Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 08:09:32 +0200
From: Bernd Huebenett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: recognizing all my RAM

Hello,

type this at the lilo prompt:   mem=128M
Read the lilo manual, it will help you further.

Bye,
Bernd

------------------------------

From: Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.windows95,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.windows.x
Subject: Re: NTFS, FAT32, ext2 multi-boot possible with Partition Magic4.0?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:45:44 +1000

On Sat, 22 May 1999, vancaf wrote:

> I know both Win98, WinNT on FAT16 and Linux on ext2 is a possible option for
> those 3 OS, but I'm wondering if it's possible to multi-boot Win98 on FAT32,
> WinNT4.0 on NTFS, and Linux(Caldera OpenLinux 2.2) on ext2 partition...
> Would using Partition Magic4.0(and BootMagic) help me making possible?  Or
> is it impossible?

You don't really need PM to do that. It would probably make it prettier
though. At home we were triple booting Linux/Win95/NT. Lilo was on the MBR
and would boot Linux or "DOS". Selecting DOS would then take you into the
NT bootloader, where you can select between win95 and NT. Yeah, PM
probably makes this a lit simpler and nicer.

One note of interest: NT can't read FAT32 (yet?) and Win 9x can't read
NTFS, but Linux can read them all! :)
Oh yes, we're merely amatuers...

bye

--
8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
Ian Tester   *8)#          \7\    LINUX: because geeks will find a way

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoff Wing)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: ASUS-P2B-DS feels slow
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 04:45:01 GMT

Glenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
:1) Yes, the 80 Mg/sec is total band width, no disk is that fast even under a
:brust.

Yes, but with several disks.....

:2) For the ECC settings must have ECC memory

The second question was about the printer port.  The new ASUS web site
doesn't keep as much BIOS history as it used to, though from memory in
one of the later changes (maybe 1007 or 1008) one combination of printer
ECP settings was disabled for some reason.  One is presuming of course that
you've set your printer settings (in BIOS) to ECP or ECP+EPP.

:>DRAM are 72 bits wide
:>Data Integrity Mode : ECC
:>...
:>ECP DMA Select : disabled   <== I cannot change this-why?

Geoff Wing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Alternative to OSS for Sound Blaster PCI128?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 06:06:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Micheal MacCana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OSS is the Open Sound System
> It's a commercial but easy way to get sound working on Linux
> The free version nags every twenty minutes, but it works with
> all kinds of cards.

What exactly do you mean by "nags"? Could you clarify that up?

I'm having a strange problem. Well, the problem is that the stereo

separation gets garbled up and sound drift from left to right and vice

versa according to the frequency.

From: "Ozzy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Will a SupraExpress 56i modem run under linux?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 05:37:02 GMT

Anybody running this modem under linux?
successfully?

------------------------------

From: Ken Cormack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Getting LP ports to use IRQ's
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 01:38:19 -0400

Hello, all.

I seem to be having some difficulty getting the LPT ports in my system to=
 use
interrupts, rather than letting them run in polling mode.

My system has two ECP parallel ports, configured as follows...

lp0:  I/O=3D0x378, IRQ=3D7, DMA=3D1
lp1:  I/O=3D0x278, IRQ=3D11, DMA=3D3

(IRQ5, normally used by a second LPT port, is used by my sound card, so I=
 chose
to use 11 for the second port)

Output of "dmesg" looks like this...

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,ECP,ECPPS2]
    parport1: PC-style at 0x278 [SPP,ECP,ECPP,ECPPS2]
    parport0: Multimedia device, Connectix QuickCam VC
    parport1: Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 640
    lp0: using parport0 (polling)
    lp1: using parport1 (polling)

(The VC is only used under "that other operating system")

Attempts to use the `tunelp <device> -i <IRQ>` command consistently yield=
 the
following output (regardless of which port I am trying to configure)..

    tunelp: ioctl: Invalid argument
    /dev/lpX using IRQ -1

My kernel (2.2.9 on RedHat 6.0) is built with module support, and all lp =
and
PC-style parallel port-related support is built as modules.  Also, "Auto-=
probe
for parallel devices" is enabled as a module, under "Plug and Play suppor=
t".

