From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Direct Modem-to-Modem Connection
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:50:39 +0100

Juha Laiho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Youngert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>>Juha Laiho wrote:
>>Are you saying if I need to connect two computers using a PPP connection
>>through their modems, then it is doable as what you mentioned on the above

Well, how else does he think computers are NORMALLY conected across
phone lines? Mind you, if you want to do this without an exchange in
the way, you will have to add a 5V bias to the line. In series.

But what's the point? Just connect with a crossover cable if you're
that close.

> more; anyway, as I recall it was, you should be able to just connect two
> modems from their "LINE" interfaces, and send those above commands to get

Not quite. You need the bias voltage. Surely this is all covered in the
Serial-HOWTO?

Peter

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Grecord alternative?
Date: 11 Jan 2001 01:43:15 +0100

Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
>
> However, if it only checks levels after recording has already completed, then
> it's probably not really what I'm looking for. I'd like a recorder that shows
> real-time input level such as I get with the Creative Recorder that runs on
> Windoze.

no no, there is some misunderstanding --- gramofile *does* show
realtime display (update every half second or something like that) of
the input levels. Afterwards it gives an *aditional* detailed
statistics.

It's a quite basic textscreen interface, fut absolutely functional.

K.-H.

--
=============================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark Optra312 and Z52 in Mandrake 7.2??
Date: 11 Jan 2001 01:39:48 +0100

fahlis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I will soon get 2 new printers,the ones mentioned in the subjectline.
> I see that Lexmark has Linux drivers for them both,I was wondering if
> anybody have tried those drivers?Any problems.

OptraE312 has postscript built in. Thats perfect, why an aditional
driver? What's that one for? ps to PCL?

And you can run the E312 with some Laserjet PCL drivers (ljet4d[ith]
for example) as well.

K.-H.

--
=============================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Beta testers wanted for Initio 9x00UW driver
Date: 11 Jan 2001 01:04:00 GMT

All

I'm looking for beta testers for a patched initio.o driver that I
have.

I've added support to the ini9100u/i91uscsi Initio INI9x00/UW device
driver for the /proc file system.

I've also fixed a couple of bugs in the driver - the one that might be
of most consequence is that the driver uses the BIOS settings for the
wrong device for all devices except SCSI ID 0! It uses the setting for
the device with double the SCSI ID of the one you really have...

Output from the proc fs support looks vaguely like this:

trevor@trevor4:~ >cat /proc/scsi/ini9100u/0
Host 0: Base Addr.  = 0xE400             IRQ = 14
        BIOS Addr.  = 0xC8000        SCSI ID = 7
        Max Targets = 16      Number of SCBs = 128
        Total Reads = 17204     Total Writes = 3065
        BIOS Config: Bus Reset = Y Parity = Y Autoterm = Y Power Mgt =

Device(0:0:0) SEAGATE ST34371W 0360, synch at 40.0MB/s (Wide)
        Disconnect enabled  DOS >1GB Support  Tagged queueing (255 allowed)
        Reads=16763 Writes=3000
   < 2KB+    2KB+    4KB+    8KB+   16KB+   32KB+   64KB+  128KB+
   14758       0       0     512     864     575      34      20
Reads
    1745       0       0       1     827     184     131     112
Writes

Device(0:1:0) NEC CD-ROM 1.05, synch at 10.0MB/s
        Wide negotiation disabled  Disconnect enabled
        Reads=3 Writes=0
   < 2KB+    2KB+    4KB+    8KB+   16KB+   32KB+   64KB+  128KB+
       2       0       0       0       0       0       0       1
Reads
       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0
Writes

Device(0:3:0) IBM DGVS09U 0080, synch at 40.0MB/s (Wide)
        Disconnect enabled  DOS >1GB Support  Tagged queueing (255 allowed)
        Reads=438 Writes=65
   < 2KB+    2KB+    4KB+    8KB+   16KB+   32KB+   64KB+  128KB+
     422       0       0       6       3       1       5       1
Reads
      59       0       0       0       6       0       0       0
Writes

What's been tested:
Works on SuSe Linux 6.3 with kernel 2.2.13
Works on same system with kernel 2.2.18 from kernel.org
Works on same system with kernel 2.4.0

hdparm -t /dev/sdb shows exactly the same throughput using the new
driver as the old one. So does "bonnie -s 1000"

All above work with the driver compiled into the kernel with an IOI
INI9100UW "I/O Rocket" ultrawide adapter based on the INI950 chipset.

What's not been tested:
Any other kernel than above.
Not run as a module since I need support in order to boot...
Any other Initio chipset based adapter.

