Linux-Hardware Digest #714, Volume #10            Fri, 9 Jul 99 11:13:23 EDT

Contents:
  USR Sporster voicie 33.6 internal ????? ("such ")
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Andrzej Popowski)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Andrzej Popowski)
  Re: No DMA with ALI IDE chipset (Asus P5A) (Bernat)
  Re: Sound Blaster PCI 128 ("Tim Izod")
  Re: Onboard ATI Mach64 (fried) and PCI Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16MB (Volker Tanner)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Justin The Cynical)
  Re: CPU Question (Justin The Cynical)
  problem with swap (Alexander Gerlach)
  Re: Fibre channel (Peter Herttrich)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (L.Angel)
  Re: WD 18 GB Expert losing settings
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (L.Angel)
  Re: Slow modem! (llornkcor)
  Tekram DC-390F SCSI Card ? (Glenn Turnbull)
  "sendmail" attachment question ("Lee Tat (IS)")
  Re: SCSI controller/device advice (Chris)
  Re: Need to Build Low-Cost Linux Box ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (chrisv)
  Re: Onboard ATI Mach64 (fried) and PCI Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16MB ("R.K.Aa")
  uninstall sane 0.73 (Holger Dahm)
  Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC (Eric Fierke)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (chrisv)
  Re: LI (Gregory)

From: "such " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USR Sporster voicie 33.6 internal ?????
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:20:49 +0200

Hi
I'm trying to install my 33,6 baud internal modem under linux and it doesn't
work
It's not a winmodem , it's a sporster voice 33,6 internal
HELP PLEASE
how can I make it work ???
thank you

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrzej Popowski)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:26:15 GMT

9 Jul 1999 05:09:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen M. Caplan)
wrote:

>> CPUs are synchronous,
>
>Maybe we're running off a different definition of "synchronous".  From your
>description, the bus speeds are synchronous not the CPU speeds (since the
>multipliers are different).

For each 11 CPU clock periods of Celeron550, Celeron450 has 9 periods.
Different speed but synchronius operation :-)

>In any case, I'm quite impressed (and surprised) that these combinations work.
>I'd be interested to see how your benchmarks results differ when reversing the
>order of the CPUs.   (ie, with your Celeron 550 + PII 350, switch the CPU
>sockets to see if the threads are still allocated the same).

I didn't think about this. I will try when I have some free time.
Onother interesting thing is which CPU will boot as primary. I thing
it will be the faster one.

Pozdrowienia,

Andrzej Popowski

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrzej Popowski)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:26:17 GMT

Thu, 08 Jul 1999 22:39:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Hill) wrote:

>       It's interesting to note that the dual PII 350MHz chips were
>faster then the Celeron 450+PII 350.  I wonder if this is caused by
>the simple fact that PIIs work better in multiprocessing systems, or
>because the running SMP systems with asynchronous processors causes
>other problems.   My guess would be the latter.

I think that Linux scheduler is not optimal at dividing tasks between
different CPUs. I made also some estimation of one CPU "power" in
single and dual setup:

P2 350          1.0     reference
Cel. 450                1.2
Cel. 550                1.3
P2 350 dual     0.8
Cel. 450 dual   0.7
Cel. 550 dual   1.0

You can see, that Celeron 450 is rather weak at dual setup, but
Celeron 550 works well in both setups.

Andrzej Popowski

------------------------------

From: Bernat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No DMA with ALI IDE chipset (Asus P5A)
Date: 9 Jul 1999 08:48:45 GMT

Hi,

Try this: http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma
The patches are beta and not always work: good luck.

Frank Paehlke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

> are there any kernel patches which enable busmaster DMA with the ALI
> (Aladdin) M5229 chipset? On my system (K6-2/400, 128 MB RAM, Asus P5A,
> IBM DTTA 10GB), disk access from Linux is terribly slow, which causes
> very long startup times for e.g. KDE or Netscape.

