Linux-Hardware Digest #700, Volume #10            Thu, 8 Jul 99 03:13:51 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Xconfigurator and TNT2 (Jack Carroll)
  Re: Turtle Beach Montego II ("J. Blair")
  Re: OFFTOPIC: Cost/Performance SCSI/IDE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Michael)
  SuSe +  Hardrive partitioning (Rolston Jeremiah)
  Re: AMD K6-2 and Linux (Eric Thomas)
  ESS688 Soundchip without tone (Eric Wick)
  Re: HP Laserjet series II (Jack Carroll)
  Re: thinkpad nic ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Tekram-Controller (Eric Thomas)
  Re: Netzero on Linux (Sami Yousif)
  Re: Maestro 2 Soundcard under Linux (Tim Roberts)
  Bad/semi-usable sectors? (Workarounds for hard disk anomaly?) ("FM")
  Re: Internal Modem ("Asim Shankar")
  Re: format >2GB hard (Jon Splane)
  Re: SoundBlaster Live! (Ronald Haynes)
  RH6 linux and RAID (Jenine Von Essen)
  BTOS OS ("kookoo")
  Re: SoundBlaster Live! ("James Young")
  Re: UDMA 66 Support ("James Young")
  Re: laser-printer for linux ("James Young")
  Re: Tekram-Controller ("Joe M. SHIMURA")

From: Jack Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xconfigurator and TNT2
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 23:11:21 -0400

bono wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Do not probe or let Xconfigurator to configure your setting.  I have a
> Diamond Viper770 (which uses TNT2) and I had to download the driver from
> the chip maker site instead.   The driver works perfectly if I skip all
> probe or auto config.
>
> Bono
>
> Denis Brochu wrote:
>
> > Hello people,
> >
> > Purchased a Guillermot Xentor TNT2 card yesterday (16 megs) as well as
> > Mandrake 6.0. When reaching the X server configuration part of the
> > install, it tells me it detects a Viper 770, and totally refuse to be
> > configured (Probe returns an error when trying to set my resolution -
> > 16bit 800x600). Of course, when I try startx, it never comes up (no X
> > server or something to that effect). Is it a question of driver or I
> > can get out of this problem another way?
> >
> > Take note that my monitor is a Viewsonic E771, which is in the list of
> > supported monitors.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Denis Brochu

        I got a message from one of the XFree86 developers saying not to use
Xconfigurator.  He said it comes from Red Hat, not them, and it's broken
in various ways.  He recommended their xf86config or its graphic front
end Xsetup.  I used xf86config to generate a generic file, which I
hand-edited to make my fixed-frequency video board, after studying the
XFree86 video timings HOWTO.

------------------------------

From: "J. Blair" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Turtle Beach Montego II
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 23:16:00 -0500

short ans...no.
it's an aureal au8830 vortex 2 chipset.  oss (opensound.com) is a commercial
sound option...(i think it's $20-40 dep on what you want)...and they're
trying to get it to work.  they have a beta for the vortex 1 au8820, though
it's not the good from what i'm told.  they're trying to get better ones
made for both chipsets.  visit oss and learn for yourself.
cheers,
jimmy
news:7m0s97$oof$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC: Cost/Performance SCSI/IDE
Date: 07 Jul 1999 18:39:22 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown) writes:

> OK, I'm stupid. Can anyone out there explain to me why a SCSI hard drive
> costs about twice as much as a similiarly sized IDE hard drive? Someone
> once told me it was due to the SCSI interface being more expensive to
> implement.

It has nothing to do with that. The problem seem to be the quantities
produced and selled. A couple of years ago the difference in prices
were only mariginal (sometimes the choice of interface was offered at
equal price).

/Lars

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 21:42:04 GMT

Jay Patrick Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: Must be something wrong with that site.  It merely shows a simple
>: graphic and is instantaneous on my system.  No lag whatsoever, but
>: somehow I don't think I am seeing what you want me to see.
>
>Netscape should choke trying to load these.  If you loaded 13.html
>successfully, you're probably using IE.  That, or your copy of Netscape
>has development sentience and re-coded itself using a O(n) algorithm.

Opps, was using ie 5.  Using Netscape 4.61, there are problems as you
go further down the table scale, though 11 came up in 2 seconds.

Mike

------------------------------

From: Rolston Jeremiah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSe +  Hardrive partitioning
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 05:53:23 -0400

Hello group,

I have a 8GB hardrive  ready to install SuSe 6.1. I not sure how
many or how large partitions should be. The SuSe installation guide
does not recommend partition/size. I have cooked up a rough sketch
as a guide.

