Linux-Hardware Digest #257, Volume #11           Wed, 15 Sep 99 09:13:51 EDT

Contents:
  Re: How to copy files from FAT32 to linux partition ??? ("David Filipe Manuel")
  Re: Help with hardware, PLEASE!! (Thorsten Lange)
  Abit BP6 motherboard + RH6 can't see UDMA/66 C: (Robert McMillin)
  Re: Genius GE2500III PCI Ethernet Card ("John Clancy")
  Re: " No CDDB Entry" "Error Getting CDDB Entry" ??? (Detlef Gaisser)
  RedHat 6.0 & my VOODOO 3 AGP ("f Gimenez")
  Advantages for Linux over other OS ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can a Linux Expert Answer This?? (shoggoth)
  Re: Linux & smp (Thorsten Lange)
  Re: Help with hardware, PLEASE!! (Thorsten Lange)
  Re: Bttv drivers won' work ("Sr. D. Antonio Contreras")
  Re: AMD K6-2/300 (Jaakko Heikkila)
  How do I add & configure new hardware????? (Ziggy Stardust)
  Re: RW CD Rom drive (Brandon)
  Re: anyoen tried a BE6? (Brandon)
  Re: Modem Question. (Brandon)
  RH6 and Compaq Prosignia 300 SCSI (Nicholas Horwood)
  intel810 ("T.K")
  Re: Abit BP6 motherboard + RH6 can't see UDMA/66 C: (Brandon)
  FS:Cheap Pentium and Dual Pentium Machines for Linux (DeepSpace Technologies)
  Re: AMD K6-2/300 (Jaakko Heikkila)
  BP6 (Bergeron Bernard)
  Re: Help with hardware, PLEASE!! ("Robert Kaylor")

From: "David Filipe Manuel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to copy files from FAT32 to linux partition ???
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:32:15 +0100

pulsar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7rl2qi$3se$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Except those two partitions, I do posses a DOS16, on which I put files
> (XBF-i740-glibc ... which should persuade my AGP i740 to work with linux),
> but I can't red that from linux (not because it's impossible, but rather
my
> ignorance taken part in it)
>
> Somebody help, please

first the drivers for windows don 't work
second  go to linuxconfig and make the auto mount of the fat32

------------------------------

From: Thorsten Lange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with hardware, PLEASE!!
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:10:54 +0200

> In order to use it, you have to compile a new kernel with

The same goes for the zip-drive, the kernel must support it.

------------------------------

From: Robert McMillin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abit BP6 motherboard + RH6 can't see UDMA/66 C:
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 00:26:27 -0700

I have an Abit BP6 motherboard, and I'm trying to run Red Hat 6.0 on it.
I have a UDMA/66 C: drive that the motherboard BIOS seems to see okay (I
think -- it doesn't show up on the primary or secondary IDE ports, but
this box has four IDE ports -- two conventional and two UDMA/66). Does
anybody have experience with this motherboard/drive combination?

------------------------------

From: "John Clancy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Genius GE2500III PCI Ethernet Card
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:29:46 +0100

waid wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Is this network card supported by Linux.
>If so how do I get it to work, and what version does it need.
>
>Just installed Linux, so any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Paul
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have a couple of PCs running Linux (Red Hat 6.0) with GE2500III PCI
Ethernet cards - they work fine!

Configure them in the kernel as PCI NE2000 compatibles

John

------------------------------

From: Detlef Gaisser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: " No CDDB Entry" "Error Getting CDDB Entry" ???
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:50:24 +0200

Luckydaze1 wrote:
> Hmmm I'm not getting any sound thru my speakers even though the sound card is
> configured and the CD is playing. What do think the problem is then?  By the
> way thanks for the reply
Well I suppose you use the KDE Desktop.
Then first try to use the xqmixer app and check if the cd AND vol
channel is open.
Also play your CD with the kscd app.
(Sometimes some mixer apps and cd-player apps don't like each other)
And I think you know the SB 64 PCI needs active boxes.

------------------------------

From: "f Gimenez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.0 & my VOODOO 3 AGP
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:38:00 +0200

Hi there!
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to set up my video card, that is a
VooDoo 3 AGP with 16Mb for i couldn't find any driver allowing me to pass
the test nor to launch startX in more than 320*200 ? Do i Have to throw my
card and buy a new one ?
thanks..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Advantages for Linux over other OS
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:34:11 GMT

Hi,

May I ask if there is any links and sites that I can get more info on
this subject, on applications such as Process Control?

Thanks a lot!!

