Linux-Hardware Digest #159, Volume #13           Fri, 30 Jun 00 16:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: OfficeJet 710 (Andrey Vlasov)
  Re: ALS 100+ (Edward Lee)
  Re: Voodoo3 2000 PCI and RedHat 5.2 (Dan Lapine)
  Help recording audio with Sound Blaster Pro (David A Hansen)
  Re: GUS PnP & Linux ("Remy Moulin")
  Re: Where can found GBit Ethernet Card and device driver? (Dan Lapine)
  Re: Abit KA7 and mouse problems (Dan Lapine)
  MAXTOR 27G IDE, how to partition? (Jim White)
  Re: driver for yamaha-cd-writer (Dan Lapine)
  Re: Looking for PCI 66/64 mainboard w/Linux compatibility (Gabor 'Morc' Kormos)
  Dell poweredge 2450, adaptec 7899 scsi controller, setting up raid ("maelmord")
  Re: barcode scanners, please reaply! (Andrey Vlasov)
  Problems in instaling Red Hat  ("coder-a")
  Re: SANE scanner (Ferdinand Badescu)
  Re: Soundblaster - emu10k1 (Ferdinand Badescu)
  Re: Asus PC3W 810 chipset motherboard question (Andrey Vlasov)
  Two network cards on same subnet (Gabor 'Morc' Kormos)
  Adaptec 1542C - Unable to abort... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Mouse Systems Replacement? (Anthony Ewell)
  Re: barcode scanners, please reaply! (Scott Alfter)
  Linux box as a recording device (J'mes Pallack)
  Re: Dell poweredge 2450, adaptec 7899 scsi controller, setting up raid (Gabor 'Morc'
Kormos)
  Re: SANE scanner
  Re: CD-WRITER ATAPI (Duane)
  Re: Hard disk problems !! (Duane)
  Re: rc.sysinit: Loading sound module failed (Andrey Vlasov)

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OfficeJet 710
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:18:39 -0700

Hi there,

it will works partialy  according info from next page

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=142944

Andrey

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ALS 100+
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:15:18 -0700

Download the drivers at http://linnix.com

------------------------------

From: Dan Lapine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: 3dfx.products.voodoo3
Subject: Re: Voodoo3 2000 PCI and RedHat 5.2
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:29:31 -0500

Alex Meaden wrote:

> Hi,
> Does the 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 PCI graphics card work well in RedHat 6.2 - more
> specifically does it work well with the version of XFree86 that is supplied
> with RedHat 6.2?
> TIA,
> Alex.

Running a V3-3000 and a V3-1000G (Gateway pull) on both of my machines
with the stock RedHat x-windows drivers.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David A Hansen)
Subject: Help recording audio with Sound Blaster Pro
Date: 30 Jun 2000 18:21:38 GMT

Hello. I am running RedHat 5.2 with a SBPro 2 soundcard. I configured
the card using sndconfig. IO=0x220, IRQ=5 DMA=1. The sample sound worked
and I have no trouble playing .au files. I have not been able to record
any sounds though! I use aumix and set the MIC to record and high
volume. I try recording with 'dd bs=8k count=3 < /dev/audio > test.au'
but no sound is captured. I try using yarec-0.65 but this does not work
either. However, it gives me the message '22050Hz not supported by
driver, using 21739'  Can anyone help?

@#+%
Dave

From: "Remy Moulin" <r*NoSpam*[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GUS PnP & Linux
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:46:26 +0200

"Student" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi everybody

Hi !

> Does anyone have a Gravis Ultrasound PnP (with 8MB RAM) working
> under Linux? I tried to follow the GUS-Howto but it didn't seem to work...

Same case here (Gus PnP 8Mb)... I tried Alsa once (ALSA project
http://www.alsa-project.org )
... but I don't know how to decompress the archive .bz2 ! That driver is still in work.

> I know I should buy a better and newer soundcard, but I like my GUS very much
> and I don't want to throw it away...

Yeah... That card still rock... against low-end pci fm sound-cards !

