Linux-Hardware Digest #700, Volume #12           Mon, 17 Apr 00 12:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: HP DAT tape drive ("Larry Ebbitt ")
  Re: Phoneline NICs for Linux (Dave Weis)
  Re: Wanted: Apple LaserWriter II driver (Dave Weis)
  Re: Epson EPL 5700L (Pascual =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mu=F1oz=20Mu=F1oz?=)
  Re: Athlon and Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SCSI CD-ROM setup? ("Jay M. Robertson")
  Re: new monitor (Joe Hutley)
  Re: No Sound in Quake2 for Linux (Joe Hutley)
  Re: Voodoo3, X4 and 24 bits (Sander Grendelman)
  Re: Wireless neworking for Linux and Windows for home use (Dave Kristol)
  WangTek 5150 in Linux
  Re: Linux, hard disks, UDMA, and such (was: mp3 problems) (Michael J Porter)
  Re: PCMCIA modem problem (steve)
  Re: Q: Best printer for linux box? (Harry Travis)
  Linux Driver for Adaptec RAID Card AAA-131U2? (George Tye-Yan Yeh)
  Re: Wireless neworking for Linux and Windows for home use (RJ)
  Linux and i820 ("CrazyFrench")
  Kensington VideoCAM PC Camera Support on Linux? (Young4ert)
  Re: Athlon and Linux? (Duane)
  Re: Locking a DAT TAPE? (Michael Meissner)
  Trouble with Suse 6.3 Install and cdrom (Bill Schoolfield)

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
From: "Larry Ebbitt " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:30:38 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: HP DAT tape drive

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:39:54 -0400, Weasie wrote:

>Cannot get RH 6.1 to recognize my HP DAT tape drive.  SCSI driver
>installed and working (runs CD).  This newbie needs help.

Let us have a little more info.  How are you attempting to access
the drive?  What response do you get?

Larry - Atlanta - IBM Global Services

------------------------------

From: Dave Weis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Phoneline NICs for Linux
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:57:12 -0500

The linksys 1 mbit PCI cards work fine in newer kernels with the pcnet32
driver.
dave

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | Voice 515-278-0133 Ext 231
                          | http://www.perfectionlearning.com/
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the Fifth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment and I can't say anything.

------------------------------

From: Dave Weis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wanted: Apple LaserWriter II driver
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:57:43 -0500

It's a postscript printer, you don't need a separate driver.

dave

From: Pascual =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mu=F1oz=20Mu=F1oz?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson EPL 5700L
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:51:51 +0100

Dear Dr. Schneider:

I'm really new in Linux's world. Please, could you tell me how to do it?

Thanks again for your time.

"Dr. Wolfgang Schneider" wrote:

> Pascual Muñoz Muñoz wrote:
> >
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I'd like to know how to make my Epson Laser EPL 5700L printer run on my
> > RedHat 6.3 Linux.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> I used the Epson Lp8000 configuration with 300x300. hplj4 didn't work
> properly.

Pascual Muñoz Muñoz - Telecommunication Engineer
Optical Communications Group
Departamento de Comunicaciones E.T.S.I.T
Camino de Vera s/n - 46071 Valencia, SPAIN
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Fax: +34-6-3877309

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Athlon and Linux?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:45:59 GMT

Interesting,
What is the rest of your system configuration?  I thought I had the
problem licked, but it popped back up.  Suddenly everything locked up
and I was stuck with nothing, completely out of the blue.
Perhaps it's my memory...
OH WAIT!  Now I see, but I don't understand.
IRQ 11 is taken by my video and sound card.
This could be it, but how do I change it?

