From: Gerald Schnabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pppd daemon died unexpectedly...
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:46:10 +0200

Hello,

I've installed Red Hat 6.1 and have problems to connect to the Internet
with kppp. I can connect to my ISP (PAP) and the connection works with
full speed. But after about 3 minutes the connection gets lost with
the message "pppd daemon died unexpectedly". If I start to download a
file immediatly after a successful connect, I can see the connection
speed dropping continuously in kppp statistics window. When it has
reached zero (that's the ~3 minutes mentioned above) the modem
disconnects. :( It's not a problem with my ISP because from WinDoze
(shame on me) it works. Looks like a problem with pppd to me. Help!

Thanks

  Gerald

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sideband)
Subject: Re: set up ISA modem
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 01:49:41 GMT

Use minicom under linux... It's a terminal program.

You may have to recompile your kernel to enable interrupt sharing, etc
in the serial options. I'd suggest upgrading to 2.2.16 if at all
possible.

Hope this helps.

-SSB

On or about Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:38:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
using the forum comp.os.linux.hardware did say:

:In Windows I can open terminal utility, select a device from a drop
:down, then send it AT commands. Thus I can send a modem an AT command
:and if it is a happy modem it will respond with an "OK".
:
:My question is this: How do I do that under Linux?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: 70Gb Harddisk
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 02:16:25 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:12:54 -0400, Peter Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Daniel Ammon wrote:
>>
>> It's an additional one and I need full capacity on one drive
>>

>How about this, partition the drive into several partitions, then make
>them all look like one again with Linux's software RAID?
>
>I don't know if it'll work, but it sounds like fun :)

Damn that a *stupid* idea!

Make the disk seek through five separate partitions instead of putting
data condiguously.

------------------------------

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:30:16 +0200

Peter Teuben wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> > a friend of mine just bought a 72Gb IBM DTLA307075 IDE harddisk and
> > would like to run it on linux. Sadly linux recognises only 33.8Gb of it.
> > Anyone know a remedy?
> > Running on 2.4.0-test6 kernel, latest fdisk, controlled by a PIIX4 IDE
> > controller.
>
> odd, i'm running the 45GB version of this disk on a 2.2.16 kernel,
> and I see the whole drive. I believe as the 2.2.x series goes, you
> need 2.2.14 or higher, since before that i could indeed not see beyond
> the 33GB (or whatever it was) boundary.  I would have expected the
> 2.4.0-test series to be able to go beyond that. So, perhaps try a
> stable 2.2.16 series and see if that works.
>
> - peter

I have absolutely no problem to access all 39082 MBytes of my Maxtor
54098U8 even with 2.0.36.
I guess that 32G problem is more a BIOS than a linux kernel issue.

Juergen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 02:38:10 GMT

OK, I downloaded the source for 2.2.16 the other day. I am really
under the gun as my housemate needs a connection to her computer for
work and I wanted to route everything through this box . . .

um . . . minicom keeps locking up. Alright - recompile - seems like
there should be an easier way. . .

Thank you for the suggestions.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 02:46:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How?

On your computer's BIOS setup screen-- disable Serial Port A or whatever
is using COM1/IRQ4.

How you do this depends on your BIOS.  This should be in themanual for the
motherboard.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:08:21 -0600
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kenwood cdrom

Spiral Man wrote:

> i need to get a new cd-rom drive, and was looking around and found a
> neat kenwood 72x that split the beam to read multiple tracks at once.
> unfortunately, the required os is listed as windows, and i was wondering
> if anybody knew if this would work under linux as a standard atapi cd
> drive
>
> also, if anybody has any sugestions for a good, reliable, fast cddrive
> that would be nice (preferable ide, cause i dont wanna buy a scsi card
> for this comp, but if there is something really cool...)
>
> thanks
> spiralman
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have one, it works nicely.

------------------------------

From: "Jake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:19:04 GMT

Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have absolutely no problem to access all 39082 MBytes of my Maxtor
> 54098U8 even with 2.0.36.

> I guess that 32G problem is more a BIOS than a linux kernel issue.

Yes, I agree.

I have used kernel 2.2.14, 2.2.16 and 2.4-test5 under redhat 6.2 and they
all saw the full size of the IBM 75GB disks using an ASUS CUV4X
motherboard.

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: mirroring an hd
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:26:23 GMT

The Contact wrote:

> jeff wrote:
> > There may be a problem if the two disks have different geomtries -
> > /boot/boot.d seems to be sensitive.  Worst case is that lilo won't boot from
> > harddisk.  If so, just boot to new system via floppy, and issue lilo
> > command.
>
> True, true.
>
> > Not sure about this, but dd _may_ be problematic if either hard disk has bad
> > sectors.  Of course, rsync, cp, and whatever else, may also have problems -
> > but they're "higher level" so may shield from some problems.
>
> Also correct, dd just copies the bits. If the bits are wrongly set,
> it'll copy the bad bits. rsync and cp will do just the same, I suppose,
> but the main reason I presented dd was because it copies bitwise, while
> cp and rsync etc... will have problems with certain directories (/dev,
> /proc). Maybe excluding these directories will help, but I'm not sure. A
> good backup-utility for Linux (and published under the GPL-license) is
> something I'm searching after since the first day I installed Linux
> (good back-up meaning something like Norton Ghost, thus working with
> images - like dd).

cpio is your friend.  Use the pass-through mode.

