Linux-Hardware Digest #279, Volume #10           Thu, 20 May 99 07:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Intellipoint mouse on SuSE (John Sims)
  Re: PCI Modem - lost cause? ("Roberto Leibman")
  IDE faster than SCSI UW? (Andy Longton)
  modem trouble (Dharmesh Patel)
  Netscape 5.0 and libstdc++ 2.8 (Rich Cox)
  Intel Anypoint Support ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Building a small linux box (Paul Rubin)
  Modemcard under Linux/KDE ("Florian Thiel")
  Re: How to change date...? ("M.C. van den Bovenkamp")
  Dual screen (GATTI Marc)
  Re: Dual screen (Brett Neely)
  How to change date...? (Theekshana)
  Re: Trident 3Dimage specs or XF86 (Dan LaPine)
  Re: Building a small linux box (**Nick Brown)
  Linux - Windows killer? (Greg Crockart)
  Re: OT: How do you pronounce Llinux??  Was Re: softk56 modems - English.au (0/1)
(CodeWright)
  Help with modem setup ("Stephen Workman")
  Re: Init string for Sportster 56K External (John)
  Re: G200 or TNT? (damn, I hate asking questions like this) (Grzegorz Grudzinski)
  Re: G200 or TNT? (damn, I hate asking questions like this) (Igor Zlatkovic)
  M-Systems DiskOnChip with linux (Hannu Lehtonen)
  Re: Help with modem setup (Wilfried Noell)
  Re: AGP only at 8bpp?! (John Thompson)
  Epson Stylus Color 900 under Linux (Darian Stibbe)

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:28:26 -0700
From: John Sims <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intellipoint mouse on SuSE

I've recently installed SuSE 6 on  my machine, where I have a Microsoft
Intellimouse installed.  The problem is, when I tell SAX that I have
this mouse, the protocol is wrong, and the cursor flits back and forth
across the top of the screen.  I have to tell SAX it's a generic PSAUX
mouse, where it works fine, but I don't have the scroll wheel
functionality.  Can anyone point me to a resource for this problem?

TIA!
John

------------------------------

From: "Roberto Leibman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PCI Modem - lost cause?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:50:51 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7hulmp$1f6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <7hgvds$n38$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Roberto Leibman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >So, all this talk about winmodems, sounds like a challenge to an
experienced
> >linux driver programmer out there! Isn't it just a matter of figuring out
> >what the modem is expecting the OS to do?
>
> They're all different.  However, if somebody could come up with a USR
driver
> it would take care of a big chunk of them.  The party that needs to
deliver
> this driver, or at least the design specifications, is 3COM.  Write them a
> letter.  Everybody.  A nice letter.
>
> On the other hand, "what the modem is expecting the OS to do" also raises
> philosophical disagreement.  It's not the OS's responsibility to be part
> of a peripheral.  For this reason, probably nobody who *can* would be
working
> on it.

I have to disagree with this, as the constraint in computing power moves
around, from i/o bound to processor bound to memory bound to disk bound to
bandwith bound, the "right" partitioning philosophy changes as well. I think
we are at a time where we most people have a lot of extra capacity in their
CPU's (most of the time anyway), it makes engineering sense to download some
of the processing chore to the less stressed CPU, particularly if this can
bring the price of the peripherals down. System partitioning does not have
hard rules such as "It's not the OS's responsibility", granted modularity
should be sought after, but other things do enter the equation. Also,
remember that 3COM (and others) are in business to make money, not to cater
to "fringe" markets, I don't blame them for producing the WinModem, It's a
GREAT idea on their part, I do blame computer makers for not clearly stating
that its what in the box when you buy it clearly stating that you *want* to
install Linux on it! We might be unhappy about it, but think of how many
people have gotten access to the net with the savings that WinModem's
produce!

------------------------------

From: Andy Longton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE faster than SCSI UW?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:54:21 -0400

I've got a puzzler.  A new 10 GB UDMA IDE drive is showing up as faster
than both of my 4.5 GB UW drives.  Is this right?

Pointers to any tuning or performance resources would be appreciated.

I've searched quite a bit so far, and have come up empty handed.

Details...

Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI
P2B system board (PII 450)

/dev/hda = IBM model DTTA-351010, 10.1 GB, 5400 RPM
/dev/sda = Quantum Viking SCA -w- UW adapter, 4.5 GB, 5400 RPM
/dev/sdb = IBM model DDRS-34560, 4.5 GB, 7200 RPM

Typical results from running hdparm -tT on an idle system...