------------------------------

From: Dan Lapine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where can found GBit Ethernet Card and device driver?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:39:27 -0500

DIO wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> My problem I have to setup Gbit network in office and I have to change all
> the server NIC from 10/100 Fast Ethernet with UTP port to 100/1000 Ethernet
> with UTP port. But I have no idea which vendor have this "UTP" 100/1000
> Ethernet Card and also the NIC driver for BSD. Can anyone so kind to help me
> to solve this problem?
>
> Thousand of thank you.
>
> DIO

Goto www.cisco.com to get some information on this.

Why is your office going to Gigabit Ethernet? Unless you have more than
10 machines on that net, each machine will have at least 100mb of
bandwidth to itself. Thus, you will saturate the 133mb PCI bus (2 way
traffic equal to 200mb) on each machine, not to mention the HDs if you
try to get full use of your network. It just sounds like overkill.

A point to point Gigabit link might be nice to move information from one
building to another, but you'd require specialized hardware at each end
to handle the load.

Perhaps you should look at your network's requirements again before
jumping into this expensive proposition.

From: Dan Lapine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit KA7 and mouse problems
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:40:24 -0500

Nathan Appleton wrote:

> There have been several reports of problems with the mouse and the KA7.  The
> Linux Hardware Database page for the KA7
> (http://www.linhardware.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?1149) contains several
> user comments and workarounds, it appears that a BIOS update solves most of
> the problems.  Please post your comments and ratings to LhD if you find that
> a BIOS flash does or doesn't work.
>
> "Neal Bambha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Yes, I have the same problems with Abit KA7 /Athlon 800/RH6.1
> > Previously I had an Abit BH6/Celeron 300, with no problems.
> > The X server also crashes (as much as Windows)
> >
> > Neal Bambha
> >

> > Dan Lapine wrote:
> >
> > > Anybody out there having problems with the mouse in XWindows? Fresh
> > > install of RH62 and the mouse goes flaky every so often, usually after a
> > > button press. By flaky, I mean the spurious menus pop up or the location
> > > changes.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Daniel LaPine
> > > Student at National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
> > > email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Upgrade the bios to the ry version. It fixed the problem quite nicely
for my ka-7

From: Jim White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MAXTOR 27G IDE, how to partition?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:41:12 -0400

I want use half of this MAXTOR 27G IDE for window, half for linux.
Is it possible?  the "MAX BLAST PLUS" from MAXTOR only work for window.

------------------------------

From: Dan Lapine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: driver for yamaha-cd-writer
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:45:05 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a driver for the Yamaha CRW6416SX-VK for using it under
> Linux.
>
> Does anybody have an idea?
>
> Alex
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Just burned my first linux cd's the other day. ;) I have the yamaha
4416s and RH62 supports its use in the default install. If you want a
nice front end, I can recommend gcombust as well.

http://nemo.sby.abo.fi/~jm/gcombust/

From: Gabor 'Morc' Kormos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for PCI 66/64 mainboard w/Linux compatibility
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:45:05 +0100

  Hi Dave,

  If you need a complete system look around the big makers (Dell, HP, Compaq,
IBM). They all offer Linux compatible systems (I "have" some Dell Poweredge
4400s and those have 66/64 PCI slots (hot-swap even, but Linux doesn't supports
it unfortunately).
  If motherboard, then I don't have a clue (try Intel).

  Morc.

------------------------------

From: "maelmord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dell poweredge 2450, adaptec 7899 scsi controller, setting up raid
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:53:14 -0400

Greetings,
I recently got a dell poweredge 2450 server, and am having an amusing time
trying to get any distros to recognize the raid controller and how to play
w/ it.

Box info:
    Dell poweredge 2450
    dual p3-733
    1 gb ram
    4 9g ultra3 scsi drives, will be using raid5
    poweredge raid 3/si controller
    adaptec aic-7899 scsi controller

Tried FreeBSD 4.0.. it found the controller, but couldnt figure out quite
what to do with it. Will try 5.0 later, in case a newer driver is avail.