If anyone has done this before I will greatly appreciate your input(add
partition, delete partition, change size, etc.)Here is what I  have done

partition    size     mount point     inode       partition type

hda1        120M      /               2048          linux native
hda2         10M      /boot           1024          linux native
hda3       4000M      /usr/local      40960         linux native
hda5        520M      /usr/src        8192          linux native
hda6        500M      /var            8192          linux native
hda7       2600M      /home           4096          linux native
hda8        100M      /tmp            2048          linux native
hda9         10M      /                             MSDos
hda10       140M      /swap                         swap

Will this suffice?

Thanks for your help

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Thomas)
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 and Linux
Date: 7 Jul 1999 21:56:54 GMT

Alessio Checcucci ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Please anyone may help me?

: I bought a new machine 2 months ago:

:                     AMD K6-2 350
:                     Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (2Mbyte cache)
:                     128 Mbyte PC100 SDRAM (8 ns)
:                     Video card Matrox Millenium G200 LE (8Mbyte SDRAM)
:                     ASUS 40X CD-ROM
:                     IBM DTTA-351010 HDD
:                     Soundblaster PCI64V Sound card
:                     Adaptec 2904 SCSI controller

i have pretty much the same setup, at least in the major components, no
problems, but i'm only on RH 5.2:

AMD K6-2 350
Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (2Mbyte cache)
128 Mbyte PC100 SDRAM (8 ns)
Video card Matrox Millenium G200 LE (8Mbyte SDRAM)
wd 10Gig hdd
soundblaster isa awe64
teac 40X CD-ROM/scsi
tekram 390f scsi card
seagate 8gig/scsi tape backup
plextor 8x cd-r/scsi
scsi zip

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick)
Subject: ESS688 Soundchip without tone
Date: 8 Jul 1999 05:07:56 GMT

just setup a Toshiba Sattelite 400CS with onboard ESS688 that should be SB16
compatible. Used Kernel 2.2.10 and enabled OSS, SB16 and Generic OPL.
At Kernelstart, the Message ESS688 comes and the Speaker gives the typical
"plopp". Under /proc/sound the card is shown.

But no sound comes out, so i am wondered. Playing Audio-CDs or Mp3 gives no
tone.

Do the ESS688 need a Dos Driver-Init to be a SB16?

------------------------------

From: Jack Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.hp.hardware
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet series II
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 23:02:13 -0400

hog wrote:

> That's a memory overflow message. You sent more data than the printer has
> memory for.
>
> James Murray wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm having a problem printing more than 2 pages on my laserjet series II
> >using Linux Redhat 5.2 and magicfilter.
> >
> >I end up with a half completed second page and get an "error 20" on the
> >front panel.
> >
> >As I purchased the printer secondhand without manuals, could someone let
> >me know what this error code means, and also, any information regarding
> >success with linux, magicfilter and a laserjet.
> >
> >Regards,
> >James

  I use a Laserjet 3, which isn't all that radically different.  The
last place I worked, I had a Laserjet 2 on my desk.  Linux or Unix, it
needs to have its memory maxed out to get anything more complicated than
a simple text page all on one sheet.  Try Pacific Page or maybe the H-P
refurb program.  Lyme Software in Lyme, N.H. is also a possible place to
find a memory expansion board for this printer.
  You might also want to plug in a PostScript cartridge, if you don't
already have one.  Printing should speed up considerably.  Pacific Page
is the only place I know to go for that.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: thinkpad nic
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 22:37:24 GMT

> I've got a ThinkPad 770ED with an IBM EtherJet PCMCIA NIC.  RH6.0 runs like
> a champ in all regards on it, except I can't get it to recognize the NIC.
> What PCMCIA NICs work with this laptop/RH6.0?

I have that card on my 765d.  You can use the cs89x0_cs module.  If it
is not included by default, you can get it from the cs home @
Stanford, hyper.stanford.edu   I think the source is up to 3.0.13

rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Thomas)
Subject: Re: Tekram-Controller
Date: 7 Jul 1999 22:02:28 GMT

Karl Lewalter ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,

: i want to install SuSE 6.1. My Cd-Rom is connected to a Tekram 390F
: controller, which is located at 6500h and Irq 10. According to the
: handbook I added the following parameter before installing : linux
: ncr53c8xx=0x650,10. But the controller is still not recognized by setup.

: Can anybody help ?? Thanks ...

RH 5.2 detects the 390F immediatly.

------------------------------

From: Sami Yousif <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netzero on Linux
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 23:46:06 -0500

Brian Hall wrote:

> Correct. However, it is a Java app, packaged in a Windows executable. There
> should be no problem running it on Linux, once it has been ripped out of its
> Windows outer shell. Someone should start an email campaign to get these
> guys to release a Linux version... Can you imagine- a $200 box, running
> Linux, with FREE net access? I think that could capture a large segment of
> the market, the one that is still not online.
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Anita Lewis wrote:
> >netzero does not work on linux
> >
> >Anita

The problem is that netzero's buisness model depends on them being able to keep
that applet running, and constantly displayed on the screen...

