From: "time traveller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Network Card Problems
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:24:09 GMT

did you run linuxconf?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: IDE-SCSI woes
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:27:14 -0000

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:28:23 GMT, Gary Sandine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Siukong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> so now, i still don't have a clue how to make it work.
>
>We build Linux boxes with working cdrw's.  Here's what we do.
>
>I suggest you compile a kernel for scsi emulation, removing atapi
>cd support.  Red Hat gives config files in the directory configs

        This can conflict with dvdrom support in some instances.
        As long as ide-cd support is in a module, it shouldn't
        be a big deal to enable only one IDE device as scsi
        emulated.

        Mandrake 7.1 sets all of this up automatically at install time.

[deletia]

--

  An INK-LING?  Sure -- TAKE one!!  Did you BUY any COMMUNIST UNIFORMS??

  Sometimes the best medicine is to stop taking something.

  This land is full of trousers!
  this land is full of mausers!
        And pussycats to eat them when the sun goes down!
                -- Firesign Theater

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: IDE-SCSI woes (was: Add SCSI support RH 6.2)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:28:14 -0000

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:45:14 GMT, Siukong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Matt G,
>
>   well, i followed the howto to add the append="hdd=ide-scsi"
>into the line in lilo.conf. however, it doesn't seem to work for me. the

        Did you rerun lilo after you did that?

[deletia]

--

  I am so optimistic about beef prices that I've just leased a pot roast
  with an option to buy.

  Q:    How do you know when you're in the <ethnic> section of Vermont?
  A:    The maple sap buckets are hanging on utility poles.

  I put up my thumb... and it blotted out the planet Earth.
                -- Neil Armstrong

------------------------------

From: Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arco-IDE-RAID not in DMA mode :-(
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:27:41 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dick Visser) ha scritto:

>OK that /u option gives another menu item (which I cannot find
anywhere in the
>manual!) : Ultra DMA -> Enabled -> Mode 0.
>But when I'm done and reboot nothing has changed. Do I have to
>Uninitialize/Initialize before it works, or even a new CopyData???
I did just that, no initialize, no copydata.
Before doing that I had dma enabled in the BIOS, but linux always said
(hda):

PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio

After that, linux started saying

PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio

However, after doing hdparm -d1, I had crc errors when doing high HD
usage; so that I bought uata cables (even if I just needed dma; had to
made holes in the cable connectors to make them fit into the arco
connectors) and this helped a bit, but not completely (still have some
errors every now and then).
I use a standard kernel, without dma patches. Maybe you'll be more
lucky with those patches, don't know.

>Are there any more hidden options on the dos command line btw?
Don't know. I was told about that option by an arco tech person, in
response to a specific request about dma.

>PS I'm using the plain DupliDisk, *not* the DupliDisk II which is
capable of
So do I, I use the pci version though.

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI timeouts with kernel 2.2.17
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:41:21 +0100

I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter which has worked OK
with kernels 2.2.14, 2.2.15 and 2.2.16.

However when I try to run 2.2.17, I get stuck in a loop of error messages
during boot-up...

SCSI: aborting command due to timeout: pid 31, scsi 0, channel 0, id 1,
lun 0 Mode Sense 00 2a 00 80 00

When I revert back to a 2.2.16 kernel, I get a few messages like:

(scsi0:0:1:0) Parity error during Data-In phase.

but it does boot OK.

Does anybody else get problems like this with 2.2.17? Were any changes
made to the aic7xxx driver in 2.2.17 that could cause the timeouts?

I am concerned in case it will also occur with 2.4.0 :-(

Regards...
Richard Townsend

------------------------------

From: "Nisi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any working PCMCIA TV tuner cards?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:47:17 -0400

http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4l.shtml

Nisi
www.mindlessmayhem.com

------------------------------

From: "Nick Abeyta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does Red Hat 7.0 Support MS Intellimouse Explorer?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:49:10 GMT

We've noticed that the MS Explorer mouse locks up when connected to the RH
7.0. Does anyone have any info. on this?

--
Nick Abeyta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "bluster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:51:58 -0400

Wadeegh Hendricks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8rsvv0$1jj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am running a Redhat 6.1 sytem with a DEC Tulip card.  My old card which
> was an NE2000 clone was giving problems so I replaced it witrh this card.
> am new to Linux and have only been using it for a few months.  Although my
> kernel supports the card, it does not seem to pickup the card when I boot
> up.  I desperately need to sort out the problem.
> What configuration tool do I use or is there another way of specifying
> the card to the machine.