Have tried using somewhat older distros of slackware/suse/debian that I had
lying around, and will try the most recent ones as soon as they finish
burning.

Has anyone setup one of these servers with linux/*bsd?

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: barcode scanners, please reaply!
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:52:05 -0700

Hi there,

here a short list of what I was able to find

http://www.adams1.com/pub/russadam/unix.html
http://www.cs-net.gr/linbar/
http://www.readerware.com/rwLinux.html
http://www.riversedge.com/

http://www.barcode-barcode.com/software.html
http://www.barcodestore.com/index.html

Andrey

------------------------------

From: "coder-a" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems in instaling Red Hat
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:58:21 GMT

I want to install Red Hat but I have a problem. I have 16 GB disk space. For
linux I left 2 GB clear and when I am choosing Wokstation Instalation Linux
tells me that I heve not enought free memory space. What's the matter?
Please help me.
My e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks a lot

------------------------------

From: Ferdinand Badescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SANE scanner
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:45:31 -0700

==============8C50B0B0921D03F25C1F82E5

Bruno Gadaleta wrote:

> hi i have a lot of pb with the use of sane.
> I'm using mandrake 7.0 and it installed sane.
> I have a scanner : hp scanjet 4p.
> When i type 'scanimage -d hp:/dev/sga ' it tells me that there is an error with
> the argument. I tried 'find-scanner -v' but it fails openning all the sgx.
> i tried 'insmod' with the module sym53c..... and so on but it tells me that the
> perpheric is busy..
> Has anyone the same problem than me ?
> What can I do ?

I had the same problem before. By default, scanimage and xscanimage works only if
you are the root user. Therefore, you either need to "su" in a terminal window to
become root, or setuid root on these programs. I don't know if you can install
sane as a regular user on your home directory, never tried this. IMHO, you don't
need to specify arguments to make it work (at least, I don't!).

Ferdi.

--
Ferdinand Badescu
-Development technician-

==============8C50B0B0921D03F25C1F82E5

Bruno Gadaleta wrote:
error with
sgx.
me that the
I had the same problem before. By default, scanimage and xscanimage works
only if you are the root user. Therefore, you either need to "su" in a
terminal window to become root, or setuid root on these programs. I don't
know if you can install sane as a regular user on your home directory,
never tried this. IMHO, you don't need to specify arguments to make it
work (at least, I don't!).
<pre>--&nbsp;
Ferdinand Badescu
-Development technician-
-Lecturer-
Dept. of Physics &amp; Astronomy
U.C. Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697
Tel: 949-824-8094
Fax: 949-824-2174
email:&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: Ferdinand Badescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster - emu10k1
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:53:43 -0700

==============2D29AD9799A5A078275919A3

Chang Lin wrote:

> Looks like you are using the driver bundled with SuSE6.4. That one
> is crappy old enough and buggy. Goto http://opensource.creative.com
> to download the latest driver source and compile/install by yourself.
> It works like a charm in my linux box.(also using SuSE6.4:-)
>
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Eoin wrote:
>
> > I`m trying to get a Soundblaster Live Card going under SuSE 6.4 without much
> > luck. I have the emu10k module running fine, when I "cat /dev/sndstat" I get
> > the usual list of information except the Config Line (irq number etc..) is
> > in brackets. The docs say that this is because the card has been configured
> > but not detected, they don`t go into anymore detail than that! Does anyone
> > have any ideas for a music starved SuSE user?

Likewise, no problems with my RedHat 6.2 box and SB Live!, with the driver
downloaded from creative's web site. Just a word of caution for  Logitech WingMan
Extreme Digital 3D joystick users: it  sets the gameport I/O address to 0xb800,
rather than 0x200 (standard gameport I/O), and the joystick is not recognized.

Ferdi.