# ./hdparm -tT /dev/hda /dev/sda /dev/sdb
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:  64 MB in 0.54 seconds =118.52 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in 2.65 seconds =12.08 MB/sec
/dev/sda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:  64 MB in 0.54 seconds =118.52 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in 3.14 seconds =10.19 MB/sec
/dev/sdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:  64 MB in 0.53 seconds =120.75 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  2.88 seconds =11.11 MB/sec

Note: In no test did /dev/hdb perform better than /dev/hda for disk
reads.

------------------------------

From: Dharmesh Patel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem trouble
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:54:20 +0530

Hi,
    I'm a beginer in Linux.. I  am using KDE .I'm trying to go online
via the KPPP setup. The problem is that Quering the modem only gives me
either "Modem not found" or "Modem busy" I have tried all the ports(
although I'm using com2 ie.ttyS1). Also I face a similar problem on NT
which of course detects the modem but has a conflict with the IRQ of the

mouse. I really doubt that I have a hardware proble as all else works
fine under Win98. I really have no one else to ask. I hope you solve
this problem of mine.I'm using:
PII-266, 64 MB RAM, 10.5GB seagate IDE drive and an Intel BX
motherboard.
Thanking you ,
Dharmesh
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Rich Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape 5.0 and libstdc++ 2.8
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 00:56:15 -0700

Hi again all!

I'm trying to install Netscape 5.0, but when I try to run it I get an
error that says I need libstdc++.so.2.8    I have ver 2.7, and 2.9, but
not 2.8  :<

I've searched all over for a prebuilt RPM, but all I can find is the
source for the libraries.  Where can I get an RPM?  Thanks!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Intel Anypoint Support
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:06:14 GMT

Just out of curiosity, is anybody working on or have
working support for those Intel Anypoint home
networking adapters? I have a few computers spread
over several floors of my house and would like to
link them into my home office network. Thanks
for any tips.

--
John B. Lee, Undergraduate
Social and Decision Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Rubin)
Subject: Re: Building a small linux box
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 07:58:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Mellinger  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I want to build a Linux box that fits in a small case that I can stick
>out of the way, stuck in a corner somewhere.  It will be left on 24x7,
>so I like it to be quiet and consume as little power as possible.  It
>will contain a CD-ROM drive and 1 large EIDE drive.  A motherboard
>with onboard video and Ethernet would be desirable.  Finally, I'd like
>to keep the price to around $400.  Any recommendations?

Scrounge an old laptop (easier if you don't really need the CD).
It will not only have onboard video, but also a built-in console
(keyboard and screen) and built-in UPS (battery).  You'll have
to add a PCMCIA ethernet card, but those are easy to find.
Look on misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.portables.
There should be lots of 486-class units in your price range.

------------------------------

From: "Florian Thiel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Modemcard under Linux/KDE
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:31:28 +0200

Hi !

I'm new at linux. Its very good, but I've problem with my modem card. It's
an ISA-Card under Win98 at COM2:. Only Linux want detect it.

I'm very glad about tips

Thanx

Florian

------------------------------

From: "M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to change date...?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:02:24 +0200

Theekshana wrote:

> Can somebody tell me how I should change the date in my linux box. I've
> tried out date command. It changes the date and time till the next
> reboot. when I reboot the system, the date changes again. Is there any
> way I can change the CMOS date from Linux? (not from the bios)

Look at /sbin/clock. (/sbin/clock -w or -uw if you keep your CMOS clock
in UTC).

                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        CIO EMEA Network Design Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS BGK 25
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724
        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: GATTI Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual screen
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:36:20 +0200

Hi,
I would like to handle two monitors at the same time with Linux Red Hat
5.1.
I have an ATI RAGE PRO (AGP) graphic card and a Diamond Stealth II S220
(PCI).
Is it possible to do this with these two cards, or do I need an another
couple of cards?
If it is possible, what is the process?
You can reply at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thank you.

------------------------------

From: Brett Neely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual screen
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 02:16:44 -0700

XFree86 version 3.x does not include "multi-head" support; currently you
need a commercial X server for this.  Version 4.x of XFree86 will
include multi-head support.  You can find out more at:

http://www.xfree86.org (XFree86 Project)
http://www.xig.com (Xi Graphics, developers of the Accelerated-X
commercial X server)
http://www.metrolink.com (Metro Link, developers of the Metro-X
commercial X server)

--
Brett Neely, Technical Support Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
415.354.4878 x505 tel, 415.701.7457 fax

------------------------------

From: Theekshana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to change date...?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:47:11 +0600