My /etc/conf.modules is rather generic with regard to the parallel
ports, with only the following relevant entry present...

    alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

The following modules are loaded (in this order) from /etc/rc.d/rc.module=
s...

    /sbin/modprobe parport
    /sbin/modprobe parport_probe
    /sbin/modprobe parport_pc
    /sbin/modprobe lp

The output of `lsmod` looks like this (only the relevant modules are show=
n)
    lp                  5116    0
    parport_pc          5588    2    (autoclean)
    parport_probe       2980    0
    parport             7156    2    [lp parport_pc parport_probe]

I have tried various "options" statements in /etc/conf.modules, to force =
the
appropriate settings, but so far I have had no luck.  Perhaps I'm just ge=
tting
tired (it IS after 2:00AM here - LOL)

Would any one of you happen to have some experience with this, that you m=
ight
point me in the right direction?  The HOWTOs don't seem to offer much in =
this
regard (though I was able to find out a bit about the tunelp command).  I=
 would
like to reduce system overhead during the printing of large files, and
IRQ-driven printing should be faster at this than polling.  (Well, as fas=
t as
an inkjet can go, anyway)  ;>

As a side-note, neither interrupt shows up in `cat /proc/interrupts`, nor=
 does
either DMA channel under `cat /proc/dma`.  I dont really care about the D=
MA
stuff, but I would like to get the interrupts to "wake up".  (No, there a=
re no
hardware conflicts with other devices in my system.)

Any help would be most appreciated.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Ken Cormack
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.neo.rr.com/kcormack/

------------------------------

From: "Fred S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video problem
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 06:49:58 +0200

videocard: PM200a AGP
I don't get it installed.
I use Debian 2.0

Can anyone help me through this?

FS

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Shilt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound card: hardware or software problem?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 01:23:15 -0400

==============715264DE31996B519A06C10A

I was just playing around with the sound on my machine and finally got
it working.  I have the same card, but I couldn't tell you what I
actually did.  Do you have Gnome?  If so, run the audio mixer and turn
up the volumes.  You may also have to turn down the volume in Windows.
Apparently that was the main problem because I had the soundFX but
couldn't here a CD play.  After changing the levels I can play CD's now
too (with GnomeCD - I still have to work on x11amp).

Anyways, I've attached the various files that may help.

Kelly Ann Smith wrote:

> I was just trying to configure my soundcard under linux, and I
> had a weird problem.
>
> I ran sndconfig (after I found out what irq's etc to use).  There were
> lots of io addresses to set: mss_io and mpu_io, and I wasn't exactly
> sure which these were supposed to correspond to, since there were quite
> a few listed when I checked this under Windows.
>
> I ended up using 0x530 for mss_io and 0x330 for mpu_io, since I had
> seen somebody use these settings for configuring the same machine as
> I have.  (They had this info on a web page.)
>
> But when the sndconfig program asked me if I could hear the sound, I
> heard this loud high tone.  I figured that was the sound, but of
> course it wasn't.  The sound only went away when I turned the machine
> off (not even shutdown -r would turn it off).  I rebooted into
> Windows, and I could hear the same incredibly annoying sound when the
> volume was turned all the way up, but not when it was at medium or low
> level.
>
> I checked the Linux settings again; I'm not sure which setting my io
> (not my mss_io or mpu_io, but just my io) should be at; I wasn't
> given a choice by sndconfig, and my resulting setting (after looking
> at the /etc/conf.modules file) was 0x370; the web page I looked at
> had 0x220 for this value.
>
> I tried checking the sound system (in Linux) by cat-ing a file to
> /dev/audio.  I can hear the sound, but it's REALLY quiet.
>
> I even edited the /etc/conf.modules file and tried out both 0x370 and
> 0x220 for the 'io' parameter, and I still can't hear much.
>
> In Windows, I can hear sound perfectly (as a reasonable volume) except
> I also hear the high feedback-y like tone when my volume is turned up high.
>
> So my current situation is that I'm not sure if the sound works under
> Linux, since it's VERY hard to hear something as quiet as this.
>
> Windows sound seems to work, except for the feedback at high volumes.
>
> Some relevant stats:  I have a dual-boot (win98, redhat 5.2),
> laptop (Gateway 9100).  The soundcard is listed in sndconfig, and
> it's a Yamaha OPL3SAx.
>
> My current /etc/conf.modules file is:
>
> alias sound opl3sa2
> alias midi opl3
> options opl3 io=0x388
> options opl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io-0x530 irq=9 dma=0,1 mpu_io-0x330
>
> I'm not sure if I blew my soundcard or if this is purely a software
> problem; I appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks,
> Kelly
==============715264DE31996B519A06C10A

# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.18 1999/02/14 22:47:18 fox Exp $
# This is free software, see the sources for details.
# This software has NO WARRANTY, use at your OWN RISK
#
# For details of this file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
#
# For latest information and FAQ on isapnp and pnpdump see:
# http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/
#
# Compiler flags: -DREALTIME -DNEEDSETSCHEDULER -DABORT_ONRESERR
#
# Trying port address 0203
# Board 1 has serial identifier 81 ff ff ff ff 20 00 a8 65
# Board 2 has serial identifier 7c ff ff ff ff 80 38 74 40

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING

# Card 1: (serial identifier 81 ff ff ff ff 20 00 a8 65)
# Vendor Id YMH0020, No Serial Number (-1), checksum 0x81.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
# ANSI string -->OPL3-SAX Sound Board<--
#
# Logical device id YMH0021
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE YMH0020/-1 (LD 0

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0220
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0530
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0530
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
(IO 1 (BASE 0x530))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0388
#             IO base alignment 4 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
(IO 2 (BASE 0x330))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0330
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 2 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 3 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0330))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0370
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0370
#             IO base alignment 2 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
(IO 4 (BASE 0x370))
#       IRQ 5.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt
(INT 0 (IRQ  5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed type F
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL  0))
#       Next DMA channel 1.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed type F
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL  1))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0240
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0240
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0240))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0e80
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0e80
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x0e80))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0388
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
# (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0300
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0300
#             IO base alignment 2 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 3 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0300))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0ffe
#             IO base alignment 2 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 4 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0100))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9, 10 or 11.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed type F
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
#       Next DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed type F
# (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 0))

#       Start dependent functions: priority functional
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0280
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0530
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0f48
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x0530))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
# (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0300
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0334
#             IO base alignment 2 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 3 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0300))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0ffe
#             IO base alignment 2 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 4 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0100))
#       IRQ 3, 5, 7, 9, 10 or 11.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed type F
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
#       Next DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed type F
# (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 0))

#     End dependent functions
 (NAME "YMH0020/-1[0]{OPL3-SAX Sound Board}")
 (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id YMH0022
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE YMH0020/-1 (LD 1
#     Compatible device id PNPb02f

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0201
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0201
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 1
  (IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0201))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0202
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0202
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 1
# (IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0202))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0203
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0203
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 1
# (IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0203))

#       Start dependent functions: priority functional
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0204
#             Maximum IO base address 0x020f
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 1
# (IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0204))

#     End dependent functions
 (NAME "YMH0020/-1[1]{OPL3-SAX Sound Board}")
  (ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Card 2: (serial identifier 7c ff ff ff ff 80 38 74 40)
# Vendor Id PCT3880, No Serial Number (-1), checksum 0x7C.
#     Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
#     ANSI string -->PC-TEL HSP K56FLEX PNP D/F/V MODEM<--
#
# Logical device id PCT3880
#     Device support I/O range check register
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE PCT3880/-1 (LD 0

