Linux-Hardware Digest #821, Volume #10           Thu, 22 Jul 99 13:13:32 EDT

Contents:
  Recognising an AZtech 268-01A CDROM problem (jmalone)
  Re: RH/Mandrake6.0,Compaq Proliant 1000, RAID problem ("Geoff")
  Re: CD-RW YAMAHA 4416S Timeout/RH6 Mand.6 (philipp scherer)
  Re: Why Build Box? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  bigpicture video capture card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HP 1100 laser printer ("Jake_Paws")
  Re: Why Build Box? (Mike Frisch)
  ISDN TA ISA card woes (Steven Hill)
  HELP REQD: Large IDE drive (Fujitsu MPC3102AT 10.24 GB) (jan grant)
  Re: HP 1100 laser printer (Frank Miles)
  Re: Cheap /Linux/ Box (Re: Why Build Box?) (Andrew Comech)
  can't initialize my modems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cheap personal laser for Linux (Mike Hall)
  Re: Looking For 66MHz PCI Platform. ("Rack Bob")
  FS: ISA Adaptec SCSI and 3Com Ethernet (Mike Hall)
  "Not found any active partition" (Ian Briggs)
  Re: Small Linux (x86) needed, similar to NetWinder ("Martin Thompson")
  X ("Mark V.")
  LS120 with SCSI emulation (Jake Williams)
  Re: SCSI Tape setup under RH 4.2 (Biltmore) ("Jürgen Pfann")
  ProStar 8250 15" LCD XF86Config problems (Michael L Lockhart)
  Re: CD-RW YAMAHA 4416S Timeout/RH6 Mand.6 ("LOF")
  Re: S3 ViRGE DX/GX PCI (375/385) Modeline (Alan Liu)

From: jmalone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Recognising an AZtech 268-01A CDROM problem
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:50:49 +1000

I've got an old 486 that I'm trying to set up as a test Linux Pro
system.  During the installation I select the Aztech CD option but the
installation program doesn't find the CDROM.   Looking at the status
screen I see the message

    I/O port (320) already used

This is a puzzle until I looked up further and saw this:

    eth0:  seeq8005 found at 0x320, ff ff ff ff ff ff

in the section titled   >>>>Kernel: initializing net devices.

I don't have a network card and don't know what to do from here.
Any help would be appreciated.

John

------------------------------

From: "Geoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH/Mandrake6.0,Compaq Proliant 1000, RAID problem
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:48:40 +0100

I have the same problem, it will not even pick up the fact that I have a
scsi controller with a CDrom let alone the raid array.

Gregor, a brief walkthrough of the setup options you used would be
appreciated.

Geoff.

From: philipp scherer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW YAMAHA 4416S Timeout/RH6 Mand.6
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:08:44 +0000

Jibé wrote:

> Grettings!
>
> I have a problem with my cdrw when I want to start Linux:
> After the message
>
> '1 host'
>
> I have a message
>
> '...aborting due to timeout lun0 pid3' or something like that...
>
> during the boot, when the scsi card (TEKRAM) wants to detect my cdrw...
> After that, Linux displays some debugging informations and the boot
> stops... And I have to reboot.
>
> What can I do ?

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

I had a similar problem with an ASUS P2BS board with
onboard U2W controller AIC7890. I tried to install
SUSE 6.0 and got the same error message. I had to build
a new kernel with proper options for the scsi driver
(not to use LUNs, larger time for scsi reset). Since
then it works. Which controller is on the TEKRAM?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: 22 Jul 1999 13:08:36 GMT

On 21 Jul 1999 12:09:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I can't figure out why so many people seem to be building a computer
>just for linux.  If your not using it for a server of some kind; is
>there any reason to have a separate box?
>Al Teunis
>Muskegon, Mi
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks everyone.........

As a rule I don't use bandwidth to thank people for there replies to
my post; I usually Email them.  Because of the volume of interest in
this case please allow this thank-you.  Every post has been printed
and put in a file called Linux Box. This group seems seems to have
fewer potty mouths hanging around than others groups, but if seems
that we could still use a little  improvement in this area.
Al Teunis
Muskegon, Mi

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: bigpicture video capture card
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:33:50 -0400

Anyone has a driver for a 3com - us robotic bigpicture camera and pci
capture card ?
I am running RH6.0

Thanks !

