Linux-Hardware Digest #201, Volume #10           Mon, 10 May 99 13:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Re: SoundBlaster PCI128 problems (Kenneth Cheng)
  Strange problems, please help. ("David Murray")
  Re: OT: How do you pronounce Llinux??  Was Re: softk56 modems - English.au (0/1)
(Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Is there a bpcd.o for kernel 2.2.5? (Steffen Kluge)
  Network Card (Vitor Pedro Bonucci Pias)
  Modem connection speed (gus)
  Re: Help! ISDN Motorola Bitsurfer Pro EZ w/ Lava Link 650 ISA ("Colonel Panic©")
  pnp problems - ess1868 & Ethernet (Daniel McLean)
  Re: LINUX and AMD K6-3D NOW,  ANY PROBLEM? (JaZZman)
  LINUX and AMD K6-3D NOW,  ANY PROBLEM? (Francisco de Borja Rodriguez)
  Re: Redhat Linux w/ AMD K6-2 (William Mount)
  Re: PCI internal modem ("R.Bertrand")
  MONITOR Power Managment in Linux? (Denis Kholodar)
  Integrated Circuits (Alexandra Horwood)
  Re: How good is a Riva TNT for svgalib? (Kelly Harrison)
  Re: AHA-2940U2W ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  File system for NT and Linux (Wolfgang Ganzert)
  Re: File system for NT and Linux ("David Murray")
  complete shutdown (ken pile)
  Re: Newby tries to install Soundblaster16 (**Nick Brown)
  Re: Getting Lilo to modify active partition (**Nick Brown)
  Re: S3Trio64 Video Card ("Jon Pennington")
  ISDN and Psion 56k 10Mb card + Redhat5.2 (Vin Everett)
  Re: File system for NT and Linux (**Nick Brown)

From: Kenneth Cheng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster PCI128 problems
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 22:03:33 +0800

Go to http://developer.soundblaster.com/ to see.

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange problems, please help.
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 13:38:23 GMT

Okay, I had a server here running Slackware Linux 3.4 for a long, long
time.. it was fine.. but just for kicks I'll give a description of the
machine:

Intel Pentium 90
48 MB of RAM
Award BIOS
850 MB Seagate HDD
2 IDE CDROMs
Intel Etherexpress Pro
Sound Blaster 16 (Old, non PnP)
S3 trio64 Video card.

Again, everything was fine but I decided to install RedHat 5.2 instead of
Slackware.. so I wiped the drive.  RedHat kept locking up half way through
creating the ext2 filesystem.  I tried like 3 times.  Then I formatted the
drive with MS-DOS and tried RedHat again and it worked..
        next problem... Load Redhat and the network card doesn't work.  During the
installtion I told it there was an Etherexpress Pro, but it kept saying
"Cannot find device" and so I decided not to install the card and do it
later under the Redhat control panel and manually assign it the eepro.o
module.  Well, that doesn't work.  During boot insmod says "Device or
resource busy" and doesn't install the module.  Of course, ifconfig can't
find it because eth0 isn't installed..  The only thing I haven't tried is
assigning it manually an I/O range and/or IRQ but I don't know what the
card is set to.  This was never neccessary under Slackware with the driver
built into the kernel.
        Also, Xwindows crashes a lot and the whole system just generally locks up
a lot.  Again, this never happened before and this whole hardware was
running fine only hours before this project.  What could be wrong?  I have
a theory but no real evidence to prove it.  Is the Network card's IRQ
somehow moved and conflicting with something else in the system causing the
crashes and not allowing me to detect the card any longer?
        Please advise possible causes!
--DavidM

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: How do you pronounce Llinux??  Was Re: softk56 modems - English.au
(0/1)
Date: 10 May 1999 10:25:45 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike) writes:

> Hi:
>
> Here you have Linus telling you how to pronounce Linux.

that's nice, but we are not talking about *linux*.  we were wondering
how to pronounce *llinux*.  please notice the double L.  see the
subject!

