Linux-Hardware Digest #281, Volume #10           Thu, 20 May 99 12:13:31 EDT

Contents:
  Re: SB PRo compatible with no valid driver (Murni & Hamid)
  what is a voice/fax modem exactly? (Walter Tautz)
  Re: AGP only at 8bpp?! (Berger Bruno)
  System without video card (Jonas Norling)
  Re: Modemcard under Linux/KDE (Tom Garner)
  Re: IrDA connectors on motherboard? ("Dave Perrow")
  Equivalent to SGI's pciba? ("Evan M. Carey")
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Mike Bartman)
  Re: IrDA connectors on motherboard? (Frederic Faure)
  Getting TimeRules to work with Kernel 2.2.5 (Gunnar Henne)
  Re: Dual Celerons from ComputerNerds (bryan)
  Re: Modemcard under Linux/KDE ("Florian Thiel")
  Re: Linux on: IBM Thinkpad 755 (Robert Wiegand)
  Re: Looking for a BOOT PROM for PC (Frederic Faure)
  Re: UDMA under Linux 2.2.5 on Asus P5A-b (Ali M15xx chipset) ("Dominic Leland")
  Is Diamond SupraMax 56K PCI in fact a Winmodem??? ("Daryl W. Champagne")
  Re: PCI Modem - lost cause? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Linux on a Cubix (Iraklis Papanikolaou)
  [Q] Dual CPU or double speed single ? Help me to chose please. (Frederic A.
Martinelli)
  XFree-support for Hercules Dynamite 3D/GL PCI (4MB) (Matti S Poutanen)
  DDS 2 DATs (Dale Einarson)
  what is bus master? (Y Chen)
  Re: Is Diamond SupraMax 56K PCI in fact a Winmodem??? (Leejay Wu)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Murni & Hamid)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SB PRo compatible with no valid driver
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 02:36:51 +0800

Karim Yaghmour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just got a notebook that has SB Pro compatible card
> (Don't they all :) ). To make long stories short, it
> doesn't work with any driver configuration I've seen
> on the linux laptop pages or in
> linux/Documentation/sound/
> In windows it says that it's Sound Blaster Pro
> compatible at 0x220 with irq 5. I also know that
> there's a yamaha synthesizer chip (read OPL3 compatible).

[...]

> Anyways, does anyone have an idea on how to solve
> this or even where to start in order to investigate
> on whether this is a new "unknown" card?

Have you tried to use isapnptools to configure your sound card? I've
just recently having a trouble with my sound card config inside my
notebook (I didn't know what I did but it won't recognize it anymore and
wasn't running isapnp to initialize it..). Try to use pnpdump to check
if your sound card is recognized by pnpdump, if yes.. edit the output to
suit your IRQ+DMA and put it inside /etc/isapnp.conf and run it from
your rc.sysinit or rc.local file. If you're running RH5.2, there should
be entries for it inside rc.sysinit already.

--
Murni Mahmud & Family

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Tautz)
Subject: what is a voice/fax modem exactly?
Date: 19 May 1999 19:05:20 GMT

My apologies for asking this here, but I couldn't find
an explanation in the current howto on modems (the author
says it will appear in the next version). Is it correct
to assume that a voice modem allows one to use the phone
for ordinary phone calls while remaining connected? Similarly
for fax?? Anyone have experience using this type of modem under

Walter Tautz
Office:     MC5136A, x6895
Department of Combinatorics & Optimization
Faculty of Mathematics
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:22:13 +0200
From: Berger Bruno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.sources.kernel,linux.dev.kernel,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: AGP only at 8bpp?!

http://www.suse.de/sdb/de/html/jd_xi740server.html
all infos you need ...

greetings Bruno

------------------------------

From: Jonas Norling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System without video card
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:55:21 +0200

I am building another one of those popular MP3 players, and everything
is going fine except for one thing: I can't access the keyboard via
/dev/console when there is no video card installed. That's not very
strange since ouput normally is needed for a functional console, but I
just want to be able to get input via the keyboard port. There doesn't
seem to be anything in the /dev/ directory representing the raw keyboard
either.

dmesg says:
  Keyboard: too many NACKs -- noisy kbd cable?    /* when there's no kbd
plugged in, disappears when I connect one */
   [...]
   Warning: unable to open an initial console.

