Linux-Hardware Digest #541, Volume #13            Thu, 7 Sep 00 04:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working (Barry Furnival)
  Mustek 1200 III EP Scanner ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Palm Software on Linux (JDoe)
  Re: Palm Software on Linux (David C.)
  Watchdog Timers (Sky Cree)
  Re: what's up with Sun? ("Ez-Aton")
  MP2000 card to play movie under Linux ("Linuz")
  Re: modem working but... (WeekapaugG)
  Chromatic Research video card ("Andrew Lassner")
  Re: Brother HL-1030 Printer Driver?? (Steven Lee)
  My mouse trap !
  Re: Brother HL-1030 Printer Driver?? ("D. Abuan")
  Re: Fdisk problem with SCSI HD (Craig Kelley)
  Re: My modem won't initalize. (Rob Clark)
  Re: Do Linux and VIA Apollo 133A Play Nicely together? (Will Buben)
  Netdriver installation problems ("Naveen Pinglay")
  Winmodem HSP56 (Marcelo)
  BP6 / HPT366 Problems? (Johnny Luong)
  MP2000 driver (Muhd Zamri Bin Muhd Suharini)
  Re: what's up with Sun? (T. Max Devlin)
  buffer_dirty  -  what's the @#$%? ("Ian Dichkovsky")
  Re: what's up with Sun? ("Andrew N. McGuire ")

From: Barry Furnival <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 01:16:41 GMT

I, too, got my FA311 to work! What I was doing wrong: Starting Linux from Win98
using loadlin. I was doing this because I couldn't get the boot menu I setup in
config.sys to work. I solved the menu problem with help from the newsgroup by
putting the loadlin command in the autoexec.bat instead of the config.sys file.
Rebooted, selected Linux on the boot menu, and viola! Linux came up and the
FA311 configured and has worked fine since. My guess: Win98 configures the card
for itself and doesn't unconfigure it when I run loadlin.

Barry J. Furnival
K1BJF
Jaffrey, NH
New Hampshire: Live, Freeze, and Die
Lord, save me from your followers

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mustek 1200 III EP Scanner
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 01:22:15 GMT

SANE does not appear to directly support Mustek 1200 III EP flatbed scanners,
either directly or through alpha/beta drivers.

Has anyone had any success getting this scanner to work through the parallel
port, and if so, could you give me some pointers on how I might do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Michael

------------------------------

From: JDoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Palm Software on Linux
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 01:30:19 GMT

Does anyone know if Palm has a linux version of their desktop
software?

The palm site is very very slow.  If not, does anyone know if the
palm desktop software runs reliably under Wine or VMWare?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: Palm Software on Linux
Date: 06 Sep 2000 21:33:17 -0400

JDoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does anyone know if Palm has a linux version of their desktop
> software?

I haven't seen it.

But I think the GNOME project has some tools that will allow similar
functionality.

> The palm site is very very slow.  If not, does anyone know if the palm
> desktop software runs reliably under Wine or VMWare?

Never tried this.

I wouldn't expect it to work under Wine - very few non-trivial apps do.

I would expect it to work on VMWare, but I've never tried it.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sky Cree)
Subject: Watchdog Timers
Date: 07 Sep 2000 02:07:09 GMT

can anyone make any recommendations on Watchdog timer cards for Linux?

------------------------------

From: "Ez-Aton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: what's up with Sun?
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 05:33:24 +0200

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8p6h5i$qu1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : On 6 Sep 2000 13:24:42 GMT, Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>In comp.os.linux.misc Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : The general consensus is that you will not see the advantages
> : of SCSI on single user workstation or if you've only got a
> : single storage device. SCSI really starts to shine when you're
> : managing multiple devices and IO operations concurrently.
>
> As in: more than one user logged in, or exporting your FS via NFS.
>
> Peter

Rgarding this, I remeber a friend ofmine who could use his scsi cdr while
playing.
It might look simple today, but one issue can't be ignored: It was a
P166MMX, not the monsterous P3 of these days.
IDE cdr at these times would require you to stay still and disable your
screensaver...