> On startup, the kernel reports something like the following, though DMA
> is definitely enabled in the BIOS setup:

> PCI-IDE: simplex device: DMA disabled
> PCI-IDE: ide0: Bus-Master  DMA disabled (BIOS)
> PCI-IDE: simplex device: DMA disabled
> PCI-IDE: ide1: Bus-Master  DMA disabled (BIOS)

> Any pointers to source code or any workarounds are welcome

> Bye,
> Frank

Bernat Ginard
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tim Izod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster PCI 128
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:06:34 +0100

Benjamin Black wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Ward wrote:
>> I have an SBPCI64 that I only got to work when I upgraded
>> the kernel from 2.0.34 to 2.2.5-15 (RH 5.1 -> 6.0).  I'm not sure if
>> the 64 and the 128 have similar chips, but the module I successfully
>> used was the es1370 module.  I think this module or the es1371
>> should get you going.
>
>Alternatively, if you don't feel like upgrading your kernel, opensound
>supports the SB128 PCI:  www.opensound.com

    I'm using the ALSA driver (www.alsa.org I think- try a search for ALSA
on Freshmeat.). They're free, technically superior to the OSS drivers IMHO
and extremely stable. AFAIK they're due to go into the 2.3.x kernel tree
when their version hits 1.0.x
    I found the 2.2.x kernel drivers fine, but less fun to play with ;)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Volker Tanner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Onboard ATI Mach64 (fried) and PCI Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16MB
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:35:47 GMT

On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 07:30:56 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was wondering if I have to do anything special to make linux recognize

>the new video card, and not to default to the onboard adapter.

Usually it should be disabled once you plug the new card in. I'd say
the BIOS does that for you. So Linux won't see the old card at all.

>Also, do I have to do anything special to set up X, besides choose a new

>server to run it on? I've upgraded to XFree86 3.3.3.1 and downloaded the

>drivers for the card from nVidia.
no.
Volker

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin The Cynical)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 9 Jul 1999 10:35:18 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 02:25:03 GMT, L.Angel <a?n?g?e?l?@lovergirl-DOT.com> wrote:
->>Sure.  I can't wait for the flood of "my TNT2 locks-up with my new K7
->>machine" messages.....    8)
->Probably with an error "Processor too fast for graphics card." :P

        Would that be similar to the Win95 crashes with the AMD K6-350 and
higher?  :-)

--
In StarTrek TNG, ever notice that the characters are always tugging at their
shirts?  In the future, it seems that we will travel at light speed, become the

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin The Cynical)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general
Subject: Re: CPU Question
Date: 9 Jul 1999 10:35:19 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 03:54:36 GMT, The 2-Belo
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
->Joceli Mayer wrote:
->
->>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
->>
->>> I am in the market for a new computer and my first priority is to get Linux
->>> running on it, but I need to know some things about a CPU.  I have recently
->>> been looking at an Intel Celeron processor, and I was wondering if Linux
->>> is compatible with this processor, and some of the pitfalls, if any, I may
->>> come across if I go with the Celeron.
->>>
->>> ------------------  Posted via SearchLinux  ------------------
->>>                   http://www.searchlinux.com
->>
->>It works. Also  check http://www.amd.com for an AMD K6-3 or K6-2, cheaper and
->>faster than celeron. Also there is the new K7 chip, they rule all intel chips
->>in a performance-price tradeoff, so far ...
->
->A Celeron is essentially a Pentium without the on-board cache memory. The
->structure of the chip itself is no different.

        Well, kind of...  A Celeron (aka Celery) is a Pentium 2 with the SMP
function disabled and either no cache (the original Celeries) or 128K of cache
(Celery A series) that runs at the full speed of the CPU (vs about half speed
of the Pentium 2).

        And yes, they work just fine.  :-)  I've got a Celery 300A overclocked
to 450 (100 Mhz front side bus), and it's rock solid.

From: Alexander Gerlach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with swap
Date: 9 Jul 1999 11:29:00 GMT

We have some very strange problem with our PII 350 MHz running Linux
Kernel 2.0.36. We constantly get the error messages

kernel : Hm... Trying to use unallocated swap space (00000800)
kernel : swap_free : swap space map null (00000800)
kernel : swap_duplicate : trying to duplicate unused page, entry 0000800

from klogd. The swap space is a 100 MB partition on /dev/hda and the hard
disc is a new 6.4 GB EIDE drive from Maxtor. Besides this strange error
messages this system crashed several times without any obvious reason.