Can you help me? Please don't hesitate to drop me a mail about it!
//Jonas Norling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Tom Garner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modemcard under Linux/KDE
Date: 20 May 1999 13:24:15 GMT

**Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

It's probably on a "readme" whch is *inside* the box, that also says
"refund only given if package unopened".  Been there, done that.. <sigh>

------------------------------

From: "Dave Perrow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuild,alt.comp.hardware.homebuild,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking
Subject: Re: IrDA connectors on motherboard?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:18:53 +0100

It would seem you need a specific type of device for the LED's HP make these
as do a few other vendors. I don't know yet where you could buy them but if
you search for HP and Irda you should find the part number, the datasheet on
the device etc. It also seems that there's a fairly widely accepted standard
for the Irda connector on the motherboard so if you manage to obtain a plug
in for another motherboard it might well work.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Evan M. Carey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Equivalent to SGI's pciba?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:00:35 GMT

Is there a User level PCI Bus Adapter interface (pciba) available under
LINUX like under IRIX >= 6.4?  I've got some code that runs on an SGI
box that simply memory maps the pertinent address space on a PCI card
from user code.  It is very simple to do on the SGI by simply opening
the device file and mmap'ing appropriate areas.  I was wondering if
there is a module available that would allow me to do the same thing
under LINUX.

Is there literature available on pgp pci cards?  I didn't find what I
was looking for under /usr/doc...

//  Evan M. Carey                       Camber Corp.
//  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                   4885 Alpha Road, Suite 110
//  972-991-5322 x145                   Dallas, TX  75244-4633
//  972-991-5352 fax.                   www.cambertx.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Bartman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:44:25 GMT

On Thu, 20 May 1999 12:27:09 GMT, westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>In article
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>s.net>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> What would be optimal would be an OS where it was not necessary, or
>> possible, for any 3rd party to write any privileged code.  Then,
>> provided that the OS writers did their job properly, you should have a
>> system that doesn't crash at all.  Going the other direction, where
>> *everyone* writes privileged code, is just asking for problems in my
>> opinion.
>
>In the new perfect OS, each component would have just enough privilege
>to do its job. This still has great scope for problems - a faulty file
>system for example, could cause havok - but there is no inherent reason
>why, say, a Com port driver should be able to crash the system.

Agreed, though the need for speed sometimes precludes this level of
isolation.

>While Digital's approach was technically a success, it failed miserably
>commercially. That is because, among other things, they failed to
>support a wide range of third party hardware.

Failed miserably???  20 years of sales, billions of dollars and
millions of users is "miserable failure"???  Oh, *please* let me fail
then!!

NT can only pray to be as big a failure!  VMS has been "dying" longer
than NT has existed.  It's entirely possible that VMS will *still* be
"dying" when NT is long gone...

As to support of "a wide range of 3rd party hardware", what OS did
better?  Sun's stuff runs on Sun hardware.  Same for Macintosh, Atari,
Commodore, Digital Research, IBM and the rest.  Until NT, even
Microsoft only ran on one platform: the Intel CPU'd IBM-PC/AT (though
you could buy this specific setup from a number of places it was still
just one platform).

Since the early days of NT Microsoft seems to be in full retreat from
any platform other than the Intel/AT one.  Power PC is essentailly
gone, and Alpha support is mostly just a niche thing, where folks who
need raw power (like 3D rendering) live.  Getting an Alpha version of
anything else is pretty tough...no way are you going to find it at the
local CompUSA, though the Intel stuff is everywhere.  NT is
technically multi-platform, but in practice it's not as even as you
might think.

At least VMS was available on a wide range of machines...from
single-user desktops (like the VAXStation 3100-30) to large multi-user
mainframes (like the VAX-9000) systems.  You can start small, then
upgrade hardware as your needs grow, without having to re-write, or
even re-compile, any of your software.   That's called "scalability",
and no other OS has it, or had it, to that extent.  These days, with
Galaxy, you can even add CPUs to a machine...without rebooting!

The main mistake DEC made, and I'm not sure that it wasn't Palmer
doing it on purpose so as to shrink the company to a size that Compaq
could swallow, was to keep the prices high, making the alternatives
look more attractive to the idiot short-sighted bean-counters and
their "penny-wise, pound-foolish" thinking.  A lot of folks moved off
of VMS systems onto NT to save money...and now they are finding that
NT just can't cut it (like their IT managers tried to tell them...)
and they are having to move again to something else.  A few are moving
back to VMS, the rest seem to be headed for Linux. All of this
movement costs big bucks in training, software, hardware, and lost
productivity.