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x02e8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x02e8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
#  (IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x02e8) (CHECK))
#       IRQ 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
  (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x03e8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03e8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x03e8) (CHECK))
#       IRQ 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 2 (MODE +E)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x03f8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x03f8) (CHECK))
#       IRQ 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 2 (MODE +E)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x02f8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x02f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x02f8) (CHECK))
#       IRQ 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 2 (MODE +E)))

#     End dependent functions
 (NAME "PCT3880/-1[0]{PC-TEL HSP K56FLEX PNP D/F/V MODEM}")
  (ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)

==============715264DE31996B519A06C10A

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias sound opl3sa2
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options opl3sa2 mss_io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1 mpu_io=0x330 io=0x370

==============715264DE31996B519A06C10A

nls_iso8859-1           2020   1 (autoclean)
nls_cp437               3548   1 (autoclean)
vfat                   11516   1 (autoclean)
fat                    25664   1 (autoclean) [vfat]
opl3sa2                 3720   0
ad1848                 15920   0 [opl3sa2]
mpu401                 18416   0 [opl3sa2]
sound                  57208   0 [opl3sa2 ad1848 mpu401]
soundlow                 300   0 [sound]
soundcore               2372   7 [sound]

==============715264DE31996B519A06C10A

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.5-15 #1 Mon Apr 19 22:21:09 EDT 1999 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: MS Sound System (CS4231) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 0.0  Midi interface #1

Timers:
0: System clock
1: MS Sound System (CS4231)

Mixers:
0: OPL3-SAx and AD1848 (through MSS)
1: MS Sound System (CS4231)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: AWE64 ISAPNP Problems
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 05:43:03 GMT

I am running kernel 2.3.2, and I have been trying to get the soundcard
working for a long time.  Here is a short history
2.2.5:Bios=setupfornonPNPos's, it would only detect the soundcard at the
correct dma channels and ports, but the synth device was not detected
and I forgot to compile in ppp support (this explains why I did not
stick with 2.2.5
2.2.7:The only kernel on my system at this time I feel like compiling.
Basically, nothing I do works, pnpdumb(<--notatypo) DOESN'T EVEN DETECT
THE CARD.  the funny thing is that running the old kernel at the said
bus settings worked. (yes the sb module is configured in conf.modules)
2.3.2:I got smart and began to play with the bios extensively.  I have
figured out a new problem now.  I set the bios to be set up for PNP
operating systems (which took care of the card being partly configured
to begin with) and run isapnp again with the conf file set up correctly
(No interrupt or ioport or dma problems).  OK, now the second logical
device (LD 2) is failing the LD-readback check performed by isapnp
before it sets the ioports.  SO I set the VERIFYLD N. now isapnp runs
happily but when I try to load the awe_wave module insmod gives a
segmentation fault.  But the rest of the soundcard works. (the game port
and the normal sound, x11amp works :)).  I have given up recompiling the
kernel, I have compiled it with and without pnp supprt and the result is
the same.  The worst part-WINDOWS RUNS THE CARD JUST FINE!!! !@#@!#!.
Any ideas?

From: "Barry Carson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) Switchbox problems
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 01:40:03 -0500

Has anyone had any success finding a KVM switch that works between Win98 and
RedHat 6.0 machines?  (ps/2 mouse and keyboard)  I have tried 2 manual
switches.  Took them both back because they would lose the keyboard or mouse
after a few switches.   Just bought a Belkin OmniCube 2-port electronic
switch.  It seems pretty nice and works fine with the Win98 box but only the
keyboard works for the Linux box.  After startx, neither the keyboard or
mouse will work.  All I can do is telnet in and shutdown.

Has anybody else seen these problems, found solutions, or have any ideas?

From: "Jason O'Rourke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 22:57:55 +1000

If you've got Linux, why not just use LILO?  There's no need to invest in
third party software.

Jason.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...