  Re: ADSL modems and networks! newbie (Chem-R-Us)

From: "Eric Lengvenis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux
Subject: cmpci sound and RedHat 6.2
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:40:22 -0500

I recently purchased a system with an integrated sound card. I am running
RedHat 6.2 kernel 2.2.14-5. The sound card is cmpci. Right now the sound
works as a generic sound card, but I have been unable to compile the driver
which allows full functionality. It has 4-channels and S/PDIF which I would
like to use.

When I do a make xconfig, the sound option shows cmpci greyed out with
'(experimental)' beside it. It will not let me choose it. I downloaded the
2.4-test.4 kernel, and make xconfig lets me choose that option. I shied away
from a full kernel re-compile, because that is way beyond anything I have
done before.

Does anyone know how to get 2.2.14 to compile this driver? The driver was
supplied with the motherboard. (That is a good sign. more systems ship with
drivers for linux)

Any help is appreciated.
Eric Lengvenis

------------------------------

From: "Chris Lam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Brother HL-1240
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:52:37 GMT

I'm considering the purchase of the Brother HL-1240 laser printer. However,
Brother's website seems to make no mention of linux support whatsoever. Does
anyone have any experience with these printers under linux? I'm pretty sure
it is not a winprinter, but are there drivers available for linux to make
this printer work?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: who is responsible for the cache?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:02:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Schweikert wrote:

>I've been fighting for a while now trying to build gcc-2.95.2 on RH6.2,
>no luck yet. I have a few leads, one is that the L2 cache is getting
>trashed. So I would like to find out who is responsible for the cache?
>Is it the kernel, some libraries in the distro or some mysterious black
>magic?

AFAIK, it's the motherboard chipset.  Sounds like you've got hardware
problems to me.  Compiling something large (liek gcc or the kernel) puts a
lot of strain on memory, and I've had machines with flakey hardware that
seemed fine until I tried to compile something.  The symptoms of flakey RAM
or flakey cache are often random Sig-11's during compiles.  You CPU might
also be overheating -- check the CPU fan and make sure you're not
over-clocking anything.

>Any help, comments insight are appreciated. Also if there's a good trick
>to get gcc-2.95.2 compiling on RH6.2 I'd like to know. I am pretty close
>on just simply blaming it on RH. After all they must have had a reason
>to stay with gcc-2.91.66 instead of shipping gcc-2.95 with the 6.2

I had no problems compiling 2.95.2 under 6.0 or 6.1, though I haven't tried
it under 6.2.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  FROZEN ENTREES may
                                  at               be flung by members of

------------------------------

From: Richard Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-RECORD & HP8100
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:02:52 GMT

Any insights would be much appreciated.

First off some background...

- Running the Mandrake 7.1 distribution with the 2.2.15 kernel.
- HP 8100 CD-Writer Plus IDE
- Intel based PC

- cd-records scanbus gives the following output..

root@dogbert src]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.36
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
 0,0,0   0) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 8100 ' '1.0g' Removable CD-ROM
 0,1,0   1) 'SANYO   ' 'CRD-256P        ' '1.01' Removable CD-ROM
 0,2,0   2) *
 0,3,0   3) *
 0,4,0   4) *
 0,5,0   5) *
 0,6,0   6) *
 0,7,0   7) *
[root@dogbert src]#

- the cd writer works ok under win98
- some of the commands work fine (ie. "cdrecord -dev 0,0 -eject")
- the "write" light on the drive flashes, so I assume it is doing
something...
- tried with various types of cd-r's

BUT EVERYTIME I ATTEMPT TO CREATE A CD THE FOLLOWING OCCURS...

Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.36
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'HP      '
Identifikation : 'CD-Writer+ 8100 '
Revision       : '1.0g'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 1 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 7843840/7843840 (3830 sectors).
cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd:
retryable error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x02 Qual 0x00 (no seek complete) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 107.191s timeout 480s
cdrecord: Input/output error. mode select g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable
error
CDB:  55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 80
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x26 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in parameter list) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) error refers to data part, bit ptr 0 (not
valid)
field ptr 0
cmd finished after 0.076s timeout 40s

=====

Any idea's or even better solutions would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Rich Becker

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Logitech wheel mouse in mandrake 7.1
Date: 28 Jul 2000 00:07:36 -0400

Topher Cawlfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am unable to get my wheel mouse to work properly in Linux.  I'm using
> mandrake 7.1, KDE, and have a Logitech PS/2 mouseman+.  This same mouse
> worked just fine in RedHat Linux and gnome.  I believe I'm using XFree86
> version 3.3.6, if that helps.

I couldn't get my Logitech MousemanMarblePlus trackball to work until I
remembered that it worked in Win9x using the Intellimouse drivers. So I
used the IMPS/2 (Intellimouse) with wheel and that worked (and I also use
imwheel for the many programmes that don't recognize it otherwise,
e.g. Netscape)

(using TurboLinux 6 - kernel 2.2.14)

------------------------------

From: Jim Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SWBell DSL & Linux?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:13:33 GMT

Has anyone tried to run Southwestern Bell's DSL with Linux? They supply
a SpeedStream 5260 LanModem. Any help appreciated before I waste my
money.

------------------------------

From: Mike Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: initrd extends beyond end of memory
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:30:06 GMT

I'm using the Redhat 6.2 stock kernel, 2.2.14-5.0 I believe.  AMD K6-
2/500, 128MB Ram, two 20.4GB IDE hard drives.  I've got a RAID 1 root
partition set up(md0=hda5+hdc5), but I have a 20mb /boot partition on
/dev/hda1.  When I boot off of the floppy that the RH setup generated,
everything works perfectly.  When I boot off of the hard drive, I get a
message that says:

initrd extends beyond end of memory (0xc0fffee070 > 0xc0000080)

Then it disables initrd and it says Memory 0kb / 0kb and has problems
allocating cache tables or something, and it panics and dies.  I tried
doing a mkinitrd --with=raid1, to no avail.  I also tried simply copying
vmlinuz and initrd from the floppy, also the same error is produced.

Any ideas anyone?  This is really strange.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Robbins

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: SWBell DSL & Linux?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:34:40 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:13:33 GMT, Jim Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Has anyone tried to run Southwestern Bell's DSL with Linux? They supply
>a SpeedStream 5260 LanModem. Any help appreciated before I waste my
>money.

Not really, but all you really need is a supported modem, and IIRC that
one is ethernet (good!). Are they PPPoX? That may be a minor hurdle if
so, but certainly doable.

--
Hal B

From: Kevin Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Changing SCSI Cards - Boot Error Messages - SuSE 6.4
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:55:34 -0400

Creating a new initial ramdisk did the trick.  Thanks for the info.

Although I do have one more question - look at my *new* boot messages (below) -
is "enable_irq() unbalanced" something I should be worried about?

   .
   .
   .

<5>RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
<4>Uncompressing........................done.
<4>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
<6>(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 0/9/0
<6>(scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
<6>(scsi0) Warning - detected auto-termination
<6>(scsi0) Please verify driver detected settings are correct.
<6>(scsi0) If not, then please properly set the device termination
<6>(scsi0) in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted
<6>(scsi0) during machine bootup.
<6>(scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 YES, Ext-50 NO)
<6>(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 415 instructions downloaded

<4>enable_irq() unbalanced from d000ea36
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

        +-------- Should I be worried about this?

<4>scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.25/3.2.4
<4>       <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter>
<4>scsi : 1 host.
<6>(scsi0:0:5:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
<4>  Vendor: iomega    Model: jaz 1GB           Rev: J.83
<4>  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
<4>Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
<6>(scsi0:0:6:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
<4>  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-R   CW-7502    Rev: 4.10
<4>  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
<4>Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
<4>sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 8x/8x writer xa/form2 cdda tray
<4>SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 2091050 [1021 MB] [1.0 GB]
<4>sda: Write Protect is off
<4> sda: sda4
<4>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

   .
   .
   .