 -- Mike "at least it's a step in the right direction" Bartman --

  To reply via e-mail, remove the 'foolie.' from the address.
  I'm getting sick of all the spam...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic Faure)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 19:53:40 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 10:33:57 -0400, Andre Couture
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have few Linux box that are running Linux.
>Most of them have a connector for asn IrDA device,
>
>Does anybody know how to build the "device" for it?

        Since Asus has been selling motherboards with an on-board IrDA
connector for a while now, you could try buying the connector from
them, but I haven't found a store that has it, though. Instead, I got
an external device from Tekram that connects to the COM2 ports, and is
powered by the serial port.

FF.
--
The system required Windows 95 or better, so I installed Linux!

------------------------------

From: Gunnar Henne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Getting TimeRules to work with Kernel 2.2.5
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:58:22 +0200

Do you know, how dynamic timeout rules (timru) from the isdn4k package
can be brought into the actual Kernel? Is there a certain version
somewhere to download, which is known to work?

Thanks in advance

Gunnar

------------------------------

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Celerons from ComputerNerds
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:58:09 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: As for hard drives, I've been looking around for what to buy lately, and
: storagereview.com has tested the new 1999 models of 7200 rpm SCSI drives
: from Western Digital, IBM, and Seagate (not yet Quantum). The WD
: Enterprise series comes out on top, and they are available with 2 MB
: cache (standard), or 4 MB in the AV model (for continuous streaming).
: The 10,000 rpm drives are slightly faster, but much hotter (fan
: required) and noisier than the 7200 rpm units.

I went from a 7200 drive to a 10k ibm drive and it runs no hotter (IMHO).

the speed is AMAZING.  definitely worth it.  a year or so ago, when
10k was very pricey, it wasn't worth it.  now I think it is ;-) at
least check out the ibm ultra2 10k drive.

--
Bryan

------------------------------

From: "Florian Thiel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:53:59 +0200

Thanx for answers. But I don't found any link for "only windows".
Ok, I test an old 33.6 external modem.

From: Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on: IBM Thinkpad 755
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:06:12 -0500

e-frog wrote:

> Does anyone know if an IBM Thinkpad 755 will be okay with Linux?
>
> I saw some over at auctions.cnet.com going for about $380 and thought it
> might be good to pick up as a spare machine...
>
> I had some bad experience with a Toshiba laptop last time and don't want
> to repeat it.
>
> Isaac

Isaac,

There are actually several 755 models - It depends on which one.

I have used a 755C and the only thing I wasn't able to get working was
the built-in sound hardware.

The one tricky part was that you need to specify a special option at the
boot prompt during install because the floppy drive is slightly non-standard.
I think it was "floppy=thinkpad" or something like that. After that
everything installed fine.

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic Faure)
Subject: Re: Looking for a BOOT PROM for PC
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 19:53:38 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 09:46:06 +0200, Laurent Gougeon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'd like to do a MP3 player without floppy nor Hard drive.
>
>I need to create a BOOT card with a EPROM or FLASH ROM
>to provide a kernel, acces to the CD ROM and the MP3 decoder....
>
>Does anyone knows about that ?

        You could look at www.incom.de. Actually, their boot-prom is
normally intended to either boot diskless workstations, or automate
installs on new workstations. I've been using the latter with much
success the past few months. Much better than imaging, IMHO.

        Since its goal is to get an IP address and other infos from a
bootp server, receive an image of a bootable floppy from a tftp
server, upload it to a ram disk, and boot from this, it'd be easy to
stop there, and have it load a CDROM driver to play MP3 files.

Hope this helps,
FF.

From: "Dominic Leland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: UDMA under Linux 2.2.5 on Asus P5A-b (Ali M15xx chipset)
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:52:45 GMT

In order to enable UDMA, you have to do it in hdparm. If  the kernel doesn't
offer a specific driver (your Ali), then it should just be using the generic
one. In order to enable UDMA on your drive, you may have to recompile
hdparm.

I haven't tried this out yet. I plan to soon.

Good luck.

