From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: Winmodem Rip Off Baskets
Date: 4 May 1999 13:20:37 -0500

On Tue, 04 May 1999 10:13:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Originally for uk.legal, but I thought it might interest you...
>
>Get a load of this for the ultimate in a Microsoft dominated world :
>
>I bought a Pace 56k Internal modem from a local computer store for 59.99.  It
>was an ISA modem and works perfectly with Windows, Linux and anything else you
>care to throw at it.  Having recommended this modem to a friend, I went in and
>purchased what I thought was the same one for him, again for 59.99.  Only this
>time, it turns out it was a PCI controllerless modem (i.e. you need to be
>running Windows in order for it to work (winmodem)).

So far, there is not a single PCI modem available which would run
under Linux. One has to avoid them as well as modems marked as soft-, HCF-,
and HSP- nonmodems.

You are certainly in your right if the modem was marked as ISA, but
turned out to be PCI (which is not likely).

If it was marked as PCI...
Well, certainly Windows is among the system requirements, as it is on
_most_ modems (including those of ISA modems which are _true_ modems)...

What you can try is to find in the specifications of that particular
modem that it is controllerless or whatever, _without_ the firmware (also,
look up the specifications of the chipset), and then to demonstrate that
this _was not_ mentioned on the box. If you are persistent, this could lead
to a refund. Although almost all PCI modems are software-based, the
manufacturers still have to write the description of what's in the box...

These guys do not bother much to write all this stuff on boxes
with ISA modems, and that's why people end up with winmodems so often.

>Remember, next time you buy an internal modem, specify that it's for Linux and
>you'll get one that operates properly.  Cos Windows won't be here forever.

You would not have much luck with this until the next year, I guess.

a.

PS. parity -> logic parity, ECC-compatible.. But there is also this good
old "no parity".

modem -> software modem, winmodem, host-controlled modem...
Should not there be "no modem" on the box?

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

------------------------------

From: A Unique Name
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.hp.hardware
Subject: Re: HP support sucks (was: funniest printer-problem)
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 20:04:34 GMT

Sounds better than no support for old products to me.

On Tue, 04 May 1999 19:20:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (peter)
wrote:

>I called HP-support today (I found the number on their website - section
>"support for products with no warranty left").
>friendly voice "how can I help you" I tell the story "..." "ok, I put you
>trough" This went four times then I was forced to call a different number
>and then I ran into an electronic "press 4 to ..." system and after my
>telephoncounter showed up 40ATS (~3US$) I was told that requests for
>products with no warranty left costs ATS300 (~US$23) per call ! free
>support can only be found on their webpage ...
>

>peter
>
>-----------------
>pilsl@
>ANTISPAM
>goldfisch.atat.at

patrickatcyberhighwaydotnet

admin@loopback  $LOGIN@localhost  $LOGNAME@localhost  $USER@localhost
$USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Richard Torkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0... the good, the bad, and the ugly
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 19:17:12 +0200

Jeff Volckaert wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I just did two Redhat 6.0 installs over the weekend and thought some people
> might like to read some comments.  Overall I'm really impressed.  Every
> Redhat version since 3.0.3 has raised my expectations of Linux and not let
> me down.
>
> The good:

*a lot snipped*

> The Bad:
>
> I've had a few hard locks.  Ouch!  Some of my first with Linux (which i've
> been using for over 3 years).  Not a good trend to start.
>
> LICQ segment faults now... could be LICQ though.
>
> Still haven't got XawTV working with my Hauppauge tuner card.  I'll have to
> mess around with hand loading modules like I had to do with Redhat
> 5.2+2.2.5.  Just hoping I wouldn't have to.
>
> The Ugly:
>
> The Ultima Online client will not run under Gnome but will under WindowMaker
> (without sound though, but that's Origin's prob).
>
> DHCP will not work with my Cable modem.  My workstations DHCP fine to my
> Linux DHCP server though.  This one really hurts and prevents me from
> upgrading my firewall until it's fixed.  I'm told that Redhat now uses a
> program called pump instead of dhcpcd.