SCSI is more expensive, but it's abilities pay well when dealing with
heavily IO loaded systems, and with servers, which, by definition, should
maintain high IO load.
Ez.

------------------------------

From: "Linuz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MP2000 card to play movie under Linux
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:45:58 -0700

Hi,

 I would like to know whether there is any support (driver) for MP2000 card
under Linux. Is there any work on porting the driver ?

Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

From: WeekapaugG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem working but...
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:39:15 -0400

i had the same problem using kppp.  turns out i forgot to put in the DNS
servers.  that ought to fix your problem

From: "Andrew Lassner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Chromatic Research video card
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:59:02 -0400

I am having a little trouble correctly setting up Xwindows using a chromatic
research mpact video card. I have not had very much luck finding any
information about it's specs or the appropriate Xwindow server. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Andrew

------------------------------

From: Steven Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Brother HL-1030 Printer Driver??
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 23:13:59 -0400

In article <SNBt5.239324$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "D. Abuan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just bought this Brother HL-1030 printer but forgot
> to check the hardware compatiblity list... Does anyone
> have any solution to get this thing working???

I have a HL-1240.  It works beautifully on my Redhat 6.0 box.  In
printtool, I selected the HP LaserJet 4/5/6 series filter.  All the
Windows PCs on the LAN prints great via Samba :-)

I hope this helps.

--
Steven Lee

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My mouse trap !
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:28:58 GMT

How do I get the wheel on my MS Intelli mouse to work in XF86 V.3.x ? I
have tried both to manually configure it and to use the configuration tool,
but I can't get it to work. I have hear that with Mandrake 7, there is a
RPM that will fix this. Has anyone had any luck woth this ?

From: "D. Abuan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:36:35 GMT

Sorry Steve.... the HL-1240 is a model just above mine... Checked Onvia
and the printer is only $75 more... too bad!

Thanks for your advice... I was hoping that someone out there could
give me a driver or some work-around to get it working.

"Steven Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <SNBt5.239324$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "D. Abuan"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Just bought this Brother HL-1030 printer but forgot
> > to check the hardware compatiblity list... Does anyone
> > have any solution to get this thing working???
>
> I have a HL-1240.  It works beautifully on my Redhat 6.0 box.  In
> printtool, I selected the HP LaserJet 4/5/6 series filter.  All the
> Windows PCs on the LAN prints great via Samba :-)
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> --
> Steven Lee

Crossposted-To: tw.bbs.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Fdisk problem with SCSI HD
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Sep 2000 21:36:24 -0600

Beggar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Segate 18GB Ultra2 SCSI HD, after I "fdisk" it and write the
> partition to disk. It work fine without any error message, but the
> problem is that when I quit fdisk and enter fdisk again, the partition
> table does not change as I modify before.
>
> what's the problem?? Harddisk problem or fdisk problem?  It have also
> use "cfdisk",  but with the same result.

On many partitions, you must reboot between calls to fdisk (hence the
warning it gives you).

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: Re: My modem won't initalize.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:39:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
William  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a Rockwell HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem.  I think it's a winmodem.

It is.

>I am looking for a driver for it for Linux or some help.

There is no Linux driver at this time, and none anticipated.  Sorry :(

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     http://start.at/modem <-- Linux/modem compatibility list

------------------------------

From: Will Buben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Do Linux and VIA Apollo 133A Play Nicely together?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 23:52:42 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Folks:)
>
>         Is Linux compatible with the VIA Apollo 133A chipset?  Are there any
> stability issues?
>
>         I'm building an SMP system.  The board is either going to be a Tyan
> S1832 (BX) "F" series running 2 PIII 800 Coppermine CPUs, or a Tyan
> S1834 (VIA 133A) with 2 PIII 933 cpus.
>
>         Which system will faster and more stable?
>
> ****  Herminio Alvarez, Jr.

It sure is. Your system's gonna kick some butt too :)

------------------------------

From: "Naveen Pinglay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netdriver installation problems
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:59:11 -0500

Linux newbie here:

I am installing a NetworkEverywhere NC100 network card on Caldera OpenLinux
2.3 (2.2.10).  I followed the instructions on scyld.com regarding installing
Netdriver.  However, when I issue the command rpm -i --force ..... I get an
error stating that the execution of script failed and
netdriver-2.0-3.i386.rpm cannot be installed.  What am I doing wrong?