Best regards,

From: shoggoth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can a Linux Expert Answer This??
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 07:13:36 GMT

On 15 Sep 1999, Luckydaze1 wrote:

> When I  use the CD player in Suse 6.2 to play a music Cd, it uses my CDRW which
> is dev/hdc. I want the player to default to my CD Rom drive which is hdd.
> How do I do this? Please remember I'm a newbie to this. Thank you.

Try ln -sf /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom .

------------------------------

From: Thorsten Lange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & smp
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:42:22 +0200

Oh, and another thing I noticed is that the Linux kernel says at bootup
time "Intel MP Spec. bla V 1.1"!
Although, I read that Linux supports V1.1 AND V1.4, my MoBo (BP6) reports
V1.4, and NT4.0 also says it is MP V1.4. Now, what is that about?

------------------------------

From: Thorsten Lange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:08:07 +0200

Robert Kaylor wrote:

> I just installed redhat 6.0 and I am very much a newbie to Linux. It seems
> to be working just fine but I cant seem to figure out how to set up my
> modem, sound card, or my zip drive. All of which are very common brands and
> models, so I know linux must support them!! Can someone give me a little
> insight or direct me to some documentation on this matter. I'de really
> appreciate it!! Thanks

I don't know RedHat as I use SuSE, but at least for the soundcard, I can give
you a hint.
In order to use it, you have to compile a new kernel with "Sound support".
To get to the kernel configurstion in X, go to /usr/src/linux and say "make
xconfig".
You should also say "Yes" to Plug and Play support, if you are lucky, you
don't have to make use of "isapnp" at all.
Which soundcard do you own?
If you have further questions, don't hesitate to contact me.
I had a bad feeling when I compiled my first kernel.... but now, this is not a
very uncommon task to me! :-))

------------------------------

From: "Sr. D. Antonio Contreras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bttv drivers won' work
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:25:58 +0000

Ron Venema wrote:

> Hi all, I'm having a problem getting my TurboTV card working.
>
> When I do a insmod bttv.o I get the following errors:
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/bttv.o: unresolved symbol i2c_unregister_bus
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/bttv.o: unresolved symbol
> video_register_device
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/bttv.o: unresolved symbol
> video_unregister_device
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/bttv.o: unresolved symbol i2c_register_bus
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/bttv.o: unresolved symbol i2c_control_device
>
> I don't understand why make modules would not have croaked when I
> recompiled the kernel?

All these messages tells you that modules were not loaded in the right
sequence.
 bttv module needs previous load of videodev and i2c modules, and you
also need to load tuner module after bttv.
 bttv and tuner usually needs some options.
 To automatize the loading of modules you'll have to insert some lines
at /etc/conf.modules

bye.
Antonio Contreras

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jaakko Heikkila)
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2/300
Date: 15 Sep 1999 11:46:31 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware OldUncleMe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> IIRC, the AFR designation on the  k6-2(300) means it tops out at 66mhz bus
> speed.  This is for the cpu, and would be true used on any motherboard.
> OTOH, I had one of the non-bus-speed limited 300's and it was fast as any
> procesor I've had and stable even at 100mhz fsb....          /ts

Oops! I have taken wrong markings (don't ask how). Real date code seems to be
9833BPFW. Year 98, week 33.

--
Jaakko

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ziggy Stardust)
Subject: How do I add & configure new hardware?????
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:03:21 GMT

I've just installed Redhat 6.0, but the installation couldn't find my
network-card (RealTek8019, ISA). After the installation I found a driver on
the disk that came with the card, but I don't know what to do with it, and
there is no documentation on the disk.
The files within the tar-archive are called: config.in, makefile, rtl8019.c,
space.c . Is there some sort of hardware configuration-"program" or what
should I do.

I would much appriciate some help

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 05:10:43 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RW CD Rom drive

tons of posts relate to this....answer is easy to find, it's yes.

if it didnt work in linux that would (in my mind) mean linux cant find
it....if linux coudlnt find it then how could it be affected by it?

u will have to do different steps to seting up your cdrw depending on
whether its an ide or scsi drive....based on ur pc though i doubt its
scsi unless u got it separate from the comp.

brandon

--

"Bill Gates?, I dont know any Bill Gates.  Oh, you mean 'by putting
every conceivable

                  http://web.mountain.net/~brandon/main.htm
     For Beginners in Linux, Emulation, Midis, Playstation Info, and
Virii.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 06:10:44 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: anyoen tried a BE6?

Great board.  I got it with my PIII 450. Im overclocking to 504, works
nicely.  Came with temp sensor program on the cd so i can monitor to
temp, fan speed, and voltages in windows or in the CMOS.

Very nice, plus u can have 8 ide devices attachedw/o additional cards
and its cheap too. I paid $114 for mine.

