Linux-Hardware Digest #541, Volume #10           Sun, 20 Jun 99 18:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Re: modem/NULL-modem (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Laser printers (Swietanowski Artur)
  TV tuner cards... (Eric Wyles)
  bjc-6000 (Cliff)
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
  Best dual cpu board for Linux recommandation needed. Thx. (Alex Lam)
  Re: Sound Blaster Live! Value support ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Graphics problem with X (CSBenAllen)
  Re: Processor temp on ASUS P2B/P5A (Wolfhardt Lotz)
  Re: Diamond Viper TNT AGP + XWindows (Michael Meissner)
  SCO Unixware (Mathew Threadgill)
  Re: @home ISP Sucks! (Mike Frisch)
  Re: 32 versus 64 bit PCI (Robert Herzog)
  Re: Laser printers (Duncan)
  Re: Riva Tnt's and x windows... ("Aginor")
  Cable Modem Quandries
  Re: Slackware 4.0 + IBM Etherjet ISA PnP card (Ted Sikora)
  Re: SCO Unixware (Mike Frisch)
  What's the best graphics card for X ("Robin Shuff")
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (Chris Harshman)
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (Brian Hartman)
  Sound problem when upgrading to 2.2 kernel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Soundcard AUDIO EXCEL FM801 PCI (A Guy Called Tyketto)
  Re: Win98 FDISK no longer works after Linux install (John Sanford)
  Re: Any problems using a AMD K6 CPU? (Jerry Lapham)
  Logitech First Mouse+ (Jeff Potter)

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem/NULL-modem
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:21:28 +0200

Shawn Pringle wrote:

> Is it possible to use a regular modem as a NULL-modem.
>
> I have a couple of 486s I want to network together, they
> both appear to be hayes compatible modems.

Modems are used to make a serial connection of computers over a
phone-line and will need a phone-line.

NULL-modems are a serial cable connected between two computers without
any modem or phone-line involved.

The only difference to the computer is that the modem setup will require
some extra paramters sent to the modems to make one of them dial the
correct number and make the other one answer the call. From when the
modems have connected they will behave just like a NULL-modem except
that it will be possible to hang up the connection.

If your computers are close to each other, skip the modems and use only
the serial ports and a null modem cable. It is easier and cheaper than
to fake a phone line.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laser printers
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:19:22 +0200

Duncan wrote:
> I've been looking round for a low-end laser printer that will work fine
> with Linux.
> <snip>
> So, the only printer I can find near that price with hardware PostScript
> support is the Brother HL-1070 at £323 (not so much of a crisis).

(1) You don't really need a PostScript printer. All you need is
    a printer which supports some well known command language, like
    PCL 3 or better. A decent distribution, like RedHat, will (without
    any effort on your part) do all the translation necessay to print
    PS on those printers.
(2) I own a Brother HL-1050 with PCL 5, 600 DPI, full HP LJ 6
    compatibility and no PostScript. No complaints so far.

HTH,
Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: Eric Wyles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TV tuner cards...
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:05:10 -0800

I am using a Zoltrix 64-Bit PCI PnP TV MAX

Does anyone know how to configure this card with red hat
5.2?

Thanks,
Eric

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

------------------------------

From: Cliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: bjc-6000
Date: 20 Jun 1999 18:44:03 GMT

I've got a Canon bjc-6000.  According to the GhostScript page, it "mostly"
works.  I can't get it to do anything.  Does anyone have a 6000 working
under linux in any form?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:40:13 -0700

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:18:59 +0200, Johan Groth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jack Coates wrote:
[deletia]
>> Why does GNOME/Enlightenment randomly freeze, requiring CTRL-ALT-Backspace?
>> Was it GNOME or E that froze? /var/log/messages doesn't say. I could start
>> randomly upgrading RPMs until the problem goes away....
>
>Neither GNOME nor Enligthenment are finished products. The latest
>'stable' of Enlightenment you can find is 0.15.5 and as you can see it
>isn't a 1.x release. Many feel that the release of a 1.x of GNOME was
>too early. Too much of didn't work well. I'm one of them that thinks
>GNOME shouldn't have been released even now. It's still a bit unstable.

        Then don't run Enlightenment, or the GNOME desktop. Neither
        are compulsory. Run another WM and just run the GNOME apps
        all by their lonesome.

        Thus, the utility of choices.

--

bash: the power to toast your registry in style...     |||
                                                      / | \

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Best dual cpu board for Linux recommandation needed. Thx.
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:34:07 -0700

Hi,
     I am building a server, want some recommendations on dual cpu
board,
scsi adapter and cd-rw. Stability and speed are the #1 concerns, no
over-clocking.

