From: Karim El Founas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multi serial port on linux.
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:37:36 +0200

Hello, I'm searching for a multi-port IO card to have up to 16 RS232
serial port on a PC Intel.

I've found the Intelliport (4 or 8 port by card) from Computone but the
dirvers for Linux are in beta version.

Thank you.

-- Karim EL FOUNAS --
Avenue Prince Jérôme Bonaparte, 34 - 1420 Braine-l'Alleud, Belgique
Tel+Fax: 02/387.32.34 - Mobile: 0495/57.32.34
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://members.xoom.com/elfounas/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (buce)
Subject: Re: Linux with the Dell Dimension Series
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:41:54 GMT

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 20:08:30 -0500, "Bobby D. Bryant"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I am new to the Linux hardware bit and would very
>> much appreciate some advice.  I am looking to buy
>> the Linux Diemsion Series Pentium III box as advertised
>> on their home page.  My budget is $2000 and with the
>> components that they have recommended for this series
>> of machine is comes to a nice 1857 dollars, within
>> budget.  How do I check if the components are compatible
>> with Linux?   It does not say on their web page.  I am
>> interested in getting the whole multimedia stuff.  Are
>> these things supported by Linux?  I would be interested
>> in installing Linux, but I am in a hurry to get a machine
>> and if it would be too expensive to do so or take too
>> long, I could forget about it.
>>
>> Many Thanks,
>> Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> Subuddh
>
>If you know what distribution/version of Linux you want to run, go to
>the distributor's Web site and find their hardware compatibility lists.
>Unfortunately, I think you're going to find that Dell is using some
>things that don't have Linux support (winmodems, sound cards, etc), but
>you should check the lists just to be sure.
>
>Bobby Bryant
>Austin, Texas

Just be careful what you order....sound card wise, for example, get
the SB live, which has newly released (very alpha i think) drivers. No
modems will work unless you ask for a 3com USR python (pnp ISA
hardware modem) but everything else should be fine.  You'll pretty
much be on your own for support, etc.. though.

Optiplex boxes *might* be better--they are sold w/ Red Hat
preinstalled nowadays, as are workstations ( a 210 might suit you
needs)

Good Luck!

------------------------------

From: Steve Legowik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with serial ports on Amptron PM-9800 motherboard
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:52:09 -0400

I posted this problem before, about a month or two ago.  At the time I
convinced myself that the problem had to be hardware related, and
returned the board for repair.  However, after having gone through four
boards (one swapped at the retailer and two with Amptron directly) and
experienced the same problem, I am ready to see if I overlooked
something software wise.  (Either that, or Amptron has a serious Quality
Assurance problem!)

The problem is that the onboard serial ports, COMM1 and COMM2, only seem
capable of sending characters, but not receiving them.  With a serial
analyser connected to the serial port I can see characters on the
transmit line (pin 3 on DB-25 connector) from a command like:

cat >/dev/ttyS0

However, when I connect the transmit line back to the receive line on
the serial port (pin 2 on a DB-25 connector) I stop seeing the
transmitted characters using the same command to send to the port.  The
only thing I can think of that would cause these symptoms is an internal
short on the board.  If the receive line were shorted out it could pull
down the transmit line, preventing me from seeing the transmitted
characters.  (However it seems unlikely that this could happen on four
successive boards.)

Anyone out there have any ideas?  On my previous two Linux systems I had
no such problems with the serial ports.  I had them both talking PPP
with my internet provider and using the mouse.  With the current system
I can do neither.  (I am about to the point of chucking the Amptron
board in the trash and buying different motherboard, but I hate to admit
defeat.)  Is there some BIOS or Linux misconfiguration that could cause
this problem?

-steve

------------------------------

From: Mathias Puetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus Motherboard
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:16:00 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am building a linux box and am wondering if anyone with experience
> with the Asus P5A and linux would care to comment. Thanks!

I have set up two boxes with the ASUS P5A and AMD K6-2 chips
which run very decently. As mentioned by others UDMA
(or even Busmaster DMA) is not yet supported for the ALI chipset
of this board by the standard 2.0 or 2.2 kernels, thus disk access
will be slow (polled IO mode through BIOS, high CPU usage).
Nevertheless, it runs quite fast under the stable kernels.
However, an upgrade to the recent development kernel 2.3.5
activated busmastering, and I havent encountered problems so far.
As with any Super7 boards pick your PC 100 SDRAM wisely,
go for brand labels even if you pay 20% more for your memory.
That way you can avoid most of the headaches other people have.

