Linux-Hardware Digest #257, Volume #10           Mon, 17 May 99 16:13:33 EDT

Contents:
  sound working with static!!! HELP!!! (OMG)
  Re: 3Com cards address reported wrong (Alan.J.Thackray)
  Re: Token-ring cards (selious)
  Re: Who makes the best cases?? (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Isapnp modems. ("Gary Maltzen")
  Re: help to configure ESS1869 sndcard (Murni & Hamid)
  Re: PC100 SDRAM (Rod Roark)
  Re: Linux on Dual Pentium-II machines ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: mouse, gpm and X (Murni & Hamid)
  Re: HP deskjet 710C support (Michael Van Donselaar)
  Remote printing problem (Keith Rhodes)
  How do I move linux? (Millinium Man)
  Re: SB 128 again (Joshua Martin)
  HELP!!! Cracking noise with sound card!!! (pika.pika)
  Re: Linux on Dual Pentium-II machines (bryan)
  Parallel port ZIP drive and ppa (Stefan Kunz)
  PC100 SDRAM ("Zachary C. Whitley")
  Re: However my ATI RAGE 128 AGP 8MB doesn´t work ("Carlo Leorini")
  Re: Linux on Dual Pentium-II machines (Rod Roark)
  Re: future domain 8 bit SCSI ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  older 586 laptop LCD trouble with X (CB)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (OMG)
Subject: sound working with static!!! HELP!!!
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 14:48:34 GMT

ok... did a seach of dejanews and not one reference to my problem...

i think its a unique hardware problem of mine but just in case some
kind soul has run across it too plz reply and help!!!

The sound card as it is is working but I get something like a soft
whirring sound from the speakers everyrtime the harddisk rotates.
and when some sound comes out its always a bit crackling.

This is the exact same problem I had with my win95 installation b4 I
installed the latest drivers from creative.

Funny thing is... the sound worked with just isapnptools and
sndconfig... didn't have to recompie the kernel or anything . btw my
system is a redhat6.0 box with sb64awe. But got a sound device busy
msg on bootup and an awe_wave.o missing msg too.

After recompiling the kernel I dont get the awe_wave.o missing message
anymore but the crackling problem and the device busy msg is still
there.

Anyone got an idea how to fix this????

been trying out linux for a week now and  looks promising... just need
to get sound and network going...

thx in advance!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan.J.Thackray)
Subject: Re: 3Com cards address reported wrong
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:17:31 GMT

I agree to turn off PnP features in your network card. Usually these
cards come with a utility which runs under DOS. ( 3c5x9cfg.exe ).

You may also turn off the PnP in the Motherboard BIOS.

Find an address/IRQ which is unused in your machine 280, or 300 Hex is
quites usually free, also IRQ 10 is not often used ( Check within
Windows ).
So set these in your card..

It looks to me like the "ff ff ff ff ff ff" should be the MAC address.
This should be the card's unique hardware ID, as is known on the
network !

The card address should be reported something like :=
eth0 3c905 at 0x0300, etc,etc address 3C 0D 56 F6 F7 , IRQ 10
(for instance )!

------------------------------

From: selious <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Token-ring cards
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:22:43 +0200

Fulajtar Pal wrote:

>    I have a 3com Velocity ISA16/4 token-ring card. Does anybody know,
> where can i find Linux driver for it?

I have the same card, and as far as I know it should be supported by the
IBM TokenRing driver. AsI recall, this card has several options (it can
emulate a IBM card or something). I do recall some
troubles to be expected with the TokenRing driver...

Good luck !!

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Who makes the best cases??
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 May 1999 12:38:48 -0400

"Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>    Boy are you right.  About 2 years ago, I found InWin cases.  They are
> import wholesale cases, and can be found in some of those "computer shops"
> in business complexes.  The nice thing is that the entire backplane slides
> out!  With cards attached!  While running, if you don't pass the limit of
> the cables.  It is also about 1 inch wider than most cases, and cools very
> well.  Mini tower at my wholesale shop is $69.  Cheap case is $49.

Having the backplane slide out is useless if you have a scsi controller with
internal cables (or a sound card, etc.), unless you have really long cables.  I
have two computers in InWin full tower cases.  While the case is better than
some other full tower cases, I am not overly impressed by the InWin.  I would
have prefered a case that you did not need a screwdriver to open.  Also, having
to remove the top panel and one of the side panels to get inside is funky
(though I guess it is better than cases where you have to remove both sides --
this way you don't need clearence on the other side).  Inside, they should have
had more racks to put more than 2 fans.  Having only one 3 1/4" slot (occupied
by the floppy) and five 5 1/2" slots is somewhat limiting if you are like me,
and insist each disk have cooling fans, and have scsi DAT and CDrom drives.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3

------------------------------

From: "Gary Maltzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Isapnp modems.
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:45:29 -0500

Did you try 'setserial /dev/cua3 port 0x2e8 irq 3' ?

