Linux-Hardware Digest #708, Volume #10            Thu, 8 Jul 99 21:13:36 EDT

Contents:
  how to find video monitor hsync and vsync info? (Myriam Abramson)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Marc Mutz)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Anthony Hill)
  E-tech bullet 56K PCI modem ("Henk Toorman")
  embedded computers (Brett Alexander)
  how to find video monitor hsync and vsync info? (Myriam Abramson)
  Re: Genius Mouse stays at top of the screen; Gnome with Genius Netmouse Pro ("GTE
News")
  Re: LI (Shahms King)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? ("Jimmy Nilzohn")
  Re: USB Speakers
  Re: E-tech bullet 56K PCI modem ("JohnnyM")
  Re: How much space for each partition? ("TURBO1010")
  Re: 9GB-IBM-harddisk blocks linux (Mike Frisch)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Bryan)
  Re: Netzero on Linux (Czouch)
  Need Exabyte 8mm EXB-8505 Info (Sharon Kedar)
  Re: LI (Brad Felmey)
  $299 linux pc hardware questions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Diamond Fire GL 1000 PRO (Mike Frisch)
  Resizing partitions on the fly? ("Jonathan del Strother")
  Re: aic7xxx and 2930 (Bill Hase)
  LILO and append to Detect SCSI controller at boot ("Jeffrey Knox")
  Re: how to find video monitor hsync and vsync info? (Dave Howland)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Bud (the original))
  Re: LI ("TURBO1010")

From: Myriam Abramson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: how to find video monitor hsync and vsync info?
Date: 08 Jul 1999 17:54:59 -0400

Hi!

I have a very very old monitor (8 yrs?) and I can't find the manual
anywhere.  How do I get the necessary info to configure X?

                                               myriam

Go Proverb:

Those who are good at winning, don't usually fight. -- zhang, 1078 AD

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:30:52 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?

Conlan Adams wrote:

> p.s.  3 weeks on nt without a single freeze on dual celerons and a
> gigabyte ga6bxd dual board running 450 on 100mhz bus.

How come that? Never looked at it, eh?

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS), 0x31748570 (DH)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Hill)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 22:39:21 GMT

On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 21:17:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrzej
Popowski) wrote:
>These are times for compiling Linux kernel with different CPU set:
>
>CPU                    time in seconds
>P2 350                 416
>Celeron 450            353
>Celeron 550            314
>Celeron 450 + P2 350   273
>2*P2 350               256

        Hmm, by my calculations that makes the dual PII 350 chips
62.5% faster then the single PII 350MHz chip.  Unfortunately that is
the only combo that can really be compared directly.  Hmm, not bad,
but not exactly an improvement that makes me want to rush out and get
a dual setup right away, especially since most programs are likely to
see less of an improvement then this.

        It's interesting to note that the dual PII 350MHz chips were
faster then the Celeron 450+PII 350.  I wonder if this is caused by
the simple fact that PIIs work better in multiprocessing systems, or
because the running SMP systems with asynchronous processors causes
other problems.   My guess would be the latter.

Anthony Hill

From: "Henk Toorman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux.xxx,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: E-tech bullet 56K PCI modem
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:08:19 +0200

It is possible to use the E-tech bullet 56k PCI modem in Linux?

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Brett Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: embedded computers
Date: 8 Jul 1999 20:30:55 GMT

Hello I am Computer Engineering student and for my senior design project I
am using the Explorer II microcontroller (EXPLRII) to interface with a
desktop computer, through the serial port. I was wondering if Linux could
be used as a viable operating system for the embedded computer. If anyone
has any valuable advice it would most helpful. Thank you.

Brett

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "GTE News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.xxx,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Genius Mouse stays at top of the screen; Gnome with Genius Netmouse Pro
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 20:32:22 GMT

Type setup at the root prompt.

Select mouse configuration.  Select your proper mouse or MS Compatiable, and
make sure that you DO NOT TURN on 3 button emulate.  I have had similar
problem many times.