Mathias

Mathias Puetz
Advanced Materials Lab / University of New Mexico
1001 University SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106
phone: (505)272-7130    +    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I can't get my Logitech mouse to work at all
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:35:55 +0200

Mike wrote:
> I have a Logitech 3-button mouseman and I get no response at all in
> X-windows.  I've tried mouseconfig, XF86Setup, XConfigurator, and
> xf86config and none of them work to fix it.  I've tried using
> Logitech and Microsoft as my mouse configurations and neither of them
> gives me a response.

If the mouse is serial it should work with the logitech mouseman
protocol. I should also work with the Microsoft protocol, but then you
might not be able to use the third button.

However if the mouse isn't serial but PS/2 you should use PS/2 protocol
and also make sure that your kernel support PS/2 mouse. There is more
info about this in the BusMouse HowTo.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: can't print on parellel port
Date: 12 Jun 1999 17:09:47 GMT

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:14:41 -0500, Shah Parag S
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       i have an epson dot matrix 24 pin printer. i am using rh 5.2 where
>using the control panel,  i am not able tp print the test page.
>the error message is as follows :
>       lpr : connect : connection refused.

Looks like you either do not have lpd running or it's not even installed.
Use 'ntsysv' to ensure it's installed (and configure it to run at
boot-time).

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: "Zoltan Perhacs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: E1/T1 telephony interface card
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:11:26 +0200

Hello !

I'm looking for a card which has Linux drivers for E1/T1 telephony
applications & voice processing.

Thanks

    Zoltan Perhacs

------------------------------

From: prowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rockwell V.90 K56Flex Data, Fax, Speakerphone PCI Modem
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 05:09:44 +1000

Richard Natal wrote:

> Just tow questions.....
> -How can I do my Rockwell V.90 K56Flex Data, Fax, Speakerphone PCI Modem run
> under Linux ???
> -Where can I find drivers about my modem ???(for linux of course)
>
> Thanks !

Rockwell HCF modems are winmodems from what I can remember. (On the
previous repliers note)

------------------------------

From: prowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logitech Soundman Wave.
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 05:21:41 +1000

Yes, I have a Logitech Soundman Wave, left over from an old Winbox I had
which I thought I would try in a Linux box I have just started setting
up
since it says it was supported.

My problem is pnpdump can not find the card (So I am guessing it is not
ISA plug and pray ? since I have lost the manuals to it), tried a few
combos
with kernel compiles etc then found out the OSS that comes with SUSE6.1
has a registered version on it so I thought I would give that a bash.

Problem is, when I select the Soundman Wave entry when setting it all
up it asks for /dos/data/midi0001.bin file which it can not find. umm..
where can I get said file from ?

Anyone else using a SOundman Wave OK ?

- Stupid questions'R'Us.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Subject: Re: Matrox Millenium II and XF86 probs
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:37:52 GMT

On 11 Jun 1999 00:33:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
wrote:

>Kevin, find the HorizSync and VertRefresh lines in XF86Config in
>the "Monitor" section for your monitor and put the correct
>frequency ranges there (from your monitor manual). The X server
>will then choose a mode the monitor can digest.
>
>Hope this helps
>Steffen.

Thanks for help Steffen,

I have my settings set to those in the manual for the monitor
and it says

Horizontal  27.0 - 110.0kHz
Vertical 50 - 90Hz

the monitor will support a resolution of 1600 x 1200, so it's not like
I'm asking too much of it.

I put these figures in on xf86config and yet the server still appears
to try and run my monitor too fast.

It looks like I may have to try and understand the config file, could
take some time though.

Kevin.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

   ^ ^ ^ , , ^ ^ ^
  / \ \ \0 0/ / / \  What, No Sig ?
_/_/_/    ^    \_\_\_

------------------------------

From: "GTE News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I use an on-board NIC?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:21:45 GMT

I just got an el-cheap-o PC.  It seems to have everything build onto the
motherboard, including the NIC.  It works fine with Win98, but how can I get
Linux to see the NIC?  It's not any brand listed in the list of Linux NICs
supported by the kernel.  Do I need to use "ifconfig" and give the i/o
address, irq, hardware address, and stuff like that?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kppp
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:59:56 GMT

The first thing to do is to add 'debug'
and 'kdebug 3' into pppd arguments in kppp
account setup. Then post the resulting log
in /var/log/messages back to this group

In article <7jjivb$68f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Pian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi all....
>
> i still can't logging to internet using kppp
dialer in mandrake 6.0...it
> works perfectly in redhat before i switch to
mandrake 6.0 .....anybody here
> facing the same problem ?...i'm using Merz 33.6
External Voice Modem...