Many thanks,

Kevin Adams

From: Baron Chandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Freeze while booting w Promise Ultra100 card
Date: 28 Jul 2000 05:14:25 GMT

Peter Fleischer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
> RAM disk driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size
> loop: registered device at major 7
> PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
>         ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>         ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio

> After displaying these lines the system freezes.

I had this problem on my Asus-based motherboard. Apparently there were issues
with the BIOS that showed up with larger drives. After I upgraded the BIOS,
they worked like a top.

Baron.

------------------------------

From: Peter Teuben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MBR on a big IDE drive disappeared after reboot???
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 01:20:53 -0400

Here's a strange sounding story: a machine with a 30GB IDE drive on hda
and later added a 40GB IDE on hdb have been working fine for a few
weeks.
Today I rebooted the machine in order to install the CDR modules for
boottime, and I noticed (this machine runs  redhat6.2) Kudzo telling me
there was new hardware... ok, so i let it reconfigure.

hdb now looks blank, the MBR is 512 bytes of 0's....

Suggestions? Maybe the drive was working fine on one mode (e.g. LBA) and
now somehow via the BIOS or boot another mode (but which?) is being used
and thus may not look at the right block on the drive....

Of course the disk could also have had a major crash/problem, but it
sounds
a bit too coincidental right at a fresh boot and with Kudzo doing its
thing.

peter

the relevant part my current /etc/sysconfig/hwconfig file looks as
follows:

class: HD
bus: IDE
detached: 0
device: hda
driver: ignore
desc: "QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30.0"
physical: 16383/16/63
logical: 3649/255/63
-
class: HD
bus: IDE
detached: 0
device: hdb
driver: ignore
desc: "IBM-DTLA-307045"
physical: 16383/16/63                   <-- odd, same physical layout ???
logical: 5606/255/63

------------------------------

From: potempkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear ethernet problem
Crossposted-To: fa311
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:16:45 -0700

Jesus Christ!!!  At least I know now that people have having
the same problems  that I am.  I, too cannot get the source
for the fa311 driver to compile.  Netgear has done nothing
but give me the runaround in their support emails, including
everything that people have said here (telling me that it's
a Nat.Semi. chipset, etc...).  They also told me to go to
follow this link:

http://www.redhat.com/cgi-bin/support?solution&11-990500-0380&100-925000000&14-0&15-0&25-0&3-netgear&30-#top

But all it does is bring me to RedHat's main support page.
Supposedly there was supposed to be a document about the
fa310 which pretained also to the fa311, but there's nothing
to be found when searching RedHat's site.

Okaaaaaaaay....so, anyone know of any cheap NICs which _dO_
work (my 3Com EtherLinkIII (3x59x kernel module) works
great--to bad I can't find them in PCI anymore...)????

--potempkin

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: Albert Ulmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Subject: Re: If Linux, which?  If not Linux, what?  NOT flame-bait!
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:23:44 +0200

"David C." wrote:
> > If not, IMHO you can also try Mandrake Linux, which is said to be
> > quite good as well.

> Mandrake is RedHat, plus some customizations.

I am fully aware of that. But it is those customizations that make
Mandrake a better choice than Redhat.

Albert.

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RAID on exiistin IDE system
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 07:04:33 GMT

These worked for me.  I believe the Promise U/33 card has since been retired
and current products are Ultra/66 and/or /100.

ide0/1, IRQ 14/15 - standard motherboard
ide2/3, IRQ 7     - Promise Ultra/33 (disabled printer interrupt in BIOS)

Setup 1, RAID 0 ~ 1.8X single disk performance, massive space (these were
6.4MB IBM drives and I couldn't afford cutting edge 8GB :)  Even though the
U/33 used only a single interrupt, it outperformed the onboard Intel PIIX4
by 3-4% on single drive r/w tests.

ide0 = system disk
ide1 = CD, CDR
ide2/Mas + ide3/Mas = /dev/md0 (~12GB)
ide2/Sla + ide3/Sla = /dev/md1 (~12GB

Setup 2 was put up only for a day as an exercise, 3-disk RAID 5

ide0 = system disk, CD
ide1/Sla = CDR
ide1/Mas + ide2/Mas + ide3/Mas = /dev/md0 (~12GB)

Note that something like a 4-disk RAID anything on a single Promise would
get about 1/2 single disk performance due to ide channel contention.  You
don't disable the onboard ide.