1.      You have to recompile to get licq working again.
        I think it has something to do with the new libs

2.      Yes RH6 uses pump.
man pump
*snip*
pump is a daemon that manages network interfaces that are controlled by
either the DHCP or BOOTP protocol
*snip*

3.      I haven't experienced any hard locks.
        Could be something specific with your hardware though..

Richard
--
http://milkyway.thn.htu.se/~ds98rito/
Hoping the problem magically goes away

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: RealTek RTL 8029 PCI Ethernet Driver
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 17:33:54 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Westcott) writes:

>Alex Kaufman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: Just use the ne2k driver, and be sure to disable PnP Bios
>:
>: > Why should he ? This is (as can be easily verified by a quick
>: > search on DejaNews on that topic) a card that has been supported for
>: > at least 2 years now, with either the standard ISA NE2000 od the newer
>: > ne2k-pci driver.

>*snip* Speaking of PnP, if you're running Win95 (or some OS where the card
>currently works), be sure to write down the exact address and irq the card
>is using.

The address for PCI cards is set by the BIOS. This is not a value the
user can change later.

>I have a NE2000 compatible PCI card with the Realtek 8029
>chipset, and it will work only at a specific address, regardless of the
>machine it is in, regardless of whether PnP is active. :> (Thank god for
>/proc/pci)

[...]

The PNP stuff has nothing to do with PCI cards as far as I/O addresses
are concerned. The only relevance of the BIOS' PNP/PCI menue is the list
of IRQs available for the cards.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Alpine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: isdn modem
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 16:10:11 -0400

any suggestions on a isdn modem
running red hat 5.2
on a pent pro
128k dual channel with voice

------------------------------

From: Patrick Rea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fibre Channel for Linux?
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 17:11:51 -0400

Has anyone seen a driver for the Atto Express PCI Fibre Channel Card?

I am looking to do massive bandwidth file serving around our office and
100BaseT just isn't fast enough for Uncompressed video files
(20-25MB/s). We cuurently have all of our NT systems running through an
8 port FC switch but I need to get my RedHat 5.0 box onto that as well.

Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: Ron Flory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: RH 5.2&6.0:  mouse conflicts with network card (?!!)
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 13:03:25 -0500

Eugene Smith wrote:

> >Do you know what IRQ that your NE2000 compatible network card is set
> >to?  If is set on 12 try changing it to another interupt.  Use 10 if
> >it's available.
> It is set on 10

 try passing the port/irq values to the modules so autoprobing doesn't
(possibly) confuse the cards.

ron

------------------------------

From: Eric Fierke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Win98?
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 14:03:35 -0400

Absolutely.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "isaac1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem is slow in console and x (kde)
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 18:54:10 GMT

thankyou very much.

isaac

------------------------------

From: Leif Erlingsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PS/2 - ACER 1120SX - "gpm -t ps2" keyboard error (until killed from network)
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 00:06:14 +0200

PS/2 - ACER 1120SX - "gpm -t ps2" keyboard error (until killed
from network) results *when mouse is moved* -- not sooner --.

Both mouse and keyboard are connected using small circular
connectors with 6 pins each, on a separate circuit-board.

Kernel config last tried is:

CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y

all other mice configs "is not set".

Standard S.u.S.E. kernel 2.0.36 does not work.  My own compile
of same kernel as above does not work.  But kernel 2.2.0-pre7
*DID WORK*.  (Though plip1-network didn't so could not use it.)

dmesg says:
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Serial driver version 4.13p with no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16450
ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.

Before running gpm -t ps2:

isaiah:/proc # cat interrupts
 0:   16783750   timer
 1:         23   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 7:       2076   plip1
 8:          0 + rtc
13:          0   math error
14:     195336 + ide0
isaiah:/proc #

After running gpm -t ps2:

isaiah:/proc # cat interrupts
 0:   16788821   timer
 1:         23   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 7:       2089   plip1
 8:          0 + rtc
12:          0   PS/2 Mouse
13:          0   math error
14:     195648 + ide0
isaiah:/proc #

Have been unable to determine why "keyboard error" (see complete
dmesg below) results *when mouse is moved* -- not sooner --.

