Linux-Hardware Digest #279, Volume #9            Wed, 27 Jan 99 06:13:42 EST

Contents:
  Reveal SC400 and sbpcd drivers (Paradox)
  S: Bios-Driver (Eric Wick)
  Re: realaudio heavy CPU loading (Daniel R Creveling)
  Re: realaudio heavy CPU loading (Daniel R Creveling)
  Re: New modem question. (Scott Alfter)
  Re: iMac vs PC (Miguel Cruz)
  Re: realaudio heavy CPU loading (Daniel R Creveling)
  Re: Compaq 5220, SuperDisk Drive and Linux (garv)
  Re: TV tuner cards (Darren Enns)
  need terminal emulator for "com port" for redhat 5.2 (dan)
  Re: Modem volume ("Ben Goble, Lakewood Colorado")
  ftape - difficulties with floppy controller (Dr. Dirk Melcher)
  Re: Sound card opti931 problem -- help! (Donovan Baarda)
  3C905 Problems: Card Does Not Function Under 2.2.0! (John Rinderle)
  How to add new Video Driver to earlier version of XFree86 ("fred mertz")
  Re: a VERY GOOD NEW!?/?/?/ (Mark Ramos)
  Re: AOPEN AW180 ESS Solo1 sound card and linux 2.2final (Richy Kim)
  Re: Maxtor Diamond Max 13.6 (Tim Moore)
  Re: Any Microcontollers can run the Linux OS
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use) (Shaun Lipscombe)
  Re: linux max RAM is 1GB? (John Cochran)
  linux max RAM is 1GB? (Mark Ramos)
  Re: Problem with Jaton67P and X-window ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Support for Re-Writable CDRom's? (Dan Miller)
  Re: aha1542cf not detected ("news")
  Re: LCD Panels: XFree86 & Linux Look Great! (koen Gadeyne)
  Re: Modem volume ("Edward M. Vale")

From: Paradox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Reveal SC400 and sbpcd drivers
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 06:45:56 GMT

I have a reveal SC400 sound card with a panasonic interface CDROM on it,
the sbpcd driver won't probe it, i don't know the baseport io of the
panasonic controler or if it needs software to enable the panasonic
controler. I have a teac 8bit panasonic controler that i get running
fine, it finds it no prob, however, it won't find the one on the SC400
(i have a stack-o-cdroms that i'm gonna put in it). Has anyone gotten
sbpcd cdroms to work with the SC400 card?

thanks

Dave

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick)
Subject: S: Bios-Driver
Date: 27 Jan 1999 06:46:26 GMT

Hello,

is there a driver for Linux, that use the Bios-Routines to drive the Harddisk
in the System?

Bye Bye
Eric Wick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel R Creveling)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: realaudio heavy CPU loading
Date: 27 Jan 1999 07:11:48 GMT

I don't think it's your hardware.  I had the same problem
with RealAudio on my K6-233 and on some Dell's at school.
When the machines are running Windows everything is fine,
but when you play the same .rm file in Linux the machine just
about crashes.  I think the Linux version of RealAudio is
just not up to speed with the other (Mac & Windows) versions.

Of course, if anyone knows how to fix this problem then
please help me too!

Dan

Kelvin Leung ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello,

: I got my RH 5.2 running with Ensoniq PCI sound card. I have the alsa
: sound driver works fine. Both X11amp and Realaudio can produce sound
: out. But the RealAudio heavily load my CPU (K6-166 overclocked to 200).
: The audio is interrupted everytime I change to another window , or
: browsing within Netscape. I got the CPU load monitor fire up and it
: seems the CPU is fully occupied! I don't think it's the CPU problem 'cos
: I don't have problem with X11amp, also the Realaudio (not G2) in Windows
: in the same machine. Is that a fact or just my system doing weird!?

: Kelvin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel R Creveling)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 27 Jan 1999 07:19:09 GMT

I don't think it's your hardware.  I have the same problem
on my K6-233 and on some dell's at school.  When the
machines are running Windows everything is fine, but when
I play the same .rm file on Linux and the machine just about
crashes.  I have only used RealPlayer on RedHat though, so
maybe it's a problem specific to RH.  I'll have to try it on
a different distribution.  I really think that the Linux
version of RealPlayer is just not up to speed with the rest
of the versions (Win and Mac).

Just my $0.02,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Subject: Re: New modem question.
Date: 26 Jan 1999 22:54:39 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dae  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need a suggestion for a external 56k modem that will work on Linux,
>Mac, and Wintel boxes.