Note: if cua1 (0x2f8) is already on IRQ 3 then this is probably a bad choice
for cua3.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Murni & Hamid)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: help to configure ESS1869 sndcard
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 01:15:58 +0800

Dunn one <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have this card  installed in my PC. I have RH5.2 installed. When I run
> sndconfig, the probe detects the sound card.  Everything seems to be
> fine until it tries to play a sample. I get the message:
> /lib/modules/preferred/misc/sb.o:init.module:Device or resource busy
> sound:Device or resource busy.
>
> Please, what can I do?I would appreciate any help. Thanks....

Use the isapnptools to configure your soundcard. I used to get it work
without isapnptools, but all the sudden, it gave me the same error you
were getting and by using isapnptools, I got mine to work again. Read
more about isapnptools inside /usr/doc/isapnptools* (no idea if this
package is installed automatically during the installation or you need
to manually install it). Btw, I did the following to get it to work
(from my memory since am not on my Linux):

# isapnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

I guess there is a script which check for existance of isapnp.conf and
executed it inside my /etc/rc.d/rc.*.

--
Murni Mahmud & Family

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PC100 SDRAM
Date: 17 May 1999 17:31:34 GMT

Zachary C. Whitley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Will the Intel 440LX chip set support PC100 SDRAM?
>
>I'm runnning an ASUS P2L97 and am looking to buy some
>SDRAM. PC100 has gotten so inexpensive I would rather
>use it so that I can upgrade to a 100Mhz FSB down the
>road.

Yes it works fine.  We use PC100 SDRAM with Socket 7 and Celeron LX
systems, both of which use 66 Mhz FSB.  With current prices it's silly
to do otherwise.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Subject: Re: Linux on Dual Pentium-II machines
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:57:39 GMT

According to bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I'll second the celeron idea.
>
> if you can get celeron 300a and the right slotket adapters, you can
> push them to 450 ea.

Personally, I recomend against over-clocking for serious work.
Pushing a 300a to 450 puts the chip *very* close to it's tolerances.
This may be fine for games where a slipped bit or a lockup doesn't
really hurt anything, but it is certainly *not* acceptable for
scientific numerical compulations.

-p.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Murni & Hamid)
Subject: Re: mouse, gpm and X
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 01:15:57 +0800

James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Try this, go to /usr/X11R6/bin do a "vi startx" right up toward the top of
> the file you see a command that starts something like "bin sh". Right
> before this first command  type "gpm -k" and save the file. I have a
> LogiTech 3 button mouse and I was having all kinds of problems getting it
> to work with all 3 buttons. I did the above fix and I haven't had a
> problem since, all three buttons work in X and all. I do get an error
> message when X first starts saying something like "gpm -k command not
> found" but it still works. If you want to get technical you could write
> the command the proper way (I'm a little lazy) just copy the first command
> you see in the startx file and substitute the path name for gmp and put
> "gpm -k" in there.

The above is surely not the right way to get your mouse working in X.
Surely your "gpm -k" doesn't work on your case since the command never
get executed. "gpm -k" will actually (if its work) kill the gpm daemon.
If you're using /dev/gpmdata as your device, the above will surely won't
work. To disable gpm, for RH user, just issue 'ntsysv' and unselect the
gpm entry, for others.. just search for gpm entry inside your rc.* or
delete it from any runlevel directories that has gpm inside it.

--
Murni Mahmud & Family

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Van Donselaar)
Subject: Re: HP deskjet 710C support
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:52:28 GMT

There is a black and white filter for it at

http://www.httptech.com/ppa/new.html

color support is still in beta.

You can share this printer out over SMB and use it from win95/98 boxen.  The win95 box
rasterizes
the page and sends the HUGE ppa protocol stream over the net.

------------------------------

From: Keith Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Remote printing problem
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:47:04 +0200

I have a problem with remote printing.

I have two systems:
a 120 MHz Pentium, called loxley
a 50 MHz 80486, called porter, that I want to use as a print server.

The two are connected by ethernet, I can telnet, ftp, NFS... so I know
the network is fine.

I've connected a Hewlett Packard LaserJet III to porter, and I can print
ASCII and PostScript locally without any problems.

Both are running RedHat 5.2, and I used the RedHat print setup tool. As
far as I can see, the /etc/printcap files look OK.

On loxley:

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default {}
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=porter:\
        :rp=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

On porter:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

(if you see +AFw- at the end of these lines, they should be
anti-slashes...)
However, when I try to print from loxley, the print jobs just get
queued, and never get to the printer.

$ lpq -Plp
loxley: waiting for queue to be enabled on porter
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       4    (standard input)                      16000 bytes
2nd    klrhodes   5    (standard input)                      16000 bytes

porter.sheffield: lpd: lp: Your host does not have line printer access

I've tried reading:

Managing Print Services in Running Linux (2nd edition)
the printing how-to
the print usage how-to

and can't seem to fix it.

