Date: 03 Jun 99 08:23:37 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Terabite Plus Filesystems
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.sys.hp.misc

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Stefan Monnier;

Well, to continue this thread even more OT, did anyone make note that
one of the design rags I get had a short article in yesterday's incoming
issue, noting that IBM, SCO, and another that slips my mind, have made a
first port of Unix to the ia64(Merced)?  Somewhat based on the AIX core
according to the half pager.  I left the rag at work or I'd give names
and page numbers.

While the ia64/Merced is not yet shipping in qty's, such an announcement
should be the alarm clock to get the linux folks at least awake
vis-a-vis 64 bit cpu's.  If not, the 'Enterprise' market will be lost.

IMO it absolutely must scale up to survive 10 years from now.

>> Well after all the sh** that I have taken because I dared to stand up and
>> just *question* using NT versus Unix on this thread, I open up June 1999
>> WinNT mag and on page 78, is a story about NCSA using a 192 processor
>> cluster of off the shelf NT dual processor boxes, using off the shelf NT
>> SP3. While I understand that this is not a terabite file system being used
>> in it, you Unix Bigots that have said that NT doesn't scale ought to at
>> least read the article. The person managing the system apparently has been
>> very happy with it. Considers it an unqualified success.

 SM> WinNT mag is at least as biased towards NT as comp.os.linux.* is towards
 SM> Linux. Being mostly financed by Microsoft, they are unlikely to feature
 SM> an article about how NT is unusable. Now, for the actual content, you'll
 SM> note that indeed, a cluster of 96 bi-processors has very little to do
 SM> with what was being discussed. You don't mention what the cluster was
 SM> used for, but you'll note that I expect most OS designers to look at such
 SM> clusters as the evidence that the OS itself doesn't scale (the 192
 SM> processors were not a single-system image).  NT machines are also very
 SM> often clustered for reliability reasons
 SM> (failover and friends) which is sometimes considered a tribute to NT's
 SM> instability, I don't know if that was the case for that NCSA example.

 SM> All unix vendors like Sun, HP, ... sell machines with terabyte
 SM> filesystems on a regular basis, which is something that cannot be said of
 SM> NT (or Linux for that matter). So, yes, maybe NT can deal with such
 SM> amounts of disk, maybe Linux can deal with it also, but I haven't seen
 SM> any evidence for such competence, whereas there is ample evidence for the
 SM> other Unix guys, hence the recommendation to go with such a machine.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III

From: Totally Lost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,csu.unix.linux
Subject: Re: Dual Celeron's and SMP Performance Problems
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 15:37:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  CB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[bulk of extensive interrogation deleted]

> I am perfectly willing to entertain the possibility that some of your
assertions
> may be on the money - but you really didn't offer more than some
general
> theoretical arguments and cautions.  Well, I don't have a Linux server
to run
> through the paces, so I'm not much help either...
>
> CB

It seems pointless to respond. I offered some seasoned caution, the
concerns should be explored by anyone that is considering using a
Celeron as a production server, or with other than small footprint
applications. This guy appears both hostile, and doesn't even have
a stake in the outcome.

We are continually offered advise, some must personally experience the
pain before they are convinced of negative outcomes. The Darwin awards
exist for a reason :)

From: Joseph Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: smp multi cpu motherboards - multithreading
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 20:40:43 +0800

The prices vary A LOT among different brands even with similar set of
features...is that related to performance(e.g. system bandwidth)?

Joseph

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Asus Motherboard
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 16:20:31 GMT

I am building a linux box and am wondering if anyone with experience
with the Asus P5A and linux would care to comment. Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael C. Vergallen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.sys.hp.misc
Date: 3 Jun 1999 13:28:08 GMT

On 03 Jun 99 08:23:37 -0500, Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>While the ia64/Merced is not yet shipping in qty's, such an announcement
>should be the alarm clock to get the linux folks at least awake
>vis-a-vis 64 bit cpu's.  If not, the 'Enterprise' market will be lost.
The Linix folks are allready working with 64 Bits systems on the Alpha..
and the Ultra Sparc... as for what merced is conserned they are allready
working on the port to Merced.

Michael
--
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28                  http://www.double-barrel.be/mvergall/

------------------------------

From: "Filipe Morais" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X server for S3 Trio 3D  [S3 86C365] -> Does anybody knows where to get?
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 23:56:27 +0100

Yah!

but... 640*480... not a big resolution..

Filipe

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.sys.hp.misc
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 14:21:05 +0100

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Stefan Monnier;
>
> Well, to continue this thread even more OT, did anyone make note that
> one of the design rags I get had a short article in yesterday's incoming
> issue, noting that IBM, SCO, and another that slips my mind, have made a
> first port of Unix to the ia64(Merced)?  Somewhat based on the AIX core
> according to the half pager.  I left the rag at work or I'd give names
> and page numbers.
>
> While the ia64/Merced is not yet shipping in qty's, such an announcement
> should be the alarm clock to get the linux folks at least awake
> vis-a-vis 64 bit cpu's.  If not, the 'Enterprise' market will be lost.
>
> IMO it absolutely must scale up to survive 10 years from now.

