Linux-Hardware Digest #178, Volume #10            Fri, 7 May 99 07:13:32 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Adaptec SlimScsi 1460 (Michael Meissner)
  Re: small network, no pings (DB7654321)
  linux drivers for a D-Link DFE-503 TX 10/100 mbits NIC ("Mathieu Imrazene")
  isdn4k-utils won't compile on rh6.0 ("Carlsberg")
  Printer LBP-465 ("Patrick")
  Re: Best Super7 Motherboard ("Gene Heskett")
  Video Card and Monitor (Manny D.)
  LaserJet 1100 ("Richard Lewin")
  Re: SBlive under linux not working! (Martin van Roon)
  Help with sound driver startup (Janos Ero)
  Motorola Modem Help Please... ("Greg S.")
  [Q] Trident 9320 on IBM TP 365XD (Kim ungyol)
  Luxury Back Massage at SUPER Below market price for internet ONLY (James Scott)
  Re: Digital I/O boards (Lee Wei Shun)
  Re: "Jiggling" video (Christopher Mahmood)
  Sparc 5/170 & RH Linux 6.0? ("HJLin")
  Re: SBLive Linux Drivers HELP!!!! (Martin van Roon)
  Re: HP support sucks (was: funniest printer-problem) (peter)
  Re: Linux on a Notebook? (George Dau)
  sleep_on / wake_up problem, full-duplex, SoundBlaster 16 ("Regis")
  Re: SuSe 6.1 Setting up a PPP Connection to SWBELL.NET with wvdial ("Derek Turner")
  SB 128 PCI (Claude Chaudet)
  Examples of best machines for LINUX, least expensive machines for LINUX. (Don Saklad)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Adaptec SlimScsi 1460
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 May 1999 22:44:55 -0400

Dieter Kraft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> with Kernel 2.2.7 and PCMCIA 3.0.10
> no SCSI devices are recognised with the Adaptec SlimSCSI 1460B card
> Itīs no hardware problem because scanner and dat run under win98
> Is this a known problem and what is the solution?

I dunno about pcmcia 3.0.10, but certainly back in 3.0.5 days (and maybe 2.2.3
kernel), I used a 1460 adapter.  You do have to compile scsi support into the
kernel (I had problems when I compiled it as a module).  You might want to
check if /proc/scsi/scsi is created when the card is inserted, and if so, what
devices are present.  For the scanner, you will need scsi generic support
compiled in as well (or if a module, loaded), and obviously for the dat you
need scsi tape support compiled in.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DB7654321)
Subject: Re: small network, no pings
Date: 7 May 1999 07:16:09 GMT

Try posting this question to comp.os.linux.networking.  Somebody here could
probably handle this question, but you might get a faster response on the
networking newsgroup.
David Bell

Please don't email me just reply on the board.

------------------------------

From: "Mathieu Imrazene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux drivers for a D-Link DFE-503 TX 10/100 mbits NIC
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 10:10:47 +0200

hello !

is annyone know which drivers i should use for my NIC ? I'm using 2.2.7
kernel.

thank you in advance,
Mathieu

------------------------------

From: "Carlsberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: isdn4k-utils won't compile on rh6.0
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:05:40 +0200

complains about some missing ndbm.h...but I have that file in /include/db1
or something....

------------------------------

From: "Patrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer LBP-465
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 08:30:49 +0200

I am a very beginer in Linux.
I have got a LBP-465 (a "winPrinter").
Does anyone know if there is any way to use it under linux.

Thanks a million for your help.
Patrick

------------------------------

Date: 07 May 99 05:02:20 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Super7 Motherboard

Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to bot_b ;

> OK boys and girls, been looking at these groups
> for a couple of months now trying to find out
> what would be the best board for a AMD 400.

> Seems you all are working against me though.
> Guess I gave up drinking to soon. Is it really to
> much to ask? All I want is to build a good upgradable
> system that will run LINUX and WINDOWS.

> I know it's that WINDOWS thing isn't it.

Yup. that, and your hotmail address.  Their fscking spam generator is
working overtime, and this newsgroup is the only one I don't have
hotmail as a blanket kill in my killfile.

