From: "4Season" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Pci64 unsupported ??
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:27:20 -0600

Odd, I have the Ensoniq AudioPCI, which, under Windows98, uses Soundblaster
64 PCI software without a hitch. Red Hat Linux 5.2 supports it just fine. So
far, most of the installation problems I've encountered have been fixed by
finding the appropriate software updates.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: "4Season" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Non-destructive HD repartition?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:42:07 -0600

What's the best way to repartition a hard drive, without disturbing the data
on it?

I goofed and only allocated maybe 10 megabytes to /OPT, only to find that
the first two packages I installed both wanted it, and ran out of space!

Nothing too complicated about the hard drive: A brand-new 8.4G Maxtor,
containing Linux, and only Linux (another drive contains all of my Windows98
stuff)

------------------------------

From: "M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative RIVA TNT 16Mb
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:26:36 +0200

thinus pollard wrote:

> i tried to install linux (Redhat 5.1)  with this card, but xserver
> didn't want to know anything about it. any ideas...?

http://www.dejanews.com would be my first suggestion. XFree 3.3.3.1 the
second.

                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        CIO EMEA Network Design Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS BZK 32
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724
        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jim Battin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATA-66 Driver
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:00:03 -0500

As you may or may not know, they came out with something better then
UltraDMA for the IDE interface: ATA-66 (66meg/sec).

I was wondering, are they working on a linux driver for this?  I'm
asking this because i dont know whether to get an ULtraDMA, or Ultra-ATA
HD in the next 3 months.

Thanks

Jim Battin

From: Eric Bohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3dfx VooDoo3
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 06:19:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  sxltrex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just bought a 3dfx VooDoo3 2000 PCI.  Does anyone have any idea if
> anyone is working on Linux drivers for this card?  (By the way, it kicks
> ass on Half-Life).

Daryll Strauss: you'll find him at 3dfx.glide.linux.

- Eric Bohn

From: Timshel Yarrah Knoll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rmit.comp.os.linux
Subject: Adapdec 2940UW on Linux
Date: 16 Apr 1999 07:21:37 GMT

I'm in the market for a SCSI adapter, but I've noticed that the linux kernel
doesn't support the Adapdec 2940UW (or any of the 2940's, for that matter).
The 2940UW is my card of choice, so does anyone know if there is a driver or
anything for it???

--
Timshel Knoll
First year Comp. Science, RMIT

e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ELKS-- Does anybody have any experience with it? Can the people who do
supply ideas?
Date: 15 Apr 1999 17:26:18 -0700

Not me, but you might find some useful links at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/embedded.html

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:28:36 -0700

Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7f5bq8$90j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> bad old habits; if you raise an "open file" in most Unix GUI apps, but
> instead of clicking you type the filename and the case is wrong, you'll
get
> an error.

Why would you ever want to type a whole file name? Usually I type at most
the first 3 characters and then <TAB>.
Or does the file name completion in your favorite shell not respect
upper/lower case?
Mine does.

jue
--
Jürgen Exner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: X Windows problems
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:43:17 GMT

I'm trying to install Redhat Linux 5.2 on my Compaq Presario 1670, which has
an AMD K6 350Mhz Processor, 64MB RAM and 8MB of VRAM. The video card is an
ATI Technologies RAGE LT Pro 2+, which is listed at www.xfree86.org as using
the same server (driver?) as other ATI cards in the mach64 series.

But the exact card isn't listed during Xconfigurator. And I can't run X
Windows properly. The command startx does get me to X, but the screen is
split in half, and there's no echo in the command box and various other
problems.

I tried installin it as a generic VGA16 and changing the vertical and
horizontal refresh rates.

I would really appreciate some help.

From: Thomas Keats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.dev.sound
Subject: Re: sndconfig - PnP problems
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:09:59 -0400

I think somehow it lost the sound module.
 Last night i popped into work to play with it, ended up recompiling a kernel, that
previously either wouldnt compile, or wouldnt load into lilo.  worked flawlessly this
time, ran sndconfig and whala, sound.

thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Carl R. Friend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I/O error on SCSI disk
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:26:47 -0400

"Frédéric Hoerni" wrote:

> Hello,
> I got the following message a few times when booting linux :
>
> /dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced
> scsi disk i/o error : dev 08:01 sector .....etc...
> Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of the problem and is it easy to correct ?