Here is what I used:

# Transfer the Scyld PCI Netdriver package
rpm -i ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdriver-2.0.src.rpm
# Build the binary version for your kernel
cd /usr/src/{redhat,TurboLinux}/
rpm -bb SPECS/netdriver.spec                    WORKS FINE
# Now install it your newly built package.
rpm -i --force RPMS/i386/netdriver-2.0-*.i386.rpm            <-- I get the
error message when I issue this command

Also, I seem to recall someone suggesting that I may not have the source
code installed.  I have a source code CD and for the life of me, I can't
figure out how to install the damn thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Naveen

------------------------------

From: Marcelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Winmodem HSP56
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 01:09:04 -0300

Hi there.
I'm with a little problem: I have to install a winmodem on LINUX!
The modem is a HSP56K, from PCTel. I found one driver - but was compiled to
2.2.5 kernel. Mine is a 2.2.14. It will be really too much of a hassle to get
the new kernel, compile and track the errors (I'm not a experienced user).
So, I'd like to know if some of you could pinpoint me where I can get drivers
for this little devil...
The LINUX is a Conectiva LINUX 5.0 (kernel 2.2.14).  It's a brazilian
distribution, based on Red Hat. It's the equivalent of Red Hat 6.0 or 6.1 - now
I cant remember.
Anyway, that's the problem. Any sigestions are welcome.
TIA,

Marcelo Rodrigues

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:32:20 -0700
From: Johnny Luong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BP6 / HPT366 Problems?

I'm not sure if there's a solution to this problem (after looking for
a while on the kernel mailing list), but here is my problem.

When I do heavy IO operations across two hard drives on the HPT366,
each on their own channel and set to primary, I get a lockup.  An
example of such operation, would be cp -a /home /other_drive
(home is a partition on the first drive, other_drive is a partition on
the other drive).  Both drives have DMA enabled, for performance
reasons.  This is the message it gives me:

hdg: timeout waiting for dma
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only

Keyboard is locked up, and can't do anything.  Any ideas on what I
should do?  This occurs in both the 2.2.* series with the ide backpatch
and the 2.4.0test series as well.

Johnny Luong

From: Muhd Zamri Bin Muhd Suharini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MP2000 driver
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:57:11 +0800

Hi,

 I would like to know whether there is any work on porting or creating
device driver for MP 2000 MPEG (decoder) card under Linux.

It's good to have one.

Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:14:34 -0400

Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

>Ez-Aton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:newscache$n8jf0g$k21$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Both Intel and AMD should stick to the home-office computers, and leave
>the
>> servers to the real tough computers, since they will never reach the Sun
>> stability and power.
>> My oppinion.
>
>Better yet.  Intel and AMD should stick to producing processors and let the
>users determine how the computers built with their processors should be
>used.

Ooh-rah.

--
T. Max Devlin
  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction

From: "Ian Dichkovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: buffer_dirty  -  what's the @#$%?
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:33:46 +0300

Hi all ! (sorry for bad English)

when I copy file from floppy,
on the console apppear message

.... buffer_dirty .... 512
(don't remember exactly)

I reboot to the win98 and files copyied without messages.
Floppy hasn't bad blocks.

So, what it mean - buffer_dirty ?

Thanks!

Bye!

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 02:35:23 -0500

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, T. Max Devlin quoth:

~~ Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:14:34 -0400
~~ From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: alt.os.linux, comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.os.linux.misc,
~~     comp.os.linux.hardware
~~
~~ Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
~~ >
~~ >Ez-Aton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
~~ >news:newscache$n8jf0g$k21$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
~~ >
~~ >> Both Intel and AMD should stick to the home-office computers, and leave
~~ >the
~~ >> servers to the real tough computers, since they will never reach the Sun
~~ >> stability and power.
~~ >> My oppinion.
~~ >
~~ >Better yet.  Intel and AMD should stick to producing processors and let the
~~ >users determine how the computers built with their processors should be
~~ >used.
~~
~~ Ooh-rah.

Marine?