i think it should go like ll in llama (the spanish LL, the english Y
consonant sound and german J sound).  btw i think llamas are cool.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Subject: Re: Is there a bpcd.o for kernel 2.2.5?
Date: 10 May 1999 15:07:32 GMT

In article <7h10bi$fm0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Yorke  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My Backpack CD ROM used to work perfectly using the kernel installed with
>RedHat 5.2 but after installing RedHat 6.0 I find out that there is no
>bpcd.o file delivered anymore.  Does anyone know where I can get a bpcd.o
>(binary preferred over source) which has been compiled for kernel 2.2.5 and
>works?

With 2.2.x kernels (actually starting from 2.1.7x or somewhere
in that range) you use a new generation of parallel port
drivers. I've just mounted a backpack CDROM using a 2.2.5-ac6
kernel and lsmod shows the following:

Module                  Size  Used by
pcd                    11724   1
bpck                    8812   1
cdrom                  12060   0  [pcd]
isofs                  17096   1  (autoclean)
parport_probe           2848   0  (autoclean) (unused)
paride                  3184   1  (autoclean) [pcd bpck]
parport                 6632   0  (autoclean) [parport_probe paride]

The cdrom device is called /dev/pcd0.

So, building the kernel with parport, paride and backpack
support (as modules if you want) should do the trick.

Btw, parport is a generic driver for parallel ports, used by all
sorts of device specific drivers (like paride or lp) that also
supports daisy-chaining of devices. With this setup I'm using a
printer connected to the backpack, something not possible under
2.0.x.

Hope this helps
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fujitsu Australia Ltd

From: Vitor Pedro Bonucci Pias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network Card
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:25:51 +0000

I have a Ethernet card of Bay networks Model FA 310TX

 My Linux box detectected (cat /proc/pci) LiteON LNE100TX

 but i cannot put to work with my Linux BOX.I don't Know

 if Linux suport it.

 Any help is greatfuly appreciated

 Pedro Pias (Portugal)

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem connection speed
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:14:54 +0100

I am a slow learner (having used Linux at home on and off for 4 years
... ;-), and eventually decided to use Linux on my home network as a
gateway (instead of using the one Win98 machine only for Internet
access). This was about a year ago ... ;-) Since the system I had works,
and I really use Linux for the education / database / and development
capabilities, I only really made a dedicated effort this weekend.

This weekend (in fact at 2am this morning) I finally got to the stage
where (nearly) everything works. I have PPP, IP_Forwarding,
Masquerading, etc all set up, but I am consistently getting poorer
connection speeds through my externel USRobotics Sportser Flash upgraded
to x2 than I get when it is attached to my Windows machine.

Setserial shows the serial port at 115200baud (spd_normal ... should it
be spd_hi?), and the modem is at AT&F1 (default factory settings for
hardware flow control) with a couple of modifications such as E1, V1,
and such (nothing set with floor and ceiling connection speeds). My
modem will never connect at more than 33600, and often at 19200, but on
the Windows machine it will conect at normally always around 44000.

What have I missed?

gus

------------------------------

From: "Colonel Panic©" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! ISDN Motorola Bitsurfer Pro EZ w/ Lava Link 650 ISA
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 11:21:26 -0400

nah...no problem...anything to help u guys get some sleep...

!Linux4ever!
news:7h54nc$ac5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Daniel McLean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pnp problems - ess1868 & Ethernet
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 21:49:06 +1000

I am having troubles with the hardware settings of my soundcard.

The network card was working fine, untill I inserted the sound card. I
ran sndconfig and the sound card worked, but now linux cant find the
ethernet card...

How do I set up the sound card so that it wont upset the network card?

Ihave read about  useing loadlin.exe to boot into linux after setting
the preferences with windows, but am hoping for something which doesnt
require me to boot into windows.

