From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Dos partition
Date: 14 Jun 2000 00:41:45 EDT

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:07:51 -0400, Martin Smith
<<8i6tj0$3bio$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:

>I have a Win98 partition I want to mount (Slackware)
>so I did: mkfs -t msdos /dev/hda1

You're damned lucky that the following error message occurred.

>attempting to make a file system too large :it says?

Hint:  mkfs is roughly equivalent to FORMAT in the MS-DOS world.  If this
had gone through, you'd have completely wiped /dev/hda1!  Not what you
wanted, surely.

ANyway, the error message means your Lose98 partition is > 2G, and your
mkdosfs program is old enough that it doesn't handle FAT32
correctly.  Upgrade your filesystem utilities--better yet, if you're using
a really old version of Slack, upgrade the entire distro.

The commands you're looking for are:
# mkdir /mnt/win
# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

------------------------------

From: "lumien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake-Update
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:55:32 GMT

i am running mandrake 7.1 through a proxy server (winproxy) to get to the
net. i need to put proxy settings into the madrake-update program in order
to get it to connect to the internet to download the updates, but everytime
i run the program it fails to find any servers (because it cant connect to
the net without the proxy settings) and then it closes the program without
giving me a chance to enter the correct proxy settings. has anybody
experienced this before, is there a fix? possibly a newer rpm/binary? any
help would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Lesley Lawless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: it.comp.hardware.modem,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Diamond modem problems (any init string I can try?)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:02:29 +0100

Wouter Verhelst wrote:

Thank you for the init strings. I tried it out last night
and, although one session is not enough to be certain, I was
connected for over an hour without any hangups at a
reasonable speed. I was even able to download the active
newsgroup list from my ISP, for the first time ever, in krn.
I used +ms=10 with the line speed set at 57600 and I had
reasonable speeds without hangups.

--
Lesley Anna

------------------------------

From: "Alex Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing RH 6.1 on Gateway Desktop system
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:44:55 +0200

Ross,

Thanks for the info.

However, I have already been to the Promise site, downloaded their patch,
created a boot floppy as per their instructions and tried a new install.
When I do this I get as far as RH asking me if my installation is on a HD or
a CD. When I choose the CD my CD drive whirrs for a bit and then nothing.
The system then just hangs.

Alex Robinson

------------------------------

From: Alexander Fong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Subject: Re: Anandtech and powersupplies (Was Re: Silent Power Supply?)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 03:01:56 -0400

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Bob wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:00:10 -0400, Alexander Fong
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Bob wrote:
> >> On Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:48:05 GMT, "J Sheridan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >> wrote:
> >It's more of a question of tolerance.  I have yet to see any PSU more
> >stable in terms of voltage regulation than the Antec that I just got.  The
> >voltage hardly fluctuates at all.
> I'm quite sure you will notice a voltage drop when you spin up a
> CD-ROM, even at half load and using some HW monitoring program
> set to max. resolution (1 sec. or more <G>).

Yeah, since you're drawing power to spin it up.  But I'm talking idle
condition...

> To study voltage regulaton you'll need a scope bud.

By voltage regulation in this case, depends on how bad the voltage
fluctuates according to the internal monitoring hardware.  Yes, it's not
'proper', but it does give you a comparison, and you'll only be able to
see if it's a serious problem (ie: qualitative measure).

Alexander Fong                         ap_fong (at) alcor.concordia.ca
       Can I yell "Science!" in a crowded religion conference?

From: "Gertjan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Acecad Tablet & XFree4
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:59:06 +0200

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to setup an AceCad Flair with XFree 4.0?

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hommel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bad Partition ??
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:53:54 +0200

I suspect, you have no filesystem on your newly created partition (Itīs
not formatted yet). Try the following:

# mke2fs /dev/hda2
Then mount the partition.

Tom

--
=========================
Thomas Hommel

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hommel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: speed hit with two drives on one ide controller ?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:06:10 +0200

Your UDMA66 drive will run in UDMA33 mode if thereīs another slow device
on the controller.
Why donīt you put both UDMA66 drives on the same cable? Even a VERY fast
drive doesnīt send more than 25 MB/s of data, UDMA66 can handle (nearly)
66 MB/s, so there should be no performance impact.

Tom

--
=========================
Thomas Hommel

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE lockup problems (2.4.0-test1 w/ a bp6 motherboard)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 01:20:11 -0700

Are you using andre's ide patch?

ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/*
--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: "cyfur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMC Ultra ISA NIC setup
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:13:34 +1000

Hi,

Does anyone know of a linux utility to set the card parameters on an SMC
Ultra ISA NIC ?

It has several options for IRQ, base memory etc, and in the past I have had
to pull the card and put it into a windows system to run the DOS mode setup
program that I have.

It isn't PnP unfortunately, so I can't do it that way.

Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you.
Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen?= Knauth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problems with HP Laserjet 6P
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:58:52 +0200

Hi

My HP Laserjet 6P does not work properly under Linux. It prints very
well but before each printed page my printer spats out two pages with
"%!" on top and nothing more and after each printed page i receive an
empty page. So instead of one page all in all four pages are used for
one page of printing.

I use ghost script version 5.50 that is capable of 600x600 dpi. In
earlier versions with 300 dpi everything worked fine but now I do not
manage to configure everything to 300 dpi so that it works like before.
I used all available three printer modules for laserjets and none of
them showed any different behaviour.

I also should mention that I do print via Samba from a Windows box. If I
print some simple text with lpr it does work fine, no extra pages are
printed. This behaviour appears only if I try to print with Samba. I
configured the printer under Windows in such a way that the raw printing
device is used. Strangly when the raw data gets piped through apsfilter
and all the stuff the resulting data seems to contain information for 3
extra unnecessary pages.

How can I debug the printing process? I mean: How can I get the raw data
received by apsfilter and how can I get the raw data sent to /dev/lp0?
Or does anyone know how to solve this problem somehow? I am thankful for
any help.

Please reply directly by mail. Thanks.

Joey

------------------------------

From: "Eddie De Roos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: QU: Dual head (mdacon) problem
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:12:59 -0700

Dear all,

My primary card is a nVidia TNT onboard. It is driving the console in
framebuffer-mode.

I am now testing a Visa Hercules monitor on a nameless card. It is
functional as the primary display system in another linux box.

When I load mdacon, the kernel recognizes the card, says it has 8kB of RAM,
no error.

De screen shows only horizontal wobbly lines.
I can see that the monitor gets a signal, as the wobblies changes on
keyboard input.

Anyone ?

Thanks in advance

--
eddie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Igor Boukanov)
Subject: Re: IDE Zip disk faster via ide-scsi ???
Date: 14 Jun 2000 11:46:48 +0200

In comp.os.linux.hardware Christopher McClan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Could you please enlighten me as to where I might find out how to use
> ide-scsi for an IDE zip drive. Presumably then all the normal zip drive
> tools will work with the drive and I can eject it properly as well
> etc...
>
> Cheers
>
> Cim

Well, that was a unexpected consequence that my friend discovered
by mistake.

First you have to tell kernel not to use ide driver for your zip.
You can do it via
        append="hdd=ide-scsi"
in /etc/lilo.conf for your kernel image. According to CD-Writing-HOWTO
it works at least witn 2.0 kernels starting with 2.0.37 and with 2.2
starting with 2.2.10. Here is my lilo.conf were I assigned ide-scsi
to handle CD-ROM (/dev/hdc) as well:
============/etc/lilo.conf=================================
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
#default=linux
default=linux-ide-scsi

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda2

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux-ide-scsi
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda2
        append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

Then you have to call somehow "modprobe ide-scsi" during boot.
For that I just created the following /etc/rc.d/rc.modules:

===================/etc/rc.d/rc.modules======================
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/modprobe ide-scsi

RedHat 6.* is calling this file from /etc/rc.sysinit

Before this change I had for "dd if=/dev/zip of=/dev/null bs=65536"
running time on average 1m55s for 100 MB zip drive, and never better
then 1m50s, but after that it became 1m33s with best result 1m31s.
So it helped. Another advantage is that I can use readcd command to
try to read corrupted zip drive and not only scratched music CD.

And "eject /mnt/zip" does work now.

Regards, Igor

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eduard Paul)
Subject: Does XFree86 support the ATI Rage Mobile-M1 Chip
Date: 14 Jun 2000 09:57:42 GMT

Hi,

does any one knew for sure, if the ATI Rage Mobile-M1
Chip ist supported by XFree86.

The XFree Web-Site says that Rage Mobility (LM, LN, LR, LS)
Chips are supported by the XF86_Mach64 server, but i don't
know weather one of these is the M1 Chip.

Thanks,
        Eduard

 Eduard Paul                        EMail:
 Computer Science Department-IRB   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 University of Dortmund            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 D-44221 Dortmund                   http://www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/
 Germany                            software/edp/
 Tel.: 4700 (inside UniDO)