*ponder*
Help?
Mike

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Junk Mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am running RH6.1 on an Epox EP-7KXA with a 700 MHz Athlon and PC133
> RAM, and everything is running great; well, the on board sound doesn't
> work, but that doesn't really bother me. I made absolutely no changes
in
> BIOS settings from what it came with, and have not done a BIOS
upgrade.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >   The only advice I have to you is to be wary of the Epox EP-7KXA
> > motherboard.  I have an Athlon 700 and everything is extremely
speedy.
> >   I will be doing some work with my system soon, and I hope to fix
> > whatever issue I seem to be having, but this motherboard I think may
be
> > causing my system to lock.
> >   I have disabled the onboard sound in the bios, have a dual boot
> > system, in Windoze I get static out of my SB Live for some reason.
> > Fixed with the mobo driver disk.  When running Linux my system runs
fine
> > for a short time then becomes unresponsive to anything but the reset
> > key.
> >  There is a bios upgrade for the board, so perhaps when I flash it I
> > will have better luck.
> >   Anyways, do some research.  People with the Asus board seems to
have
> > no problems at all.
> >
> > Good luck
> > Mike
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   Aaron Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > A couple of questions...
> > >
> > > I am thinking about buying an Athlon 700 and was wondering how it
> > worked
> > > with Linux.  Right now I am running RH on an AMD K6-2 233 and it
runs
> > > perfect, but a friend of mine said it ran kinda slow with his
Athlon
> > > 600, so I wanted to get others' opinions also.
> > >
> > > Also, I need to get a new AGP video card to go with that Athlon
and
> > was
> > > wondering which kind works good with Linux and is a good card.  I
> > don't
> > > need a 3D accelerator like Voodoo or anything, just something that
is
> > > AGP and has 8Megs of memory and easily does 24-bit color in
1600x1200.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Aaron
> > >
> > > --
> > > "You smoke your head on strait, then drink your woes away..." -
Phil

From: "Jay M. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI CD-ROM setup?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:15:03 -0700

Hi all,
  I am running into a similar problem.  I am running Red Hat 6.1 Deluxe,
Server install, on an IBM PC350. I have two Adaptec 1542CP controllers and
each connects to a tower of 6 NEC 6x CDROMs.  At first, I could mount all 6
of the first tower and 2 of the second.  I then found out about the mknod
and I am now able to mount 4 of the second. If I try to mount cdrom10, I
get:
mount: special device /dev/cdrom10 does not exist
  I also swapped the cdrom towers to make sure I could mount all six on the
second tower -- I could, and I could only mount 4 on the first.  Any help
on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Jay M. Robertson
CIT III
MO Div of Medical Services

------------------------------

From: Joe Hutley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: new monitor
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 05:35:36 -0400

Chris Williams wrote:

> hi, can someone give me the name of a nice monior
> that wiil go well with my new shinny aluminum case?
>
> chris

I just bought a Princeton EO750 17" monitor and it's pretty slick. Works
great in X.

-Joe H.

From: Joe Hutley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No Sound in Quake2 for Linux
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 05:39:11 -0400

H Bohm wrote:

> Hey everybody
> I'm running SuSE Linux 6.4 using the autodected soundcard
> config (by yast2)
> It works fine everywhere expect Quake2.
> I tested OSS but it doesn't know my Soundcard
>
> Any idea what's the problem?

Which brand of soundcard are you running? Is it PCI or ISA? Is support
for it compiled into the kernel or is it a module?

-Joe H.

From: Sander Grendelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Voodoo3, X4 and 24 bits
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:07:19 +0200

Steve Martin wrote:

> > > Incorrect! I'm running a Voodoo3 2000 PCI here under RH6 and XF86 3.3.3,
> > > and it's running in 32-bit mode as verified by xdpyinfo.
> >
> > I think 16bit is the max for accelerated mode, otherwise it doesn't matter.

16 bit is the maximum for 3D-Acceleration, that's something entirely different
from2D acceleration, which should work for the Voodoo3

> Ah. That may be correct; I have no knowledge. I'm running the svga
> server here from 3.3.3, so it's not accelerated. You're right,
> though... great card.

 For a lot of cards the svga-server IS accelerated ...

Hope this helped,

            Sander Grendelman

-- kill the nospam to mail back !
       Old programmers never die, they just branch to a new address.