[snippity]

AFAIK, Linux is ported to 64 bit architectures ... Alpha, etc. There is
a lot of effort in getting Linux on to all platforms, and Merced support
has been spoken of for a little while already. IIRC, there was talk that
one of the reasons that Intel invested in Redhat was so that Redhat
could help get a "good" OS on to the Merced when the Merced is released
because it was unlikely that the other merced "seller", NT, would have
a  version ready for the Merced Launch.

My understanding is that Linux will be on the Merced before NT ... ;-)

gus

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:34:47 GMT

Hi:

>So you'd rather redo the kernel to put in a device driver
>than reboot once to load a PnP driver?
>--
>Thlayli

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.geocities.com/~thlayli23x/home.html

You must have the most plain vanilla hardware in the world.

Yes. Building a new kernel is one of the greatest things
about installing a Linux OS. It allows you to customize
Linux to your specific hardware. You should try it before
you start bitching
about it. It requires one reboot, not dozens!

And I know X11R6 sux - that's why I don't use it. I keep
trying
but in the end X11R6 is a piece of poorly executed shit!

As regards my other experiences with W95/8, you have not
commented. I believe your experience is very unusual.

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Critisism/advice needed
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 16:22:22 GMT

Hi,

I in the process of build a very simliar machine.  Currently I have
major problems with the PCI slot/boards.  We think its the PCI slots
them selves are bad.  Because, Suse 6.1, Redhat 6.0, win98, winnt 4.0
can't see the pci cards or says that they are bad.  ASUS probe see them
but says that they (the boards: network, modem and scsi, and a PCI
serial port add on are all non-functioning.) are not working properly.
I'll let you know what happen.  Tommorow I having test the mother board
out.

My setup:

> - ASUStek P2B-DS, Slot1, Dual, SCSI motherboard
> - 1 x 128 MB SDRAM, PC-100, ECC
> - 1 x Intel Pentium III 500 MHz (Intel in a box)
> - Creative Riva TNT, 16MB AGP graphics card
> - Creative Sound awe64  gold isa card
> - SMC 10/100+ PCI network adapter
> - Sony scsi CDROM/RW
> - Toshiba 36x IDE CD-ROM drive
> - generic 1.44 MB floppy drive
> - ATX Full Tower, 300W
> - Atec  speakers
> - MS natual keyboard, PS/2
> - Logitech Trackmann Marble FX mouse extravaganza
> - NEC EX21, 21" monitor
> - Ditto mega tape system (not hooked up yet)
> - Maxtor 10 gig IDE HD
> - 2 winchester 4 gig HD

In article <7gpnl4$gbi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Henrik Otterstr=?ISO-8859-1?B?+A==?=m"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there, fellow linux'ers ;-)
>
> I'm about to buy hardware according to the following list. I would
love to
> hear your comments and/or recommendations regarding using this setup
as a
> Linux development workstation. Primary for C/C++ development but
> occasionally for testing different Internet Servers (ftp, http, dns,
sql,
> etc.)
>
> I've tried to check every component against hardware-combatibility
databases
> on the net and found the list OK, but perhaps your personal
expierience will
> make me reconsider my choices?
>
> I am planning on using the S.u.S.E 6.1 distro on this box.
>
> Please feel free to recommend something else. I have little
expierience with
> PC-hardware, so I do not know if this is a good list of choices.
>
> Heres the tentative list:
>
> - ASUStek P2B-DS, Slot1, Dual, SCSI motherboard
> - 2 x 128 MB SDRAM, PC-100, ECC
> - 2 x Intel Pentium II 400 MHz (Intel in a box)
> - ASUS V3400TNT, 16MB AGP graphics card
> - Creative Sound Blaster Live! value, PCI soundcard
> - Intel PRO/100+ PCI network adapter
> - IBM Ultrastar 9LZX, 9.1 GB Ultra2 LVD harddisk
> - Toshiba 40x SCSI CD-ROM drive
> - Panasonic 1.44 MB floppy drive
> - ATX Mini Tower, 200W Low-Noise
> - SoundBlaster PcWorks 100 speakers
> - Keytronic KT-2000 105 tasters keyboard, PS/2
> - Logitech Trackmann Marble FX mouse extravaganza
> - Sony MultiScan 200PST, 17" monitor
>
> Also: I've considered buing a singe PIII 500Mhz instead of the dual
PII

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux program to exercise Dual-CPU system?
Date: 3 Jun 1999 13:35:41 GMT

Scott Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm putting together an overclocked dual-celeron system.