--
Ferdinand Badescu
-Development technician-

==============2D29AD9799A5A078275919A3

Chang Lin wrote:
SuSE6.4. That one
href="http://opensource.creative.com">http://opensource.creative.com</a>
much
I get
etc..) is
configured
anyone
Likewise, no problems with my RedHat 6.2 box and SB Live!, with the driver
downloaded from creative's web site. Just a word of caution for&nbsp; Logitech
WingMan Extreme Digital 3D joystick users: it&nbsp; sets the gameport I/O

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus PC3W 810 chipset motherboard question
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:05:21 -0700

Hi,

you should buy UPS and configure Linux to talk with it. Othervise what
can happen if power will cut off at moment when system mount or check
disk - there is no any warranty that you will not lost all data on HDD.
Keep setting reboot on power on as most UPS do not pass voltage till
battary charged almost completly and computer will shatdown when UPS
battary exausted. You data will safe.

Andrey

------------------------------

From: Gabor 'Morc' Kormos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Two network cards on same subnet
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:09:32 +0100

  Hi Guys,

  System specs:
        RH 6.1/6.2, Intel Pro 100+ cards (mb intergated/add-on card), kernel 2.2.14 (I
will upgrade to 2.2.16) w/multicasting enabled

  Situation I:

  I have some servers with two network cards in each to have some redundancy and
if I set up both cards to be on the same subnet (192.168.0.0) and same
address/different address then if I unplug the cable from the first card (eth0)
that box stops reaching the network until I plug is back.

  Question I:

  Is there any solution to make the two cards work in parallel?

  Situation II:

  Same setup, as above, but I down the eth0 and only use eth1 to access the
network. I want to use IP multicast on them/this. I set up the 224.0.0.0 network
to be routed though the eth1 (route add -net 224.0.0.0/4 dev eth1) then ping
224.0.0.1 does not give back any replies. If I up the eth0 (nothing else is
changed!) everything work fine and all the machines replies (NOTE: the network
is working OK with eth1 only, and I can ping any normal IP address on the net or
connect to any machine!!!!).

  Question II:

  Is this a bug/feature in Linux kernel?

  I'm not a newbie, but I'm on a tight schedule and I don't have too much time
to read all the docs again (I've dealt Linux before, but for the past 4 years I
dealt with Win9x mainly). So if the answers are in one or more of the
FAQs/HowTos/Guides shipping with standard distros or found on the net then just
reply RTFM and the manuals containing the answers (ULRs too).

  TIA, Morc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Adaptec 1542C - Unable to abort...
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:02:37 GMT

OK.  I've read tons of messages in this newsgroup about people having
problems with the aha1542 driver.  Is the adapter a problem or is the
driver a problem?  Should people just throw these cards out?

I have a single SCSI drive attached to the cable.  The SCSI adapter
itself is terminated @ the centronix port, the dip is Enabled for
hardware termination, and the drive is configured as Target 0.

There are two pin blocks having to do with termination power.  There
titles are:

  a) Drive Supplies Bus and
  b) Drive Supplies own and finally
  c) Bus Supplies Drive

Which one of these is the one I should select???  I would prefer if a
jumper just said Terminator on/off, but that's not one of my choices,
and selecting where the power comes from or where it goes doesn't mean
anything to me and there was little explanation on Seagate's site.

As you can probably guess, the errors I get when the modules tries to
load are:

aha1542.c: Unable to abort command for target 0
aha1542.c: Trying device reset for target 0
aha1542.c: Unable to abort command for target 0

It finally finds the information its looking for, but it finds it again
and again for devices 1-6.

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:11:51 -0700
From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mouse Systems Replacement?

Hi,

   Does anyone know of a three button optical mouse
that is Linux friendly?   (KYE-Genuis purchased and
closed Mouse Systems.)

   Many thanks,
--Tony
aewell @ gbis . com (remove the spaces)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:25:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Samy Atoui  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm currently writung a cash register program based on MySQL and
>a remote interface. My customer insists on entering his merchandise
>with a barcode scanner.
>Does anyone have a idea if barcode-scanner software exists for Linux.

