Linux-Hardware Digest #201, Volume #11            Tue, 7 Sep 99 15:13:45 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron... ("Robert (Bob) McGwier")
  Adaptec 1535 + Slackware 4.0 (Ben Bauer)
  HELP EAST TIMOR (TIMOR LORO SAE) ("João Silva")
  Please help experts!!! : My HDs are gone after changing the Slave to Master!!! (BIOS
doesnt detect them anymore) (blunzerl)
  Xylogics serial board (Bruno Quesnel)
  Re: Linux kernel compile problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: UDMA problem? (Sales Information)
  Disscusion Board for Phat Linux. (Heyday)
  [SOUNDCARD] Creative Labs - Soud Blaster AWE32 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Iomega Zip Drive problems ("fooDude")
  Re: Linux & Stollman ISDN adapter (Clifford Kite)
  Re: ATAPI CD burning? ("Alexander Mundy")
  Re: FS: 5 DEC VRT19-HA 19" Triniton monitors ; $135 US ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Suse 6.2 Hard Disk Installation Error, 'Can't Find Image !'? ("fooDude")
  PCL-844 multiport card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: EZ-BIOS and LILO (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  Canon BJC 4400 (siz)
  Re: Linux kernel compile problem (roger summars)
  Re: Modem difficulties - feedback wanted (Mike Frisch)
  Re: ATAPI CD burning? (Mike Frisch)

From: "Robert (Bob) McGwier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron...
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:39:33 GMT

Ahh well that is easy.  It is <<NOT>> part of the Pentium II processor,
it is part of the Pentium II PACKAGE you bought.  Inside that little
box are several things, the pentium as well as L2 cache and other
things all on a circuit board.  Now I understand the confusion.

Bob

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Bauer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Adaptec 1535 + Slackware 4.0
Date: 7 Sep 1999 14:09:45 GMT

I am having some trouble getting an Adaptec 1535
recognised by Linux 2.2.6 (Slack4.0).  I am using
the scsi.s kernel and I tried append="aha1542=0x130,11,4,5"
in the lilo settings, but no luck.  According to several
newsgroup postings, the 1535 is "a 1542CP without BIOS".

The card has a 4 switch dip on it to toggle pnp/not
and set the address.  I have tried (with PnP disabled)
130 and 330 but to no avail.

If I have it right, I edit /etc/lilo.conf, then run /sbin/lilo
then reboot and the new lilo.conf should be in effect.

What am I missing?

------------------------------

From: "João Silva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,es.binarios.economia.bolsa,es.charla.cooperacion,es.charla.economia.bolsa
Subject: HELP EAST TIMOR (TIMOR LORO SAE)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:27:28 +0100

Please make some thing to finish the genocide in East Timor.
This genocide was brazenly organized by the Indonesian army with the purpose
to force UNAMET withdrawal from Timor.
A peace force must be sent to East Timor.

Send this petition:

==========================
PETITION

Widespread death and destruction are happening in East Timor.
Unless world leaders exert maximum pressure on the Indonesian Government
the results of last Monday's referendum will be followed by a growing
massacre and destruction of thousands of citizens who braved everything to
vote, expressing overwhelmingly their wish to become independent.
Regrettably, the Indonesian Government is not fullfiling the New York
agreements and has allowed the violence to spread.

An international force is essential to prevent the total slaughter of
the people by the anti-independence militias.

Therefore,

I call upon you to URGENTLY exert all of the available means at your
disposal to make the killings stop and prevent the deportation and massacre
of the people of East Timor.

Please send to:

E-mail:

Fax:
001-212-415-4443 - United States on UN
001-212-628-0252 - Russian Federation on UN
001-212-634-7626 - People's Republic of China on UN
001-212-421-6889 - Republic of France on UN
001-212-745-9316 - United Kingdom on UN

Regards
João Silva
Portugal

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (blunzerl)
Crossposted-To:
comp.periphs,comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup
Subject: Please help experts!!! : My HDs are gone after changing the Slave to
Master!!! (BIOS doesnt detect them anymore)
Date: 7 Sep 1999 08:09:02 -0500

guys i really need some help!

Had a small HD as master and a (bigger,newer) one as Slave. BIOS
detected both without a glitch! After I had removed the master and
jumpered the former slave as master - the BIOS couldnt detect it!
Neither could i go back to the old setup - the BIOS now doesnt detect
any HD!!!!!!!!
int 13h returns code 80h ("drive failed to respond") - no matter how i
jumper master/slave , only a master etc. NO the cables are connected
correctly ;=)

Do I have to reset the CMOS ram ? how could I accomplish this task
easily without making the situation even worse? Why the hell isnt the
BIOS detecting the change????????? I would like the BIOS to start from
scratch - I dont care about data loss (backups) - i want my harddisks
back!!!!!!!! at least the bigger one .......