Can somebody tell me how I should change the date in my linux box. I've
tried out date command. It changes the date and time till the next
reboot. when I reboot the system, the date changes again. Is there any
way I can change the CMOS date from Linux? (not from the bios)

Thankx,

ticks

------------------------------

From: Dan LaPine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trident 3Dimage specs or XF86
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:46:30 -0500

steve epstein wrote:

> Does anyone know the settings for the Trident 3Dimage 985(0)?
> I have X up and running, but only in a VGA mode. Will it emulate any of the
> existing Trident cards?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve Epstein
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

running RH6.0 with the 3dImage9850 7 optiquest V773 monitor:
Using the default install for X, I had to select both 800x600 AND 1024x768
to get the 1024x768 mode to work.

After reboot, login and startx, the system starts in 800x600 mode.
I press ctrl+alt+'+' on the keypad to switch to the higher resolution.

If you are not using RH6.0, email me, and I'll send you my modelines for
the card.

Dan LaPine

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:31:22 +0200

Go down to Cash Convertors (no, seriously) and check out what they
have.  I get second-hand mobo's, video cards, CR drives, etc there.
Warranty ranges from 48 hours (well, you can get it home and check it
isn't DOA) to a year.  Last week I got an old-style Pentium mobo for
$15.  Add a Winchip ($27 from krex.com) and you're in business at 200
MHz.  A 2 MB video board is about $20.  A 2 GB IDE disk is about $40.

Michael Mellinger wrote:

> I want to build a Linux box that fits in a small case that I can stick
> out of the way, stuck in a corner somewhere.  It will be left on 24x7,
> so I like it to be quiet and consume as little power as possible.  It
> will contain a CD-ROM drive and 1 large EIDE drive.  A motherboard
> with onboard video and Ethernet would be desirable.  Finally, I'd like
> to keep the price to around $400.  Any recommendations?

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)int)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: Greg Crockart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux - Windows killer?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:41:31 +0100

If you're interested in Linux, this is quite cool.
>From Wednesday 19th Silicon.com is taking an in depth look at the future
of Linux - http://www.silicon.com/linuxweek.

In addition to all of the latest Linux and Open Source news, you can
watch exclusive interviews with leading lights from the Linux community
including Miguel de Icaza, father of GNOME and Eric Raymond, who's
stepping out of the Linux limelight. You can also check out the results
of the Silicon.com poll on whether Linux is ready for corporate use at
http://www.silicon.com/linuxweek.

Silicon.com will also be interviewing corporates that already have moved
over to Linux and will be debating key issues including:

- Will developer in-fighting damage Linux?
- Can Microsoft quash Linux?
- Why isn't Linux taking off in the corporate environment now that it
has decent services and support?

If you've got anything you want to see covered you can email the Silicon
editorial team at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks and enjoy the special!

------------------------------

From: CodeWright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: How do you pronounce Llinux??  Was Re: softk56 modems - English.au
(0/1)
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 19:50:41 -0400

When I started this thread, I had no idea that I was starting such a
controversy  ;-)

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike) writes:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > Here you have Linus telling you how to pronounce Linux.
>
> that's nice, but we are not talking about *linux*.  we were wondering
> how to pronounce *llinux*.  please notice the double L.  see the
> subject!
>
> i think it should go like ll in llama (the spanish LL, the english Y
> consonant sound and german J sound).  btw i think llamas are cool.

I favour the Welsh Ll ('hchl') sound as in Lloyd (sometimes
mispronounced
as 'FLoyd') and Llewelyn. But then again, I'm biased ;-)

--
Llewelyn (Lew) Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Workman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: Help with modem setup
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:52:49 +0100

Could someone please tell me what to do to set up my modem.

I've got Redhat 5.1, and an internal 56K modem, but I can't get access to
it.  The modem FAQ was of little use, and I don't know what to configure, or
what to compile into the kernel to get it going.

Please help!

Stephen.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:16:22 -0600
From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Init string for Sportster 56K External

AK wrote:

> I am using my USR Sportster 56K Data/Fax external modem with Red Hat
> 6.0. It works, and although it claims to be connecting at 38000 (best
> speed on my crappy phone lines), the download rates rarely exceed 500
> bytes/sec.
>
> I have been trying to build a new init string to solve this problem,
> without success. Has anyone ever configured this modem for Linux? Any
> advice?
>
> Also, if I wanted to get an internal PCI modem, what would be a good
> choice?
>
> AK

I had the same modem and nothing but trouble, now I exchanged it for
anAOpen FM56-ITU/2 internal, it smokes.
But it would be a good idea to call your ISP  to find out what modem
they suggest, also check your /etc/ppp/options. I entered: lock
                crtcts
                defaultroute