> this is the error message :
> localhost pppd[1381] : pppd 2.3.7 started by
root, uid 0
> localhost pppd[1381] : Using interface ppp0
> localhost pppd[1381] : Connect: ppp0 <---
> /dev/ttys1
> localhost pppd[1381] : Hangup (SIGHUP)
> localhost pppd[1381] : Modem hangup
> localhost pppd[1381] : Connection terminated
> localhost pppd[1381] : Connect time 0.3 minutes
>
> i've tried changing the ttys1 to cua1 but the
same error message

From: "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jun 1999 13:13:02 PDT

Mike wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Logitech 3-button mouseman and I get no response at all in
> X-windows.  I've tried mouseconfig, XF86Setup, XConfigurator, and
> xf86config and none of them work to fix it.  I've tried using Logitech
> and Microsoft as my mouse configurations and neither of them gives me
> a response.  I also tried to killall gpm to no avail.  I know the
> mouse is good (it works in Windows) so I'm sure that I'm just making a
> small oversight somewhere, I just don't know where else to look.
> Please send help.

First, is it a serial mouse?  If so, is the serial port sharing an IRQ
with anoher serial port?  For example, if you have a COM1 and a COM3 (on
a modem, maybe) they might both be using IRQ 4.  That works in Win95 but
not in either Linux or WinNT; you may have to change the IRQ on your
modem in that case, that is, if you can change you modem's IRQ at all.
(To diagnose this problem, look under Control Panel / System in Win95,
where you can find out what IRQ the serial ports are using.)

I had some problem with Logitech PS/2 mice when I installed thenm as
Logitech mice in Redhat 5.2, but when I used the "generic 3-button
mouse" setting it worked fine, so that's what I use.

Yours WDK - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:06:56 -0600
From: Gong Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cmi8330 sound card

Hi, has anybody got this sound card working in linux? I can't make it
work.

Gong

------------------------------

From: David Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape Library Support
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:34:05 GMT

==============42FCD77DAA9D0F704C6D11BE

Just wondering if anyone knows if Linux supports tape libraries or
stackers.  I'd like to implement Linux as an Enterprise solution, but am
lacking this one crucial service... BACKUP!

--
David Christensen
Senior Systems Engineer

Dynamic Systems, Inc.
120 West Bellevue Drive Suite 10
Pasadena, CA  91105
(626)795-4101 x200
(626)683-2768 Fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============42FCD77DAA9D0F704C6D11BE

begin:vcard
n:Christensen;David
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Dynamic Systems, Inc.;Engineering
adr:version:2.1;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Senior Systems Engineer
note:The Man!
x-mozilla-cpt:;-26464
fn:David Christensen
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Bumby)
Subject: Re: printing with 2.2.5 kernel
Date: 12 Jun 1999 15:38:09 -0400

maurizioc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Can anyone tell me how can I configure my RedHat 6.0 for printing with
>lp1 instead of lp0?

Is this *really* what you want?  The first printer is now lp0 although
not all of the documentation recognizes this.

>If I pass parameters to the kernel at boot time, I have an error message
>during the boot, so I do not
>what else can I do.

Are there signs that drivers for parport_0 are loaded?

>My printer (if this info can be useful) is a EPSON Stylus Color II.
>Thanks

This may affect what you need in your /etc/printcap file.  Make sure
you have one, and that it contains an entry that corresponds to your
printer.  Your distribution should have set this up, calling it
"configuring the printer".  If this doesn't give what you want, the
manpage for the file will give some clues on editing it.

--
R. T. Bumby **  Rutgers Math || Amer. Math. Monthly Problems Editor 1992--1996
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       ||

------------------------------

From: "George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with modem
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 03:39:31 +0800

    I am very new to linux. I am now using Rehat 5.2 and I wanna set up my
modem to work. How can i make linux to know my modem exist? My modem is
Hayes accura 56k +fax (v.90)

Regards,
George

------------------------------

From: "Len Maziarski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Opti 931 problem
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:04:30 -0400

I've got an Opti 931 sound board with joystck, etc.  I haven't bben able to
get it to work.  I found the attached instructions, but (as a newbie), I
really don't understand them.  Can anyone translate these into newbie terms,
so I can try it out and learn along the way.

I am using Col 2.2

Thanks,
    Len

begin 666 Opti.txt
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""@H`
`
end

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help: SMC EZ on Compaq Deskpro EP/SP
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 18:54:47 GMT

Hello,

I am trying to get working a linux kernel ( 2.2.9 ) on a
Compaq Deskpro EP/SP using a SMC EZ 1211(TX) card.
I tried inserting the module with the io address as parameter
but with no result... Also i tried to compile the kernel with
no other device as

Can anybody help me ??

thank you in advance,

Ion Constantinescu