Boot from a rescue floppy/CD.
Create partitions on the new disk with cfdisk.
Mkfs those partitions.
Mount the old and new partitions.  All at once, or as pairs.
"find /mnt/old1 | cpio -dmpv /mnt/new1"
Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can use the "a" flag if you want to preserve the access time field
for the files; I haven't found a reason to care.  The "d" flag creates
directories as needed.  The "m" flag preserves the modification time.
The "p" flag is the key; the "pass-through" or "copy/pass" mode.  The
"v" (verbose) flag lets you see what's happening.

The "--sparse" flag will preserve sparse files, which you might have
if you run certain applications.  If you don't know about sparse
files, you probably don't need to.

I sometimes pipe find through sort and then on to cpio, but I'm weird.

I fail to see why another program is needed.  Linux is not Windows; it
doesn't break if files end up in different blocks.  Image copies
preserve fragmentation, and have problems with bad blocks.  Why is
this desirable?  Copying filesystems as filesystems works much better,
whether you use tar, cpio, or dump & restore.  You can change
partition sizes, and tune filesystem parameters like block size.

There are broken tar, cpio, and dump programs out there.  GNU tar and
cpio have worked for me.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Suggest a new sound card (use for vinyl->CD, too)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:11:29 -0400

My venerable SB16 appears to have bit the dust, at least partly. One
channel is very faint, on both speaker and line jacks.

I'm also looking to hook up my turntable and record some of my old
vinyl onto CD, so I'm concerned about the audio-in quality. I've
seen indications that the SB16 audio-in was not so hot.

Can people suggest an economical sound card that also has decent
audio in? (Linux support, of course.)

Dale Pontius

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ??:How To Read Multiple Data Tracks From A CD??
Date: 25 Aug 2000 03:51:10 GMT

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 01:40:51 GMT, Douglas E. Mitton wrote:
>I'm trying to find out how to read multiple data tracks from a CD!  If
>I use "dd" I only get the first track.  Do I need a separate program
>to do this or can I give specific parameters to "dd" to do it.  I
>haven't been able to figure it out from the man page.
>In particular, I'm trying to read the individual tracks listed when
>you do a "cdrecord -toc" on a multisession CD.
>Just as a side note I can read audio tracks off with cdda2wav, then
>write them back to create a new audio CD.  How do I do it with data?

Can you mount the CD and see all the files in their proper places?  If
so, why not just copy the files off using "cp" and mkisofs them up into
one session?  (This has the added benefit of saving a bit of space on
the CD.)  If the CD doesn't show you all the files when you mount
it, then it might be a good idea to look at the man page for "mount" and
pay attention to the "session=" option for ISO9660 filesystems.  (This
shouldn't happen with a properly made multi-session data CD.)

Or try the skip= option to dd?  If you know that the first data track
covers 12345 2048-byte sectors, and the second one covers 4321 2048-byte
sectors, you could try:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=outfile bs=2048 skip=12345

HTH, good luck....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Suggest a new sound card (use for vinyl->CD, too)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:05:00 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:11:29 -0400, Dale Pontius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My venerable SB16 appears to have bit the dust, at least partly. One
>channel is very faint, on both speaker and line jacks.
>
>I'm also looking to hook up my turntable and record some of my old
>vinyl onto CD, so I'm concerned about the audio-in quality. I've
>seen indications that the SB16 audio-in was not so hot.
>
>Can people suggest an economical sound card that also has decent
>audio in? (Linux support, of course.)

I would recoment that you wait a little while till s/pdif support
improves.  I've heard of people getting s/pdif input working on the
soundblaster live although I haven't been able to record off the input
myself.

By using s/pdif, you can entirely bypass the intense noise that lives
inside your computer and use an outboard a/d unit.

I ended up w/ an "Ackdac" from holtmods:  Some day I might even get
my setup working. :-)

http://www.holtmods.com/
http://www.pcavtech.com/adc-dac/Holtmods_ackDAC-ADC/

I have s/pdif output working and can send sound to my sound system's
digital inputs.  40' of rg58 cable hasn't the slightest effect on sound
quality, of course.  I use the s/pdif output for internet music (real
player) all the time now.  Far clearer than FM.