Since most scanners (at least the ones I've used) pretend to be keyboards,
no special support is needed to use one under Linux.  As far as your
software is concerned, all input is from the keyboard.  All you need to do
is make sure the scanner is configured to emulate a PC/AT keyboard...most of
'em come with setup barcodes that you scan to configure it however you
want.)

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (remove Voyager's hull number for email address)
 \_^_/  http://salfter.dyndns.org

------------------------------

From: J'mes Pallack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux box as a recording device
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:24:15 -0400

Anyone seen docs/software/hardware for setting up a Linux computer as
a HD VCR type system.

Then be able to watch the recorded shows via TV out and/or via the
TCP/IP in house network.

J'mes

  O /
---X----------------------------------------
  O \
J'mes Pallack
Lost on the West Coast of New England

------------------------------

From: Gabor 'Morc' Kormos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:28:49 +0100

  Hi maelmord,

  I "have" some 2450s too, and although they were factory preinstalled with
RH6.1/RH6.2 they work fine. I would advise you to get a RH6.2. And by the way on
which do you want to have the boot drive, 'cos all "my" servers boot from RAID1
from a PERC 2/DC and not from the mb integrated 7899, but I think it wouldn't
make any difference (maybe you have to choose expert mode at the beginning of
installation and load the proper drivers).

  Regards, Morc.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:36:57 GMT

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:45:31 -0700, Ferdinand Badescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[deletia]
>Bruno Gadaleta wrote:
>
>> hi i have a lot of pb with the use of sane.
>> I'm using mandrake 7.0 and it installed sane.
>> I have a scanner : hp scanjet 4p.
>> When i type 'scanimage -d hp:/dev/sga ' it tells me that there is an error with
>> the argument. I tried 'find-scanner -v' but it fails openning all the sgx.
>> i tried 'insmod' with the module sym53c..... and so on but it tells me that the
>> perpheric is busy..
>> Has anyone the same problem than me ?
>> What can I do ?

        You just need to give the right permissions to the generic
        scsi devices...

>I had the same problem before. By default, scanimage and xscanimage works only if
>you are the root user. Therefore, you either need to "su" in a terminal window to
>become root, or setuid root on these programs. I don't know if you can install
>sane as a regular user on your home directory, never tried this. IMHO, you don't
>need to specify arguments to make it work (at least, I don't!).
[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-WRITER ATAPI
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:02:32 -0700

Michael Hofmann wrote:

> Baumann Reto wrote:
> >
> > I installed a ATAPI CD-WRITER under Linux (Suse 1.4). Everything works
> > fine... I can burn my cd's. But I can't mount the drive to read normal cd's.
>
> Change your fstab entry to mount it as a SCSI device, e.g. /dev/scd0.
> There you go.
>
> Good luck,
> Michael

Either that or change the symbolic link, /dev/cdrom, to point to
/dev/scd0. This will help any other program that might rely on
/dev/cdrom.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk problems !!
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:00:10 -0700

Helgi Petursson wrote:

> John Smith wrote:
> >
> > Stop kicking your machine too hard and the failures should abate
> >
> > Six disks,  what's up with that?
> >
> > > This is the 6th disk in my machine, all previous disks have failed and
> > > all exhibit the same symtoms, on most seeks there is a head crashing
> > > sound. All test that I have run on it indicate the disk is fine, but I
> > > "know" this disk will fail like the others.
>
> IFF only that was the case, this is an immobile laptop, permanently on
> my desk and I dont' kick it, yet.
> I am sure that the dogs don't bark at it too loudly either !!
>
> helgi..

I have seen a few disk failures myself, but spread over a dozen or so
machines! If you are failing this many on one machine, I would suspect a
heat problem. After running your laptop for awhile, shut it down, open
it up, and feel how hot the disk is. If it is just lukewarm, it should
be okay. But if more then that, you may need to figure out some way to
keep it cooler (although on a laptop, not many options come to mind).

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rc.sysinit: Loading sound module failed
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:52:59 -0700

Hi,

did you check that you have BIOS option "Plug and Play OS" turned off?
If not do so  and try again.

Andrey