Run the linuxconf configuration program as root, e.g.

[root@zephyr]# linuxconf

In linuxconf, go to the:

"Config->Networking->Client tasks->Basic host information->Adapter 1"

dialog box, the settings you want are there.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Happy to help,

Bluster

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: zip drive
Date: 09 Oct 2000 12:00:10 -0700

Ken Siersma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
> Strange things with my zip drive now that I've upgraded to RH 6.1:
>
> Here's /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hdb4               /mnt/zip                vfat    noauto,user,rw
> 0 0
>
> Can't mount it as normal user or root, even though I could last week.  I
> get the following error:
>
> mount: /dev/hdb4 is not a valid block device
>
> Another strange thing is that RH 6.1 won't boot unless a zip disk is in
> the zip drive.  It doesn't matter what disk is in there.
>
> Strange . . .
> Ken

You need to know exactly what kind of internal ZIP drive you have.
Since you're using /dev/hdb4, I'll assume it's an IDE drive.  But
there are still two flavors of that, ATAPI and non-ATAPI.

Very early internal IDE ZIP drives were non-ATAPI drives, while
everything more recent is an ATAPI drive.

Older 2.2 kernels understood how to deal with the non-ATAPI ZIP
drives, but newer 2.2 kernels have a few problems with them.  One of
the problems with newer 2.2 kernels is that they won't boot unless you
have a ZIP disk in the drive.  They sit there forever with a message
like "hdb: lost interrupt".  If you boot with a disk in the drive,
there should be no problem booting.

I don't know where your "not a valid block device" message came from.
Perhaps you have something (in lilo.conf?) that tells the kernel to
use a driver different than "ide-disk" for hdb?  For a non-ATAPI
drive, it appears that you can't use ide-floppy.  But the default
should be ide-disk, so that's probably not the problem.

I have a non-ATAPI ZIP drive, and am able to use RH6.1 and RH6.2
successfully, though I do have the problem that I must leave the disk
in the drive when booting (actually, the disk must be there any time
the system tries to access the ZIP drive, or there are problems).

--
                        Eric Backus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                        http://labejb.lks.agilent.com/

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: looking for terabit ethernet cards for linux
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 12:23:47 -0700

Stefan Kronawithleitner wrote:

> > hello,
> > I'm wondering if there are any terabit ethernet cards for linux.
> > Yes, terabit, not gigabit.
>
> this is impossible, you cant get so much speed over your bus and a
> fibre-cable - this is just in experimental-phase.
> i think you are kidding or you have wrong informations.

This fastest networking equipment i am aware of is an OC-180 ATM switch
(10 Gbps).   They probably use ASIC chips to route traffic, but that is
not a card and definitely not ethernet.   I don't believe there is
terabit anything yet.

------------------------------

From: Karl Payer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bjc-4200 driver
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:17:21 +0200

I know that there are 'photo quality' cartridges (that should work with
720*360 dpi) mentioned in the printers manual of my bjc-4200 but I
didn't use some (nor do I have one).

Sine I noticed that the quality of the printout with the bjc600 driver
under Linux was not as good as from MS Windows I tried the higher
resolution of 720 dpi. 720 dpi with the bjc600 driver, GS v5.10, leads
to a printout that is doubled in both directions! That means a quarter
of a page is fitted to one sheet of paper. I tried also 720*360 and
360*720. But these GS_RESOL values lead to no printout at all, i.e. no
signal is sent by the driver to the printer.

So it seams that the bjc600 driver doesn't support resolutions higher
than 360 dpi.

Karl

------------------------------

From: "bluster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:17:27 -0400

Wadeegh Hendricks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> Hi
>
> I am running a Redhat 6.1 sytem with a DEC Tulip card.  My old card which
> was an NE2000 clone was giving problems so I replaced it witrh this card.
> am new to Linux and have only been using it for a few months.  Although my
> kernel supports the card, it does not seem to pickup the card when I boot
> up.  I desperately need to sort out the problem.  What configuration tool
do

> I use or is there another way of specifying the card to the machine.

The NIC driver is likely loaded as a module.  If it is the settings for
card type and hardware resources (IO-port, IRQ & DMA)  are in the file:
/etc/conf.modules (see: man conf.modules). You can edit this file by hand
if you like, your settings for eth0 might look something like this:

alias eth0 tulip
options tulip io=0x388 irq=10

You may not need the "options" line as the driver may autodetect the
hardware settings when loading.