If I was building a cheap storage server, I'd get 3 Promise cards and use
ide1 from the motherboard.
(http://www.centralcomputer.com/PriceList/Hardware/Controllers.htm)

DTLA-307045 45GB UATA/100 7200rpm............$289
Promise UATA/100 IDE PCI.....................$55

7 IDE drives = $2023
3 Ultra/100  = $ 165
               $2183

a) 7-drive RAID 5 (hot spare on ide1), = 225GB = $9.70/GB
b) 7-drive RAID 5 (no hot spare)       = 270GB = $8.08/GB

> I want to add two more identical drives, and set them up in a RAID array
> (RAID 5?), but I'm not sure how to proceed ... or if it can be done ...
> without a complete rebuild on the system.

You can add the controllers & drives, add raid support and make the raid set
with no more issues than adding and partitioning standard drives.

> If I have to do a rebuild/reinstall, would it make sense to go with an EIDE
> RAID controller (disable the onboard), or just bite the big one and install
> SCSI controllers & drives ($$$$$!)

I'll leave the above a) & b) using SCSI as an exercise.  Remember you'll
need 2 controllers to get any sort of performance and that RAID 5 always
uses one drive n the set as parity.

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: "Toast" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ADSL modems and networks! newbie
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:55:58 +0800

ok australia is getting adsl soon and i want to be prepared for it.
at the moment i have a local network with 192.168.0.x and i have a second
network card just sitting in the computer at the moment.

what i would like to know is how do you set up a network card to be the go
between from the adsl modem and internal network

can anyone give me a step by step of how to do this?
bear in mind i dont know much techiqual mumbo jumbo

------------------------------

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Storm Linux and Promise UDMA/66
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 02:44:16 -0700

hey guys
I'm trying to install storm linux 2000 v1.4 and I'm having
a little problem.  To start, it doesn't automatically find
my PCI promise card which my UDMA hard drive is attached
to.  I added "ide2=0xefe0,0xefae" at the boot prompt (I
know the numbers are right) and it found the drive during
bootup.  When I went to setup the partitions, it only
recognized my other hard drive. (/dev/hda)  I couldn't
choose /dev/hde, and I need to install it there.
I've been running various linuxes for over a year now, most
often Red Hat and Suse.  I have newer hardware, and SuSe
6.4 chokes on it (crashes every couple minutes or every
day) and Red Hat corrupts itself if I use Gnome.  I was
hoping Storm might work for me, plus I wanted to give a
debian distribution a shot.  It is really hard to find
helpful information for this distro, and the website isn't
what I like to call "useful."  Any help/advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 01:58:23 -0700
From: Chem-R-Us <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ADSL modems and networks! newbie

Toast wrote:

> ok australia is getting adsl soon and i want to be prepared for it.
> at the moment i have a local network with 192.168.0.x and i have a second
> network card just sitting in the computer at the moment.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
NIC

> what i would like to know is how do you set up a network card to be the go
> between from the adsl modem and internal network
>
> can anyone give me a step by step of how to do this?
> bear in mind i dont know much techiqual mumbo jumbo

OK. I have the same setup. This machine is a gateway to the internet for
the rest of my machines.

#1) The second NIC (ADSL) will have to be configured according to the
spec of your ADSL supplier. I have static IP, and my second NIC is
configured with that address. You may need to use DHCP to configure for
dynamic IP.

#2) Your ADSL NIC to the internet will have to be your default route.
'man route' and `man netstat' to learn how to do this.

#3) I have IP masquerading turned on and configured. See
/usr/doc/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO to see how this is done.

Enjoy.

--

Chem-R-Us