Linux-Hardware Digest #476, Volume #12           Tue, 14 Mar 00 11:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: x-window configuration problem w/RH 6.1 (Jean-Philippe Rohart)
  No Mouse (Quinn)
  Re: Is This HardWare of OS ..? (Desmond Coughlan)
  Re: Kernel and IDE-SCSI support problems (Steve Martin)
  Re: RealMagic Holliwood + (Steve Martin)
  Re: HP LaserJet III ("James A. Littlefield")
  Axis computer company (JackNB)
  BIOS drive info != Linux drive info ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Two Scsi Cards, which is which? (Gordon Haverland)
  Is my hard disk broken? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Hda "not available fully" ??? (Mikko Nissi)
  Re: CD Writer IDE ??? (Thomas Zajic)
  Re: best graphics card? (Tiggs (AndyK))
  Pentium III 550E Cache not recognised (chris)
  Re: rw cd rom ("akm76")
  Re: best graphics card? ("John Riddoch")
  Re: best graphics card? (Adam K Kirchhoff)
  Re: RealMagic Holliwood + ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Serious harddisk problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Memory question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Please help ("Buchacher")
  Comp.os.linux.hardware Q&A  14 Mar. ("K.Tsakaloglou")

From: Jean-Philippe Rohart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: x-window configuration problem w/RH 6.1
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:00:00 +0100

r miller wrote:

> I have installed it but i can not get X to start.  It is pretty useless.
> I have the the exact same problem.  Is there a way to manually select a
> generic video card during the install as a temp solution.
>
> My Hardware: Celeron 333a slot 1, Abit BX6 rev2.0, ATI RageFury 32mb,
> Viewsonic A70 monitor, Digital Research 40X CD-ROM,  OEM LiveValue, Quantum
> 6.4 EX Gb, 64mb PC-100 SDRAM generic, 3Com PCI FAX Modem #5610

Q.F25- Does XFree86 support the ATI Rage128?

You may look at this:  http://www.xfree.org/FAQ/#rage128
or go directly to  http://www.suse.de/en/support/xsuse/#xfree86336
to get a X server for ATI Rage 128 chipsets.

bye

------------------------------

From: Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No Mouse
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:30:04 -0500

Hi.

I Have No Mouse Control In Linux . Can Anyone Help ?

Thanx
Mylow

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Desmond Coughlan)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Re: Is This HardWare of OS ..?
Date: 14 Mar 2000 12:45:12 GMT

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:20:56 +0100, Ramses v. Pinxteren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

> > Mar 14 00:26:32 odin dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:dd:01:20:2d:5f via 10.0.4.253
> > Mar 14 00:26:32 odin dhcpd: No applicable record for BOOTP host
> > 00:dd:01:20:2d:5f via 10.0.4.253

> Looks like someone is trying to attach a compuetr with that hardware
> address to your system.

The 10.0.4.253 ?

That address is our default gateway, as defined for all machines in
subnet zone 4, i.e., accounting.

> >^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
> > ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@Mar 14
>09:46:48 odin syslogd 1.3-3#31: restart.
> > Mar 14 09:46:48 odin kernel: klogd 1.3-3#31, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
> > Mar 14 09:46:48 odin kernel: Cannot find map file.

> Are the ^@'s really in the file? This COULD indicate a hacker who is
> deleting his own traces, and at a very stupid way if I may say so?

Yes, they really are there.

[snip]

> > ... and this is /var/log/messages:

> > The thing I find strange is that this *always* happens at the same time:
> > just after midnight.

> These marks are just because the syslogd wants to know it is still
> alive, that is also usefull for you, because then you know when the
> machine died (if it died)

OK.

> I think you should take a look at the firewall config. Someone is either
> trying to get out of the network, or is unprofessional hacking. You
> should install a spoof protection (take a look at the IPCHAINS-HOWTO for
> this. then you can also try to stay up late one nigt lol, just keep a
> network connection open, and see what is happening, or (bets way to make
> it impossible for hackers do do any harm in the evening hours) shut down
> the network card for the outgoing connection. Then you can see if there
> is a hacker from the external network who is trying to spoof you...

Hmm ... at midnight, the building is closed down, and no one has access.

If it's a hacker, then he would be acting on the firewall, rather than
on our file server, which is masqueraded, and thus (in theory) invisible
from the outside ...