From: Dave Kristol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wireless neworking for Linux and Windows for home use
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:57:27 -0400

JP wrote:

> I'm looking for some wireless LAN products for home use that will work with
> both Linux (RedHat) and Windows 98.
>
> So far I've seen 2 possible product lines:
>   Lucent ORINOCO - http://wavelan.com/products/
>   3Com Air Connect - http://www.3com.com/mobile/wireless/product.html
>
> For now I have 2 PC's I need to connect that are about 50 feet apart.  The
> network cards will need to be PCI or ISA cards.  I may be adding a notebook
> computer so PC cards should also be available.
>
> Does anyone out there have any experience with these products using Linux?
> Any other recommendations?

I've been using WaveLAN cards (equivalent to ORINOCO) at home for
several months now on a Dell laptop (RH 6.1) and a Mac Powerbook.  Works
great.  It's terrific to be able to grab the laptops and wander anywhere
in the house and remain connected.  For Linux I've been using the
drivers at <http://www.fasta.fh-dortmund.de/users/andy/wvlan/>.

Dave Kristol

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WangTek 5150 in Linux
Date: 17 Apr 2000 15:18:45 GMT

Hello everybody.
I have a WangTek 5150 tape drive that came
with an ISA card (8 bits) from Compaq labeled
as: Tape Host Adapter, Diagram 000775. Does
anyone knows how to get this tape drive working
under Linux 2.0.x?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael J Porter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux, hard disks, UDMA, and such (was: mp3 problems)
Date: 17 Apr 2000 10:18:54 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
=>On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 02:16:37 +0100, Ian Molton
=><<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
=>>Jeff Workman wrote:
=>>whats this? could my linux not be using UDMA33 ? how do I find out if it
=>>is or not?
=>
=>To accomodate old hardware, by default Linux uses the bare minimum of a
=>hard drive's capabilities.  The emergence of UDMA33/66 has complicated
=>things, because there are about 8 different chipsets for UDMA/XX and the
=>lowlevel black magic that kicks one chipset into UDMA/33 mode can cause
=>another chipset to barf messily.
=>
=>The easiest, quickest, and least painful way to improve hard drive
=>performance under Linux on a modern system is to put this line in
=>/sbin/init.d/boot.local (/etc/rc.d/rc.local for RH folks):
=>  hdparm -c1 -u1 -d1 -m16 /dev/hda
=>Read the man page for hdparm to figure out what that actually does.

This would typically take my hard drive from about 3.1 mb/s to
somewhat over 7 mb/s.  Without using DMA (-d 0).  Depending on what
chipset you have, adding -d1 can cause problems.  The reason is
that hdparm only changes the IDE device, it does not change the IDE
controller except possibly in the generic sense.  So, if your
chipset needs special setups, then you really should enable
whatever 'autotuning' is available and use the patch I mention
below.

When I was experimenting with this, I would do:

lilo> linux S    (boot into single user mode)
thedog # umount -a      # unmount all file systems, except root
thedog # mount -o remount,ro /   # remount / as readonly

thedog # dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null &  # run more than one of these

And see if you get any problems.  Particularly DMA timeouts, etc.

If that works, mount a temp file system r/w and try some untars or
something to make sure writes work too.

=>UDMA/XX support is not enabled by default for reasons mentioned above.  If
=>you want this support, you should get a recent kernel, know what chipset
=>your IDE controller has, and compile support for that chipset in.
=>Afterwards, everything should work automagically, and the boot messages
=>will say something like
=>VT 82C597 Apollo VP3
=> Chipset Core ATA-33
=>Split FIFO Configuration:  8 Primary buffers, threshold = 1/2
=>                           8 Second. buffers, threshold = 1/2
=>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
=>ide0: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success
=>    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
=>ide1: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success

Depending on what kernel you get, you may want to apply the ide
patch which can be found at http://www.linux-ide.org/.  The current
patch is for 2.2.15 pre 17.