Thanks.

Alex Lam.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live! Value support
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:36:07 GMT

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:21:11 -0700, Maxim Bazhenov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I'm going to buy a sound card for my  Linux box (RedHat-6.0) and my
>question is:
>Is "Sound Blaster Live! Value"  supported by Linux? If yes, then what
>should
>I select during kernel configuration? Reading documentation about sound
>support
>in kernel, I couldn't find direct mentions about this card. Thanks a
>lot.
>Maxim

I would not recomend this card unless for use with Linux.  Creative
has refused to release the source or specs for their card.  I have the
SBLive! Value and I haven't gotten it to work yet.  The problem is
that the precompiled binaries are for kernels 2.0.36 and 2.2.5.  Now
I've heard of it working for some people with different kernels, but I
have had no such luck.  I run Slackware 4.0 with kernel 2.2.6.

Unless you want to chance it and/or enjoy the pains of such an endevor
I would suggest to stay away from it.

That's just my opinion.   :-)

Tim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CSBenAllen)
Subject: Graphics problem with X
Date: 19 Jun 1999 20:58:08 GMT

Im a newbie with linux and when configuring x win using suse 6.1 and sax i cant
get higher resolution than 800x600.  when running x, whenever i move a window
the screen becomes garbled which seems to indicate the refresh is wrong.  ive
got the vert and horz refresh for my monitor ok. the hardware is - 4mb
guillemot maxi gamer 3D card and cirrus 2D card,  ive seen this could be due to
the ramdac on the card but i cant get any exact specs from the instructions or
web site, so if any one can help me with this i would be very gratefull.
thanks for your time

jam (mail [EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wolfhardt Lotz)
Subject: Re: Processor temp on ASUS P2B/P5A
Date: 15 Jun 1999 08:13:34 GMT

Get it from:
  ftp://ftp.netroedge.com/pub/lm-sensors/lm_sensors-2.3.3.tar.gz
--
Wolfhardt Lotz                 Phone  :  +49 421 218 2845
IWD, University of Bremen      Telefax:  +49 421 218 4112

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper TNT AGP + XWindows
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 Jun 1999 16:11:40 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Murphy) writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mj) writes:
>
> >Go to xfree86.org and download the latest SVGA server (3.3.3.1 or somewhat
> >like that). I works great with my ELSA ERAZOR II (Riva TNT too).
> >You won't find these server on DEBIAN 2.2 or REDHAT latest releases. Download
> >directly from www.xfree86.org (there you'll find a FTP site for download).
>
> This isn't true, at least as far as RedHat-6.0 is concerned.
> The standard SVGA driver _does_ support TNT/TNT2.

I have a TNT, so the answer's moot for me.  I believe you have to explicitly
edit the XF86Config file for TNT2 to tell it that it needs to use the TNT
driver (ie, it can't autodetect a TNT2, which was released after the 3.3.3.1
sources were released).  In theory, the first public beta of XFree 4.0 should
be available in July....

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

------------------------------

From: Mathew Threadgill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCO Unixware
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:03:58 -0700

I am thinking of purchaseing UnixWare7.1 from SCO.  But wanted to do my
homework first.  Is Unixware better in any way to linux?  Also is the
installation any different or easier than linux?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: @home ISP Sucks!
Date: 20 Jun 1999 19:29:16 GMT

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:01:55 -0700, Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>subscribers
>are abusing the service, but unnecessary flooding many of the music
>related binaries
>groups.  Posting several hundred megabytes of binaries daily.

Not to mention the countless number of warez and MP3 sites running on the
@Home network...  a majority the people who whine the most about these
restrictions are those participants in these activities.

God forbid that you cannot get T1 bandwidth or better for $40/month...

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: Robert Herzog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 32 versus 64 bit PCI
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:18:00 +0200

Gerald Willmann wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Robert Herzog wrote:
>
> > Are there other motherboards than INTEL with the wide connectors ?
>
> yes, there are alpha boards with both 32 and 64 bit PCI
>
>   Gerald

Sorry, I wished to ask if other manufacturers than Intel are producing
motherboards for _Intel_ processors, with 64 bit PCI slots. As I
indicated in initial message, I know of the Alpha boards...
Thanks
Herzog

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:39:58 +0100
From: Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks for the info Don, at least I know that any of them should work
fine under linux, a big relief. I just want the best value for money.
The Lexmark and the HP1100 hover around 270ukp (~$400) but the Brother
1070 around 320ukp :-/

------------------------------

From: "Aginor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Riva Tnt's and x windows...
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:21:49 +0200

I'm also using Redhat 5.1 and I got it to work. You have to download the
drivers from nvideas homepage. They have instructions that's quite easy to
follow.

http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html

You might have to configure some things manually (I did).

