Linux-Hardware Digest #714, Volume #12           Thu, 20 Apr 00 06:14:29 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Dump/Restore problem: multiple dumps per Travan 5 tape (Leonard Evens)
  Re: whats *your* ($hdparm -t) speed? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  CD-ROM not usable ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: FAT32 and LINUX? (D G)
  Printer ("Ian")
  Onboard Audio in Linux (C.A.M.)
  Re: Riva TNT2 display card ("Marius Andra")
  HP7200e soft ("Marius Andra")
  Re: HP7200e soft (Dances With Crows)
  Re: I am a reseller and need help (Nikola D Krgovic)
  Re: driver ata66 ("John McCubbin")
  Re: Onboard Audio in Linux (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Recommend PCI ATA66 card for Linux v2.2.14+? ("Bobby Hitt")
  hd? ("Robert L.")
  Re: Modem speed low: Olitec Self Memory 56K/V90 (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: scsi, eth0 irq conflict (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Intel EtherExpress causing networkload? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  a modem that works (dgarbarino)
  Re: Kernel messages (David Weis)
  Re: Web Camera ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Best printer for linux box? (John Hong)
  Re: Riva TNT2 display card ("Luke Olbrish")
  Re: sound irq conflict (Michael J Porter)
  Netscape Crashing Problems (Will Joyner)
  SCSI problem w/ CD-ROM & CD-RW ("Xavier Neys")
  SMP linux (Carl)
  newbie: turning off modem sound (Neil Blue)
  Re: newbie: turning off modem sound
  Re: IBM thinkpad 1421 (David Tan)
  Re: FAT32 and LINUX? (Robie Basak)
  Digital Video w/Linux ("Dheera Venkatraman")
  Matrox Rainbow Runner under Linux??? (Dave Smith)
  Tyan Tiger MB? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Dump/Restore problem: multiple dumps per Travan 5 tape
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:24:13 -0500

Adam Finkelstein wrote:

> Hello.
> I have an ide Colorado TR5 tape that I can happily back up one partition
> and restore it using:
> /sbin/dump 0af /dev/ht0 /dev/hda1
>
> On sun boxes I use a dump script to dump multiple partitions to 4mm tape
> using a shell script. I have to define block size density and length for
> the dump to be restorable.
>
> I wrote the following (commented lines) and cannot restore a specific
> partition using:
>
> /sbin/restore -s 2 -if /dev/ht0
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
> #/sbin/dump 0af /dev/nht0 /dev/hda1
> #/sbin/dump 0af /dev/nht0 /dev/hda2
> #/sbin/dump 0af /dev/nht0 /dev/hda3
> /sbin/dump 0absf 64 2300 /dev/nht0 /dev/hda1
> /sbin/dump 0absf 64 2300 /dev/nht0 /dev/hda2
> /sbin/dump 0absf 64 2300 /dev/nht0 /dev/hda3
> mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
> mt -f /dev/ht0 offline
>
> I thought maybe I'd need to provide (like the 4mm tape on sun boxes here)
> block size (64) but I cannot figure out the density and length of TR5
> Travan tape. Does anyone know what they are, and if provided as arguments
> to the above /sbin/dump in the above script, will they allow multiple dumps
> per tape and then restore specific partitions using the -s argument in
> restore.
>
> Thanks in advance, and upcoming too.
>
> Adam
> --
> Adam Finkelstein
> SOTAS, Inc.
> 301-258-8873 ext. 265  301-258-0059 (fax)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I haven't studied your specific question, but let me raise
another point.  I have the same drive, but I use tar to backup.
I've found the mt command cannot place me at the appropriate
tape archive for recovering something if I put multiple archives
on the same tape.  (The same thing happens on a Travan SCSI
tape drive we had.)  But if I do an
mt -f /dev/nht0 weof
between the archives, then I can position the tape using twice
the requisite number of skips.
Have you checked if the same thing happens for you?
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

Subject: Re: whats *your* ($hdparm -t) speed?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:04:30 GMT

According to Martin Høyer Kristiansen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> The benefit of UDMA 66 in current systems is very modest, because
> current controllers are limitid to one UDMA 66 device per controller.

Does this mean one *active* UDMA-66 device or one UDMA-66 device
period?  Are you allowed one UDMA-66 and one UDMA-33 device?
I haven't bothered to take the plunge to UDMA-66 quite yet...

Regardless of these restrictions, I would *never* put more than one
device on an IDE controller if speed were an issue, especially since
IDE controllers are so cheap (even the UDMA-66s nowdays)

> The point of higher bandwidth is that the controller would be able to
> saturate more devices, but because of the one device restriction on UDMA
> 66, performance are dominated by the slower device-interfaces.