Dominic Leland

news:7huvhq$ncu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Daryl W. Champagne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is Diamond SupraMax 56K PCI in fact a Winmodem???
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:36:00 -0500

Can anyone tell me with 100% certainty that a Diamond SupraMax 56K PCI modem is a
winmodem?

I believe it is and now I'm very pissed because the packaging doesn't say
its a winmodem and if I would have known that I would not have bought the damn
thing!

DEATH TO WINMODEMS!!!!!

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PCI Modem - lost cause?
Date: 20 May 1999 11:05:09 -0400

"John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> David A. Rogers wrote in message ...
> >On Wed, 19 May 1999 09:50:51 -0700, Roberto Leibman
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> speaketh saying:
> >>
> >>I have to disagree with this, as the constraint in computing power moves
> >>around, from i/o bound to processor bound to memory bound to disk bound
> >>bandwith bound, the "right" partitioning philosophy changes as well. I
> think
> >>we are at a time where we most people have a lot of extra capacity in
> their
> >>CPU's (most of the time anyway), it makes engineering sense to download
> some
> >>of the processing chore to the less stressed CPU, particularly if this
> can
> >>bring the price of the peripherals down.
> >
> >I don't buy it.  I've got a 133 and I want all of those cycles
> >being used for their intended purpose.  Even if I had a 450, I don't want
> some
> >rube-goldberg peripheral slowing it down.
>

> Agreed, particularly with a timing-sensitive peripheral such as a modem. If
> the CPU is busy doing something else when the WinModem needs attention,
> data will be lost - so the WinModem driver runs at a high priority,
> impacting *all* other services.
>
> No, thanks.

on the other hand, a pci (or other) device which could itself do ppp
would be a cool thing.  once you write a frame, the modem wouldn't
wait and time-out looking for more data.  you could move the packets
back and forth using dma.  uarts with their constant flood of nickel
and dime interrupts make a lousy interface.  make an modem with
ethernet card interface!

unfortunately, modem vendors are avoiding a smart card and building
idiot cards with as little as possible on them.  oh well.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: Iraklis Papanikolaou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,alt.linux,alt.linux.os
Subject: Re: Linux on a Cubix
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:39:54 +0100

In article <7htvg9$atq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, AB <?@?.?> writes
>A. Roy Sanwalka wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>Hi All,
>>
>>    A client just donated a couple of Cubix ERS/FT II multi-CPU systems
>>to us.  They were being used in a classic configuration with a single
>>BC5090 (90 MHz Pentium) control board running NetWare as a server and a
>>set of QL4222 (dual 486) workstation boards which remote boot from the
>>NetWare server.
>>
>>    These systems were being used as a NetWare ACS dial-in system, but I
>>was wondering if I could use it in a more useful setting - say, as a
>>cluster of Linux systems?  Anyone tried this before, or know how to make
>>it work under Linux?  I expect that getting Linux to load on the BC
>>system will not ne too difficult, but does anyone know how to make the
>>QL workstation systems remote boot from a running Linux system on the
>>BC?

Just a thought. Wouldn't Beowulf (or things to that effect), be able to
use these boards to form a processor farm? Just a qeustion from someone
who is still very new at Linux...
--
Iraklis Papanikolaou
Earth: Mostly harmless (The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic A. Martinelli)
Subject: [Q] Dual CPU or double speed single ? Help me to chose please.
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:16:08 +0200

Hello,

   I'm currently wandering about upgrading an old P133, not for speed,
because that CPU is quite good for developing apps as i do, but
simply because i'll soon (within the next month or so) need to free
one of the serial port to plug a Wacom tablet in it (i'll move the
mouse/keyboard to PS/2 ports that newer motherboards have). But i just
hate to spend money on a new hardware without filling up the old
hacker modo : "never upgrade for at least twice the speed".

   So i thing my possibilities are
- an Intel compatible at 400+ Mhz
- an alpha 21164PC at 400+ Mhz

   I'm i right so far ?

   Then, would it be faster to:
- run a single 21164 alpha cpu (around 400 Mhz, -maybe- i can get a 533)
- OR run a single K6-3 450-500
- OR run a dual celeron 400
???

   Knowing that i can get those 3 stuff for almost the same price
(only 100$ more for the alpha - a used one).

   As a more generic question, i would like to know if Dual 300 Mhz
would behave (speed) the same as Mono 600 Mhz for example.