------------------------------

From: Shahms King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: LI
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:28:47 -0700

TURBO1010 wrote:

> Help.  Finally got Linux installed again, my computer.  I have a Tyan 1564/D
> 256 megs of ram.  Adaptec 2940U2W, with an IBM 9.1 gig LVD drive.  The
> install went smooth, was able to recompile the kernel, and enable smp
> support.  So I decide to throw in a Promise UDMA controller, that went
> pretty good too.  The card was detected with no problems.  I added 2 more
> ide hard drives, connected to the controller, was able to fdisk them, and
> format them in linux.  Edited fstab, and moved /home and /usr over to the
> new drives.  Cool, everything is working perfect.  I decide to IP
> masquerade, and so I rebuild the kernel.  That went smooth, no problems.  I
> run Lilo, now that the new drives are mounted, and it complains that
> /dev/sda1 is not the first drive, but it still installs on sda1.  I go to
> reboot, and get LI.  That's all that I get.  I can't boot back in.  I try
> the lisa disk, type in boot root=/dev/sda1 and it appears to start, but it
> throws me right back into installing Caldera.  It wont let me boot.  I tried
> the install/boot disk, with the same parameters, boot root=/dev/sda1 and get
> the same thing, throws me right back to the install.  Tried booting from CD
> with the same parameters, and I get the same error message.  I reboot and
> get LI.  Anyone know what I need to do to get back into my system, without
> reinstalling the software?  I figure if I can get in there, and umount the
> other drives, then I could run lilo, and configure my system.
>
> Thanks in advance.

LILO needs to be installed in one of the following locations:
If you have only SCSI, it needs to be on one of the first two SCSI
drives
Only IDE, needs to be on one of the first two IDE drives
SCSI and IDE, it needs to be on the first SCSI, or first IDE.

--Shahms King

P.S. of this I am not certain, but I believe it is mentioned in the LILO
how to.  It should be easy to find at www.linux-howto.com

------------------------------

From: "Jimmy Nilzohn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:10:46 +0200

chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 19:48:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael) wrote:
>
> >a celeron with 128 cache is sufficient for gamers, but its not for
> >business use with numerous multiple windows open.  To deny this is to
> >deny the effect of main memory speed on the processor.
>
> Nonsense.  The extra cache of the k6-3 does you no good whatsover for
> having "numerous multiple windows open."  Do  you really think that
> the extra peasly 128k helps with this?  Not.

I indeed thinks he's right. Just built a K6-III 450 system for a friend, and
I must say it responds quicker and "feels" faster overall compared to my
PIII at 504. That is, of course, in non-FPU intensive apps.

--
Jimmy Nilzohn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: USB Speakers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:22:55 -0700

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:56:27 -0400, Eric Fierke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Actually, as far as I know, it's not quite the same as a winmodem.  There

        Some device types are standardized. This allows one driver to
        function with more than one device much like a standard modem
        and serial port. However, some vendors insist on not following
        such standards. Also, some were not developed for political
        reasons (no standard for usb-serial adaptors).

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "JohnnyM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux.xxx,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: E-tech bullet 56K PCI modem
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:39:07 +0200

Henk Toorman heeft geschreven in bericht
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>It is possible to use the E-tech bullet 56k PCI modem in Linux?

Nee Henk, thats a "winmodem"

John Meeuwsen

------------------------------

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: How much space for each partition?
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:54:18 -0700

>From what I heard, redhat and suse are the only ones that actually support
the promise 33 udma.  I don't like redhat, and I'm seriously considering
dumping Caldera Because of this problem.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: 9GB-IBM-harddisk blocks linux
Date: 8 Jul 1999 23:00:55 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 15:18:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I tried to install linux 2.2.5 on a IBM
>DNES309170W (9GB) with adaptec 3940U (bips V.1.24)
>but it hangs. Mounting the disk from a
>working linux installation shows (after some
>read/write accesses) the same result.
>Are there limitations for the size with the
>current drivers or is this a bios problem?

Check your cabling and/or termination.  Did this drive/controller/cabling
work under another operating system?  You may wish to ensure the firmware
on the _drive_ and the controller is current as well.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:38:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware David T. Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
: Anthony Hill ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: : On 6 Jul 1999 05:38:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato
: : Yao) wrote:
: : >>not MY benchmark results.  Where are YOURS?  Couldn't find any eh?  That
: : >>poor look up ability of yours I suppose...
: : >
: : >You are the one claiming a Dual Celeron setup (using 333s) can be faster
: : >than a K6-III 450 on LInux.   The Burden of Proof is on you.

: :     Agreed, the dual Celeron route is more expansive (the dual
: : slot 1 motherboard adds an absolute minimum of $50 over the price of
: : most super7 boards, plus another $30 for the two slotkets, plus the
: : cost of two Celerons), and in most situations on a P6 architechture,
: : you'll be lucky to see more then 50% increase in performance (there
: : are some obvious exceptions to this rule of course).  At best you
: : could expect a dual-Celeron 333 to match the performance of a K6-III
: : 450 under most Linux applications, and that's only when applications
: : are able to take advantage of the two processors.  As some others have
: : pointed out, compiling the kernel under Linux is one such situation.