Not entirely true.  7200 and 10K RPM drives will show better
throughput on UDMA-66 vs. UDMA-33 controllers in a single drive per
controller situation.  (or so I have read in several places.)

> SCSI beats the crap out of IDE if disks > 2 (maybe even 1)

A Ferrari will beat the crap out of a Hyundai, so what?  There is no
comparison here.

Dollar for dollar, IDE will buy you much more performance for your
money in all single user situations and most multi-user situations, up
to the performance limitations of IDE.

If I needed 40 gigs of storage for an enterprise database, you had
better believe I'd build it with four 9G U2W SCSI drives on two
controllers.  Even w/o hardware RAID, that would be US$1000-$1500.  If
I was just storing MP3s, I could get away fine with 1 5400 RPM 40G
drive.

On my desktop machine (dual P2-333, 66mhz bus) I can tell absolutely
no difference between a 7200RPM UDMA-33 drive and a 7200 RPM UW SCSI
drive.  YMMV.

-p.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CD-ROM not usable
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:59:31 GMT

I have two cd-rom's in my box.  cd-rom2 is a scsi and cd-rom1 is an ide
cd writer.  cd-rom2 (scsi) works fine in that any disk that is put in
can be used and viewed and all that.  However, cd-rom1 (writer) will
not recognize any cd's at all.  I know the cd-rom works as I have
tested it on other systems yet it does not seem to work in Mandrake
7.0.  Is this an issue with Mandrake 7.0 or is something mis-
configured.  It is a Mitsumi model.  Does anybody have any suggestions
on what I should check on change?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FAT32 and LINUX?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:06:51 -0700

Michael Meissner wrote:

> D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Laura Conrad wrote:
> > >
> > > When I started using LINUX in 1977, I was told that if I wanted to use
> > > linux and windows partitions on the same drive, I should use FAT16 for
> > > the windows partitions, rather than FAT32.  Is this still true?
> >
> > Not unless you want to run windows 3.1.
>
> Or if you want to run Windows NT 4.0 (which didn't get the FAT32 support).
> Presumably Windows 2000 supports Fat32.

You're right, although you can get FAT32 drivers for NT--maybe even for
free.  I don't think you will find them for win3.1.

--
DG
e-mail is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Printer
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:20:54 +0100

I get this error message when I try to install my printer software using
printools:-

An erro has occurred on usr/lib/rhs-printfilters/printerdb : no such file or
directory at usr/lib/libDrakX/printer.pm line 296

Can anyone help?
I'm using Mandrake 7.0.
cheers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.A.M.)
Subject: Onboard Audio in Linux
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:24:53 GMT

Hi!

Iīm totally new in Linux (SuSE 6.4 since yesterday), eveything works
well, but I have a problem with my sound device: Itīs an onboard sound
chip (Asus K7M mainboard), in windows sytem overview it says "VIA PCI
Audio Controler", so it seems it can be treated like a PCI sound-card.
But its impossible to find out the type of the chip (neither in the
manual nor on Asusīs homepage, so donīt have any idea what to change
in modules.conf.....
thanx for any help,

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Marius Andra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix
Subject: Re: Riva TNT2 display card
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:37:58 +0300

I have one and the TUX_AQFH game is running at about 0.5fps (frames per
second)

Althought the myth 2 demo (w/o 3d acceleration) was running at about 15 fph

My X version is 4.0

Marius
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://fr.ee/penguin

------------------------------

From: "Marius Andra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP7200e soft
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:44:49 +0300

I have a hp7200e cd-writer. I have installed all the drivers and everything
correctly. And now I want to burn some cd-s. But all the programs that I
have tried, don't recognize it. Including xcdroast. At startup, it says
something, that the sg module isn't loaded. I have tried loading it as a
module and compiling it into the kernel, but nothing works. And I'm still
not able to burn cd-s.  cdreckord --scanbus says, that there's a HP
CD-Writer 7200 on 0,0,0, so it detects it, but doesn't write to it. Where's
the problem?

--
Marius
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: HP7200e soft
Date: 19 Apr 2000 12:52:00 EDT

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:44:49 +0300, Marius Andra
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I have a hp7200e cd-writer. I have installed all the drivers and everything
>correctly. And now I want to burn some cd-s. But all the programs that I
>have tried, don't recognize it. Including xcdroast. At startup, it says
>something, that the sg module isn't loaded. I have tried loading it as a
>module and compiling it into the kernel, but nothing works. And I'm still
>not able to burn cd-s.  cdreckord --scanbus says, that there's a HP
>CD-Writer 7200 on 0,0,0, so it detects it, but doesn't write to it. Where's
>the problem?

