  Storage Plus Sp1300 Scsi host adaptor (B'ichela)

From: "Rob F" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Kudzu Segmentation Fault
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:04:04 -0400

Any ideas what I can do to fix?  I had my ethernet card set up and
communicating with my Win98 box, even accessing the proxyserver to get to
the Internet.  After a fail install of an Aztech Waverunner Platinum sound
card, and an attempt to set up Samba, I can no longer even ping the Win98 PC
nor myself.  Under netconfig, the screen lists my Compaq Netelligent 10/100
correctly, with -1 for io and irq.  I understand this means that it is not
needed, but now when I boot, I get a Segmentation Falt (core dumped) during
kudzu init.  I have tried editing the /etc/conf.modules file, with no avail.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good one.
Rob Frischauf
mcfrisch<ANTISPAM>@hotmail.com
--remove <ANTISPAM> before emailing

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Gordon)
Subject: Re: Raid Card .... Adaptec AAA131/U2  support under RedHat Linux 6.2 (2.2.16)?
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:53:34 GMT

Basically I ended up doing the same thing you did as well. .... I have
implemented Software Raid 5.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:17:06 -0700
From: Chem-R-Us <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: on-board sound?

Frank Isaacs wrote:

> As for what I've tried, the answer is "not much." I'm a complete, total,
> clueless newbie to Linux. On the advice of someone else (and you, too, I
> see), I went to alsa-project.org, and downloaded something that looked
> appropriate, but it's in .bz2 format, which I know nothing about. (Plus, I
> was hoping to do it with the distribution, but I suppose that's not
> necessarily going to happen...)

.bz2 file us the bunzip2 utility to uncompress them much the way .gz
file
use the gunzip utitilty for uncompression.

$ bunzip2 <filename.tar.bz2>

$ tar xf <filename.tar>

`man bzip2' and `man bunzip2' to learn about .bz2 utilities.

--

Chem-R-Us

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.help
Subject: Compaq Armada 1700 and built in modem
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 00:15:28 +0200

How do I have to proceed to use the internal modem of a Compaq Armada
1700 (6300/T/5000/D/0/2) model with SuSE-Linux 6.4 ?

Thank you in advance for any feedback

Rene

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: DSL DRIVERS???
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:02:02 GMT

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:37:33 -0400, "mcfrisch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>According to Efficient TS. the drivers should be available in 1-2 months.
>Take that for what it is worth.  I have tried every which way I can, to find
>some work around, but without the knowledge of the hardware nor writing
>drivers for it, I am without a solution.  The 3010 drivers don't work, nor
>anything else, so don't waste your time; just wait and see:)

The SpeedStream 3010 in my machine does work!

Granted.. not very optimised, but they work. So does masquerade, except I can't
get the whole iptables thing working (properly enabled an option I shouldn't
have!)

------------------------------

From: The Dude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TEST
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:28:28 GMT

------------------------------

From: Klaus =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgensen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What distribution to install ?
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 09:34:47 -0300

"Børre Nordbakken" wrote:

> RedHat 6.2
> SuSE 6.4
> Slackware 7
>
> --
> Børre

Hi,

I've been using Slackware for 5 or 6 years now and Red Hat just on and
off,
so I'm probably heavily biased, but here's my 5 cents worth:

If you're looking to get a Linux system up and running with all the
newest
hardware and you're used to Windoze, I'd say go for Red Hat; it's easier

to set up a basic system, and the RPM-system, while not perfect, gets
things done for the newbie. Like with Windoze, it gets a lot harder if
you
want to do something the Red Hat guys haven't anticipated...

If, on the other hand, you want to *learn* something about Linux/UNIX,
then
you might as well go for Slackware from the beginning; all the nice GUI
tools
in Red Hat will only hinder your efforts to find out what's really going
on with
configuration scripts and so forth. But expect a steep learning curve:
you'll be
reading a lot of HOWTO's and the like. But some of us find that
rewarding
in itself; you really feel that you're learning something, and hey,
there might be
a bonus: I recently got a great job as UNIX sysadmin at an ISP, based
only on my
experience with Linux...