I also recommend you to upgrade the kernel.

\ Andreas Lööw

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cable Modem Quandries
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:06:45 GMT

Hi All,
I've RH6.0 installed.  Works great.  Sound and everything.  I have cable
modem internet acces through @home.  I've got 2 network cards, a 3com PCI,
for an internal network which linux detects flawlessly, the other it an SMC
EtherExpress (8416) ISA provided by @home which is connected to my cable
modem.  I was never able to get it running in RH 5.2.  I thought that in RH
6.0 it would be easier.  I've read several online documents, followed
several directions, passed the necessary parameters (io=0x240, irq=3, etc)
but still the SMC card fails to initialize during startup.  Am I just better
off getting another PCI card or what?  Also, any word on DHCPCD or DHCPD in
the 2.2.x kernels to get the -h host function to work?

Thanks
Born in DOS.....Educated in NT.....Trial by Linux.
Dustin

From: Ted Sikora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slackware 4.0 + IBM Etherjet ISA PnP card
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:51:06 GMT

Peter Letkeman wrote:

> First I am sorry for cross post. I can not seem to get my network card with
> Slackware 4.0. I have been able to use ISAPNP and PNPDUMP to get my soud
> card to work and tried the same for the network card. I know that the card
> is functional, it works in windows 98. I looked for linux drivers but could
> not find any. Here is what linux says about the card
>
> # Card 2: (serial identifier f4 00 05 90 71 10 10 4d 24)
> # Vendor Id IBM1010, Serial Number 364657, checksum 0xF4.
> #     Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
> #     ANSI string -->IBM EtherJet ISA Adapter<--
> #
> # Logical device id IBM1010
> #     Device support I/O range check register
> #     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
> #     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
> #     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
> #
> # Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
> # Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed
> if required
> # Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy
>
> (CONFIGURE IBM1010/364657 (LD 0
> #     IRQ 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 or 15.
> #         High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
> # (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))
> #     Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> #         Minimum IO base address 0x0200
> #         Maximum IO base address 0x0360
> #         IO base alignment 16 bytes
> #         Number of IO addresses required: 16
> # (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0200) (CHECK))
>  (NAME "IBM1010/364657[0]{IBM EtherJet ISA Adapter}")
> # (ACT Y)
> ))
> # End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)
>
> # Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
> (WAITFORKEY)
>
> and this is what windows 98 says
>
> # IBM EtherJet Adapter
> # Interrupt Request 11
> # Input/Output Range 0210-021F

One place everyone overlooks is how you have the bios set in PNP/PCI
Configuration. Using legacy to reserve an irq or setting  it to PCI for
the system to use for PNP. You can force an irq's use through this. If
the Network card is PNP pci there should be no problem. Since your
network card is ISA did it come with a setup disk or is it strickly PNP.
Then the above method will work with
the proper driver. This page may help you get the proper driver
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/  It seems your card may use
the Cirrus chipset. You must verify it's type properly. Once a kernel is
made or the proper Module loaded the card should initialize properly
using the method I described above. When your machine starts after the
bios message you should see your pnp cards initialized with PNP before
Linux. If so it should work with no problems with the proper driver.

--
Ted Sikora
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: SCO Unixware
Date: 20 Jun 1999 20:39:01 GMT

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:03:58 -0700, Mathew Threadgill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am thinking of purchaseing UnixWare7.1 from SCO.  But wanted to do my
>homework first.  Is Unixware better in any way to linux?  Also is the
>installation any different or easier than linux?

Wouldn't it be better to ask the question on a Unixware newsgroup (are
there any?)?  I don't think you're going to get unbiased answers here.

My take on Unixware: it's commercial, it doesn't include full operating
system source code, and it's not Linux.

From: "Robin Shuff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED],no.spam>
Subject: What's the best graphics card for X
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:25:54 +0100

I'm looking at building a basic Linux workstation and would like to know
what the best 8mb or similar graphics card to use is. One that is fully
supported and has GPL drivers etc. Is the ATI Xpert98 any good?

Thanks

Robin Shuff

------------------------------

From: Chris Harshman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:24:45 -0500

Hmm.  Aspects of Linux are starting to sound like a familiar
large company based in Redmond...  Anyone else a little perturbed
by that?