Read the HOWTO:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

And search Deja for author "Dances with Crows", keyword "CD-R", and
newsgroup "comp.os.linux.hardware".  I explained what could've gone wrong
in this situation a week or so ago; don't want to type it all out again.
http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: Nikola D Krgovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: I am a reseller and need help
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:53:03 +0200

The Nice One wrote:

> Ok I am a computer reseller in Dunedin New Zealand but I need some
> help/feedback about a proposed system I am hoping to offer as a Linux box.
>
> My major barrier to doing this is that I know almost squat about linux(all
> distributions).
>
> What I need is for someone out there to check out this link here
> http://jcdcomputers.tripod.com/id62.htm
>
> if you just check out the hardware how does this sound for a system.
>
> For the price remember that a NZ$ is approx US50c

 Sorry if this is a little late, but here are my advices:

 - Do not uses SiS based graphics. you will find it very difficult to set up.
If you want advice use an Ati Mach 64 card. They are SO supported that you
can't beleive it. And if you aim for a higher market in graphics try nVidia
(for their cards you can download an optimized X server. I have one and i
works li a charm)

 - Use at least 64 MB of RAM. Linux (Unix in general) does not not utilize
much CPU power, but when it comes to memory it's a whole different story:
Memory IS Speed. Also mind that Unix uses the swap space optimally, so you
might connsidder a faast disk. (Unix, not NT is why they invented SCSI in the
first place)

 - Most important: allways go for reliability in hardware.

 My compliments for the effort. If you ever decide to sell more powerfull
machines just e-mail me, and I'll gladly give you a hand.

cu,
nk.

------------------------------

From: "John McCubbin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: driver ata66
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:52:57 -0500

I think that Abit has them on their website.   I just installed a bunch of
them for Win2K and I believe I saw them for Linux.  Hope I'm not wrong.

--

John A McCubbin
CCD/Astrophotography Website

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Onboard Audio in Linux
Date: 19 Apr 2000 12:55:55 EDT

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:24:53 GMT, C.A.M.
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Iīm totally new in Linux (SuSE 6.4 since yesterday), eveything works
>well, but I have a problem with my sound device: Itīs an onboard sound
>chip (Asus K7M mainboard), in windows sytem overview it says "VIA PCI
>Audio Controler", so it seems it can be treated like a PCI sound-card.
>But its impossible to find out the type of the chip (neither in the
>manual nor on Asusīs homepage, so donīt have any idea what to change
>in modules.conf.....

Chances are the sound chip is a VIA82C-something, then.  I think the right
thing to do would be to put the lines
  alias sound via82cxxx
  alias char-major-14 via82cxxx
in /etc/conf.modules.  SuSE by default should ship with that module
compiled and stuck in the right place.  HTH,

From: "Bobby Hitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommend PCI ATA66 card for Linux v2.2.14+?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:07:25 -0400

"fREDDieV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:O_7L4.48504$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> You will have to use kernel version 2.2.13 to enable your Promise Card.
The
> instructions for doing this can be found at
> www.uidaho.edu/~webb3172/ultra66.html

That's the worst website I've ever seen, with regard to readibility.

------------------------------

From: "Robert L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hd?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:19:31 GMT

if i buy a IDE to ISA card, what is the identifier of the drive i put in.
I'll try to make it clearer:

there's a ISA card that we can put 2 IDE connector ( i have 1 free slot )

If i use the motherboard IDE connector + the ISA IDE connector, what is the
hd?

primary IDE master = /dev/hda
primary IDE slave = /dev/hdb

primary ISA IDE master = /dev/hd? is it going to be /dev/hde?

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem speed low: Olitec Self Memory 56K/V90
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:26:29 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> My external Olitec Self Memory 2000 56K V.90 modem
> only connects at 26400, and occasionally at 28800 bps.

> Modem speed is set to 11520,

I suppose that you mean 115200?

> and the init string is AT&F&K3B24, as
> recommended by Olitec.

Doublecheck that one to make sure that you haven't locked the speed to a
slow speed. However, if that were the case you should probably always
get 28800 or 26400 bps.

> I have used setserial to change to "spd_hi" for /dev/ttyS0.   I

You should use spd_vhi instead, however this shouldn't affect the
connect speed.

> Any suggestions as to what settings to change,
> to get the 56K speed this modem is supposedly
> capable of

Are you really sure that your modem is capable of more than 28 kbps?
Are you really sure that your modem is v.90 and not k56flex?
Maybe the modem is only "v.90 ready" and needs an upgrade?
Are you sure that your ISP is capable of more than 28 kbps?
Yes, it could also be the phone lines which limits the speed, but it
would be a strange occasion that the limit is at 28 kbps.