Finally, before I get flamed to a crisp; I'm sure there are other great
distributions
out there (I've heard well of Suse and Debian, for instance), it's just
that I don't
have any personal experience with them.

Greetings,
Klaus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.help
Subject: Re: Compaq Armada 1700 and built in modem
Date: 22 Jul 2000 23:41:55 GMT

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 00:15:28 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How do I have to proceed to use the internal modem of a Compaq Armada
>1700 (6300/T/5000/D/0/2) model with SuSE-Linux 6.4 ?

Do a "cat /proc/pci" and look for a line in the output that refers to a
device that's made by Lucent Technologies.  If that exists, it *might*
be possible to get it working via the ltmodem.o module.  You can
download that module via http://linmodems.org/ among other places;
instructions on using it are linked from that URL.

If you don't have a Lucent Winmodem ("LoseModem") then you should forget
it and go buy an external modem for about $50.  Setting up an external
modem is much easier and tends to provide faster throughput.  Also, the
ltmodem.o module has bugs, is huge, and will not work well with kernels
that are not 2.2.14 or close to 2.2.14.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin/   That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com    /    makes us stranger.
============================/            ==Trevor Goodchild

------------------------------

From: Will Hanselaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Venix 80286 file format
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 01:46:12 +0200

I have a MO drive, working fine with Msdos, ext2 as well as some other
file systems,
Now I have some disks which show me it is in a Venix 80286 format
(id=40)
Mounting however is impossible,
Do I need additional drivers for this format, or do i have to use some
extra commands
Thanks folks
Will

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:49:31 GMT

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:07:10 -0400, "mcfrisch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Not sure Hal... just said 1-2 months.  Didn't mention that they would be
>third party, binaries, sources or whatever.  I am just leeching off my
>Windozer PC now.  Can it run under Wine? Doubt it, but curious.
>
>L8tr...
>
>--
>Rob Frischauf
>mcfrisch<ANTISPAM>@hotmail.com
>-- delete <ANTISPAM> before emailing.
>
>"Hal Burgiss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:37:33 -0400, mcfrisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >According to Efficient TS. the drivers should be available in 1-2
>> >months. Take that for what it is worth.  I have tried every which way I
>> >can, to find some work around, but without the knowledge of the
>> >hardware nor writing drivers for it, I am without a solution.  The 3010
>> >drivers don't work, nor anything else, so don't waste your time; just
>> >wait and see:)

The driver is installed like this (you are root ore access via suso):

1) Fetch new kernel & patches
# Make sure bzip2 is installed
cd /usr/src/
rm -f linux             # supposely a link
wget http://kernel.org/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.0-test4.tar.bz2 # or mirror
wget http://kernel.org/kernel/people/axboe/PPPoATM/2.4.0-test4/lanai.diff.bz2
wget http://kernel.org/kernel/people/axboe/PPPoATM/2.4.0-test4/ppoatm.diff.bz2
tar x --use-compress-program=bzip2 -f linux-2.4.0-test4.tar.bz2
bzcat lanai.diff.bz2 | patch -p0
bzcat pppoatm.diff.bz2 | patch -p0
mv linux linux-2.4.0-test4
ln -s linux-2.4.0-test4 linux

2) Configure and compile kernel
make menuconfig         # Select SpeedStream 3010, PPP-ATM and PPP-sync
make dep && make clean && make modules && make bzImage && make modules_install
# The above can be issued one by one, but this way you can go and make coffee.
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-test4
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.0-test4
pico /etc/lilo.conf     # You might prefer emacs, jove or joe (pico ~= pine)
lilo

3) Fetch new pppd
cd ~                    # or just another workspace for source
wget ftp://icaftp.epfl.ch/pub/linux/atm/dist/atm-0.78.tar.gz
tar xzf atm-0.78.tar.gz
cd atm
make
make install

4) Compile & install pppd
cd ~                    # or just another workspace for source
wget ftp://linuxcare.com.au/pub/ppp/ppp-2.4.0b2.tar.gz
tar xzf ppp-2.4.0b2.tar.gz
cd
wget http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~mostrows/pppd.patch.240600
wget \
http://www.sfgoth.com/~mitch/linux/atm/pppoatm/pppoatm-pppd-vs-2.4.0b2+240600.diff.gz
cd ppp-2.4.02b
patch -p1 < ../pppd.patch.240600
zcat ../pppoatm-pppd-vs-2.4.0b2+240600.diff.gz | patch -p1
./configure
make
make install
cp pppd/plugins/pppoatm.so /usr/lib/pppd/plugins