Thanks you for your help

--
                                        _/_/_/_/   _/    _/   _/    _/
   Alexander Gerlach                   _/         _/    _/   _/   _/

------------------------------

From: Peter Herttrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fibre channel
Date: 9 Jul 1999 12:36:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,

>       While trying to get the best deal on a new hard drive, I had the
> mistake of buying a very nice fibre channel one (From an auction site).
> To be honest, I thought the term "fibre channel" was some marketing
> gimmick and that it would work with the normal EIDE protocol. I soon
> discovered that I was wrong. This seems to be a very good protocol that
> linux supports. I am only missing the controller card. If anyone know
> really anything about this protocol, it's use in linux, as well as a
> place to get a <100$ controller, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

like i know adaptec has some fibre-controllers.
but veeeeeeeeeeeeeery expensive.
and i don't believe, that there is a driver for this
type of controller.

try to get rid of this hd.

          Microsoft has been doing a really bad job on their OS.
                              Linus Torvalds

From: a?n?g?e?l?@lovergirl-DOT.com (L.Angel)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:28:54 GMT

>although that chip is something like 3 years old now!  Guess it just
>goes to show how far x86 chips still trail some other designs.
  Bottomline though, Athlon's still faster than ANYTHING Intel could
offer when it debuts for retail sales. After all, even if they could
pull out a P3 Xeon 600 or even a 650 with a SpecFp of 16.7(giving them
sheer linear increment) at the same time, it still won't beat a K7-550
with 20.1 :P
  And most of us aren't really in the market for nonx86 machines :P

>comperable.  ISSE has more instructions and a bit more flexibility,
But 3DNow! supposed to have added instructions in the K7 isn't it? :P

For some reason, K7 still sounds better than Athlon... :P

The little lost angel & her featherhead's 2 cents of dreaminess. :)
Email : Figure out what to remove, I'm getting tired of spam

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WD 18 GB Expert losing settings
Date: 9 Jul 1999 12:30:55 GMT

Don't know if this might help or not. But some time ago I had a similar
problem (hd malfunctioning and linux giving me irq timeouts). Turned out it
was my PSU giving only +10.5V instead of +12V. After replacing this PSU
everything worked ok again.

Let me know if this helped, ok?

regz,

Dirk

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: a?n?g?e?l?@lovergirl-DOT.com (L.Angel)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:33:34 GMT

>->Probably with an error "Processor too fast for graphics card." :P
>       Would that be similar to the Win95 crashes with the AMD K6-350 and
>higher?  :-)
yesh :PppPpPp
  Wouldn't that juz be lovely to see? :P But of cosh, it's not likely
to happen since I'm pretty sure they WILL make sure that the two most
popular gfx cards WILL work flawlessly with the proper drivers
optimization on debut.
  I'm sure AMD knows very well they cannot afford any mistakes be it
drivers, hardware compatibility or supply this time. It's do or die.
By the way they're acting and what little figures we have, I'm putting
my bet on them. Too bad they don't sell AMD shares here :P

From: llornkcor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Slow modem!
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 06:35:19 -0600

the only thing in my /etc/ppp/options file is
lock

"Paul & Valerie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a USR Sportster 56k internal modem.  It connects at 46600 in Wind=
ows,
>but will only connect at 14.4 in Linux- Red Hat 6 and formerly with 5.2.
>All the settings are correct and the speed is set on the highest option.
>I've tried the others also.  I've tried different dialers.  Also, I chec=
ked
>the /etc/ppp/option and it was completely empty.  If anyone could help, =
it
>would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks-  Paul

--=20
llornkcor rocknroll=0D
SpiritShip MultiMedia Recording Studio=0D
www.llornkcor.com=0D
=09=09=09        (0 0)=0D
+=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D---=
-oOO--(_)--OOo----=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D+=0D
   __   _=0D
  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __    =0D
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  =0D
/____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\=0D
    The choice of a GNU generation...=0D

------------------------------

From: Glenn Turnbull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tekram DC-390F SCSI Card ?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:17:44 +0200

Anyone using the Tekram DC-390F SCSI card ?.

It appears supported on most major operating systems and uses the
Symbios Logic 53C875 chip.

Glenn

------------------------------

From: "Lee Tat (IS)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: "sendmail" attachment question
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 21:03:51 +0800

Hi, could any one please help me to find out how to use Linux sendmail
command to attach a file (of any format) to a outgoing mail ?  I am using
it in a cgi script.  Thank you very much.