> Is there a program that will test both processors and scan the memory and
> pretty much make sure that everything is working OK?  I'd like to use this
> to adjust the various memory settings in the BIOS.

> There are some programs for Windows, but is there anything for Linux that
> will do both CPUs?  Or run two copies of the same program or something?

To exercise a system, there's nothing like a good old fashioned kernel build.
To really pound it, edit the MAKE definition in linux/Makefile to read
'MAKE=make -j'.  As explained in linux/Documentation/smp.txt, this allows
make to start as many compilations at one time as it feels like, which will
pound the cpu's (load > 10.0 IIRC -- it's been too long since I've recompiled
myu kernel), hit the memory, and do a lot of I/O as well.  Time the results
and compare them to the results when running a non-SMP kernel.

Granted, this isn't a measured 'testg`0%r se, but it sure does pound on the
system.  Have fun!

--
====================================
Joshua Baker-LePain

------------------------------

From: "andrew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Subject: Re: ABit BH6: 4 PCI cards
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 22:51:18 +1000

Nvidia have just released Linux drivers.

news:7j5j8e$dhg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Fulton B. Gonzalez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,hk.comp.os.linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Samba cannot print
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:43:41 -0400

On Tue, 01 Jun 1999, «Ë¼´¤H wrote:
>I setup samba 2.0.4 in Redhat 6.0. A HP 6P is connected to it. I can print
>ascii and postcript(using ghostscript) in the linux box. However, I cannot
>print from Windows client though I can mount the home directory and other
>shares. The print job sent to the queue and disappears afterward but the LED
>in my printer do not blink!!! I find nothing in /var/spoold/samba. My
>smb.conf is as follows. Can anyone help?
>
># Global parameters
>[global]
> workgroup = NEWBRIGHT.COM
> netbios name = NBMAIL
> server string = Samba Server
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 50
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> local master = No
> dns proxy = No
> wins server = 202.232.1.254
>
>[homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> read only = No
> browseable = No
>
>[printers]
> comment = All Printers
> path = /var/spool/samba
> print ok = Yes
> browseable = No
>
>[_source]
> path = /_source
> write list = fred, bill

I solved this problem by un-commenting "printing=bsd" is the global parameters
section of smb.conf; and adding the line (this is from memory) "print command
= lpr -P %p %s" to the printers section.

Fulton B. Gonzalez
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University

------------------------------

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 05:57:36 -0700

Brian wrote:

> [...]
> machine! All my old wonderful DOS utilities no longer work
> in the New Windows DOS!
>
> I finally re-installed W95 - an even more mindless
> procession of hand-holding and reboots to get the system up
> and running - we are talking about HOURS of installing
> different drivers, flipping different CDs and floppies into
> play, REBOOTING AGAIN AND AGAIN!
>
> Alas, W95 is finally installed and running as well as it
> can - needs to be rebooted several times a day but can
> finally play games again (all W95/8 is good for is games and
> Internet Explorer with Outlook Express). I wouldn't dare
> trust Windows with any serious work - it has even
> shit-canned ALL my mail and newsgroup files on a number of
> occasions for NO APPARENT REASON - I have learned to backup
> these files on a daily basis to a different partition since
> I lost several weeks of correspondence on one occasion.
>
> Linux, on the other hand, is bliss! I have installed
> Slackware on all my machines and it is the only OS on two of
> them. It routinely installs in under 20 minutes from CD and
> I can have a new custom kernel baked and running in under an
> hour. Keep in mind that this does not include the X Windows
> system which I rarely install. The only times I have to
> reboot are when playing with the kernel or making hardware
> changes (which I do often).
>
> Linux like W95/8 has hardware requirements but not to the
> degree that W95/8 demands. I love the CLI (command line
> interface) and am constantly learning new procedures and
> shortcuts in Linux whereas the W95/8 interface is mainly
> about appearances. Further, W95/8 has the most annoying set
> of glitches that come and ago, apparently at random!
>
> Windows is not easy to install, even when things go
> smoothly. The hours of rebooting, driver installation,
> moronic standard settings, cryptic registry settings (could
> they get any worse?) and the complete loss of all
> traditional DOS functionality (remember the DOS online help
> system - all gone). I also recall all the times that W95/8
> insisted that a piece of installed hardware was operating
> correctly only to find conflicts with I/O or IRQs - talk
> about obfuscation.
>
> Windows 95/8 has a pretty GUI and an alright game engine but
> it's dangerous unreliability and lack of utility prevents it
> from being a serious workhorse.
>
> Linux Rules when it comes to installation speed and
> accuracy!
>
> Just one guy's opinion.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Brian
>
> Christopher Clement wrote in message
> <7j37f7$hsc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >How do you make a new boot disk????  Uh..start, settings,
> Control Panel,
> >Add/Remove Programs, Windows Startup Disk tab, Create Disk,
> insert floppy,
> >done.  Or better yet,  My Computer, insert floppy, right
> click on A:, check
> >copy system files, start, done.  Or...in DOS,  format a:/s.