   One word of advice: "Get a good backup _now_, before it's too
late!"

   After that step :-) take the system to single-user mode and run
e2fsck (or the appropriate fsck for your filesystem type) and use
the "scan for bad blocks" option ("-c" in e2fsck). You _may_ get
lucky and not lose anything, but then again with a bad spot on your
disk (is it always the same block?) you could lose a lot.

   The "-c" option finds bad blocks and adds them to the "bad block"
inode (which makes them allocated) so they don't get used for anything
else.

   This, of course, assumes you've reseated cables, checked power,
&c....

| mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                |                     |
| http://www.ultranet.com/~crfriend/museum       | ICBM: N42:22 W71:47 |

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where do I find a Linux driver?
Date: 15 Apr 1999 18:00:53 -0700

"Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am new to Linux. I have a Winnov Videum AV (video capture) board and I
> want to know if there is a Linux driver for it. I have tried e-mailing the
> manufacturers, but they are taking their time in replying.
>
> does anyone know if there is such a driver, and if so, where do I find it?
>
> Also, where does someone look if they want to know if a particular driver
> exists - i.e. which newsgoups, websites etc ?

Never heard of it.  There's some links to TV stuff at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/video.html

I'd normally do some grepping (searching) in the kernel source directory
tree first. Maybe start to rebuild the kernel and look in the
configuration menus.  Use DejaNews to search newsgroups. Look in
Gary's Encyclopedia.  Use AltaVista to search WWW.  In that order.

From: "DFarmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Problems with ATI All-in-Wonder video card config using xf86config, startx
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:10:18 -0500

>On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:12:25 -0700, "SDC News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm having the same problem.  AIW Pro 8M OEM PCI using Redhat 5.2 and
either
>>XFree 3.3.2 or 3.3.3 (neither work).  It's probably just a few lines to
>>"synch up" the screen.  The screen is visible, it's just scrambled.
>>
>>I've tried using the VGA16, SVGA and Mach64 drivers and virtualy every
>>combination of vertical and horizontal frequences (including those
specified
>>specificaly for my monitor and those my Win98 runs at) with no success.
>>
>>Scott Satterfield
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm having this same problem.  What's the deal here?  How do we solve this?

-DF

------------------------------

From: Skip Egdorf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan
Subject: Tyan 1590s, K6-2, and IDE-ZIP
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:49:33 -0600

I have a new machine with a 1590s, 1.14a BIOS, and an AMD K6-2/300
jumpered 3x100 with 64 MB of PC-100 on a DIMM.

The system has a disk as IDE-1 master, a CD as IDE-2 master, and
an NCR-manufactured ZIP drive as IDE-2 slave.

The Zip drive is recognised as B: with Win-95b. Linux 2.2.4 sees
the zip as /dev/hdd, but reports that two different sizes (both about
100 MB, but different) are detected and cannot read the drive
or partition tables.

A similar system with an FIC-503+ mother board has the same ZIP
drive seen as "removable drive D:" by 95b and a correctly operating
/dev/hdd by Linux.

The Iomega documentation has a load of warnings about disabling
automatic recognition in the BIOS, yet I can find nothing in the
Tyan 1.14a BIOS to disable.

I can live with Windows seeing the drive as B: rather than D: as I
don't use Windows for much. However, I would like to figure out
why Linux is acting weird with this device. Any suggestions?

                    Skip Egdorf

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: The Fastest way to prepare for a successful IT career!
Date: Thursday, 15 Apr 1999 20:43:12 -0600

For More Information:
http://www.cbtnow.com/index.html?ASCID=134

The Fastest way to prepare for a successful IT career!
CBT Systems offers the fastest and easiest way to prepare you for a successful career
in the ever-expanding Information Technology (IT) industry. Our Self-Study Courses are
100% computer-based training (CBT) available through electronic download or CD-ROM to
give you flexibility unmatched by traditional training methods.