From: JaZZman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX and AMD K6-3D NOW,  ANY PROBLEM?
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 17:34:54 +0200

Francisco de Borja Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi..
>I wolud like to buy a Amd-K6 350 Mhz, but I do not sure if it is
>completly compatible  with linux,

No problem works fine..

>and what is the optimal main board for this combination.

I have the Asus P5A-B 100Mhz works fine

>Somebody knows if there is any problem?, and what are the differences
>with P-II of intel?,

It's not as fast but all software that requires the PII runs as normal.

>or any place of internet with this questions.......
>Thank's in advance.....
>Paco

Grtz Ron

------------------------------

From: William Mount <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat Linux w/ AMD K6-2
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:51:35 -0500

Yes it does.  I've run 5.2 and 6.0 from Redhat and 5.3 and 6.0 SUSE on a
K6-2.

Bill Mount

AMD K6-3 450
786mg RAM
4X 18gig SCSI Drives
ATI XPert 99 16mg AGP.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:26:38 +0200
From: "R.Bertrand" <bertrand@bearbull>
Subject: Re: PCI internal modem

Marco Borra a écrit dans le message
<7h6l89$m2s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Please, help me! I have a Sidin Atlantis VQH 1456 PCI internal modem, ....
>it is a winmodem! You know a way (or a driver) to use this modem under
linux
                       ^^^^
                       too bad, win = Window and Windows is not Linux.

------------------------------

From: Denis Kholodar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MONITOR Power Managment in Linux?
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 11:55:59 -0400

In windows my monitor (after some time when I don't touch any
keys/mouse) turns on the screen saving and later it switches to
saving mode (lower-power standby it's called in Display Properties)
and uses its built-in power managment system (consumes less power,
power indicator changes color).

How can I do this in Linux, too?
Maybe anybody at least saw where to read about it on web, because i
can't find that info?

thanks.
Denis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexandra Horwood)
Subject: Integrated Circuits
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:14:09 GMT

Hi :)

I realise that this is probably not the place to be asking but I am
not really sure where else to start.

I am studying Digital Systems Structures at university and we are
currently doing circuit boards.  I have to build a BCD
adder/subtractor circuit.  I have already built a 2's complement adder
and we are supposed to base it on that.

Does anybody know how to help me or where I can get some help?

TIA

Alex

------------------------------

From: Kelly Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.svgalib,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How good is a Riva TNT for svgalib?
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:01:51 GMT

_exT wrote:

> >No. It just uses the generic VGA driver. Since the only thing i usr
> >svgalib for is Quake, it doesn't matter for me. :)
>
> i wish there WAS some support for OpenGL in Linux for TNT cards.
>
> then we could RUN THE F'UCKING Q3:ARENA TEST on linux
> (3df(x) is old crap)
> till then lets wait for win32 verison. (should be in couple of weeks)
>
> i hope will some have some support from nVidia for OpenGL in Linux:)

According to www.mesa3d.org, TNT is or will soon be supported by mesa

kelly

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: AHA-2940U2W
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 14:18:37 GMT

In article <hTdY2.137$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Ricardo Canani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <7gka89$ula$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >In article <0X6X2.2691$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  "Ricardo Canani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>     Hi !
> >>
> >>     Does anybody know if Linux Kernel 2.0.36 supports Adaptec
> >> AHA-2940U2W ?
> >>
> >>     Any help is welcome.
> >>

> >Yes, it does.  BOth RedHat5.2 and Mandrake 5.3 worked well on an
> ASUS P2B-LS
> >motherboard which includes the adaptec chipset.  I use an IBM
> UltraStar
> >Ultra-2 drive and it works like a charm.  The driver correctly
> claims that
> >the SCSI chain transfer speed is 80 MB/s, as expected with U2
> stuff.
> >
> >Of course, the drive's max transfer speed is around 20 MB/s,
> which leaves 60
> >MB/s to play with...
> >

>     What about Slackware Linux ?
>
> _______________________________
>
> Ricardo Canani
> Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
> http://www.nh.conex.net/user/canani

Hey... This is Linux!  What is important is the kernel version, not the
distro! If a kernel version (e.g. 2.0.36 or 2.2.7) works, it works with any
distro 'cause the distro guys just repackage stuff... No distro should have
proprietary code.  Caldera are an exception with their NovellNetware
packages... but it is the only one that i know of.