: Dual Celeron's don't have to be so expensive. As I mentioned in the other
: thread in my ongoing Dual Celeron project,  an Abit BP6 board cost $145,
: and a pair of 366 MHZ PPGA Celerons cost me $121.

locally (non-mailorder) I got a bp6 for $130 and 433 370-style chips
for $129 ea.  very cost-effective, I think.

: So the cost of MB + 2 CPU
: was $266 + shipping/tax/etc.  That's really not too much to pay for a CPU +
: MB combination, IMO.

indeed.  I paid $289 for JUST the asus p2bd.  bare board - nothing on it!

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Czouch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netzero on Linux
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:00:14 GMT

> > Correct. However, it is a Java app, packaged in a Windows
executable. There
> > should be no problem running it on Linux, once it has been ripped
out of its
> > Windows outer shell. Someone should start an email campaign to get
these
> > guys to release a Linux version... Can you imagine- a $200 box,
running
> > Linux, with FREE net access? I think that could capture a large
segment of
> > the market, the one that is still not online.

> The problem is that netzero's buisness model depends on them being
able to keep
> that applet running, and constantly displayed on the screen...
>
> They cant do that with linux.... so there is no real motivation to get
it done
> (short of a specialized distibution that does not allow switching to a
command
> line virtual terminal....)

Hello, folks.

As a proud and vocal member of the Linux community, I am glad to see
that there is growing support for the Linux port of NetZero.

As a NetZero employee, I can shed some light on the current state of
said release.

The truth is that Linux' virtual consoles do not pose that large a
problem.  Our Windows release includes a trigger that disconnects you if
you try to change your screen resolution while online.  The Linux
release could very easily include a similar trigger that disconnects if
you try to switch to a virtual console.

There are two major obstacles to the release of the NetZero Linux port:

1.  Linux is regarded as too small a market. *

* I realize this is a joke, and so do many of the software people here
(I'm not in software development).  However, please see #2.

2.  We've been stumbling so much lately over our Windows software, that
development of ports to other OSs have taken a back seat.

The truth is that we would love to capture the Linux market.  I'm
an employee and I still have to pay for access at home because I use
Linux exclusively.

A letter campaign would definitely help.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] is the
appropriate address to send your input.

Meanwhile, I should warn you that those who are using questionable
methods to connect to our system without the banner, even though it be
through the most superior operating system on the planet, are risking
the cancellation of their accounts, as well as fiscal retribution, as
stated in our Terms of Service.

Good luck!  Hopefully I'll see some of you on NetZero someday.

Czouch

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sharon Kedar)
Subject: Need Exabyte 8mm EXB-8505 Info
Date: 8 Jul 1999 23:24:18 GMT

I am about to install an Eabayte EXB-8505 on my PC (pentium 166) running both Li
nux 4.0 and Win95.
I have several questions.

1. Is EXB-8505 compatible with Linux 4.0?

2. What SCSI card can I use with Linux 4.0 and EXB 8505?

3. Is it going to work with my win95 as well or cause problems?

4. This is the only SCSI device in the chain.  What do I need to know about the
terminator?

Many thanks

Sharon Kedar

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Felmey)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:41:05 GMT

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:04:25 -0700, "TURBO1010"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

>Help.  Finally got Linux installed again, my computer.  I have a Tyan 1564/D
>256 megs of ram.  Adaptec 2940U2W, with an IBM 9.1 gig LVD drive.  The
>install went smooth, was able to recompile the kernel, and enable smp
>support.  So I decide to throw in a Promise UDMA controller, that went
>pretty good too.  The card was detected with no problems.  I added 2 more
>ide hard drives, connected to the controller, was able to fdisk them, and
>format them in linux.  Edited fstab, and moved /home and /usr over to the
>new drives.  Cool, everything is working perfect.  I decide to IP
>masquerade, and so I rebuild the kernel.  That went smooth, no problems.  I
>run Lilo, now that the new drives are mounted, and it complains that
>/dev/sda1 is not the first drive, but it still installs on sda1.  I go to
>reboot, and get LI.  That's all that I get.  I can't boot back in.  I try
>the lisa disk, type in boot root=/dev/sda1 and it appears to start, but it
>throws me right back into installing Caldera.  It wont let me boot.  I tried
>the install/boot disk, with the same parameters, boot root=/dev/sda1 and get
>the same thing, throws me right back to the install.  Tried booting from CD
>with the same parameters, and I get the same error message.  I reboot and
>get LI.  Anyone know what I need to do to get back into my system, without
>reinstalling the software?  I figure if I can get in there, and umount the
>other drives, then I could run lilo, and configure my system.