They cant do that with linux.... so there is no real motivation to get it done
(short of a specialized distibution that does not allow switching to a command
line virtual terminal....)

--
-

Sami Yousif

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.mav.net/teddyr/syousif/      Personal Page
http://www.alug.org/                    Amarillo Linux Users Group

[eMail sent to any of my addresses is subject to the Conditions outlined
in http://www.mav.net/teddyr/emailtos.shtml]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Roberts)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Maestro 2 Soundcard under Linux
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 05:20:42 GMT

Thorsten Lange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Jessica Boyd wrote:
>
>I have the same problem, but I must confess, I couldn't find any beta
>driver for Linux
>on the ess-hp which is www.esstech.com.
>Can someone help me out? I don't want to pay money for any commercial
>driver.

Unfortunately, that's the only choice right now.  http://www.opensound.com
has a beta driver for the Maestro 1 and 2.  It's $30.
--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

------------------------------

From: "FM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Bad/semi-usable sectors? (Workarounds for hard disk anomaly?)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 13:28:37 -0400

Does anyone know if any disk-checking utilities for Linux
can mark sectors as bad even if they are read/writable
(perhaps using timeout criteria)? I seem to have a bunch of
sectors on my HD that are technically usable but have
unacceptable access time. Below is a longer version of the
story and I'd appreciate any other relevent information.
Thanks a lot.

I just got a new laptop (Mag TinyNote) on Tuesday.
Naturally, one of the first things on my to-do-list was to
install Linux (I had already purchased a RedHat 6.0 CD from
CheapByte). So I divided the partition (using FIPS; I had
nothing to lose anyway) and installed RedHat Linux, spending
hours on package selection (copying files onto the hard disk
also took hours but I never suspected that the hardware was
at fault). On first boot, however, I received a message that
there are errors in filesystem, and that checking is forced;
and sometime later an error message from automatic run of
fsck (inconsistency error or whatever). Upon manual run of
fsck, I was faced with several "short read errors" and
prompts (Ignore? it quits upon no ignores upon yes) but no
offer to fix any problems. I concluded that something was
seriously wrong (including the possibility that these
programs themselves are corrupt; I still hoped it was
all-software) and decided to do everything all over. At
first I just deleted the Linux partitions and created a
FAT32 drive instead, just to see what scandisk would have to
say. The result was astounding. The scandisk took about 4-5
seconds checking normal 1024 clusters (4k per cluster) but
literaly forever on some blocks. I got bored after following
it for a while and went to sleep. I was surprised to find
that it was only about 1/3 done (on a 1.2 partition) when I
woke up, after probably running for 10+ hours. I quit the
program and found 100 clusters marked as bad. At this point
I was fairly sure that it was hardware problem and recalled
"check for bad sectors during format" option from RedHat
setup. I then wiped out and repartitioned the entire hard
disk (superstitiously hoping this somehow changes anything)
installing Win98 on the first partition and then Linux on
the next. I received a kernel panic while Red Hat setup was
formatting the root partition (where all the errors reside)
but I just ran the setup again. The same formatting part of
the setup finished after around 3 hours but I thought it was
a one-time deal. (Btw, I wonder whether it is software that
tries several times to access the data or hardware; I
assumed that it was hardware because all programs, including
MS-DOS format, scandisk (dos/win), fsck, RedHat setup
format, exhibited similar pattern). Copying files took
merely (in comparison) about 20 minutes and soon I was at
the linux startup screen. Then when INND (don't ask me why I
need this on a laptop :) was starting, I noticed a temporary
freeze with the exact access pattern (well by the sound and
HD indicator light; I'm rather sensitive about those) that
disk utilities were showing when they were accessing the
troubled parts of the disk. I panicked but fortunately the
kernel didn't and INND started up without an error. I then
configured X which then started with GNOME/Enlightenment.
Again the same sort of temporary freeze (3-20 seconds) with
the same sort of HD access pattern occurred with some
programs, especially when I was browsing with a file
manager. With disappointment I concluded that there are many
sectors that are bad but haven't been marked as such because
they are somehow usable. But they are so slow; after all one
bottleneck is all you need to bring down
usability/performance and having to access (without warning)
parts of a hard disk that are slower than a floppy provides
exactly that. So for now I returned to Win98 (all the errors
are isolated on the Linux partition; and I haven't got
around setting up the ethernet card) and wrote up this
piece. I think the warranty should cover this problem but it
might not be worth it if I have to pay for shipping. It's
only a two-gig hard disk after all and the defect is minor.
But does the fact that it already has problems make it more
likely to introduce errors in the future?

Again, thanks in advance.