What I need:
people with Initio chipset based cards that can test this when built
as a module and as part of the kernel. Mail me for the location of the
patched source.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (hongsmelt)
Subject: Compaq MV5000 monitor
Date: 5 Jan 2001 13:33:57 GMT

anyone that know how to setup this monitor to work with Redhat Linux 7
please tell me how to do that, thanks.
hongsmelt@

------------------------------

From: Luckydaze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link DE-220PCT NIC Problems
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:21:09 -0500

Are you talking about the bios on the card itself or on the computer?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: I need an advice for Zip USB,
Date: 11 Jan 2001 01:42:47 GMT

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:14:08 GMT, ME staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>I am trying to mount (dev/sda4) a Zip 100 USB drive under Kernel 2.2.16
>(Suse 7.0). The modules usbcore, usb-ohci and usb-storage are loaded,
>but yet the system fails to communicate with the Zip drive. While
>booting up the system it finds the Zip drive. The error message is:
>sda: Read Capacity failed
>sda: status=0, message=00, host=7, driver=00
>sda: sense not available
>sda: block size assumed 512 bytes, disk size 1 GB
>       sda: scsidisk I/O Error: dev08:00, sector 0
>              unable to read partition table.
>
>My USB Sony CD/RW drive is also seen but can not be mounted. I think it
>is a SCSI issue, which I have tried to remedy with the insertation of
>module sg, but that did not help either. Perhaps somebody has an advice
>for me, any input is appreciated.

Is this the stock SuSE 7.0 2.2.16 kernel?  They shipped a kernel with a
bunch of USB stuff backported in, but things have improved since then,
especially wrt USB support.  http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ says the
USB-Zip-250 should work just fine with a recent kernel release (2.2.18
or 2.4.0) and the appropriate USB stuff compiled.  My advice is to grab
one of those kernels and try it out.

BTW, don't even try to patch the SuSE kernel with the official kernel
patch-2.2.xx.gz files.  It won't work, as SuSE engineers have hacked on
their distro kernel, getting it out of sync with the official one.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "DjM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MS Outlook Express
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:31:40 GMT

Teckies,

I have a lot of messages to respond to concerning Linux questions/answers.
However, MS Outlook Express is only letting me view messages from Jan 1,
2001.  FYI: I only use Outlook Express for newsgroups and am not at all savy
with it.  I have browsed the setoptions many times and can't figure out how
to display messages from last year (Dec 2000).  Ergo, I can't get to the
Linux questions that I left.  I would really like to check them out and
thank people for their responses, share info, etc...  However, I do not know
how to get this tool to enable their display.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks,
DjM

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW
Date: 10 Jan 2001 21:51:01 -0600

Andy Piper a écrit :

> Cliff Liu wrote:
> > I've got a Dell workstation (precision 420) running redhat linux 6.2.  It came
> > with an internal CD-RW.  Does anyone know how do I write data to the CD-RW (I
> > assume redhat includes the driver for it, but which tool should I use)?
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
>
> First of all, read the CD-Writing HOWTO. It tells you all you really
> need to know.
>
> The tools you need are cdrecord (which includes mkisofs and other
> goodies), and maybe some GUI tool like XCDRoast or gtoaster.

gtoaster sucks big time.
There is gcombust which is pretty good for sound, I try to keep the latest packages of
this one
and xcdroast on my web site.

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: need NAT help please................
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 04:44:48 GMT

I am trying to add the following NAT to my redhat 6.2 linux server:
ip route add nat 10.1.20.207 via 10.1.50.207

I get the following error:
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here? All I want to do
is to be able to access a server (ip 10.1.50.207) which is behind the
linux box using the ip 10.1.20.207 from the outside of the linux box.
thanks.

PS: I have ip fowarding enabled.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Paul Chiha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Pseudo Driver to hook onto input drivers
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:49:37 +1100

A problem I need some help in:

I need to create some sort of way of reading various hardware inputs (which I
already have drivers for), and also simulating those same inputs through the
drivers to whomever has them opened.
So basically, I need to create something which sits on the driver->application
communication line, monitoring the information being passed, and also passing
it's own information.
I intend for this mechanism to not interfere with the current drivers (i.e. no
software change neccessary for these drivers).
If anyone can point me in a good direction, it'll be much appreciated
(email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]).

Thanks,
Paul

------------------------------

From: bjrosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DLink 530TX, what chip does it use?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 04:57:16 GMT

I've just built a 2.4 kernel, it recognizes my 3Com card but not my
DLink 530TX ethernet card. When ran the configurator the 3Com's card's
driver was obvious, but the Dlink's driver isn't. What chip does the
Dlink use?

Thanks,

Josh

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Cubic Meter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PLEASE HELP!
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:20:06 -0500

Hello everyone. I am new to Linux, and I am having trouble setting up my
scanner. It is a Mustek 600 EP Plus parallel port scanner. I am running
Mandrake 7.2. I installed the SANE 1.0.3 software from my distro CDs, but
still nothing. Is there anything special I have to do? I searched the web,
but everything on it seems to be in command line language, which I haven't
mastered. If someone could dumb it down, or start at a simpler stage and
step me through it I would appreciate it. BTW, my parallel port is set
"Centronics", which I assume is some kind of "smart" auto configuring port.