Have not been able to find any other unit that uses interrupt
12.  Will try to diff ps2 mouse support in kernel 2.0.36 and
2.2.0-pre7 next.

Any other ideas/hints ?

Thanks!
Leif Erlingsson,  Katrinebergsvagen 70, 146 50  Tullinge, Sweden
TEL +46 8 778-5038, MOB +46 709 14-0631, URL http://www.lege.com

COMPLETE dmesg appended:

Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
pci_init: no BIOS32 detected
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 2.91 BogoMIPS
Memory: 3696k/5376k available (736k kernel code, 384k reserved, 560k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
Linux version 2.0.36 (leif@ruth) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Fri Apr 23 21:15:34 MEST 1999
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Serial driver version 4.13p with no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16450
ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
loop: registered device at major 7
hda: OR0300, 100MB w/16kB Cache, CHS=776/8/33
ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is an 8272A
md driver 0.36.3 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
linear personality registered
raid0 personality registered
3c59x.c:v0.99H 11/17/98 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
Adding Swap: 5936k swap-space (priority -1)
NET3 PLIP version 2.2 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
plip1: Parallel port at 0x378, using assigned IRQ 7.
plip1: receive timeout(2,87)
plip1: receive timeout(2,87)
plip1: receive timeout(2,87)
plip1: receive timeout(2,87)
plip1: receive timeout(2,87)
plip1: receive timeout(2,87)
keyboard error
plip1: receive timeout(2,87)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux Hardware Database
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 18:47:11 GMT

The Linux Hardware Database at http://www.comphardware.com is now available.
This database is a comprehensive list of hardware, compiled by me and you (the
web audience), that lets others in the Linux community about specific hardware
ad its current status with Linux. Along with each piece of hardware listed is
whether or not it works under Linux, how to get it working under Linux or why
it doesn't work under Linux.

I hope this will help a lot of people decide what hardware to buy and what
hardware not to buy, as well as urging certain drivers or work arounds to be
written.

There are several ways that you can contribute to and use this database.

1. View Records Only: Are you looking for a specific piece of hardware and you
want to know if it works? Here's the place.

2. Get a UserID and Password: This will allow you to not only view the
database but also contribute to it. Being a member will allow you to add,
modify and delete your own records.

3. Log in: If you already have an account you can log in and be able to access
all records as with the View Records Only above and you will be able to add,
modify, and delete your own records.

I appreciate all the support and please use this database and let all your
friends know about it so that it may grow and incompass all known hardware. If
you have any problems or suggestions please let me know at:

Kris Kersey

From: Mono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATAPI zip
Date: 04 May 1999 14:09:33 +0000

Does anyone know of a decent utility for working with an ATAPI Zip drive?  The ones
I've found all involve SCSI, and I was trying to find a way out of SCSI emulation.  My
machine doesn't take well to it.

-Mono

--
ShatterSkull Entertainment
"It's like an embolism...with candy."

----

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www-scf.usc.edu/~wcaskey/index.html

------------------------------

From: "David B. Hostetler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and BH6
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 17:02:06 -0500

Corn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with the BH6 motherboard I just bought. I'm trying to
> install Linux (Debian 2.0) and the machine locks up when it loads the
> kernel. I have another machine with almost the same configuration
> (BH6+Celeron) and it works just fine. I also have friends running Linux
> on BH6 MBs flawlessly. The BIOS on my BH6 card is JJ (from 08 Feb 99). I
> went back to the store explaining my problem, and they told me that they
> won't do anything because (sic) Win98 works with the card :(
>
> Has anyone else found this problem? Is there something I can do to use
> Linux on my new machine? Or just continue using my 486DX2/66 that works
> very well?
>
> --- Corn ---

I would suggest telling EVERYBODY you know about the attitude of the store
that you bought the board from. I know a couple of people that are running
the Abit BH6 with the 300a Celeron (overclocked like all get out I might
add) and they are using Red Hat Linux 5.2 on their machines with the 2.2.x
Kernel. They are working fabulously.