Dan.

------------------------------

From: "Asim Shankar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Internal Modem
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:05:10 +0530

Skipper,

There MUST be a way.
Will try for longer, if I still have problems will get an external.

Thanx anyway,

-- Asim

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jon Splane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: format >2GB hard
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 10:56:26 -0700

Try this.

Boot from the Win98 floppy and enter FDISK /MBR to rewrite the master
boot record.

Run FDISK again and repartion the hard drive as you want it.

Install Win98 first then Linux.

Jon

------------------------------

From: Ronald Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster Live!
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 17:07:43 -0700

Hi, there are now drivers for this card, go to the
linux hardware database
http://lhd.datapower.com/
and follow the links from there...

R Haynes

------------------------------

From: Jenine Von Essen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6 linux and RAID
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 20:08:42 -0400

Is it possible to have a (3) drive raid array with linux and also boot
of it.  This is hardware raid, not software raid.

-john

------------------------------

From: "kookoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BTOS OS
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:27:38 -0400

Looking for BTOS os filesystem support module

------------------------------

From: "James Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 06:39:16 +0100

Asim Shankar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7m1g50$k0i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I have a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Value soundcard.
>
> The Creative site says that they are currently no drivers for Linux
created
> by them.
>
> Can I still get sound through it in Linux by any means?

Try http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/

Creative are developing the drivers, but they're at an early stage right
now, so they don't really advertise these drivers on the main website.  Be
warned: judging by the number of posts about them here, they can be quite
difficult to install if you don't have a stock RedHat 5.2 or 6.0 system and
aren't too familiar with Linux internals, and they only support a limited
subset of the Live's features.  Not to put you off, but that's the truth
about them right now.  :-(
However, they will get better.  And if you get stuck installing them, you
can always come back here!  :-)

Marm

------------------------------

From: "James Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA 66 Support
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:02:55 +0100

Bully Cakes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7m05a5$481$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

[snip]

> No! Ultra DMA33 is not supported very well for the kernel 2.2.x

What are you talking about?  UDMA/33 is supported very well in kernel 2.2.x.
AFAIK it supports all the major UDMA/33 chipsets, and since kernel 2.2.0 DMA
support has defaulted to on at bootup if you have the necessary hardware.
Kernels 2.0.x had a few issues with UDMA/33, which was why it defaulted to
off, but they were sorted out by later 2.0.x kernels.

> Ultra DMA66 IS NOT supported by the kernel 2.2.x

No, but it should be along soon.  In most respects it's not a huge change
from UDMA/33 (I doubt the UDMA/66 chipsets are that much different from the
UDMA/33 ones), and in any case, you can always run UDMA/66 drives in UDMA/33
mode and use them on the motherboard IDE channels until the support is
there.  As far as performance is concerned, UDMA/66 is a bit of a non-issue
right now anyway, as the current state-of-the-art IDE hard drives can barely
use half the bandwidth of UDMA/33 anyway, except in VERY short bursts.  The
difference is negligible.

I have to wonder if UDMA/66 was really a necessary development technically,
or whether it was done to keep Promise/BusLogic and hard drive manufacturers
in business.  By the time hard drives actually get round to using the
UDMA/66 bandwidth, IDE hard drives will no longer be IDE, but will be
running off FireWire/USB2 (or whatever has become Intel's flavour of the
month at that point)....

Marm

------------------------------

From: "James Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: laser-printer for linux
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:26:09 +0100

Felix Natter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> does anyone have hints for buying a laser-printer that
> works well with linux ?
> Right now I've got a HPDJ 660C, and I'm not happy
> with the printing quality when printing from linux (gs).

If you're buying a laser printer for use with Linux, then your best bet is
one that understands Postscript (or a clone of) - as I'm sure you're aware,
most UNIX programs output Postscript when printing.  There are actually
quite a few reasonably-priced laser printers with Postscript now - the
Brother HL-1070 is a good example.
Failing that, anything which supports PCL is well supported, which means
pretty much every modern laser printer out there, apart from
Windows-specific printers (grrr).

BTW, what exactly is wrong with the printouts from your deskjet?  Do you get
decent print quality under Windows?  If so, then it might just need a little
tweaking under Linux.

Marm

------------------------------

From: "Joe M. SHIMURA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 15:43:12 +0900

Karl Lewalter wrote:

> i want to install SuSE 6.1. My Cd-Rom is connected to a Tekram 390F
> controller, which is located at 6500h and Irq 10. According to the
> handbook I added the following parameter before installing : linux
> ncr53c8xx=0x650,10. But the controller is still not recognized by setup.

 I think  you probably had better recompile linux kernel.
I use Debian (kern 2.2.7) with DC390U after recompiled.

--
| Joe Minoru SHIMURA < email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] >|