From: "Jacek M. Holeczek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: ESS sound cards
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:56:42 +0100

Hi,
Below you can find some of my old mails concerning ESS sound cards.
I am sending them because quite a lot of people found them very useful ( I
get mails from them from time to time ).
Hope this helps,
Jacek.

Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 08:45:47 +000 (MET)
From: Jacek M. Holeczek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Alessandro Orsaria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ESS ES1868, ES1869 sound cards howto ( 2 )

Hi,
The 1688 is configured by software and/or by jumpers. You need to have a
look at your card ( and into the manual of your card ). If you see jumpers
there, you should set OSS/Free settings to values which correspond to
these jumpers. Additionally, your 1688 may be configured by software and
you should download the ESSCFG.EXE program which is also able to "dump"
the settings of your card ( it's a DOS utility ). You may already have
this utility on a diskette or CD which came with your sound card, but if
you don't have it, you can download it from :
    http://www.esstech.com/Technical/drivers/downloadable/drivers/driver.htm
Of course, both : "jumper settings" and "software settings"  ( from the
ESSCFG.EXE ) should be EQUAL.
Finally, some known problems are in :
    http://www.4front-tech.com/ossfree/problems.html
Note also that my mail was about 1868/1869, so not everything there is
also true for 1688. Expecially, I think, you cannot simply take my
/etc/soundconf, place it in /etc/ and say "Y" when "make config" asks
about it. You should rather say "N" here and go through all questions
( the problem is related to SB MPU401 IRQ, which I set to -1 and you should
set it to the value used by your sound card - in this case there will be
additional line(s) in /etc/soundconf which is not present when it's -1 ).
You might also like to have a look at :
    http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/ess1868.html
    http://slf.gweep.net/~sfoskett/hardware/audiodrive.html
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/1339/mysystem.html#ESS
Informations provided on these sites are sometimes not very accurate, but
they may be helpfull for you.
Jacek.

------------------------------

From: "HAZE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Image browser for linux?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:54:47 GMT

also
you can try xbmbrowser it shows a the image in it's window
HAZE

------------------------------

From: "Martin Böck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Disk mirroring under linux with existing installation
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:07:07 +0100

Hi !
My problem is to mirror two equal size disks as good as possible.
I now use
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2
dd if=/dev/sda3 of=/dev/sdb3

Is this a secure method. Are there problems, or
Can I install Raid with an existing installation without destroying data ( I
cannot turn of the machine too long, as it is our primary web server,
etc...)

Can you help me ?!
[EMAIL PROTECTED] for answers !

------------------------------

From: Matthias Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to set up X window on my system ( SiS 6326)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 08:39:18 -0800

Try unsupported generic VGA cards and 640x480 VGA display. This should work
with any hardware. If you get X running, try to switch to SVGA card and set
the display manually to 800x600@75Hz. This way you can try to get closer to
the optimum settings. But as long your video card is not supported properly,
you might not be able to use it to full extend.

------------------------------

From: Dr Michael Mattes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: STAG Ram Chip for Board GA-586DX
Date: 28 Dec 1998 10:59:16 -0000

Hello

i want to upgrade my Gigabyte-Mainboard (GA-586DX, CPU Pentium 200,
Chip-Set 430HX TritonII) from 64MB to 128 MB Ram. Of course, this only
makes sense if the memory will be cached. The 430HX Chip-Set can
manage up to 512MB Ram. But for this one also needs a STAG-Ram Chip. I
looked for it on the board, but didn´t manage to find it, nor do i find
an empty place to install it.

So my question is:

Must i buy also a STAG_Ram Chip or is it installed already ?
If i must by one, where can i get it ?

Many thanks for an advice!

        Regards Michael