That said, the TYAN Trinity, S1590S baby AT mobo seems to be a fine one,
and I have a 400 mhx AMD K6-2/3DNow, with 64 megs of pc100 memory that
seems to be happy except when I run the rc5 client, the overtemp alarm
goes off entirely too quickly.

The general consensus seems to be that the thermometer in the bios is a
bit bogus.  Other than that, the board has been zero problems that
weren't configuration related.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III

From: Manny D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video Card and Monitor
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:10:38 GMT

I have RedHat V6.0 installed.  I cannot use X windows.  My monitor and
graphics card is not supported.  Perhaps someone out there can point me to
where the drivers are for my hardware.

Monitor:  PiXie
Model:    PBC-1450

Video Card: ATI Rage GL 128
Bus Type:   AGP
Memory:     32MB

-Manny

From: "Richard Lewin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers
Subject: LaserJet 1100
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:41:37 +0200

Hello,

I am going to buy an HP LaserJet 1100.  What I would like to know is, is it
worth upgrading the memory?  Will there be a significant performance
increase and if so should I get an 8MB or 16MB upgrade?  I will be using the
printer under Windows as well as Linux.

Thanks very much in advance.

Richard

------------------------------

From: Martin van Roon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SBlive under linux not working!
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:08:19 +0000

Ditisha wrote:

> I upgraded my kernel to 2.2.5-15. I cannot install the SBLive driver because I
> get an error message saying that the driver only works for kernel 2.0.36-7 and
> 2.2.5. I knew that - but where do I get the kernel -2.2.5? All the ones I see
> have some version numbers on it.
>
> Any input will be appreciated.

Use insmod -f sblive to make it work on 2.2.5-15.

Martin

------------------------------

From: Janos Ero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with sound driver startup
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:43:24 +0200

To start my ALSA sound driver I have to type
/sbin/modprobe snd-audiopci
/sbin/modprobe snd-pcm1-oss

I can do this only as root.

I tried to install an automatic
activation in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
and another in /etc/rc.d/init.d
but it failed. It did not install
the driver but even caused strange
ststem behavior. (once the network
connection disappeared!)

Question: what should I do to
automatize the installation?

Thanks

Janos Ero

------------------------------

From: "Greg S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Motorola Modem Help Please...
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 01:12:05 -0700

I'm running Redhat 6.0 dieing to get my modem to work on my Dual Boot
Win98/Linux system

In Windows the setting for my Motorola VoiceSurfr 56 are:

Com3
IRQ 11
I/O 03EB-03EF

For whatever reason I cannot get the modem to respond with any
reasonable speed. I suspect that the IRq might be set wrong. The
how-to's suggest an edit of RC.SERIAL would help but where do I find it
and what do I add to it...If anyone has any experience or can help me
with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Any other Modem setup information wouold be greatly appreicated also.

From: Kim ungyol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] Trident 9320 on IBM TP 365XD
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 17:13:41 +0900

Hi!
I'm using RedHat(kernel 2.0.36) on IBM TP 365XD with Trident 9320 chip
inside.
What a pain in the neck!
Everthings' all right on console mode.
But when it comes to X, I can't make it work perfect.
I tried everything i heard, but the best resolution & colordepth i could
get was 600x400x256 mode.
Before, Trident 9320 under WIN98 displayed up to 800x600 16bit color or
1024x768x256.
How can i make it happen again, PLZ..

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: James Scott<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Luxury Back Massage at SUPER Below market price for internet ONLY
Date: 7 May 1999 05:51:14 GMT

 Dear Friends,

 Luxury Back Massage

 Real Leather, Light Weight, Portable, 100 finger-massage with handy cigeratte lighter
plug for home,
office car or anywhere.