On loxley,

# lpc status lp
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        waiting for queue to be enabled on porter

When I check on porter, I find that there is no daemon:

lpc> status
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present

and when I try to enable the daemon like this:

lpc> enable lp
lp:
        queuing enabled
lpc> status lp
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present

You see? The daemon is still not there! And so from loxley, there is no
change:

lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        waiting for queue to be enabled on porter

Still waiting for the daemon to be enabled, when I've just enabled it!!!

If anybody out there has any advice, you might just save the last of my
hair, before I tear it out!

Keith.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Millinium Man)
Subject: How do I move linux?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:46:16 GMT

Is there a safe and easy way to move a working linux to another hard
drive?  I have an 850mb as a file and internet server and I want to
move to a 2.1 Gb.  Is there an easy way to migrate to the new drive?

------------------------------

From: Joshua Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB 128 again
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:43:30 -0700

Try loading the oss emulation.
snd-pcm1-oss

This should take care of the problem
--Joshua Martin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: pika.pika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP!!! Cracking noise with sound card!!!
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:00:22 GMT

[...]

# pika.pika [o_0]
# mailTo : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
# ICQ#   : 6757204

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:30:07 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: According to bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

: > I'll second the celeron idea.
: >
: > if you can get celeron 300a and the right slotket adapters, you can
: > push them to 450 ea.

: Personally, I recomend against over-clocking for serious work.
: Pushing a 300a to 450 puts the chip *very* close to it's tolerances.

really?  in theory, I'd agree.  but with even modest cooling, my 2
asus systems have been running continuously for months.  and a newly
build tyan (also dual celeron) seems stable enough.  again, as long as
you have good cooling (heat grease and dual fan heatsink, along with
proper case cooling) you should be fine.

I consider the cel300a to be a stellar exception amongst chips.  it
has rules of its own - and they're in OUR favor ;-)

: This may be fine for games where a slipped bit or a lockup doesn't
: really hurt anything, but it is certainly *not* acceptable for
: scientific numerical compulations.

agreed, in general.  I guess that if your life/job depends on it, then
go SMP but don't overclock.  its a good compromise.

--
Bryan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:24:56 +0200
From: Stefan Kunz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Parallel port ZIP drive and ppa

A little question about ZIP drives at the parallel port.

I would like that the kernel daemon automatically loads the
parport and ppa modules whenever I mount my parallel-port ZIP drive.
I found the following solution for this purpose, but I doubt that it
is correct:

I changed in the /etc/conf.modules file the alias for block device 8

from : alias block-major-8 sd_mod
to   : alias block-major-8 ppa

It works. But...
- Is this the right way to do it, or is there a better solution ?
  (e.g. a post-install instruction; or a modprobe instruction
  in the boot.local file)

- Is the sd_mod module not necessary to access the ZIP drive ?
  (I thought ZIP drives are handled as SCSI devices) ?

Thank you for your help - Stefan
To my system : SW: I am using kernel 2.2.5 (SuSE distribution)
               HW: no SCSI adaptor installed

------------------------------

From: "Carlo Leorini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,es.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: However my ATI RAGE 128 AGP 8MB doesn´t work
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:12:00 +0200

Hello,

sorry, no other idea,

except : have recompiled lilo after your change ?
(with the command "lilo -v")

Bye!

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 17 May 1999 18:46:22 GMT

bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>: According to bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>: > I'll second the celeron idea.
>: >
>: > if you can get celeron 300a and the right slotket adapters, you can
>: > push them to 450 ea.
>: Personally, I recomend against over-clocking for serious work.
>: Pushing a 300a to 450 puts the chip *very* close to it's tolerances.

>really?  in theory, I'd agree.  but with even modest cooling, my 2
>asus systems have been running continuously for months.  and a newly
>build tyan (also dual celeron) seems stable enough.  again, as long as
>you have good cooling (heat grease and dual fan heatsink, along with
>proper case cooling) you should be fine.

It depends on the specific CPU more than special cooling.  Usually
they work fine with a bit of voltage tweaking, but some don't.  Just
because mine works great doesn't mean yours will.

What you want to do is overclock just a bit *over* 100 Mhz, run a few
kernel compiles, and see if it still works.  If it does, you can back
down to 100 Mhz and feel good about it.  If it works at 100 but not
103 or 105 or whatever, then keep it away from mission critical
applications.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: future domain 8 bit SCSI
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:08:50 GMT

In article <7hp17c$ap7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> I've got an old SCSC controller. It's a 8 Bit card TMC-850 by Future
> Domain. How is it to install under SuSE 6.0? Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
>  Stephan

eh there are drivers for these cards in the kernel source, I have a
845(??) model and I could never get it working under Linux but I tested
it with NT and it worked , but this was hm 20 production kernels ago at
least so maybe it'd work now?

gauze

======
www.rifug.org
Rhode Island Free Unix Group

Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:13:19 -0700
From: CB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: older 586 laptop LCD trouble with X

Trying to setup Linux on a 586 (P75) powered laptop with a Chips &
Technologies 65540/45 graphics chip using "generic" LCD panel setting.
This results in a display that is unusuably dim.  Any suggestions on the
path to a usable configuration?

Thanks,

CB

   http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!