I think what you're seeing is LILO installed mbr on hda. Check your
BIOS settings (possibly Promise card settings as well), make sure
they're set to SCSI boot. I'll bet what's happening is that the BIOS
is pointing to hda as mbr, and since hda is probably >1024, LILO is
coughing.
--
Brad Felmey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: $299 linux pc hardware questions
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:23:42 GMT

Hey All,

www.buypogo.com

I'm starting a company called BuyPogo.Com which
will be selling $299 and $599 Linux PC's. Can you
all check out the hardware we're using and let me
know if it's a good value for the price?
On our $299 machine, we're using a Cyrix M2 300mhz
chip (probably will start using a 333mhz chip
before we launch our business) with 64mb ram.
On our $599, we use intel's Celeron PPGA 400mhz
cpu with 96 mb ram.

please check out our web site to see if you guys
like the tone and humor we have on there. The
address is www.buypogo.com
We're a bunch of college students that want to put
a friendly face on Linux and create an alternative
to VA Research, Penguin Computing. They all have
boring web sites.

Hey, send me an email with your suggestions of how
we can make our hardware run better!

Tim Lee

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: Diamond Fire GL 1000 PRO
Date: 8 Jul 1999 23:04:11 GMT

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 01:06:01 +0400, Alex Korshunov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Linux RedHat 5.0
>Windows X not support my video cards. Help me, plz!

Upgrade your XFree86 or RedHat version...  it's supported in newer
versions.

From: "Jonathan del Strother" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Resizing partitions on the fly?
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 01:02:31 +0100

Hiya....
OK...after about a week of solid fixing, figuring out & frustation, I have a
reasonably working Mandrake 6 Linux box......
BUT...I tried to install something else - no space left on the /usr
drive...After a lot of figuring (why is it so damn hard to find how much
free space you have in linux?) I discovered that my root partition has 250
MB odd free.....AAAAAAAAAARGH

OK, so a bit of short sighted / newbie - ness on my part, but do I really
have to do the entire thing from scratch. or are there any utilities to
resize the 2 partitions on the fly?  Are there any other solutions -
spreading the /usr dir over the 2 partitions??

I have win98 on 1 hard disk, & linux on the other, in 3 partitions (root,
usr, & swap)

Any ideas, comment, suggestions?

Cheers
Jonathan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Terminal Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: Bill Hase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aic7xxx and 2930
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 00:07:36 GMT

==================================

From: "Jeffrey Knox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: LILO and append to Detect SCSI controller at boot
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 18:03:23 -0500

Hello:

I install the Linux-Mandrake 6.0 version 2 weeks ago. At the time I didn't
have a SCSI controller. I purchase one the other day, an Adaptec 1520B, I
found out that my kernal will not detect it during the boot. I can install
the module manually from a command line with

insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,10,7,1     it detects it,  loads and works
fine...Only have tape drive hooked up.

According to the How To's I found on the install cd, I should be able to
over-ride the settings so my scsi adapter will be detected at bootup by
adding an append command to /etc/lilo.conf. The the sequence I used to do
this is as follows

mkinitrd  /boot/initrd-2.2.9-27mdk.img initrd-2.2.9-27mdk
append="aha152x=0x140,10,7,1"     is added to the file /etc/lilo.conf and
saved
/sbin/lilo
shutdown -r now

When the system reboots it still says SCSI : 0 Hosts

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Jeffrey

From: Dave Howland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to find video monitor hsync and vsync info?
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:28:39 -0400

On 8 Jul 1999, Myriam Abramson wrote:

> I have a very very old monitor (8 yrs?) and I can't find the manual
> anywhere.  How do I get the necessary info to configure X?

>                                                myriam

guess :)

dave

====================================
RC5 - Hey, 400 KKey/sec isn't a heck
      of a lot... unless you muliply
      that by 100,000...

      http://www.distributed.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bud (the original))
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 00:16:11 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:32:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (chrisv) wrote:

:Nonsense.  The extra cache of the k6-3 does you no good whatsover for
:having "numerous multiple windows open."  Do  you really think that
:the extra peasly 128k helps with this?  Not.

The extra cache does LOTS for performance with multiple programs
running, and the K6-3 has 256K, not 128K.

TO reply via e-mail, change the I in the address to an A.
CA antispam laws went into effect Jan 1, 1999.
Violators may be liable for both fines AND jail time for spamming this account.

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:02:04 -0700

This still doesn't explain why I can't boot in using the install disk, I
should be able to boot using boot root=/dev/sda1 but instead it throws me
back into the install.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...