From: "Rob Eamon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:43:52 -0600

Craig Kelley wrote in message ...
[snip]
>Can we *please* kill this thread now?

Sure. You only need to stop replying to others. ;-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jarl Friis)
Subject: Re: Jaz Drive support?
Date: 16 Apr 1999 11:29:11 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Yes, it's an external SCSI.

>I have a cartridge in it that is currently setup for FAT, but I have another
>that I'll use for Linux.

>Which brings me to..., what device is this drive-type associated with, and
>would I mount it in the usual filesystem manner?  Also, can I just use the
>fdomain loadable module to get access to it (like I do for the External SCSI
>CD on the chain), or is there a better way?

you can see what partions exist and filesystem they have on
preformated cartridges by using fdisk sda (Just look, dont
touch). then use mount to mount the found partitions. Normally Iomega
uses partition 4, that means you mount like this:
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/jaz

NEW cartridges can be partiitoned with fdisk

I dont know what fdomain is?

Jarl, Denmark

------------------------------

From: S Sachdeva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: STB Desktop TV PCI Card.
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:04:52 -0400

Hi,

Thx for your suggestions. I am able to SEE Tv now on my PC NO sound though.

Tried all suggestions in xawtv Sound-FAQ.

Is anyone using this card with Linux.

I have a Creative Ensoniq sound card ( es1371 chip ), it is working fine.

STB Card has a Phillips Tuner, an FM 1236 radio tuner, BT878KHF video chip and
a  TDA9850 audio chip.

I have tried connecting audio out of TV card to cd in, TV tuner in and IDE in
on the creative card no success so far.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sandeep

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.dev.sound
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:18:46 GMT

Any ideas on getting an OPTI931 sound card working?
Please!

PAA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:40:44 -0700

On 15 Apr 1999 14:20:56 -0600, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Rob Eamon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> >Correct me if I'm wrong, but do "nontechnical users" ever type a
>> >filename after they create it?  In my experience, they always go to
>> >the file manager or File->Open inside the app.
>>
>> Then why is case-sensitivity important?
>
>It really isn't.  It's just different.
>
>I wouldn't say it is a benefit for UNIX, but I wouldn't say it is a
>limitation either.

        Most filenames are all lower case and that is that...

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this invasion in committe."          / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Subject: Re: AVer TV 98 or ASKEY TView 99 under Linux
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:41:31 -0700

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:34:31 +0200, Disnel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>   I want to buy one of theese cards
>   does anybody some experience with this?
>
>Thanks

        No. However, I have had success with the Hauppauge WinTV 401.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:40:03 -0700

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:41:23 +0200, Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > Yeah... I'm always impressed how people have hope to push Unix to
>> > nontechnical users by providing beautiful GUIs like GNOME or KDE, and
>> > ignoring more fundamental usability problems.  What is user-friendly in
>the
>> > dizzying-beautiful eterm or other "user friendly" programs, if you type
>> > wrong case and you still get an error message?  You are not attacking
>the
>> > fundamental problems.
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but do "nontechnical users" ever type a
>> filename after they create it?  In my experience, they always go to
>> the file manager or File->Open inside the app.
>
>That's when you have a good GUI and can you use it.  It was not the case for
>old DOS -- although not a user-friendly CLI, less scaring than Unix

        DOS was NOT less scary than Unix.

>certainly -- and it's the case in Unix today because even if you have CDE,
>GNOME or whatever, lots of tasks require you open an *term and type things.

        Like what exactly?

>The GUI shells and utilities do not cover everything by a large margin (even
>ignoring the advanced stuff that's only important for admins or developers).
>While Unix GUIs are becoming better, they insist in being "compatible" with
>bad old habits; if you raise an "open file" in most Unix GUI apps, but
>instead of clicking you type the filename and the case is wrong, you'll get
>an error.

        What are you doing not using the mouse for that to begin with?