Please help me out! reply here or to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
thanx  a lot,
Phil

------------------------------

From: Bruno Quesnel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Xylogics serial board
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:11:27 -0400

Hi.

    I'm part of a Ham radio club and we received a gift....  A xylogics
annex micro els.  This piece of hardware permits to plug 16 serial ports
and making them available to the network...

    The only problem, is that we don't have any documentation about this
peice of hardware and no software.

    Has any one worked with this model or something similar and would
provide some explication on how to access each ports....

Thanks in advance......

Bruno Quesnel
Electrical Engineering, Montreal

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,fa.linux.kernel
Subject: Re: Linux kernel compile problem
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:26:28 GMT

In article <7r1kos$f0h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am trying to compile Kernel 2.2 from the RedHat 6.0 distribution.
> All goes well during the "make boot" until the end, or at least I
think
> it's near the end where the kernel is compressed.  The process stops
at
> this point:
>
>   make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-2.2.4/arch/i386/boot'
>   gcc -D__kernel__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/include -E -traditional
>   -DSVGA_MODE=NORMAL_VGA  bootsect.S -o bootsect.s
>   as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
>   make[1]: as86: Command not found
>   make[1]: ***bootsect.o bootsect.s
>   make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/arch/i386/boot'
>   make: *** [boot] Error
>
> Could this be caused by a problem in my configuration?  I'm thinking
> the as86 line should read should read "gcc aas86...".
> I've tried "make zImage" and "make bzImage" as well.
> Any advice on why this may be happening would be appreciated. Thanks
in
> advance.

A big thanks.  Installing the bin86 did the trick.

From: Sales Information <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA problem?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:47:54 GMT

Try this command:

hdparm -d1 -X66 /dev/hda

You should get somewhere around 10MB/sec to 13MB/sec.

Stephan.

************************************
Stéphan Monette
H.M.Net Technologies Inc.
Tél.: 613-443-6696 or 613-794-3262
Fax.: 613-443-7773
************************************

------------------------------

From: Heyday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux
Subject: Disscusion Board for Phat Linux.
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:32:16 GMT

I have created a disscusion board for Phat Linux at:

http://stop.at/phatlinux

I hope that this will be a good place for those interested in talking
about Phat Linux.

Thanks,

Joel Peterson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [SOUNDCARD] Creative Labs - Soud Blaster AWE32
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:08:10 GMT

Greetings!

I will be installing Linux Mandrake soon, and am doinfg a bit of a
compatiability search for my current hardware.

My soundcard is what appears in the subject line, and I guess I'm
wondering if this will work under Linux.

Has anybody had trouble getting an SB-AWE32 soundcard to work?

TIA.

------------------------------

From: "fooDude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Iomega Zip Drive problems
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:32:42 -0500

Hi, the problem that you are having can be solved by mounting the drive, but
with an internal zip drive, there is another step. Justr to make it easy,
I'll go through the whole thing. This procedure assumes your zip drive to be
connected as secondary slave (or hdd):

 - for an msdos formatted zip disk:
    mount -t msdos /dev/hdd4 /whateverdirectory
 - for a linux formatted zip disk:
    mount /dev/hdd4 /whateverdirectory

See, when your box detects the IDE zip drive, it automatically detects the
active partition as hdd4, it has something to do with the way the drive
interacts with the IDE controller.
This procedure will definitely work for an Iomega zip drive, but I have
never tried it with one of the wannabe drives, so if you have one of those,
use a disk you don't care about the first time you try it! Also, if you are
using a zip drive connected to a UDMA controller (one of the new fast access
PCI hard drive controllers) I doubt if this will work without goosing the
UDMA card at boot. BUT, that is another subject altogether. Good luck!
Matt

news:lw%A3.1444$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Linux & Stollman ISDN adapter
Date: 7 Sep 1999 12:27:10 -0500

Zlatko Rek ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Clifford Kite wrote:
> >
> > I'd try fiddling with the asyncmap option, asyncmap 0 and asyncmap a0000
> > would be candidates.  A surprising number of similarly obscure problems
> > are cured this way.

> I've tried these two options, but the problem is not solved. The PC motherboard
> is Intel Livermore (LM440LX) with integrated serial ports. Should I try with
> external IO card?

I don't see why the integrated serial ports would cause a problem.  Here
are some other things to try related to flow control.  Using xonxoff
rather than crtscts flow control.  Reducing the pppd speed option to the
speed of the ISDN line (57600?).

You also might try requesting a smaller MRU with the pppd option "mru 576"
or perhaps even "mru 552".

This is mostly guessing of course, I don't have any definitive answers
for stalling problems.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* On occasion you'll run into an attidude on usenet.  They contribute

------------------------------

From: "Alexander Mundy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI CD burning?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:20:44 -0400

Jay.
Well...I did get it working sorta...it recognized the drive, but then I
could not mount either the burner or my regular CDRom drive....

Any suggestions???

Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> From what I've seen and my experience (and according to the How-TO), you
must
> get the ide-scsi emulation working.  Its not that hard to get working.
Only

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.vms,comp.sys.dec,misc.forsale.computers.monitors
Subject: Re: FS: 5 DEC VRT19-HA 19" Triniton monitors ; $135 US
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:28:59 GMT

Software Integrators (http://www.si87.com) makes graphics card which can
drive these DEC monitors from a PC. All resolutions are displayable,
from DOS text to 1280x1024 resolution.

Joe

In article <O1Vz3.749$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Kent Rankin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     The monitors are located in Pulaski, VA, 24301.
>
>     They are DEC model VRT19-HA monitors with Triniton tubes.  Quite
nice
> monitors, mind you, as I use several of them on a daily basis.  Sony
OEM

--
Joe McCarthy              | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Software Integrators Inc. | 800-547-2349 (sales)

From: "fooDude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Re: Suse 6.2 Hard Disk Installation Error, 'Can't Find Image !'?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:44:56 -0500

If you are installing from the HD, then the directory structure of the
folder you are installing from is more than likely corrupted or incorrect.
If you are installing it from CD, then you need to specifiy the /dev/hd*
that corresponds to your CD drive. More than likely, hda is not it. Usually
its a slave on the primary (hdb), a master on the secondary (hdc), or a
slaqve on the seconday (hdd). Good Luck!
Matt

Allix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:4TWA3.10709$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Using rawrite I created  a boot disk using the eide1 image and booted into
> the installation. Eventually I got to
> the part of the installation that asks me to locate where the files are.
It

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PCL-844 multiport card
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:44:17 GMT

Hello..

I have a PCL-844 serial multiport card (8 port).
Does anyone know how to use it under Linux (Red Hat 5.2 Kernel 2.0.36)?
Where to find a driver ?

Thanks to everyone !

jean-arthur

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: EZ-BIOS and LILO
Date: 7 Sep 1999 14:59:57 GMT

In article <7r2msl$3at$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Villy Kruse wrote:

>Cameron L. Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>One of the cases in the LILO mini-HOWTO described an install
>>without EZ-BIOS/OnTrack, on a drive with more than 1024 cylinders.
>>The key was to put the Microsoft product on the first 1023 cylinders,
>>and use the rest for Linux.  The Lilo-related files are in
>>C:\LINUX\LILO in the Microsoft partition.  /sbin/lilo complains about
>>the cylinder count, but it works anyway.
>

>Make that 1020 for Microsoft and 3 cylinders for the linux /boot partition.
>Then you won't have any lilo problems, provided, of course, that the kernel
>file is in the /boot file system instead of in the root file system.

The three cylinders for Lilo is a convenience, but not a neccessity.
If you're installing Microsoft on cylinders 1-1023,
the directory C:\LINUX\LILO is a workable place for bzImage, message, map,
chain.b, and boot.b.  The lilo installer and the LILO boot loader can
find things on an msdos or vfat partition.

If you mount C: as vfat, give the files 8+3 character uppercase names.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: siz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Canon BJC 4400
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:44:40 -0400

Any advice on getting my Canon BJC 4400 to work with Linux (RH5.2)? I'm
just getting garbage when trying to print postscript files.

I'm using the printtool with the Canon BJC 4000 series filter. Shouldn't
this work?

PLEASE help.

siz

------------------------------

From: roger summars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,fa.linux.kernel,comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:13:10 -0500

I for one really admire this post and this poster.  Rather than wasting
bandwidth telling the poor guy not to cross-post, or just ignoring it
altogether, this poster had the knowledge and didn't mind sharing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: Modem difficulties - feedback wanted
Date: 7 Sep 1999 14:52:24 GMT

On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:05:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>When I run Linux, the isapnp stuff finds it fine, and assigns it to irq
>4, on ttyS0.  setserial -g /dev/ttyS* shows it there with UART 16550 (I
>think...I'd need to check again to be sure)

This doesn't look good...  don't you have on-board serial ports at
COM1:/IRQ4 and COM2:/IRQ3?  It looks like isapnp has misconfigured or
misdetected the PnP information.

With that said, if the modem supports jumpers, why not use them?

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Date: 7 Sep 1999 18:53:33 GMT

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:20:44 -0400, Alexander Mundy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well...I did get it working sorta...it recognized the drive, but then I
>could not mount either the burner or my regular CDRom drive....

Did you add the "hdx=ide-scsi" (where 'x' is the letter for your CD-R
drive.  ie. 'a' is primary master, 'b' primary slave, 'c' secondary
master, 'd' secondary slave, etc) append to your /etc/lilo.conf? Once the
system has booted, did you run 'modprobe ide-scsi'?  If so, does 'dmesg'
report any devices detected?

>From this point on, you should be able to use cdrecord and cdparanoia.  I
have a Sony CRX100E (IDE) which works fine with these programs under
2.2.11 (2.2.5 was broken and I didn't try any other kernels in between).