Nearly any external modem should work.  The only ones I can think of that
wouldn't would be some Mac-only models that got their power (and sometimes
transferred data) through the ADB port.

It's not a Mac, but all three of the external modems I have (a really old
SupraFaxModem V.32bis, a not-so-old SupraFaxModem 288, and a fairly recent
US Robotics Sportster Voice 56K) work on my Apple IIGS as well as they do on
my two x86 boxen (one of which runs Linux and the other dual-boots Win98 and
Linux).  (OK, so the USR won't do V.90 on the GS (serial port maxes out at
38.4kbps), but it'll do V.34.  It's better than not working at all.  That
modem "belongs" to the Linux box, though...it does voice, fax, and data on
one line, and vgetty runs a hell of a lot better than the Win9x software
(RapidComm Voice) that USR ships with the modem.)

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (salfter at (die spammers die!) delphi dot com)
 \_^_/  http://people.delphi.com/salfter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Subject: Re: iMac vs PC
Date: 27 Jan 1999 07:03:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brandon  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> the i Macs dont have floppy drives built in
> which must be one of the stupidest moves in this century, computer wise
> other than bill gates being born that is

I haven't used a floppy drive in years. Software comes on CD-ROM. Once you
get used to using the Internet to move things round, floppies become really
pointless.

miguel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel R Creveling)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 27 Jan 1999 07:21:05 GMT

Sorry about the multiple posts.  It seemed to me at first
that my first one didn't go through.  Sorry.

Dan

From: garv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq 5220, SuperDisk Drive and Linux
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:42:40 GMT

Pierre Rochefort wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I just bought a Compaq 5220 (AMD-K6-2 380) with a SuperDisk Drive that
> doubles as a floppy drive. I am trying to install the slakware

You don't say what kernel.  2.0.36  works with my super, no complie needed.
Red Hat 5.2.
If your cdrom is bootable, you might get it that way.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Enns)
Subject: Re: TV tuner cards
Date: 26 Jan 1999 17:24:05 -0600

I used Linux 2.0.34.  I have become overwhelmed by the
apparent effort that I will require in order to set
up my Hauppauge card in Linux.  I do not see any
'complete and easy' documentation for how to set it
up.  Is it possible that there is an RPM out there
with compiled binaries that I can just load up?

Dare

--
Darren Enns
EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need terminal emulator for "com port" for redhat 5.2
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:40:21 -0600

i have been using the command    cu -l /dev/cua1  to do terminal
emulation
on comport 1.
this has been working  with rh5.1 when i rlogin to the machine with the
com port
and then run the cu as mentioned above.
with rh 5.2, if i am on the console of the machine,  the cu command
works,
but if i rlogin/telnet to the machine the cu command only seems to
display
what is received on the com port, and doesn't send any keystrokes to the
comport

any ideas what is going on ?

i permisions wide open on /dev/cua1 (rwx for everyone)

thanks,
dan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:55:31 -0700
From: "Ben Goble, Lakewood Colorado" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem volume

Ben wrote:

> While I am able to dial-up in Linux with no hassles, I am unable to turn
> off the dialing tone (no volume control on my modem). Redhat 5.2 lists my
> modem init string as ATZ, and the dialing commnad as ATDT. The modem
> manual lists the volume string as M0. However, knowing this has not
> enabled me to turn it off. Could someone please help me with sending the
> string to the modem.

It would be helpful if you mentioned what communication program you are
using -Seyon, minicom, pcomm or ??  Have you looked at the man page info
on the communication program you are using?
--
Ben Goble  Lakewood,  Colorado  USA
bgoble at uswest dot net  bgoble at nyx dot net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr. Dirk Melcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misac
Subject: ftape - difficulties with floppy controller
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:40:02 +0100

Hi everybody,

I have difficulties with ftape and my floppy streamer (Kernel 20.0.35).
When I try to use
the ftape device I get the following lines in /var/log messages:

ftape-2.08 960314

Jan 25 14:52:50 darkstar kernel:  (c) 1993-1995 Bas Laarhoven
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Jan 25 14:52:50 darkstar kernel:  (c) 1995-1996 Kai Harrekilde-Petersen
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Jan 25 14:52:50 darkstar kernel:  (c) 1996-1997 Claus Heine
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Jan 25 14:52:50 darkstar kernel:  QIC-117 driver for QIC-40/80/3010/3020
tape drives
Jan 25 14:52:50 darkstar kernel:  Compiled for kernel version 2.0.36
Jan 25 14:52:50 darkstar kernel: [000]    fdc-io.c (fdc_config) - Using
the standard fdc controller.
Jan 25 14:52:50 darkstar kernel: [001]      fdc-isr.c (fdc_isr) -
unexpected stray interrupt.
Jan 25 14:52:50 darkstar kernel: [002]    fdc-io.c (fdc_probe) - Type
82077AA FDC found.
Jan 25 14:52:52 darkstar kernel: [003]   ftape-ctl.c
(ftape_activate_drive) - drive wakeup
          method: Colorado.
Jan 25 14:53:38 darkstar kernel: [004]
          ftape-io.c (ftape_set_data_rate) - post QIC-117B drive @ 1
Mb/s.
Jan 25 14:53:38 darkstar kernel: [005]
ftape-io.c (ftape_set_data_rate) - 307 ft. QIC-80 tape.
Jan 25 14:55:06 darkstar kernel: [006]       fdc-io.c (fdc_result) - fdc
not ready.
Jan 25 14:55:06 darkstar kernel: [007]      fdc-isr.c (fdc_isr) -
probably fatal error
         during FDC Result Phase.
Jan 25 14:55:06 darkstar kernel: [008]      fdc-isr.c (fdc_isr) - drive
may hang until
       (power) reset :-(

Under Win95 with the standard backup software of MS I don't have
difficulties, so the hardware seems to be ok.

Does anybody have a hint what's going wrong and how to fix it?
Thanks in advance,

Dirk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Baarda)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound card opti931 problem -- help!
Date: 27 Jan 1999 07:42:20 GMT

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:54:22 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 01:36:14 +0000, "Jesus M. Salvo Jr."
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I badly need help as I have been losing sleep for the last few nights
>>trying to get this card to work.

I got this card to work too. However, it did take a heap of research, during
which I collected the following links;

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~jwoodfd/opti931.html
http://drees.dyn.ml.org/~drees/opti931.html
http://www.sequel.demon.co.uk/opti.html

These proved quite helpful, but not always 100% accurate. In particular, the
tables of values to use when initializing the card to different IO/IRQ/DMA
combo's was not always right, and the different pages contradict each other
in small ways. In the end I downloaded the chipset PDF documentation from
OPTi, which is quite (overly?) comprehensive.

The one thing mentioned on these pages (but which I ignored to my peril
untill the very last thing I tried) is that you need the latest stable
OSSFree. The stable kernels (I was using 2.0.35) include archaic sound
drivers, so you will need to patch and compile your own kernel. Under Debian
I installed the kernel source package, patched it, and made my own kernel
package using make-kpkg (very neat!).

The card itself is nothing fancy. If I was buying another card, I'd probably
buy something else, but in credit to Opti, all the programming info is
freely available. This means decent Linux support just requires someone to
care enough to put it in. However, its PnP support is slightly non-standard
(broken?), so this might be a little tricky.

ABO
finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more info, including pgp key

From: rinderle@velocity1 (John Rinderle)
Subject: 3C905 Problems: Card Does Not Function Under 2.2.0!
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Date: 27 Jan 1999 02:46:17 -0500

My 3Com Fast Etherlink XL NIC does not seem to function under the new 2.2.0 kernel.
However it works fine under 2.0.36. I tried compiling the driver both as a module and
building it into the kernel. This is an SMP box, but I also tried the driver with a
non-SMP 2.2.0 kernel to no end. The driver appears to load properly but my DHCP client
fails to setup the interface. Any ideas would be appreciated. Oh, my distribution is
RedHat 5.2.

Thanks in advance,

John Rinderle

From: "fred mertz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to add new Video Driver to earlier version of XFree86
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:55:02 -0800

The release of XWindows bundled with RedHat 5.2 still does not support my
Diamond Stealth II S220. The latest version of XFree86 (3.3.3.1) does.
However, when I downloaded and installed 3.3.3.1 it whacked a whole bunch of
stuff (technically speaking) in my RH 5.1 install. Then I went to RH 5.2,
but it apparently contains a version of XFree older than 3.3.3.x.

Question: Can I install the video support for the Diamond card (XF86_SVGA)
from XF 3.3.3.1 to my current RH 5.2 system?

Any help or pointers to docs would be helpful

Thanks,
js

------------------------------

From: Mark Ramos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: a VERY GOOD NEW!?/?/?/
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:51:53 -0800

Christophe MICHEL wrote:

> kernel 2.2.0 seems to be available on all kernel.org FTP's worldwide since
> today, go and check

old news.