Brandon

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 06:07:19 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem Question.

I bought a Modem Blaster.  AFter 5 min of working with it in linux i
realized it was probably a winmodem. I didnt get any response from it.
I got one from actiontec.com.  Cost $105 but its worth it, has some nice
features.

Brandon

From: Nicholas Horwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6 and Compaq Prosignia 300 SCSI
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:37:33 +0100

I'm having trouble installing RedHat 6 on a Compaq Prosignia 300 with a
SCSI bus.
I can boot off the install boot disk, finds the CD-ROM and I can partition
using fdisk. Swap space is formatted, but then is hangs on 'Making ext2
filesystem on /dev/sda2'

The console says

'Superblock backups stored on blocks:
 -a huge list of numbers here-

Writing inode tables: 30/109'

then is hangs.
I can change vt's but nothing happens.

Another terminal says 'detected non SMP capable motherboard' if it helps.

oh, and I've tried this on two seperate SCSI HDD's, although identical
(Fujistu for Compaq, one gig)

Has anyone had similar probs and found why?
Anyone has advice?

cheers

Nicholas Horwood

------------------------------

From: "T.K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: intel810
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:54:09 +0900

Where can I find the driver?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 05:16:20 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit BP6 motherboard + RH6 can't see UDMA/66 C:

Hi Rob,

Someone posted this problem a while back. I happened to have saved the
link they gave to goto to download drivers for the new UDMA ports.  Go
here: http://opensource.captech.com/LinuxIDE/

I haven't tried it myself or looked it over much though. Let me know how
it goes ok?

Brandon

Subject: FS:Cheap Pentium and Dual Pentium Machines for Linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DeepSpace Technologies)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:23:28 GMT

We have a large number of DEC P90 and Dual P90 machines They make great Linux
boxes and back to school machines. They also were originally made to run
Nextstep/Openstep/Windows NT(Nextstep/Openstep were single processor only).
Specs are below(For further information we have a complete manual online under
the Specs & Info section):

DEC Celebris XL P90
90mhz Pentium mid tower with dual capability(Socket 5),
32mb memory,
onboard 53C810 SCSI 2 port,
Cogent e+  ethernet LAN combo,
Sound blaster Vibra 16 sound card,
2mb Diamond Viper 64 video card,
3.5" floppy,
Keyboard and Mouse

Price $75.00 each **Quantity Pricing Available**

DEC Celebris XL P90
DUAL 90mhz Pentium chips(Socket 5) mid tower,
32mb memory,
onboard 53C810 SCSI 2 port,
Cogent e+  ethernet LAN combo,
Sound blaster Vibra 16 sound card,
2mb video card,
3.5" floppy,
Keyboard and Mouse

Price $90.00 **Quantity Pricing Available**

We have 1000s of Digital monitors forsale(Cables included). These are some of
the finest monitors we have ever had. Part numbers are as follows(We also have
specs on some of these under the Specs & Info section of our website):

VRT-17HA(beige) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 100+ in stock
PCXBV-KA(beige) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 100+ in stock
PCXBV-ZA(beige) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 300+ in stock
PCXBV-FZ(white) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 500+ in stock
PCXBV-JZ(white) 1280 X 1024 $149.00 each 100+ in stock
VRC-16HA(beige) 1280 X 1024 $ 99.00 each 100+ in stock

We accept VISA, MC and AMEX

DeepSpace Technologies, LLC
7311 Grove Rd.
Suite A-1
Frederick, MD 21701

301-663-3033
301-620-9634(fax)

"http://www.deepspacetech.com/"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jaakko Heikkila)
Date: 15 Sep 1999 12:18:36 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware JL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> More likely you have a motherboard with flaky components on it. Windows has
> grossly inferior error reporting (I think by design), so its likely that at
> least some of your Windows problems have hardware issues at the root of them
> as well.

> You should first move to a distrib with a 2.2.x kernel (like RH6.0), which
> supports the K6 better than 2.0.x kernels.

Now I have AMD K2-350 attached. I fixed file system and installed RH6. So far
everything seems to work fine. I have to try K2-300 once again before I throw
it away...

--
Jaakko

------------------------------

From: Bergeron Bernard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BP6
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:04:04 +0200

My Mother bioard is  a ABIT BP6
I can't get any of my IDE HDs working on the UDMA66 ports recognized...
(even in UDMA 33 using the UDMA 33 cable)....
What to do?

From: "Robert Kaylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:46:25 GMT

Thanks for the advice. As for the sound card, it is a sound blaster live
value. I have not had a chance to try your suggestion yet, but I'll give it
a try this evening. Thanks again!!

 Robert