Mike
--
===
Mike Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: PCMCIA modem problem
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:09:28 -0600

Shawn Yeager wrote:

> I'm using the same Dell laptop and Mandrake 7.0 installed and had the modem
> operational without a hitch.
>
> Shawn
>
> zoobe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8d9qtt$1c2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I have a similar problem.  I'm using a Dell Latitude CPi with a Xircom
> > ethernet/modem combo.  I've read the PCMCIA HOWTO several times and have
> > found no help there.  I'm new to Linux on laptops.
> >
> > How are you verifying that it does not connect with any serial port? I'm
> > using Redhat 6.1 and according to the PCMCIA howto cardmgr should record
> the
> > device information for each socket in the "stab" file; however; I cannot
> > find the "stab" file in any of the locations it lists.  Do you know where
> it
> > is located in the Redhat dist?
> > (HOWTO: section 4.1)
> >
> > Erik
> >

> > "Alexei Pankin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8d86q4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I installed Redhat 6.2 on my Compaq Armada 7800. PCMCIA driver loads
> > > and cardctl recognizes successfully my modem, but it looks like it does
> > not
> > > connect with any serial port and minicom does not work.
> > >
> > > I would appreciate any suggestions.
> > >
> > > Alex.

I had this problem with my XIRCOM: first, if eth0 is up, bring it down with
ifconfig eth0 down, then use setserial to change the IRQ to something that
isn't used (I do setserial /dev/ttyS1 IRQ 13) then use setserial to put it to
the correct IRQ (setserial /dev/ttyS1 IRQ 3 for me). Just switching the IRQ
seems
to get it to work. I think this is because the ethernet interface and the
modem use
the same IRQ, and the modem doesn't realize that the IRQ is free, shutting
down
the ethernet interface and reassining the IRQ must make cardctl realize that
it's
OK for the modem to use this IRQ and thus it allows the serial port to attach
the modem. Anyways, the PCMCIA docs say that the tulip support for these
cards is buggy and experimental. My system has the modem set-up for COM2,
you need to use XIRCOM's utility to set this (from Windows), as I think it is
COM5 by default (you can use COM5 too, you would just need to add a line like
setserial /dev/ttyS4 IRQ n PORT 0xm to your rc.serial, it's just easier to use

one of the automatically configured ports com1-4) . Once you get everything
working, you can add all this monkeying around to your ppp scripts to make it
seamless.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.periphs.printers
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry Travis)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:34:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Q: Best printer for linux box?

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 04/14/00
   at 10:17 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Williams) said:

>On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:16:18 -0400, Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote: >Alexis Bilodeau wrote:

>>DON'T buy the Lexmark Z-series stuff. They're Windows-only printers.
>>

>also don't buy Lexmark 3200. I have one, and although it's fine for
>Win9x, for Linux, it's useless.

Not all Z series are alike, as those looking for Win2000 drivers will
find out. The 5700 and Z51 have OS/2 drivers available.

The Lexmark Optra Color printers have excellent and enthusiastic support
for and from Linux. Not surprising since they include Postscript
emulation. Go to deja.com and search to find that out.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry Travis)
DemostiX

From: George Tye-Yan Yeh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Driver for Adaptec RAID Card AAA-131U2?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:32:08 GMT

Hi,

Anyone know is the Linux driver for Adaptec RAID Card AAA-131U2
exist?

Where can I get it?

Thanks in advance.

- George Tye-Yan Yeh
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: RJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:30:05 GMT

JP,

The serial converter, I believe, is just another way to connect a card to
your machine.  What I use for the access point in an old Linux box.  You
need a regular NIC, a wireless NIC and PCMCIA-to-ISA converter (you could
put a modem in there too if that's your method to access the Internet).
Then your wireless clients can be directed to use it as a router.  No need
to buy an access point... you've just built one!  You can even configure
the Linux machine to do DHCP so that you don't have to configure the
network stacks on your wireless clients.