------------------------------

From: "DjM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recomendations for a preinstalled machine
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 05:39:02 GMT

Joe,

I had worked at SGI for a bit.  That obviously implies that I had an SGI
machine (O2) as do all the employees.  They had an awful problem with
replacement parts (could not supply)as I remember.  In addition, their stock
price hit rock bottom (and has never realy recovered) and people were being
let go.  I agree that their products were some of the best that I've worked
with, however, will they be around in the long run?  They apear to be over
challenged at running a business.  They have always been the "darlings" of
Silicon Valley, but look at how far Sun has passed them by.

...great ideas, engineers, and equiptment, but for how long?

I hope this helps.

DjM

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "J.Pedro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Promise Ultra ATA100 controller supported?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:31:47 +0000

alex wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have Promise Ultra100 standalone (not onboard) ATA100 controller with
> 45 GB IBM DTLA hard disk.
>
> Goal: want to make linux install and boot from that configuration.
>
> Question: if it's supported at all and if yes how to install linux with
> it? I tried RH7.0 - install script assumed there's no hdd at all :0/
>
> Any idea will be helpful :0)
>
> Alexander Komratov

Here is my experience :
I have a promise ATA 100 pci controller and a IBM dtla 307030 ( 30Gb ) and
I used RedHat 7 .
Using the boot parameters ide2=......  works to install the system ( in a
few partition configurations ) but partition magic is not able to acces
the disc afterwords, reporting an error .In fact, if one reads Promise
documentattion , they explicitly say NOT TO USE disks conectted to ATA100
controller without the driver installed .
So it's better to follow Dan White's advice and instal it on the onboard
controler, recompile the Kernel to the new 2.4 and then pass it on to the
ATA100  controler .

Good luck and good work .

All the best

J.Pedro

------------------------------

From: Tim Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A few questions??
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:05:55 -0600

In order to make my modem work I need to type in "setserial /dev/ttyS0
irq 10 port 0xe800" is there a way to fix this so I don't have to type
it in every time I reboot?

I use MSN (dont ask why) for my internet provider and I cant type in a
normal address (like http://www.yahoo.com ) I have to type it in a
number form (like 204.146.81.99 ) anyone know the DNS numbers I need
to type in and where to type them????

A book I have says to use rhppp to connect to the internet, when I try
I get an error message that says "Failed to activate interface" and it
will not dial my modem. If I go to the dialup configuration tool and
the click on debug it dials into my isp just fine....is this normal?

As you can probably tell I'm a newbie. I have red hat 7.0 this is day
2 for me. Any book you can recomend will be much appriciated. I am so
happy to be rid of windows, well almost rid of windows. Thanks in
advance

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 06:04:05 GMT

yah sure,  just make sure to install linux at last, it's all taken care
of by lilo..   i suggest RedHat7, it's easy install.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  gataway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But if i want to install more OS like win2000, winNT, can i still use
lilo?

> ID wrote:
>
> > 1= install win98
> > 2= install partitionmagic..  but do NOT install bootmagic.
> > 3=resize your existing partition with partitionmagic to create
ampty space
> > for linux. (min. 600mb. 2+GB is good idea)
> > do NOT need to create a partition, just an empty space for linux.
> >
> > than try to install RH7-linux, follow on-screen instructions, you
don't need
> > a boot manager, linux has its own bootmanager called "lilo" that
will take
> > care of your win98 too.
> >
> > good luck
> > ismet
> >
> > "gataway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I'm going to setup a new system with two ATA 100 harddisk, one
for win
> > > 98 the other for  Linux RH7.I'm planning to have BootMAgic and
Partition
> > > Magic install .
> > > So which OS do i install first? And what partition is needed for
noth
> > > win98SE and Linux? Can i have and exmaple of how much space for
each
> > > partition? I will
> > > Install most of the application and games on win98SE ,as for
linux i am
> > > a newbie still
> > > need to explore more about it.Kindly give me a senerio on what to
do.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Subject: Re: Diagnostics Test Program for Linux?
Date: 11 Jan 2001 06:29:13 GMT

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:50:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>I am looking a a diagnostics Test program that run under Linux?  Can
>you help me on this?
>
>kevinn

search www.freshmeat.net for memtest and cpuburn. In my experience
nothing beats compiling a kernel, but they *look* like test programs.

Good luck,
Jurriaan

--
I am Ginsu of Borg. You will be assimilated - but WAIT! There's MORE!
GNU/Linux 2.2.19pre7 SMP 2x1402 bogomips load av: 0.22 0.13 0.05

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: printcap:account name
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 06:39:52 GMT

Hi,
I am able to print to the hp8100 printer fine but it does not
print the "account name" as the first page or last page. This RH
box is a print server for its own printing jobs. Other print servers
do print "account name" of each user. I read the man pages but not much
got out of it.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/