The true authority for kernels & device drivers is http://www.kernel.org/
... anything else is just fluff that makes it easy to start a machine up &
running, but you should not wait for distro guys to update your kernel.  Go
ahead, download & compile your own optimized kernel.  Warning: the learning
curve can be steep, but it is a very, very satisfying experience.  And _you_
have absolute control on what is inside your kernel, not some other distro
guy who does not know a thing about your actual system configuration.

Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:32:11 +0200
From: Wolfgang Ganzert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: File system for NT and Linux

Hello,

I want to use WinNT 4.0 and Linux to share the same data partition on a
disk. (size 9GB). The problem is that Linux does not support NTFS in the
"normal" distribution of the Kernel 2.036. On the other side WinNT does
not recognize ext2fs from Linux.
For FAT32 a special driver for WinNT is needed. Also the file attributes
rwx from Linux ar not supported on the FAT32. This is a problem when
running shell scripts from FAT32 on Linux.

What would be the best solution to share the large data?

Any suggestions?

Thank You!

Sincerely

Wolfgang

P.S.:Since sometimes I have problems accessing the news-server I would
be thankfull for a direct e-mail to me.

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: File system for NT and Linux
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:33:05 GMT

I hate to say it.. but maybe Fat16?  I know it is old an inefficient, but I
don't know another way other than to use the new 2.2.6 kernel and try NTFS

From: ken pile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: complete shutdown
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 17:49:38 +0100

When I close Windoze 98 ( which I open once a month to remind me how
superior Linux is :-) ) it turns off my machine. Is it possible to get
Linux to do this as well, instead of stopping at the " system is halted
"  warning?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newby tries to install Soundblaster16
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:42:02 +0200

First try building a kernel with support included.  Enable sound and the
SB-compatible entries and say "Y" rather than "M".  Make sure you give
the right I/O and IRQ, of course.  Your values look correct, I think,
but make sure that the kernel make procedure has them.  Don't trust the
defaults.

This card should work first time, every time, so my guess is you haven't
quite got the art of kernel building right yet.  Keep trying - it will
work.

No need for AdLib modules on this card.

Andreas Matthies wrote:
> I'm using SUSE6.1 with kernal 2.2.5 and I try to install support for my
> Soundblaster16 (no pnp). How do I have to configure the kernal?

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)int)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting Lilo to modify active partition
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:44:59 +0200

Check "man activate".  If you don't have it, check your distrib in case
'activate' is a separate package.  Then replace "lilo" with "myscript"
which contains lilo and activate.

From: "Jon Pennington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3Trio64 Video Card
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 02:10:49 GMT

Don't use Xconfigurator.  I've personally never seen that particular tool
work on the same setup twice in a row.  Once you're certain that the RPM
for your card, XF86_S3, is installed, use xf86config.  It sounds dumb, but
give it a shot.
--
-=|JP|=-

Ben Mihailescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: Vin Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: ISDN and Psion 56k 10Mb card + Redhat5.2
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:09:37 +0100

Has anyone got ISDN working via a Psion 56k 10Mb card, and Redhat 5.2 ?
I can get it to ethernet and gsm, but not ISDN any tips on how/what
software to add ?

--
Cheers Vin

Vin Everett                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Medical Research Council         +44 1223 330381 Voice
Biostatistics Unit               +44 1223 330383 Fax
Cambridge                        +44  468 828238 Mobile
Key fingerprint =  69 CE C7 59 9B 7C AB 57  B0 B5 47 2A 1E 99 49 30

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:38:35 +0200

I notice that in the 2.2.7 kernel, NTFS read/write support appears to
have gone from "experimental, use at your own risk" to, well, it isn't
there any more.  Draw your own conclusions.