--
Desmond Coughlan                   |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel and IDE-SCSI support problems
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:48:09 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >  I have compiled my kernel (2.2.14), which came with Mandrake 7.0, for
> >  generic scsi support and it still does not use generic-scsi by default
> >  for my CD drives.
>
> You have to remove IDE-ATAPI CDROM support from your kernel, it overrides the
> SCSI emulation support.

Silly question time again... you did include SCSI emulation support
in your compiled kernel, right? (I assume you did, since it seems
adding the command-line parameter makes it work.)

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RealMagic Holliwood +
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:52:47 -0500

Manuel Diaz Garcia wrote:

> I have a RealMagi Holliwood+ MPEG decoder card... anybody knows how I
> can configure it on Linux... I have Mandrake 7.0, and a beginner in that
> distribution (I have some experience in RedHat 5.0).

Unless I'm mistaken, you're SOL on this. I read somewhere that the
RealMagic people won't release details of their hardware, so no
Linux drivers can be written. Shame, too, as I have an older RealMagic
card here I'd like to use, but can't because of no drivers.

------------------------------

From: "James A. Littlefield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet III
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:24:27 -0500

Mike Murphy wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting my HP LaserJet III (w/Resolution Enhancement
> P C L 5) working. RH 6.1. What setting do I need to use to get it to
> work properly?
> Thanks....Mik

Mike,

You don't mention what sort of trouble you are having.   On my RH6.0  box
I use an LJIII w/ Res. Enhancement.   I just launched the control-panel
app, selected a printer driver and was off and running.   There were three
possible print drivers which were close to right for the LJIII and I
picked the first one ( the name had something to do with delta row
compression).    After that, I could print both ascii and postscript test
pages w/o difficulty.

jim

------------------------------

From: JackNB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Axis computer company
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:57:13 -0500

Anyone have any experience with "Axis"
computers?  (www.axissystems.com)

Thanks
Jack

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: BIOS drive info != Linux drive info
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:05:23 GMT

 I just bought a 20 GIG drive and am having a devil of a time getting it
installed on my Redhat 6.1 system. I updated the BIOS for LBA support
and it sees the drive as being 20523 kBytes, 2495 cylinders, 255 heads,
LANDZ=39769, 63 sectors. When Redhat boots though, checking dmesg shows
the drive is detected as:

hdd: WDC WD205BA, 8063MB w/2048 kB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63.

I've tried using the LILO boot prompt hack of "linux hdd=1024/16/63" as
suggested in a USENET post, but to no avail.

Any ideas would be met with much thanks,

Michael Czeiszperger
Raleigh, NC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Gordon Haverland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Two Scsi Cards, which is which?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:47:37 -0700

"Joseph R. Erlewein" wrote:

>  I have 2 scsi cards in my machine.
>  One is differential, with the root filesystem on it, and the other is
>  standard scsi-II. My problem is that when I connect my zip drive, my root
>  drive changes from /dev/sda2 to /dev/sdb2. Then I can't boot at all.
>
>  The diff card with my root partition keeps showing up as scsi adaptor 1
>  and the adaptec card (normal card with zip drive) shows up as adaptor
>  0. If I could get the adaptors to switch positions, I'd be all set, I
>  think,. since the drive would then always be /dev/sda and not get bumped,
>  instead the other drives would be bumped.
>
>  To do this, I first tried changing PCI slots. This changed the sequence in
>  which they initialized at boot time, but they still show up with the same
>  scsi0 and 1 adaptors under linux. Next, I tried recompiling the kernel so
>  the adapted card is modular and the other one is static, in hopes the
>  static card would get priority.  Neither worked.

The order the various cards get searched for is defined in a
kernel
header (scsi.o ???).  But really, the answer to your
question is
a little easier if you are willing to use modules.  Your
root filesystem
scsi support must be compiled into the kernel, no modules.
But if you
make the other scsi support a module, then when the kernel
boots there
is only the one card defined, your disk get assigned sda
(root being
sda2) and everything is great.  Devfs is supposed to be able
to help with
this problem in general as well, as is using label in the
fstab.  I
have not been able to get labels to work, but this
module/non-module
business works fine on my dual scsi machine.