------------------------------

From: neko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.verilog
Subject: Re: 1GMHz+ PC with Linux to run EDA SW?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:55:51 GMT

In article <8o4313$i8i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have to disagree with this.  I have been successfully using vcs
> on Linux for a while now.  You do have to be carefull with what
  # Linux would be more than fine *if* just for Verilog simulation ;-)
  # Linux is not a wise choice if you are working on a big ASIC project
  # People should make a balanced decision considering all aspects of
  # his/her project
> version of Linux you use though.  I would figure out what works and
> then DON'T MESS WITH THE SYSTEM.  This is critical under Linux as
> unless you are a total guru you will have a hard time knowing what
  # I'm not a guru but I'm doing all System adminstration, software
  # management by myself. Because it dominates my productivity.
  # I can't rely on somebody else.
  # It is much easier than dealing with Micro$oft Windows which is
  # very unpredictable.
> affects what.  This is most important for things like the X libs and
> the libc packages.
>
> Also, Signalscan is available on Linux.  I ran it just today.
  # Maybe. But not listed in DAI's Web site. (used to be available)
> However,
> I can't seem to get the pli code to work yet.  Something weird about
> my libc.so.5 I have is making the sim core dump.  Don't know what to
> do about this as Cadence won't support this pli as far as I know.
>
> - RP

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: mbortis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.turbolinux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: LRP vs squid socks ipchains
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:44:03 GMT

Monte Milanuk wrote:

> Well, the thing to be said in defense of using a full sized distro is
> that they tend to stay a bit more up to date, both performance and
> security-wise.  Of course, they tend to inherit more than their fair
> share of serious bugs in that pursuit.  But they are generally a little
> easier to hunt down someone else who knows how they work when you need
> help.
>
> That said, I'd say go look at FreeSCO (www.freesco.org).  It doesn't
> have squid, but it is very capable, and from what I've seen, a whole
> hell of a lot easier to configure than either a full distro, or LRP.  It
> can run on a floppy, or on a hard drive partition, and it is entirely
> possible to set one up w/i ten minutes if you know your setup well.
>
> Monte
>
> Darren and Marla Welson wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to set up Linux as a router and a firewall when I ran across
> > this Linux Router Project (LRP).  I am new to this, so I do not know if it
> > is as effective as using Squid/ipchains/SOCKS to do the same thing.  Has
> > anyone used this LRP and tested it to know whether or not it is worth my
> > time, or should I just configure a Linux box with the said apps running
> > instead?
> >
> > darren
>
> --
>
>   The Law of Unintended Consequences:
>
>   Whether or not what you do has the effet you want, it will have three
>   at least you never expected, and one of those usually unpleasant.

You can try mason.org and a slew of other. I guess you should research and be
prepared to narrow your field in relation to how much work you want to go into
this. Hell, I would even suggest freebsd to throw a router/firewall together.
LPR and mason will do basically a router with LIMITED functionality, surf out
and little else.  Good if you want a life (perhaps this freesco is too... I've
got to check it out). IPCHAINS and especially SOCKS are different beast.. great
and elequent but kiss goodbye to your wife, dog, cat etc for while to learn,
install, setup the bloody buggers. Yes I'm writing you though an
IPCHAINS/IPMASQ/PROXY(squid) machine.
Yes it will work but I can't seem to find my cat... or my dog  ... or my....
Good luck!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DOCPWHITE)
Subject: Iomega ZIP 100 USB on Linux
Date: 25 Aug 2000 05:42:40 GMT

Could someone help me with mounting a USB zip drive onto Red Hat 6.2. Would I
need to buy something to convert the USB connection to a parallel to use the
zip drive?

------------------------------

From: Buju <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: setting up the Internet with sympatico HS edition
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:51:41 -0700

I'm currently using sympatico high speed edition for
windows. How would I be able to set it up on Red Hat 6.2.
I don't think its a dial up connection, so is it a local
area network (LAN) or I'm I wrong and it's something else?

Is it even possible to set up sympatico on Linux?

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Why does Linux printing via Parallel port slow system?
Date: 25 Aug 2000 01:46:48 -0400

When I print via the Parallel port my system becomes noticeably slower.
I'm not sure about CPU usage, but mouse response certainly slows down.

Is this a parallel port problem, or is there a way to fix it?
Would a USB connection be better (the printer has both connectors)?

BTW, I'm using a Lexmark Optra M410 (Postscript) printer.

Thanks,
  Richard

------------------------------

From: Alexey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 06:08:27 GMT

Hi
I think it because the limitation for boot partion: it must use less
than 1024 cylinders. I suggest create small boot partion and the rest of
disk space as second partion.

--
Sincerely yours, Alexey (mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "H Srinivas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lucent Wildwire *internal* ADSL modem on a HP9680C anyone???
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:19:30 -0700

Hi

I will get ADSL service with static IPs in a couple of days.
I will be getting an external modem from  my DSL provider pacbell.
I am currently waiting for the modem to arrive.

My computer is already equipped with a Lucent
WildWire G.Lite ADSL *internal* modem.

I have RedHat 6.2 installed on my machine.

The WildWire modem has the software installed for
Windows 98.  Can I use this modem in Linux RedHat 6.2

I would like to know if anyone out there has used this
ADSL modem to successfully connect to the DSL service
provider, using Linux.

Any information regarding this is highly appreciated.

thanks,
Sri.