BTW: network settings for eth0 are in the file
For info about the stuff in there see: man ifconfig

Bluster

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 9 Oct 2000 19:30:51 GMT

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:39:50 +0200, Wadeegh Hendricks wrote:
>I am running a Redhat 6.1 sytem with a DEC Tulip card.  My old card which

What's the exact make+model of the card?

>was an NE2000 clone was giving problems so I replaced it witrh this card.  I
>am new to Linux and have only been using it for a few months.  Although my
>kernel supports the card, it does not seem to pickup the card when I boot
>up.

The "kudzu" automagic hardware detection is buggy/flaky from what I
hear.  Far better to just tell the modutils (or a configuration tool
such as Linuxconf) exactly what card you have.

Have you tried "modprobe tulip" as root?  If this is indeed one of the
older DEC Tulip cards, that command should work without error messages
and give you a usable network interface.  Of course, you'll have to set
up the card's IP address/netmask/braodcast address using ifconfig, or
set the thing up using Linuxconf.

The reason I ask about the exact make/model is that some cards that
claim to be DEC Tulips actually use another module for their operation.
What does "cat /proc/pci" tell you about the card?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: changing modems
Date: 9 Oct 2000 19:30:53 GMT

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 06:57:49 -1000, larry wrote:
>I am changing from an external 28.8(unknown brand) to a Viking 56K
>external... Is there something special I need to do so that x and KDE will
>know I have a new modem?

Nope.  However, you may wish to tell your PPP dialer about the increased
speed possible.  If the modem init string is not set to "ATZ", try that
out first.  Also make sure that the serial port speed is set to 115200,
as anything slower will not give you full "56K" speed.

From: Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ALSA Sound Driver and GNOME
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 19:29:34 -0400

I have an Intel 810 motherboard and am using the ALSA sound drivers for
it.  XMMS and some other programs work, but the GNOME sounds do not.
How can I fix this?  There is no /dev/pcm like I thought there should
be...  What is the deal?

Can't I get the GNOME sound system to work with the ALSA drivers?

Thanks...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dick Visser)
Date: 9 Oct 2000 19:36:25 GMT

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:27:41 GMT, Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I did just that, no initialize, no copydata.

I did do a re-initialize, and afterward reinstalled Linux anyway (didnt matter
it is a fresh box anyway).

>Before doing that I had dma enabled in the BIOS, but linux always said
>(hda):
>
>PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
>
>After that, linux started saying
>
>PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio

Yep. Exactly what I found. Now it works. Not very fast though. Went from 7 to
13 Mb.sec. The plain Maxtor do well over 15 Mb...

>However, after doing hdparm -d1, I had crc errors when doing high HD
>usage; so that I bought uata cables (even if I just needed dma; had to
>made holes in the cable connectors to make them fit into the arco
>connectors) and this helped a bit, but not completely (still have some
>errors every now and then).
>I use a standard kernel, without dma patches. Maybe you'll be more
>lucky with those patches, don't know.

I use Mandrake's 2.2.15 kernel. No CRC errors so far (1 day).
How can you tell it has CRC errors anyway?

--

Dick Visser

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Adding a Windows hard drive
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 19:48:53 GMT

I have a machine that runs solely Redhat 6.1. It has a 9GB hard drive
dedicated to Linux. Now I would like to add a second hard drive
entirely dedicated to the latest version of Windows 2000. About 10GB
would be fine. The question is, what steps do I have to take to add a
second hard drive?  I want it to boot into Linux by default or into
Windows if explicitly stated.

The reason is that my employer is requiring remote access for on-call
work, and Linux is not supported. I have been given a SecureID key and
I don't even know how to begin to configure Linux for remote access. I
need this ASAP so it cannot turn into a 10 day project. :)

I realize this is a FAQ question, so any pointers to web sites, etc.
would be greatly appreciated. Also estimated cost for a SCSI hard drive
+ copy of Windows would be great.

Ilya [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Gene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Logitech Optical Mouse
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:44:53 -0400

What brand and type of KVM switch are you using?

Gene

<3lIC5.15902$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:08:01 GMT

Karl Payer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So it seams that the bjc600 driver doesn't support resolutions
> higher than 360 dpi.

This may be, although I thought it did.  You should also try the
Uniprint drivers bjc*.upp and the new Canon support in the gimp-print
project.  They've supposedly got somewhat interesting output from a
BJC-4400 model; perhaps this will work for your printer, too.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/