------------------------------

From: Michael James Weiskopff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3COM 3CCFE54TB PCMCIA 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet card
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 18:17:23 -0400

Sorry, it didn't work.  I now have even worse problems, after I reinstalled
it, again, on bootup it gives me all sorts of module errors, and some other
ones, and now my modem PCMCIA card won't work.  Probably my error, so don't
worry about it.

Mike Weiskopff

------------------------------

From: "David B. Hostetler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NE2000 ISA pnp NIC.
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 17:07:54 -0500

I am having trouble configuring my NIC. It is an ISA NE2000 compatible
unit. I have a dual boot system and am trying to insert the IRQ and
interrupt that the Winblows device manager shows for the NIC. I do not
have the original software or drivers for this NIC (freebie from a
friend) so using the dos driver to find the IRQ and such will not work.
(I have no idea who made the card). When I put the data in for the card
all I get on boot up and shutdown is no NE*000 found at 0x0f (not the
values I input) and I also get ETH0 unkown device errors.
Any usable help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Dave.

------------------------------

From: "Oliver J. Haas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Deskjet 500c
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 21:32:42 +0200

Hi all,

I have installed Linux (SuSE 6.1) one week ago. I really enjoy working with
this OS but I´ve got massive issues too:
I own a HP Deskjet 500C which was installed in my Windows-System on
parallel-port
Yesterday I tired to setup my printer but I wasn´t successful.
I don´t know what the correct adress is!

I tried some different options and tried to print with the order:
lpr text1
the printer only printed waste
next-time i tried:
lpr -p text1
but either no reaction or just some signs
what should I do now?

Looking forward to an anwser

Sincirely yours
Oliver

------------------------------

From: "Oliver J. Haas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Drucker läuft nicht
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 21:26:55 +0200

Hi Leute,

ich bin ein Linux - Neuling und habe mir jetzt die SuSE 6.1 Vers. geholt.
Alles läuft bis jetzt ganz hervorragend, bloß mein Drucker der will nicht so
wie ich das will:

Ich besitzte einen HP Deskjet 500c der ja auch bei YaST angegeben ist.
Stelle ich diesen auf meinem Parallel Port (mit LPD 0) ein und möchte
Drucken (lpr text1) kommt nur Quatsch raus - lauter Sonderzeichen und so ein
Zeug. Unter Windows war mein Durcker auf LPD 1 eingestellt, aber bei dieser
Einstellung zeigt mein Drucker unter Linux überhaupt keine Reaktion. Über
ein Hilfe würde ich mich sehr freuen.

Vielen Dank
Oliver J. Haas

From: Lane Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Exabyte 8200 issues
Date: 04 May 1999 15:26:28 -0500

Trevor Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I've got a linux server and have recently aquired an old Exabyte 8200 drive,
> a "MaynStream 2200HS" and a number of used 112m 8mm tapes.  I've been trying
> to get this tape drive running under linux with limited success.  I can
> access the tape drive fine, but I occasionally get "Hardware Errors".  These
> errors appear to show up more quickly on some of the tapes than others, so
> I'm trying to determine if its a problem with the drive, or with old tapes.
>
> Sometimes, the drive just seems so fed up with the tapes, it just spits them
> out after I attempt to insert them, and then I have to power cycle the drive
> to get it to work... Does the drive need to cool down a bit? :)  SCSI
> devices probably don't like their power being cycled.  Should I reboot my
> server as well?

These symptoms, especially the part about it ejecting the tape
immediately ater you insert it, sound to me like either bad tapes or a
dirty drive.  If you don't already have one, get yourself an Exabyte
cleaning cartridge and run the drive through a cleaning cycle.  Then
try writing to a new tape.  If the problem goes away, you know that
the drive is working properly.  Once you have some confidence in the
drive, you can evaluate the used tapes one by one.

BTW, under normal usage, you should clean the drive after every 30GB
of data transferred.

Good luck!

Lane Robert