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:30:07 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:18:59 +0200, Johan Groth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Jack Coates wrote:
> [deletia]
> >> Why does GNOME/Enlightenment randomly freeze, requiring CTRL-ALT-Backspace?
> >> Was it GNOME or E that froze? /var/log/messages doesn't say. I could start
> >> randomly upgrading RPMs until the problem goes away....
> >
> >Neither GNOME nor Enligthenment are finished products. The latest
> >'stable' of Enlightenment you can find is 0.15.5 and as you can see it
> >isn't a 1.x release. Many feel that the release of a 1.x of GNOME was
> >too early. Too much of didn't work well. I'm one of them that thinks
> >GNOME shouldn't have been released even now. It's still a bit unstable.
>
>         Then don't run Enlightenment, or the GNOME desktop. Neither
>         are compulsory. Run another WM and just run the GNOME apps
>         all by their lonesome.
>
>         Thus, the utility of choices.
>
> --
>
> bash: the power to toast your registry in style...     |||
>                                                       / | \
>
>                         Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

I've run Gnome and I've run KDE, and neither give me 100% of what I'd like.
Gnome offers a more integrated themes solution, while KDE provides a more
flexible interface that's more customizable in terms of apps (putting objects on
the desktop, etc).  I've settled on KDE for now.  Frankly, Enlightenment is the
only Window Manager I've tried.  Maybe this is just complacency talking, but a
mixture of the KDE Desktop and gnome apps works for me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,cop.os.linux.setup
Subject: Sound problem when upgrading to 2.2 kernel
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:30:35 -0400

I just upgraded to the 2.2 kernel from 2.0.36 and for some reason I have
been
getting problems with my sound card. I currently have a Synergy
ViperMAX,
which is pretty much just anohter name for a Gravis Ultrasound Extreme.
It
has an ESS1688 chipset on it which worked fine with the 2.0 kernel, but
in
2.2 I get weird errors. On boot, I get the following:

ESS chip ES1688 detected (kernel 2.0 compatible)
sb: Interrupt test on IRQ5 failed - Probable IRQ conflict
<ESS ES1688 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.01)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1,5
<Yamaha OPL3> at 0x388
Sound initialization complete

So it detects properly but I get the IRQ error. In my BIOS I reserved
IRQ 5
so there aren't any other devices that use it. Then when I try to play
any
audio with something like mpg123, I get the following error:

Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

This repeats over and over as well as the first second of sound being
repeated
along with it until I kill the process. Does anyone know what might be
causing
this? Its annoying to not have sound when upgrading the kernel, and I
would
hate to fall back to the 2.0 series again and lose some features.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A Guy Called Tyketto)
Subject: Re: Soundcard AUDIO EXCEL FM801 PCI
Date: 20 Jun 1999 16:41:02 -0500

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]` (John Sanford)
Subject: Re: Win98 FDISK no longer works after Linux install
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:20:24 GMT

I'm new to Linux, but I found problems with installing Win95/Linux6. It seems
that all the "utilities" with my Linux package would create partitions, but
would not assign "logical" drives -- things that DOS needs --hence, DOS-FDISK
wouldn't work.

Thank goodness I been around long enough to have a old copy of Western
Digital's Disk Manager (dm.exe) that worked with my drives. If you don't have
WD drives, I would bet that your driver's manufacture has a similar utility,
or there is another utility program around. (Someone out there must know of
one).

I know that this doesn't give you a solution, but at least you know you're not
alone. :) You MIGHT try the FIPS.EXE to see if it will "restore" what you
need. Also, as per Mandrake's Linux package says, use FDISK with the master
boot record resotrer (i.e. FDISK /mbr).

Luck.

John S.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Subject: Re: Any problems using a AMD K6 CPU?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:02:44 -0400

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/19/99
   at 11:40 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Walker) said:

> I've come upon a deal for a motherboard and AMD K6 CPU that I'd like to
> use for a Linux box.   I haven't found much on the suject in the
> hardware FAQ.  Has anyone come across any problems with this CPU?

I'm using a K6-200 with Caldera 2.2 with no problems, so far.

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 05:02 PM (EDT)
"Since the GOP is going to cave on gun control, the least they could
do is ask for a few things in return.  Like a one nuclear warhead per
month limit for all Clinton/Gore contributors." --Public relations
consultant Adam Dubitsky

From: Jeff Potter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logitech First Mouse+
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:06:08 +0000

I've got my Logitech First Mouse+ (3 buttons, wheel) to work under most
programs, but not Netscape Navigator.  Is there any way to enable wheel
scrolling in Navigator?

Jeff Potter