 US$62 ONLY
 For Internet ONLY (Retail Price US$90, but now you get it at US$62)
This special offer remains valid within these 4 weeks only

Order Now / For Details of the Product:

http://member.ctinets.com/~mottatc/shopping/automoti.htm

We are also selling other innovative consumer products at BELOW MARKET PRICE, just
simply bookmark the following wesite.

http://member.ctinets.com/~mottatc/shopping/index.htm

(For Innovative Car Accessories, click below:)
http://member.ctinets.com/~mottatc/shopping/automoti.htm

(For Innovative Environmental Health Products, click below:)
http://member.ctinets.com/~mottatc/shopping/environm.htm

Now just sit back and relax, enjoy your shopping

James Scott
TV Marketing Inc.

------------------------------

From: Lee Wei Shun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Digital I/O boards
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 14:11:01 +0800

You look like a person in a university, you should look at the Linux Lab
Project.

For i/o specifically: http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/pool/software/comedi/

Main Page: http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/

Matt Davies wrote:

> Is there anyone out there that has experience with Ddigital i/o boards and
> Linux?  I want to put a board in, but I am having trouble finding a
> manufacturer that has linux drivers.
>
> I would want to use a card with drivers that I can interface with c++
> programs.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks
> matt davies

"It's still ludicrous that nobody's ever made a run at us by making UNIX
 a popular platform on PCs.  It's almost too late now."  -- Steve Balmer
"It is too late."   -- Bill Gates             _Newsweek_, 6/23/97, p. 82

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Jiggling" video
Date: 05 May 1999 10:02:44 -0700

well, if it happens before you've even booted linux (or whatever), then
it's hardly a linux problem.  try your monitor on another machine...maybe
it's time to go shopping.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: "HJLin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sparc 5/170 & RH Linux 6.0?
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 18:12:09 +0800

So far my Sparc 5/170 (TurboSPARC) does not run any version of
Linux.

Does the upcoming Red Hat Linux 6.0 support Sparc 5/170?

Thanks for any info.

Chester

From: Martin van Roon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SBLive Linux Drivers HELP!!!!
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:21:51 +0000

ShaoK14 wrote:

> I just tried installing the SBLive drivers for Linux, but I keep getting
> undefined symbol errors and my sound is still not working. I've tried the
> automatic install and the manual install...although I'm not sure I did the
> manual install correctly. I'm running kernel 2.2.5 with Mandrake (RedHat 5.2).
> Anyway ANY help on this matter would certainly be
> greatly appreciated!! Here is the readme file:

[snip]

Use insmod soundcore;insmod -f sblive to force the driver to load.
I've put this in my rc.local, and it works fine.

Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (peter)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.hp.hardware
Subject: Re: HP support sucks (was: funniest printer-problem)
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:25:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

Hello Peter ;)

no, of course not !! the free websupport is a page with a single
phonennumber. if you call this, then you get redirected 10 times and
spend a lot of money and then you get informed that you have to pay for
each support.
and so : hp-support sucks.

> Hello Peter,
>
> Is it possible to email HP with a question, and get a response?
> Is that what you meant by free support? If it is possible, can
> you please point me to the URL.

peter

=================
pilsl@
ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Dau)
Subject: Re: Linux on a Notebook?
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:30:28 GMT

"cris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

]Hello out there!
]
]I want to install my DLD Linux 6.0 on a new DELL Latitiude CPi Notebook.
]I have now already installed it, but I have a problem with the
]konfiguration of the X-Server, what kind of Entrys i have to make? I have
]also a 3com 10/100 Base- Tx Ethernet- card and a Psion Dacom 56k Modemcard.
]What kind of Entrys i have to make, or must i modify the Kernel?
]Please help me or I shot a Cucumber into my Knee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know about X, but I just set up 3com 10Bt ethernet on a laptop. I
just followed the doco that came with the pcmcia package. Had to rebuild
the kernel as per the instructions. The install of the package does a
lot of things, and it all just worked when I was finished.

Try http://hyper.stanford.edu/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/home.html

for starters.

--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.   __
/    * \ Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             ! Views/opinions above need    (00)

------------------------------

From: "Regis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: sleep_on / wake_up problem, full-duplex, SoundBlaster 16
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:06:37 +0200

I would be happy to have a solution about a little sleep_on/wake_up problem
I have.