5) Configure system & reset
pico /etc/ppp/peers/atmprovider
shutdown -r now

6) Starting pppd (unless you make another patch you should do so from prompt)
pppd call atmprovider

The config (from item 5) file is rather special, mine looks something like this
this:

plugin /usr/lib/pppd/plugins/pppoatm.so 0.101
qos aal5,cbr:tx:pcr=128kbps,rx:pcr=256kbps
connect ""
disconnect ""
lock
defaultroute
persist
noipdefault
nobsdcomp
nodeflate
nopcomp
novj
novjccomp
domain tele.dk
name siemens
user "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Please refer to mitch's page and the pppd documentation

From: Alex the Koala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:58:39 GMT

Where did you find the drivers? I saw a call for betatesters for DSL linux drivers,
and
it included a lot of cards... maybe this is it? Are more cards supported?

Thanks for your time.

------------------------------

From: Smitty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ORB drive assistance
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:04:16 -0400

Does anyone know how to reformat and partition an ORB disk?  I just
installed a EIDE ORB drive on my RH Linux 6.1 box, but ORB has no
official Linux support yet.
Smitty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netgear ethernet problem
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 00:23:07 GMT

I just bought this card (FA311TX) and feel really cheated. It's going
back ASAP. The card might be OK in Windows, but the Linux drivers just
aren't there yet (AFAIK).

The card uses a National Semiconductor DP83815C chip. The box is
*technically* correct in that includes a Linux driver, but the driver
is written to work with 2.0.36. It will *not* work with 2.2.x SMP
systems.

I tried for quite a while to get it working on a 2.2.16 SMP system
before I resorted to reading the driver source. So this whole thing was
a big disappointment - even more so because I never had any problems
with their old FA310TX cards. I hope those aren't discontinued any time
in the near future...

- John

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Jeff Avallone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Have you gotten any of the drivers to work?
>
> hobangus wrote:
> >
> > I've been having fa311 problems too with Redhat 6.2.
> > I've seen many of the same problems that I see have been posted
here,
> > namely
> >  --unresolved dependencies when running depmod
> >  --the system seems to recognize the card, but fails to contact my
> > Roadrunner dhcp server,
> >     when the system boots the the "PC" light goes off for a moment
which it
> > doesn't do under Win95.
> >     don't know if this is significant or not.
> > --regarding the HW ethernet address issue:  with ifconfig under
Linux I get
> > 08:00:17:37:0A:00
> >    but with Win95 (where everything works fine) I get 00-A0-CC-73-
C3-4C!  I
> > wonder
> >    if the Linux driver is just reporting the wrong thing.
> > -- Netgear tech support keeps talking about the tulip driver,
seemingly
> > oblivious that they ship
> >     a FA311 driver with the card...  I tried tulip and it failed to
> > recognize the card.
>
> You want fun with Netgear support? I've been going back and forth with
> them for a week. First they told my to use the tulip driver, then they
> told me the driver they shipped, now I just got an email today where
> they say that it's a National Semiconductor chipset. None of their
> suggestions has been all too helpful. I really wish they'd decide how
> they built their card...
>

> > I'm about to return the card and get a different one.
>
> I'm with you, I'm going to call them today, if they can't get it to
work
> then it's going back to the store. If they help me at all, then I'll
> post the useful parts here.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Decklin Foster)
Subject: Creative CD-ROM audio cd errors
Date: 23 Jul 2000 01:38:35 GMT

I have a Creative 48x CD-ROM drive which used to work perfectly.
Recently the audio rip speed took a dive to ~1.3x (from ~6.5x), so I
tried playing an audio CD and got this:

# cdplay
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x54
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
  Invalid command operation code -- (asc=0x20, ascq=0x00)
  The failed "Play Audio TrackIndex" packet command was:
  "48 00 00 00 01 01 00 0a 63 00 00 00 "
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x54
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
  Invalid command operation code -- (asc=0x20, ascq=0x00)
  The failed "Play Audio TrackIndex" packet command was:
  "48 00 00 00 01 01 00 0a 01 00 00 00 "
cdplay: ioctl cdromplaytrkind

Any ideas on what this might mean? Data CDs still work fine.