   Here is what i understand, and let me please know if i'm wrong.
The dual 300 will run 2 apps at 300 (useful for background rendering
for example) and the 600 will run only 1 app but at 600 (thus the app
finish sooner and one can go to the other app !! argh !). Is there
really no difference ?!?

   IRL, how does all that behave ? And the 1cent question: what is the
most interesting under Linux for me ????
(most of my day i compile, draw in Gimp and later i'll render about
20% of my time)
My usual desktop session is 1 user (me :) ) enlightenment, Gimp with
about 5-15 drawing loaded, Xemacs, Knews, 1-3 xiterm/eterm and the
program i'm on, from time to time Netscape or Lynx is poped up and
later Blender will be next to Gimp... So what configuration would give
me the most 'smooth' feeling ???

   Thanks for your help, i thing that i've read too many things and
now i'm lost ! :/

   Fred.
--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Matti S Poutanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFree-support for Hercules Dynamite 3D/GL PCI (4MB)
Date: 19 May 1999 18:34:45 +0300

Hello,

I've been running RedHat 5.2 on my old HP Vectra XM 5/75
Series 3 for a few months now. I've been using the integrated
Cirrus Logic 5434 display controller which isn't very
spectacular, it gives 1024*768*256 at 70Hz. So I've
been desperately looking for a decent, and decently priced,
graphics card that could do 1024*768*TrueColor at 85 Hz.

The Hercules Dynamite 3D/GL PCI is one of the few cheap PCI
cards available that give good resolutions and refresh
rates (it has a 250 MHz RAMDAC). I bought one for my
father's NT-machine, and was able to get 1600 * 1200*16bpp
at 75 Hz on his Nokia 455Xi 21" monitor.

The XFree-server for this card is the 3DLabs-server developed
at S.u.S.E., is anyone using it with this card and are there
any problems with limited modes, unstability etc.?

Regards,

        Matti

--
Matti Poutanen      | EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Student of Physics  | "And on a mission over China, the lady opens up her

------------------------------

From: Dale Einarson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DDS 2 DATs
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:04:24 -0400

Hello all,
( sorry is this is a dumb question but...)

    I have found much information with respect to QIC but I am having
trouble finding explicit information regarding DDS /DATs

I have a DDS2 and a DDS3 DAT that I would like to take advantage of, yet
know nothing about what the names are.  I realize that st0 and nst0 are
my tapes
but is there not a c or v option for these dev's?

    I know the systems recognizes the dat do to the info below.  I just
wish to know more about the dev names are there any others?  where can I
obtain a list?

The systems in question:
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15 on an i686

dmesg:
scsi : 1 host.
(scsi0:0:3:0) Synchronous at 6.67 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: Python 28388-XXX  Rev: 5.AC
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0

my stat:
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=38272, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x24 (DDS-2).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
 ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Dale Einarson                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Manager                     CFD Lab, Concordia University
Phone   (514) 848 4196                         Fax (514) 848 8601

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Y Chen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: what is bus master?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:54:20 -0400

Hi, there,
My new mainboard require a bis master to
work fine under win98. I do not know what it
is? Do I need it to run linux too?
BTW, my new board is Soyo 100 MHz 5EMA.
Thanks.
Y.Chen

------------------------------

From: Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Diamond SupraMax 56K PCI in fact a Winmodem???
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:53:54 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.hardware: 19-May-99 Is Diamond
SupraMax 56K PCI.. by "Daryl W. Champagne"@aud
> Can anyone tell me with 100% certainty that a Diamond SupraMax 56K PCI
> modem is a winmodem?

Diamond Multimedia, for one; their "Controller-less Modems Whitepaper", at
http://www.diamondmultimedia.com/products/white-papers/communications/c-less_pa
per.html

That, plus their blurb on 'bout the SupraMax on their modem page:

 SupraMAX 56 Now With V.90!
   The SupraMax 56K for Windows takes advantage of your PC's processing
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   power to deliver fast Internet connections.
   ^^^^^

Now that's an interesting piece of... spin.

> I believe it is and now I'm very pissed because the packaging doesn't say
> its a winmodem and if I would have known that I would not have bought the
> damn thing!
>
> DEATH TO WINMODEMS!!!!!

--+-- Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ---+- <lw2j@[andrew|cs].cmu.edu> -+--
  |  No electrons were harmed in the making of this message.      |