Gordon Haverland
#include <disclaimer.h>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Is my hard disk broken?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:56:21 GMT

I have a quantum fireball st and kernel 2.0.35. 2 Days ago I compiled
a new kernel, it runs OK for 2 days and then my hard drive makes a
sound of slowing down and starting up again and I get "hda: ...
{device busy}" and apparently my hard disk dies and does not start
again after a reset, I had to turn my computer off.
I never had this under Windows, but I just have this drive a few
weeks. Is my kernel to blame, or my harddisk, or could it be a power
failure?

------------------------------

From: Mikko Nissi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hda "not available fully" ???
Date: 14 Mar 2000 14:05:08 GMT

I went to help my friend installing RedHat6.1 to her (quite) newbought
celeron400 machine. The problem was wrongly recognized harddisk.  Upon
booting kernel recognizes IBM-DJNA-31xxxx (can't remember) 15gig Hd as
IBM-blahblahblah, BUT 7500mb (around). I have seen problems with harddisks
exceeding magical 1024cyl boundary, but nothing like this thing.

BIOS setup had the disk as follows:
1896,255,63 /LBA (c,h,s)        (size 15000mb)
And the box during boot told that it was 15000mb UDMA2 LBA drive.

So, I just wondered why should Linux think its only half of that, also, as
I tried to fdisk (from bash during install) /dev/hda, or simply hda, it
just told me "unable to open hda". But, amazingly, I made ext2 partition
with PQMagic, and even though this partition was located roughly at 5gigs
from beginning of hdd to 10gigs (outside 7500mb) I was able to mount this
partition from installtime-bash.

I tried passing following parameters from the bootprompt:

hda=noprobe hda=1896,255,63

but kernel asked about me being serious; "255 heads ???". And this way
hdd was completely unavailable.

I also tried putting the "real" geometry parameters, hda=31781,15,63 to
prompt (w/hda=noprobe) but this time I simply got Oops message (during
boot).

I'm mainly asking for direction to go looking for solutions,
or if somebody has knowledge on this issue, I'd be more than happy to hear
something.

Could it be the chipset on motherboard? Hdd controller? incompatible bios?
I'm really sorry, but I really don't have any information on
hardware-specs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Subject: Re: CD Writer IDE ???
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:12:10 GMT

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:53:49 +0100, Die Fietzos wrote:

> My problem : I enable the scsi-support , i can mount my
> CD writer(ide) as an scsi-writer. But i can`t  mount an
> empty cd-r , an error message appears (too may mounted
> systems, cd is writeprotected....)

Well, that's correct. From 'man mount':

   NAME
          mount - mount a file system

An empty CD-R(W) is just that, empty, so there's no filesystem on it
that you could mount.

> CD-toast show my Ricoh writer on scsi 8 times,
> the ide port shows hda,hdb and hdc(my writer).

Disable "Probe each LUN" in the kernel configuration, and recompile/
install/reboot your new kernel.

> How can i burn ????

Read the CD-Writing-HOWTO (<http://www.linuxdoc.org/>), and use mkisofs/
cdrecord for data CDs, cdrdao for audio CDs, or one of the numerous
frontends (see Freshmeat, <http://www.freshmeat.net>).

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-   Thomas "ZlatkO" Zajic   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Linux-2.0.38/slrn-0.9.6.2   -

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tiggs (AndyK))
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: best graphics card?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:29:10 GMT

It was uk.comp.os.linux, and target for experiments
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did write...

>Hi,
>
>     ATI is a GREAT card,
>UNDER WINDOWS .

True

>     Under Linux, it's a
>pain in the astrisk .

Not necessarily. My Graphics Card has an ATI chipset, and I find it
works pretty good under my Linux installation (RH6.0).

>     Mine worked GREAT under
>Win98;  but I'm typing this
>in the middle third of my
>monitor screen .

It may be sommat to do with how it's configured.

Mine (ATI all-in-wonder Pro) works fine under Linux. It didn't take me
too long to get it working fine, and I'm far from being fluent in all
matters-Linux.

Though I did find that RedHat 5.2 installer's auto-config thingy
didn't auto-probe properly, though I still magened to get it working.
6.0 got it in one.

(Well, it went a res higher than I use for Windows, but X doesn't look
as bad as the flicker is a lot less noticeable than in Windows.)

Tiggs
--
Tiggs - (Andy K) - Just one person, lost in the crowd.