First,let me explain what lead to the problem:

I recently change a SoundBlaster PRO for a SoundBlaster 16 and i have decide
to build my own driver as a loadable module (Voxware sound driver work !).
In my driver ,I have implemented a full-duplex capability as it is possible
with a SB 16, by using of the two DMA channels (8bits and 16bits) at the
same
time. I use 16bits DMA for recording and 8 bits DMA for playing, both DMAs
share the same IRQ but a soundcard status port give the info on which
DMA (or sample size) it's occuring. Status gives 0x81 for 8bits, 0x82 for
16bits (and 0x83 for both but this should be avoid, maybe).

Basicaly, the driver work like this. At init, two DMA buffers are allocated,
one for each DMA channel, interrupt is registered without SA_INTERRUPT.
When writting, the write function try to fill as much as it can the DMA
buffer ,if the buffer is full the proccess go to sleep through a call
to 'interruptible_sleep_on' and is wake up by the interrupt routine when
there is available space.
When reading, the read function try to read as much as it can from the DMA
buffer ,if the buffer is empty the proccess go to sleep through a call
to 'interruptible_sleep_on' and is wake up by the interrupt routine when
there is data available.

To demonstrate myself the full-duplex, I have built a little program which
does this :
1) set read to 16bits 44100 Hz stereo
2) set write to 8bits 44100 Hz stereo
3) in a loop send data read from soundcard to the soundcard (after signed
   word to unsigned char convertion)
This produce an echo effect, and it works.

Here is the problem, it happen that the program never wake up.

That arise when apparently interrupt for 8bits and 16bits are merge.
When buffers are synchronise, it has never happens.
By synchronise, I mean that the 8bits buffer length represent the same
sampling time as the 16bits buffer length, as long as the two DMA doesn't
start at the same time all work fine even with 8bits buffer length of 128
bytes, which is an interrupt rate generation of 689 Hz (8bits stereo 44100
Hz).
If both buffers represent different timings, after a while the program stop
'echoing' but don't hang the system.

The Question:
Does anybody knowns about how to fix me, or can give me a guideline to
follow
for a full-duplex operations ?

Note:
  I used linux 2.0.0 (Slackware 3.1) on an IBM PS/VP 486DX2 66 Mhz with 20
Mb.
  The driver is for my personnal use.

" As of version 2.0.0, linux still don't recognize my 2 harddisks (Maxtor)
  without specifying the geometries, even with brand new E-ide driver.
  OpenBSD does recognize them without help !
  And I don't tell you about Mitsumi CD driver "mcdx" which, when doing
  a simple 'find /cdrom -name *.lsm  -print > lsm.all ' command, slowdown
the
  system in a way that I must wait a bunch of seconds between each char I
type
  or when I switch to another virtual console ..."

------------------------------

From: "Derek Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SuSe 6.1 Setting up a PPP Connection to SWBELL.NET with wvdial
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 07:41:46 +0100

you need to install with the networking option enabled, even if you haven't
got a network card then SuSE will install PPP
if compiling your own kernel you need to find PPP a long way down the
network menu
HTH
Derek

------------------------------

From: Claude Chaudet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB 128 PCI
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:48:17 +0200

I can't configure my SB 128 PCI.

I compiled sound and es1370 as modules. these modules load at startup, no
problem. I have some sound (mp3, vaw etc.) but :
        - When I launch mpg123, it is impossible to do anything else under
X (console works but X hangs...)
        - I can't setup volume. Mixers (gnome, xmixer etc.) don't work.

And, I don't know if this is related, but the gnome CD player doesn't see
my CDs while xcdplay does (but plays nothing).

Does anybody know any trick for configuring my soud card properly ?
I saw there were drivers for it (but not free). Do they work well ?

                                Claude.

From: Don Saklad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Examples of best machines for LINUX, least expensive machines for LINUX.
Date: 07 May 1999 07:12:09 -0400

1. What are some examples of the best machines for LINUX ?

2. What are some examples of the least expensive machines for LINUX ?

Please reply via
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Don Saklad  2 Linwood Place  Cambridge MA 02139-1525
tel. 617-661-9650 voice & FAX