--
There is no TRUTH. There is no REALITY. There is no CONSISTENCY. There
are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS. I'm very probably wrong. -- BSD fortune(6)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Dell Latitude CPx, XFree86 configuration
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:36:45 GMT

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude CPx.
The video card is: ATI Rage Mobility AGP x2 8Mo

I installed Red Hat 6.2 perfectly on it and
it's working fine.

The Xconfigurator did probe the right video card and automatically
selected the Mach64 server.
This is true as it is the chipset for this card.

The configuration runs for 1024x768 (32 bpp).

However, there is a vertical blinking
dashed line which appear on the rigth of the
screen. (and which move a little...)

Does anyone has the right XFree8 configuration
for my screen ?

I believe it is a problem of vertical and/or
horizontal frequencies.

Apart from this strange line, everything is ok.

thanks in advance

JD

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 10:48:30 +0800
From: "WF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trident 975

I tried to install RH6.2 on my computer with a Trident 975 AGP chipset and
it won't do graphic install... I
installed earlier on on Mandrake 6.5 and I get similar problems... X just
either freezes or the resolution really sucks on a generic driver. Anyone
has encountered this problem before? My monitor is not a listed monitor but
I keyed in every information as stated in the manual but to no avail... Hope
to ehar from some kind soul... been really stuck with this problem for a
long time already. Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M$ IntelliMouse
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:33:09 -0400

Christian Weihs wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I´ve got a Micro$oft IntelliMouse 1.1A PS/2. Does anyone know how
> I can get my middle mousebutton/wheel to work under X/KDE?
> I tried setting
> Buttons  3
> in the XF86Config file with no result. There is an option called
> Intellimouse but the manpage says it´s for serial mice.
> I´m running SuSE Linux 6.4 with X-Windows 3.3.6 & KDE 1.1.2
>
> thanks
> christian
The solution to this is to place the following in your
XF86Config file in the mouse profile area
make sure to have emulate3buttons commented out.

 ZAxisMapping "4 5"

if using Xfree86 4.0 or 4.0.1 ...

 option
"ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Then install imwheel (it is on most distros)
Next run your startx command or restart your
window manager. In KDE run the file manager
find the IMWHEEL binary (usually in /usr/X11R6/bin)
copy the file to KDE's autostart folder. Your
wheel should now work with everything includeing
netscape.
--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To: ,comp.os.linux.setup,,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Storage Plus Sp1300 Scsi host adaptor
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:41:00 -0400

        I have one of these ancient Scsi host adaptors from a company
Called Storage Plus. This company is no longer in business. The
adaptor is a 16 bit Scsi 1 host adaptor with built in floppy drive
support. I want to try this under Linux but I absolutly know very
little about this other than the config info from its tiny manual.
Heres what I do know
Default I/O address: 0x330
Default Memory Address (for bios) 0xc8000
Default DMA : DMA 7
Default IRQ: IRQ 15
        I don't see any generic scsi chip. I see two LSI chips. one is
labled
sp1300/16
CQ09385
609-3400537
9145R

the other is
SPC2052F0A
F09 150

That one sounds like the floppy controler chip. The first appears to
me to be the Scsi controller chip.

        Looking at this card carefully. Like the Trantor T130B I had
(uh oh, sounds trantorish), it does not provide termpower to the scsi
chain! it also provides the standard Mac 25 pin Scsi port on the back!
        Does this use the NCR 5380 or NCR 53c400 kernel scsi driver?
If I tried the slackware scsi.s bootdisk how would I enter this info
for a probe? does any of the configuration match a T160?
        Since my current system is out of IRQs I cannot physically use
this card yet but I do want to set it up for my futute second linux
box as I will be moving some of my scsi hardware to the second box
when I get the time and money to do so.

--

                        B'ichela