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI controller/device advice
Date: 9 Jul 1999 13:30:53 GMT

Phil Brutsche wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Dave wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the advice! I've also heard a _lot_ of people recommending
the
> > IBM drives.

I'll recommend them, too. I'm planning on purchasing the 9.1GB 9LP...

> > I'm still trying to decide between the Quantum Atlas III drive and the
IBM
> > Ultrastar 9ES though. The Ultrastar looks excellent, and about the same
> > price as the Quantum drives. However it only has a 512KB buffer, as
> > opposed to the Quantum's 1MB. The IBM drives with 1MB (such as the 9LP)
> > appear to be about $200 more.
> >
> > Is the extra 512KB buffer worth it to go Quantum for the price? Or is
the
> > performance increase negligible?

Actually, if you head over to http://www.storagereview.com they did a
comparison review of two almost identical IDE drives (make/manuf. escapes
me) from the same manufacturer, where the only thing different was an
increased cache.

The performance did not change ONE BIT.

I'm going to have to poke around to see if the 9ES would be sufficient...
The storagereview site also allows you to do lots of side by side
comparisons of drives they've reviewed. It's a fun thing to do.

ttfn.

chris.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need to Build Low-Cost Linux Box
Date: 09 Jul 1999 09:39:18 -0400

www.thelinuxstore.com,
www.microshack.com
both have low cost LINUX stuff, I can't comment on quality of service...
I'm sure there are others, both these sites have linux systems that
start for less than $500 (no display)
--
Tom Evans

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (chrisv)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 13:47:10 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 18:48:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael) wrote:

>You really don't know what your talking about.  How fast is your
>celeron without that peasly 128 cache that Intel grafed onto the
>cacheless one?  Is your Celeron a hotrod without that cache?

The fact that you would say this proves you to be clueless.  Have you
ever heard of diminishing returns?  Go to school, and come bach when
you have a clue.

>Go study some more and stop playing games on your voodoo.

Idiot.  You know nothing.

------------------------------

From: "R.K.Aa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 16:32:02 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I fried my onboard ATI Mach64 by using the default settings for Xfree86. So
> I purchased a PCI Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16MB card.
>
> I was wondering if I have to do anything special to make linux recognize
> the new video card, and not to default to the onboard adapter.

I saw you had a hint about it being automatically disabled by the BIOS.
It may also be that this is a setting you have to change yourself in
the BIOS setup menus. And if your BIOS bluntly refuse to cooperate:
It's quite common that you have to set some dipswitch on the mainboard
itself to force it to disable an onboard graphics "card".
Consule the mainboard manual to find where this is located and what
pins disable it.

> Also, do I have to do anything special to set up X, besides choose a new
> server to run it on? I've upgraded to XFree86 3.3.3.1 and downloaded the
> drivers for the card from nVidia.

Hmm. The nVidia Xfree version is just one of several downloads you'll
want to make at that site to get the 3D engine of a RIVA to work.
They have an extensive howto describing what to download and how to
install.

K.

------------------------------

From: Holger Dahm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: uninstall sane 0.73
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:43:36 +0200

hello,

i decided on update my sane. is there a way to uninstall sane 0.73 in a
proper way?

greetings, dahm

------------------------------

From: Eric Fierke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:42:42 -0400

Not to mention the fact that intel currently owns and makes the strongarm
processors used in the netwinder.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (chrisv)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 13:54:34 GMT

On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 02:21:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael) wrote:

>So you are saying that a 128K second level cache holds windows
>operating system code, outlook express, Lotus 123, Netscape,
>numerous background tray programs and never goes to main memory when
>you task switch....?

Idiot.  Do you know how to read and think?  Explain how you inferred
that from what he said.

The point is, that 128k vs 256k of L2 just doesn't make much
difference in real-world performance.  Data sets that won't fit into
128k usually won't fit into 256k, either.  Is that too difficult to
understand?

>So based on your qualifications how much code can fit into these
>caches when multitasking and task context switching?  Does everything
>fit into the first 128K second level cache.

No, of course not.  And of course "everything" would not fit in 256k
second level cache, either.

------------------------------

From: Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: LI
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 08:16:55 -0600

Use:

lilo -U /dev/sda1

to uninstall.  Then try installing lilo on the MBR of /dev/sda.
change:
boot= to point to /dev/sda instead of sda1