You might need something different.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grzegorz Grudzinski)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: G200 or TNT? (damn, I hate asking questions like this)
Date: 20 May 1999 05:30:05 GMT

Jacek Pliszka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> pisze:
>On 18 May 1999, Mark Hahn wrote:
>
>> | The S3 virge DX is a great choice for about $20.00 US 4MB 100 percent
>> | linux compatable with the SVGA driver
>> | and based on the 375 chipset
>>
>> they're fine, but VERY slow (ie, .25) relative to a G200 or TNT.
>
>Not VERY. Unless you play Quake you do not feel it.
>S3 Virge is accelerated while TNT is not.

Huh? In XFree, TNT is properly accelerated.

>I would go with S3 Virge as long as resolution is not higher
>than 1024x768x65k.

Well, but nowadays large monitors are relatively cheap and buying a new card
which you would not like to use with a larger monitor is a rather
short-sighted decision, isn't it?

Best,
-- Grzes
Grzegorz Grudzinski     Institute of Informatics, Warsaw University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        http://zls.mimuw.edu.pl/~gsg/

------------------------------

From: Igor Zlatkovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:25:21 +0000

If you are seeking for the monitor, stick with Nokia, as Michael said.

Nokia 446Xpro is the best one of all I saw, and I did see a lot. The only monitor
that can be compared with Nokia is ViewSonic P815, but that's 21inch display.

Be warned, Nokia is damn good, but also damn expensive.

Daniel Bonds wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I think I might end up
> sticking with the Mill G200 as it seems to be well supported in X
> (which was my main concern) in addition to being known for good 2D
> (the part I already knew). Heck, I think I saw it one
> www.killerapp.com for ~$70, so that'll work for me.
>
> Just to fill in some gaps, in case anyone cares :-), the "old" system
> is a P133, but that might get a cheap upgrade (Celeron or K6)
> depending on how processor intensive my Linux use turns out to be. I'm
> mainly looking for a good high res (19" monitor with *at least*
> 1280x1024) X card with 3D accel being a bonus, but not really a
> factor.
>
> It's amazing how much better the newsgroup response is here than in
> some of the other OS newsgroups. Still can't get my '98 system to
> defrag. :-)
>
> Thanks again,
> Daniel
> dbonds at bbnow.net
>
> On Tue, 18 May 1999 19:23:31 -0700, Marcus Lauer
> >        Here are some arguments for the G200.  Comments would be appreciated,
> >especially if I'm blatantly wrong (though be gentle, eh?)

     O       Cheers,
  ______O___
  \________/   Igor Zlatkovic
   \   o  /    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    \ O  /
     \  /
      \/
      ||       University of Applied Sciences
   ___||___    Frankfurt, Germany, EU.

------------------------------

From: Hannu Lehtonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M-Systems DiskOnChip with linux
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:18:20 +0300

Hi !!

Has anyone got large M-Systems DiskOnChip working with Linux?
I have got TrueFFS driver as a compiled module from M-Systems but it
works just with 2 MB DiskOnChip, not with 112 MB.
Other sizes I haven't tried.

Hannu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:27:47 +0200
From: Wilfried Noell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Help with modem setup

Hi,

you have to set a link in the /dev directory from the modem serial port to a
device "/dev/modem".
If you want to serve the internet you have to configure the PPP or SLIP protocol
with
linuxconf. (Look up the linuxconf pages on the RedHat homepage)

the crucial command to start a PPP conection can be done with
/bin/ifup ppp0
where ppp0 is defined with linuxconf.
To get offline type
ifdown ppp0

There is pretty much info on that in the HOW-TO docs AND on the redhat homepage
on HOW to set up a modem! It is worthwhile reading it !!!

Regards
Wilfried

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.sources.kernel,linux.dev.kernel,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: AGP only at 8bpp?!
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:14:05 -0600

KrayZ wrote:

> Where can I find the XBF_i740 server???
> I'm searching at XFree86 FTP I I don't find it!!!

I picked it up from:

http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/ByName.html

I think it's also available from ftp.redhat.com but my
experience is that it's often hard to connect to the redhat
site.  Apparently the driver was written by Precision
Insight and it may also be available at their web site.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Darian Stibbe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson Stylus Color 900 under Linux
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:35:12 +0200

Is anyone successfully using the Epson Stylus Color 900 under Linux. If
so, which uniprint .uup configuration files are you using, and how is
the quality?

Regards,
Darian Stibbe