"What's important doesn't matter,
and what matters isn't important"

------------------------------

From: chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Pentium III 550E Cache not recognised
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:41:09 +0800

   I have two linux boxes with Intel Pentium III 550E CPU.  When I cat
/proc/cpuinfo, it shows
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 551.267539
cache size      : 0 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat p
se36 mmx osfxsr kni
bogomips        : 548.86

The cache is 0K!!  How can I solve this problem, is it a kernel
problem?  Should I upgrade the kernel version?  By the way, I am using
Redhat 6.1.

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("akm76")
Subject: Re: rw cd rom
Date: 14 Mar 2000 14:49:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lien-Fei Chu
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|: Both software Matt mention are very good. I use xcdroast all the time without
|: a problem. And, there is another software call "gcombust" which is very nice
<snip>
|: Alex.
Is there a software out there for linux similar to
Adaptec's DirectCD for win?
It's a kind of software which would allow you to spend an hour
formatting cd-rw, but after that use is a regular floppy -
mount, unmout, possibly fix it for use in an ordinary cd-rom,
and while mounted just use regular cp/mv command without all
the fun of gathering all the files, preparing the image and finally
writing it at once.
(with DirectCD you lose about 25MB space on that, but I don't care,
as long as I can add/remove anything from it any time I want)

------------------------------

From: "John Riddoch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 14 Mar 2000 14:47:41 GMT

In uk.comp.os.linux Piercarlo Grandi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The ATI 128, G400 and Savage 4 all have Linux X servers; the best one is
> the G400 one.

You missed the Voodoo 3; it's performance is good under linux and is
pretty well supported.

> The G400 also is one of the few cards supported right now
> for OpenGL 3D acceleration under Linux. This might suggest having a look
> at the G400. The Savage 4 and many ATI 128 models are however usually
> much cheaper.

FWIW, it's possible to get 3d acceleration with ATi cards; I've even
managed to get Quake 3 running acceptably on a PIII450 laptop and an
ATi Lt card.

--
John Riddoch    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Telephone: (01224)262721
http://www.scms.rgu.ac.uk/staff/jr/

------------------------------

From: Adam K Kirchhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:07:27 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x John Riddoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In uk.comp.os.linux Piercarlo Grandi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The ATI 128, G400 and Savage 4 all have Linux X servers; the best one is
>> the G400 one.

> You missed the Voodoo 3; it's performance is good under linux and is
> pretty well supported.

>> The G400 also is one of the few cards supported right now
>> for OpenGL 3D acceleration under Linux. This might suggest having a look
>> at the G400. The Savage 4 and many ATI 128 models are however usually
>> much cheaper.

> FWIW, it's possible to get 3d acceleration with ATi cards; I've even
> managed to get Quake 3 running acceptably on a PIII450 laptop and an
> ATi Lt card.

That's currently only true with ATI Rage Pro cards, not ATI 128 cards which do not yet
have 3D support (it's being worked on my Precision Insight).

Adam

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:00:15 GMT

Sigma Design will support linux with their upcoming NetStream 200 card.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Serious harddisk problem
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:35:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bernhard Mogens Ege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My machine is acting wierd regarding the harddisk. It is (randomly?)
> spun down and immediately spun up again (within 1 second). This causes
> linux to disable DMA, 32bit transfers, well every optimisation on that
> drive. dmesg says this:

Its hard to say remotely, but my hard drive did something similar to
this when it went bad and had to be replaced. In any event, having
backups is a good idea...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,aus.computers.linux,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Subject: Re: Memory question
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:48:48 GMT

I like to retain my memory.

So whats happen if I got CPU running at 133MHz bus
eg. 667/133 but a PC100 64MB DIMM.
Will I have an issue?

From: "Buchacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Re: Please help
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:58:51 +0100

>Did you make a link /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux ? Most apps default to
>using /dev/mouse which is linked to the appropriate device for your
>system.
I thought /dev/mouse is only used for bus-mice and mice connected to the
serial port. When I tried to connect my mouse to the PS/2 port I also used
/dev/psaux in XF86Config

Clemens

From: "K.Tsakaloglou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Comp.os.linux.hardware Q&A  14 Mar.
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:09:50 +0200

Questions and answers from this newsgroup (archived by subject) can be found
at http://server.hellug.gr/LUGistics/en/pub/QA_articles_main.php3
Links suggested are categorized at
http://hq.hellug.gr/~tsakf
K.Tsakaloglou