Try to call some other modem pool. You could use some other ISP, you
don't need any account only for making the modem connect. If you get a
better connection you should change ISP or change modem pool.

If this doesn't help, try to find a good manual for your modem and try
to figure out what the information means that you get when you type

at&v

in a terminal program like minicom.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi, eth0 irq conflict
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:35:08 +0200

Jerry O'Brien wrote:
> I have an onboard Adaptec aic-7880 scsi and a 3com NIC in PCI slot 1.
> They always come up with the same IRQ from the bios.

Maybe it would help to place the NIC in another PCI slot.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress causing networkload?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:16:38 +0200

"H.J.W. van Os" wrote:
> The network throughput is ok until we shutdown the Linux machines.
> Somehow the network becomes unbearably slow.

Maybe you could find some clue with tcpdump.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: dgarbarino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a modem that works
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:59:58 GMT

hi,
i have to buy an external  modem to use under my mandrake 7.0, which
does work for sure?

------------------------------

From: David Weis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel messages
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:32:46 -0500

How do you know it's happening too often if you don't know what it means
:-) You are probably running redhat 6.x and have magicdev looking at your
scsi cdrom drive. It's nothing to worry about. If you absolutely need to
get rid of it, run
rpm --erase --nodeps magicdev
as root. That may break other things, but your messages will stop.
BTW: Crossposts trimmed

dave

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | Voice 515-278-0133 Ext 231
                          | http://www.perfectionlearning.com/
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the Fifth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment and I can't say anything.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Web Camera
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:50:00 GMT

Hi Dave,

You should take a look at Axis Communications AXIS 2100.
It's a self contained web camera that can upload pictures to your server
to be publiched on the web or you can just leave an url to the camera.

Look here:
http://www.axis.com/products/camera_servers/

/bjarne

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: Best printer for linux box?
Date: 19 Apr 2000 19:39:38 GMT

Rod Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: For instance, it's almost impossible to find an IBM computer with OS/2
: pre-installed.

        Almost?  It practically is unless it is unless it is geared towards
the server market.  IBM = No end users wanted.  Heck, they don't even
bother making their Aptiva's anymore...they're really Acer clones with
the IBM badge on them.

------------------------------

From: "Luke Olbrish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:36:42 -0400

> I plan to buy Creative Labs'  Riva TNT2 display card for my
> P3 machine.  I plan to run both win98 and linux.  However,
> I am worried that Creative Labs' Riva TNT2 display card is
> supported in linux and I just only find that NVIDIA Riva TNT2
> is supported.  Would anyone please help ? Thanks a lot

I have the TNT2 running 3.6 and 4. I am certainly no expert, but the
hardest part about getting the TNT2 to work with 4.0, is I had to go
into XF86Config and modify some screen settings myself.  This was on a
diamond TNT2 card, but it really shouldnt matter, they should all work.

If you would like, I can email you the XF86Config for 4.0.

--
Luke Olbrish
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael J Porter)
Subject: Re: sound irq conflict
Date: 19 Apr 2000 15:39:32 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
root  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
=>on bootup it skips loading my sound card because of an irq conflict. the
=>settings in modules.conf say it should go on irq 10 dma 3, but in

What kernel are you using?  Was the kernel compiled with ISA PNP?
If so, remove the dma and irq settings in /etc/modules.conf and
reload the modules.

Mike

=>windows it say to load on irq 5 dma 1. I tried changing these variables
=>in modules.conf and rebooting, but no luck. Where else / what else do i
=>need to change?
=>
=>Its a Creative Vibra16X card running on openlinux 2.4.
=>
=>thanks.
=>

--
===
Mike Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Will Joyner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Netscape Crashing Problems
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:45:14 -0400

I am having problems with netscape crashing.  Several times when a java
based website is running and/or opened when another netscape window is
opened, netscape freezezs.  I have waited for the page to load, but
after 5 minutes I am forced to kill the application.

Then startign yesterday it started doing that to pages that don't have
any java apps on them.  Is there a way I can prevent netscape from
crashing ?