RJ

JP wrote:

> Thanks, one more question though:
>
> What do you use as the "base" station?  On their web site it looks like
> there are a few options:
>
>   ORINOCO Ethernet & Serial Converter (Formerly WaveLAN Ethernet/Serial
> Converter)
> or
>   ORINOCO RG-1000 Residential Gateway
>
> There are a few others but these two look like they're meant for small
> networks.  I just picked up a copy of PC Magazine that reviews a few of
> these and they say that they used thw WavePoint-II access point which is
> ~$1000.  The Ethernet & Serial Converter looks to go for about $400 so if
it
> will do I'd really like to save the 600 bucks.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "CrazyFrench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and i820
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:31:36 +0200

hi,

I have the AsusP3C2000 mainboard with the i820 chipset and a ethernet
card realteak 8029.
With my old BX chipset no problem. But now linux (Redhat6.2) see my
ethernet card with the irq 0 whereas the irq is 7 !!! (i see it in the
bios).
Under win98 it's work fine...
It is a bug?

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Kensington VideoCAM PC Camera Support on Linux?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:30:19 -0400

Hi,

I just purchased a VideoCAM PC Camera (USB version) made by Kensington
from the local computer store.  Before I will open the box, I will like
to know if this camera is fully supported under Linux.  Can anyone
please tell if where to look for the driver for this camera as well as
the software to use it under Linux?

TIA.

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:35:21 GMT

My configuration is:
Epox EP-7KXA with a 700 MHz Athlon
Using the built-in sound (VIA VT82C686A) rather than a sound card. Rod
Smith's suggestion to use the ALSA sound drivers worked great.
Matrox G400
Actiontec PCI56012-01CW PCI modem
Linksys LNE100TX ethernet
Parallel port printer

As long as your video and audio are both on the PCI bus, that should not
be a problem. PCI devices can share interrupts. My video and modem share
IRQ 10, and my ethernet shares IRQ 11 with all the devices on the VIA
VT82C686A (there is more than just audio). On the other hand, if you are
trying to use an ISA sound card, perhaps take it out for now and see if
that is the problem.

--

Subject: Re: Locking a DAT TAPE?
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Apr 2000 11:52:38 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> #include <std/disclaimer.h>
> Hello,
>
> Is it poseble to 'lock' a DAT tape, so that pressing the eject button won't
> work.

I've gotten my drives in this state a few times over the years.  Generally what
works is to turn off the machine for 5 minutes or so and then turn it back on.
IIRC, the WangDAT drives have a special mechanism to eject the tape manually.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company.
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: Bill Schoolfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble with Suse 6.3 Install and cdrom
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:52:19 +0100

Hi:

I just pieced together a AMD K6/2 450 MHZ machine. It has 128 mb of
pc100 ecc memory, a western digital ultra ata/66 10.2 gb disk, a xpress
52X cdrom, ati xpert 128 (agp) video card, sound blaster pci 512 card,
and a 10/100 pci ethernet card from kingston. The motherboard is a fic
pa-2013.

Here's my problem: Initially I was able to get Suse Linux 6.3 installed.
Then I ran into trouble with configuring X for my video card. I
installed the latest XFree86 release that is suppose to support my video
card with no success (when x server launched all I get is a black
screen). Then I noticed a new sxvga available from Suse.

So I decided I wanted to reinstall Linux to clean up my XFree86 mess
then I was going to install the new xsvga server. Well for some reason I
can't get the install program to start successfully. (I'm booting from
the first install cd). What happens is I'm getting hung with the message
message and linux does come up but whenever the cdrom is referenced
again for the installation process to begin it fails  (I'll get the msg
with the cdrom doing something!), I'll eventually get the message "An
error occurred during installation!").

It appears that the problem is related to I/O errors with the cdrom.

I've double checked my hardware configuration, tried just about every
cmos setting I can think of to no avail. Anybody got an idea on what is
wrong here?

Bill