Amen!!! Don't forget about the constant "Windows has found new hardware
and is installing drivers for it...". You end up with 100 copies of all
your drivers, this happens every time I accidentally start Windows with
my  external modem turned on. I don't know how many drivers it needs for
the same modem ;) !!

jamess

------------------------------

From: Ray Yau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: ny tips to install sblive value module.
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 21:48:38 +0800

hello,

here is the method i used to install the sblive value driver to my
redhat 6.0 + cle v 0.8.

first download the driver from creative hp. untar it and read the README
file.
if u are using the cle 2.2.5 kernel, copy the sblive.o-2.2.5 to
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15CLE/msic/sblive.o

go to /etc, edit the conf.modules and add the following line to this
file:
alias sound sblive

then go to /etc/rc.d, edit the rc.local and add this two lines at the
end of this file and save it:

insmod -f sblive
modprobe sblive

the last thing to do is to reboot the system. u will find that there is
a fail message during the boot up but it does matter.

i hope this can help some of u.

thanks.

ray

------------------------------

From: westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 18:25:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Tempman1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike Bartman wrote:
>
> > >We have
> > >dozens of vendors creating and selling C++ or Java compilers. And
these compilers are
> > >written to a standard (especially Java.) Imagine buying a C++
> > >compiler from a single vendor only - that would suck.
> > >Other examples include plugins that seamlessly allow your web
> > > browser to work with new data types.

> > Compilers and plugins are one thing...OSs are another.

> > If a plugin, or other user code, has a fault, the process dies and
> > the
> > OS reports/logs/fixes this trouble.  It just affects the one process
> > though, and all other processing on the system continues unaffected.

> If the plugin runs in a different process space from the application,
> the plugin crash will not
> affect the application. If component runs in its own process space,
> its crash will not bring
> down the OS. If the component is written to a well-documented and
> well-specified interface,
> there are less chances of crashes than an undocmented component
> created by the vendor.

This can be applied to everything in the system - file systems, device
drivers, GUI's. The main design work goes into getting a good interface.

> > If the OS dies, *everything* dies.

> > Which is worse: 1) a circuit breaker in your house trips out and
> > your
> > microwave stops half way through cooking dinner.  2) a power plant
> > near your house shuts down and *everyone's* micro wave stops half
> > way
> > through cooking dinner.?  For you it's the same either way, but I'm
> > sure your neighbors would have a different opinion! :^)

> If the microkernel is correct and noncrashable, you wont be able to
> crash the rest of the OS.

> > >Device drivers are merely interfaces between general purpose
> > >software and hardware devices.
> > >I don't consider device drivers to be significant components. They
> > >are merely adapters between the software and the hardware.

> > >I want major components of the OS to be developed by different
> > >vendors.

> > So you want your system to be flakey?  Why?

N.b. Do you think that an all-Microsoft system is significantly less
flaky than one that includes software from other vendors?

> That's the way it's going to be -- whether you like it or not. It will
> not be flaky, instead it
> will be bullet-proof. No OS builder will want to buy a 'flaky' buggy
> component. Crashes will be a thing of the past.

> Whether you realize this or not -- many commodities are built using
> parts from different
> vendors. Examples include airplanes,
> cars, toys, and of course.. computers (what is the ratio of hardware
> failure -to- software crash
> ? 0.0001 )

When a component does just one thing, it is much easier to verify that
it does it right. Software components with clearly defined roles and
restricted capabilities will be inherently more reliable.

The trick will be in combining these components into reliable systems.

--

J.

From: Jim McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mounting CD Rom
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 09:51:26 -0400

Try the following :

mkdir /mnt/zip
(Creates a directory called zip if you don't have it already
Mount -t vfat hdb /mnt/zip (Mount -t ext2 hdb /mnt/zip for Linux format)

(Mounts the zip drive (hdb ... mine is the second IDE device))

Forget how to format in Linux format .... did see something in
comp.os.linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Walton)
Subject: LS120 and 720K Disks
Date: 3 Jun 1999 13:53:05 GMT

Has anyone succesfully used a LS120 drive under linux with 720K disks?
1.44MB and 120MB disks work fine for me, but 720K disks give the following:

hda: 720kB, 80/2/9 CHS, 75 kBps, 512 sector size, 720 rpm
hda: The drive reports both 737280 and 0 bytes as its capacity

The second message is repeated every time I try to access the disk.
Just wondering if it is a Linux problem or a problem with my LS120 drive?

Chris

= Chris Walton - LFCS Postgraduate (JCMB rm: 1404) - email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] =