------------------------------

From: Richy Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOPEN AW180 ESS Solo1 sound card and linux 2.2final
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:08:37 -0500

Unfortunately no....

i have no clue on where to go from here....

should have shelled out the money for the sb.. damn.. ;)

if anyone out there could help . any suggestions would be great!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 01:49:45 -0800
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maxtor Diamond Max 13.6

That would be the 3400.  Try www.maxtor.com -> products -> 3400.

> a Windows only disk drive.   Will it work under Linux?

Bhahahahahaha.  <tears, catching breath - - - still catching>

No such thing.  Yet.

Ignore the moronic advert and buy it.  Pedestrian 5400rpm/9ms/UDMA-2.  Most
likely: a little slow, tiny cache, but cheap $/GB, and it's certainly a
BigLoad-O-Bytes...quick, what's 13*1024*1024*1024?

Yup.

*****

Q: What happens if you start your WinModem and WinDisk, while UNKNOWN TO
YOU at that very same moment, your Win98 virus tells your Pentium III to
send all your *secretly* hidden
alt.binaries.cartman.mrhankey.erotica.bondage jpegs back to intel?

A: You have to get out and help push.

And that DearFriends, is the REAL reason we love linux.  Microsoft and
Intel are CLEARLY nothing but common pigfu...

Sorry, gotta go now.  Show's back on.

--
[Replies: remove the dot(s)]

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Any Microcontollers can run the Linux OS
Date: 27 Jan 1999 09:57:59 GMT

Nelson Yan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Can any one tell me which Microcontroller can run Linux OS and do
: applications of it, like Calendar and scheduling

There is a Linux-Port for 68k-CPUs (MC68332,68360,68328 and plain 68000):
http://ryeham.ee.ryerson.ca/uClinux/

The 3COM PalmPilot has a 68328 build-in. There is already
a frame-buffer-device (and libs) for the LCD-Controller of the 68328
and you can use the touch-screen.

The uClinux-Project is rather interessting.

| Bernhard Kuhn                (kuhn[at]lpr.ei.tum.de)  O|||OO||OO| |
| Laboratory for Process Control and Real-Time Systems  O|||O|O|O|O |
| Technische Universität München  Tel.+49-89-289-23732  O|||OO||OO| |
| 80290 München, Germany          Room 3944 Fax -23555  OOO|O|||O|O |

From: Shaun Lipscombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use)
Date: 27 Jan 1999 09:38:47 +0000

It states, on digital's www site, that it is a VMS style keyboard.
What does that mean (in terms of styling).  The mere mention of VMS
puts me off quite frankly.

--
          (o_
(o_  (o_  //\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Cochran)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: linux max RAM is 1GB?
Date: 27 Jan 1999 04:59:58 -0500

In article <78lt32$k99$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Stephen Costaras  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I haven't really looked into this (I'm only at 768MB on the systems I have
>here). But as I understand the problem it is to do with the 32bit processors
>in the intel line.  They can only address 4GB of memory max, that being 4GB
>of RAM, or a combination of swap & RAM that equals 4GB.
>
>Assuming the above is correct (Any kernel people here want to comment on this?)
>You might be able to get the memory you want when running Linux on an Alpha
>or Ultra Sparc processor.
The problem is with the 32 bit processors....
Linux requires the kernel to be able to map the entire physical memory. The
default is for all phyical memory to be mapped starting at 0xc0000000 and
for the user virtual memory to be mapped starting at 0. This allows up to
3 Gig of virtual memory for a user process and 1 Gig of physical memory in
the machine. There is a simple patch that allows 2 Gigs of physical memory,
but this then limits the maximum virtual memory for a user process to 2 Gig
as well. For processors with a larger address space, the limits are raised.

Hope this helps,
John Cochran

------------------------------

From: Mark Ramos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: linux max RAM is 1GB?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:59:28 -0800

I am trying to bring Linux into our environment at work along side some
Sun Ultra's and Enterprise systems but I became disappointed to hear
that Linux only supports up to 1GB of RAM?  That is unfortunate when
Linux is trying to penetrate the enterprise server market and can't keep
up with the big guys?  I am not putting Linux down as I am a very big
Linux advocate but if I am to compare linux head-to-head with other UNIX
servers then what am I supposed to say?  Even the Sun Ultra-2's support
up to 2GB RAM and that is limited by hardware in the small footprint
case.  We have Enterprise 4000 systems that have 8GB of RAM.  And I know
that isn't the limit in Solaris.  The systems we are ordering are dual
Xeon 450's in an Intel MS440GX motherboard.  I know the board can handle
2GB too.  Is there a reason why it can't > 1GB and does anyone know of
future support?