Thanks
Will Joyner

From: "Xavier Neys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI problem w/ CD-ROM & CD-RW
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:53:00 +0200

I have the following problem:
I have an AHA-1520A scsi adapter (scsi id 7) and 3 devices:
A is a 2x Chinon CD-ROM (scsi id 1)
B is a 16x TEAC CD-ROM (scsi id 2)
W is a Yamaha 4416 CD-RW (scsi id 4)
I use Mandrake 7.0 distro

I cannot get Linux to detect W if either A or B are connected but W is
detected if it is the only device on the SCSI bus. A & B are both detected
with or without W. W is not listed during the boot process when linux checks
the devices attached to the scsi adapter and 'cdrecord -scanbus' does not
find anything more.
I used the line 'aha152x=0x140,10,7,1'
I tried all sorts of combination, like putting the adapter in the middle of
the scsi bus with B & W at both ends. Terminators and other jumpers have
been checked thoroughly and then changed in all thinkable combinations.
Strangely all these worked under Window$ 95
I could upgrade to a AHA-2904CD scsi adapter but how do I know if it will
solve this problem?

All help greatly appreciated,
Xavier.

------------------------------

From: Carl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMP linux
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:03:22 -0500

Help,

I have a Tyan S1832DL Motherboard (recently flashed the BIOS too with
Tyans 2.2.0b) with 2 PIII 600's 256MB RAM and an adaptec 2930U2 SCSI
card with a 9.1 Western Digital 10,000RPM drive. The LV 10k RPM drive is
on the Ultra2 interface and the SCSI CDROM is on the regular Ultra Wide
interface.  I have tried to install RedHat 6.1 on the system several
times. APM is diabled as well as USB support in the BIOS.  The system
simply turns off during the install. I need to unplug the cord from the
case, I hear a faint 'tink' sound after 3-5 seconds, then I am able to
plug the cord back in to the power supply, and can then try again to
install. The system works fine with 1 processor. I have tried removing
the SCSI 2930U2 card and using an IDE drive with the same result for 2
processors.
Tyan has no answer for this strange problem.
I have also build a custom MP kernel, with 1 processor, powered down and
inserted the other CPU, with the same result - a power off which leads
to drive corruption. Any ideas please ?

Thank you all.

------------------------------

Subject: newbie: turning off modem sound
From: Neil Blue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:08:27 -0700

Hello,

I have my ppp connection setup to connect on boot and redial,
and the sound is rather anoying. Please could someone tell me
how I can turn it off.

Thank you

Neil Blue

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: newbie: turning off modem sound
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:13:36 GMT

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:08:27 -0700, Neil Blue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have my ppp connection setup to connect on boot and redial,
>and the sound is rather anoying. Please could someone tell me
>how I can turn it off.

Put atm0 in the modem's init script.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Tan)
Subject: Re: IBM thinkpad 1421
Date: 19 Apr 2000 20:25:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Helpdeks User  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Heeellllpppp...
>       I have an IBM thinkpad 1421 and have installed Red Hat Linux 6.1 onto. It has
>detected the correct video card, but it isn't allowing me to select the monitor.
>It is an 800x600 14" display. No matter weather I chose Laptop 800x600 8bit
>color ir something else, it is not configuring X to display on the monitor. Does
>anyone have any idea's???

I also have a 14XX (can't remember which, might be a 1421).  I could not get
Xconfigurator to install X correctly either and had to use XF86Setup.  I had
to guess at some of the monitor information (since no one these days provides
any real documentation): undoubtedly my setup is not optimized (I was conservative
on the guessing) but X works fine.

Dave Tan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robie Basak)
Date: 19 Apr 2000 20:36:45 GMT

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:57:59 -0400, The Wogster said:

>Mark Bratcher wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>>> 1977?  Wow!  I didn't think Linux was out then :-)

(!) AFAIK, it wasn't.

From: "Dheera Venkatraman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Digital Video w/Linux
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:43:51 GMT

Hi,
Can I use my C.U.C. US camera with Linux? It's a video camera that plugs
into the USB port. I only have Windows drivers, but I would like it to work
with linux also.

Thanks,
Dheera Venkatraman

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux
Subject: Matrox Rainbow Runner under Linux???
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:00:36 GMT

Hiya,

I've just been given an old Matrox Mystique with Rainbow Runner video
in/out daughter-board.  I'd like to but it into my second computer,
which is running RedHat Linux.  I think I've found an X Server for the
Mystique, but are there any drivers or software for running the
Rainbox Runner under Linux?  I haven't found any myself yet, and I
don't want the card to be sat in my machine doing nothing.  It'd be
dead useful.

Cheers,
--Dave
--
NOTE: False email address.  Delete text after "bigfoot.com" when replying.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Tyan Tiger MB?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:06:19 GMT

Has anybody used this board under linux?[S1834 Tiger]  Any problems?

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/s1834.html

        Thanks

        Nick
--
Nick Zentena
"The Linux issue," Wladawsky-Berger explained, "is whether this is a