Thanks,

Mark Ramos

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem with Jaton67P and X-window
Date: 26 Jan 1999 19:59:37 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I'm having problem installing X.
: I have a Jaton Video 67P and and 15" AT&T screen.
: I'm running slacware 3.5
: does anyone have this Videocard or can somone give me some advice.

This card is based on the Trident 9685 chipset.  Use the XF86_SVGA
X server.  Make sure your PnP BIOS is assigning this card an IRQ, or
you will have problems getting the card to work in 16 bpp.  There may
be a bug in the XFree86 acceleration code that causes corrupted
displays.  If this occurs add the following line to the "Device"
section of your /etc/XF86Config file.

Option          "noaccel"

Other than that, the Jaton 67p video card should work find under
XFree86.

From: Dan Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support for Re-Writable CDRom's?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:19:55 GMT

James Acomb wrote:

> I just recently bough a memorex 2216 re-writable IDE CDROM drive.
> was wondering what the drivers/mount options would be to enable
> writing to this device?...
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> James

check out the cd writing howto at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html.  It should have
all the info you need.

Dan

------------------------------

From: "news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aha1542cf not detected
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:10:03 GMT

move your sound card- the 1542 really ought to use IRQ 9 from my experience.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (koen Gadeyne)
Subject: Re: LCD Panels: XFree86 & Linux Look Great!
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:29:28 GMT
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x

In article <kqur2.23513$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:33:38 -0500, Dennis Barbier
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>I find this somewhat surpising.  They don't need to do the
>>>"modulation/demodulation" of digital to analog signals, which means that
>>>they ought to be able to skip having a "video" card in the way.
>>
>>Lets make something completely clear - there is no such thing as a digital
>>monitor as such that its final output wont be analog. Maybe im taking this
>>wrong, but please tell me how a monitor could put out a digital signal it
>>would just be binary code. Humans cant interpret that, we are analog
>>animals. We need colors and shapes and symbols. When a monitor refers to
>>being digital all it means is the controlls are digital and not magnets
>>inside of helixes (which is what an analog monitor is)
>
>If the *controls* use discrete measures (aka "digital"), then that means
>that it is certainly not continuous (aka "analog").
>
>A simple LCD display is quite clearly using discrete controls; pixels
>are either turned on, or turned off.  In the case of an LCD monitor,
>there are more complex discrete bit patterns that go into activating
>pixels of sundry colours.
>
>But as far as I can tell, it is still a digital (aka "discrete")
>technology in that the color is not dependent on how much current is
>pumped through (which represents a continuous function) but rather what
>*pattern* of bits (which is discrete).

Not entirely right.

There are LCDs  that are "digital" all the way: digital data goes in, and it
NEVER gets analog. They use some variation on PCM coding to get 6 or 8 bits
color, but it's still utterly digital. It only becomes analog in your brain
:-)

Others (NEC comes to mind) use an analog method to drive the LCD pixels, so
they are truly analog LCD screens. On those, pixel brightness _is_ governed by
how much "current" is presented to them.

K.

Any oppinions expressed are my personal ones, and not those of my employer.

When replying, please remove all the numbers from the E-mail address.
This inconvenience is brought to you by Spamford and his E-mail vultures.

------------------------------

From: "Edward M. Vale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:24:47 GMT

Ben Goble, Lakewood Colorado wrote:

> Ben wrote:
> >
> > While I am able to dial-up in Linux with no hassles, I am unable to turn
> > off the dialing tone (no volume control on my modem). Redhat 5.2 lists my
> > modem init string as ATZ, and the dialing commnad as ATDT. The modem
> > manual lists the volume string as M0. However, knowing this has not
> > enabled me to turn it off. Could someone please help me with sending the
> > string to the modem.
>
> It would be helpful if you mentioned what communication program you are
> using -Seyon, minicom, pcomm or ??  Have you looked at the man page info
> on the communication program you are using?
> --
> Ben Goble  Lakewood,  Colorado  USA
> bgoble at uswest dot net  bgoble at nyx dot net
> A Stranger and a Pilgrim on the Earth

Try changing your dial command to "ATM0DT" without the quotes.

Ed.