Francois

------------------------------

From: "Jake_Paws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP 1100 laser printer
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:29:38 -0600

I think the hp 1100 is a windows only printer. Look in the book to see if it
lists a emulation. Like for instance a HP Laserjet Series II. Then use that
driver instead.
Also check the hp website or just call hp.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Date: 22 Jul 1999 14:35:23 GMT

On 22 Jul 1999 00:23:58 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Feel free to spend it any way you want just don't to recommend it to other
>people.  My conclusion is that those authors of those books 'build your
>own pentium box and save a bundle' or similar are full of garbage.

As I follow this thread, I am more and more convinced that you're nothing
more than a troll.  It seems clearly obvious to me that you have
absolutely no experience in the home-built PC market.

Do you still not realize that some people want newer machines than the
garbage you claim to own?

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: Steven Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN TA ISA card woes
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:41:21 +0100

==============B25A837E8D503FF5829AD66A

I have been given a cheap ISDN ISA terminal adaptor card and I'm trying
to get the kernel to recognise it to no avail. It appears to be a
Siemens chipset:

SIEMENS PSB 2115 H  v1.1 IPAC

ROCKWELL 11596-21
9751 B53390-4

and is configured with irq 10 and an I/O range 0x108 to 0x01F.

I have a SUSE 6.1 distribution with a 2.2.10 kernel, if that helps. I've
tried loading
different modules from the hysax driver but it fails. Does anyone have
any suggestions? I've trawled through the HOWTOs and FAQs but can't see
anything
to suggest why it isn't recognised.

Steve Hill

==============B25A837E8D503FF5829AD66A

begin:vcard
n:Hill;Steven
tel;cell:+44 7775705479
tel;home:+44 1704 535206
tel;work:+44 1344 3168506
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Hewlett Packard ;Hewlett Packard Consulting
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:SAP Technical Consultant
fn:Steven Hill
end:vcard

==============B25A837E8D503FF5829AD66A==

From: jan grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP REQD: Large IDE drive (Fujitsu MPC3102AT 10.24 GB)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:59:19 GMT

I've got a 10GB Fujitsu MPC3102AT drive in a PC here, as secondary
master.

Now, the BIOS doesn't seem to like drives over 8GB (or possibly smaller)
'cause it's not very new; however, this shouldn't be a problem since I
don't want to boot off the drive, I merely want to stick a large (all of
it) data partition on it.

First problem: fdisk only seems to think it's got 16383 cyl, 16 heads,
63 sectors for a total of 8.45 gb.

Second problem: if I set aside a single partition, /dev/hdc1 as
basically taking up the whole disk, I can mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 with no
errors reported.

However, when I run /sbin/fsck.ext2 -f /dev/hdc1, the following error
occurs:

        Short read trying to fetch block 2064420

The same error occurs for every block beyond that.

I notice that 2064420/63=32768, which leads me to believe there's some
16-bit value in the kernel playing sillybuggers ("you want me find
sector -32768? get a grip" sort of thing).

It's all very well noticing this, however, but I'd like to know what to
do about it.

The kernel, by the way, is 2.0.36; this is a fairly old PC but new
enough that the motherboard ought to be able to cope with 10GB drives.

Help! What next?

I'd appreciate it if any (constructive) comments could be CC:'d to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance,

jan
--
Leverage that synergy! Ooh yeah, looking good! Now stretch - and relax.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Date: 22 Jul 1999 14:42:15 GMT

In article <jPFl3.61$3v1.5306@nntp1>, Jake_Paws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I think the hp 1100 is a windows only printer. Look in the book to see if it
>lists a emulation. Like for instance a HP Laserjet Series II. Then use that
>driver instead.
>Also check the hp website or just call hp.
>tivoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I have an HP 1100 laser printer that I can't print to out of Linux.
>> When I print, it sends the job through but only prints a few lines of
>> junk at the top of the first page then blank pages after that.  How do I
>> fix that?

There are quite a few Linux and OS/2 users happily sending print jobs
to their 1100's.  It handles PCL to (IIRC) 5[e]?  Well, at least 4, which
is how mine is configured in /etc/printcap.

Unfortunately I haven't any idea as to why the original poster is having
his/her problem.

        -frank

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: Cheap /Linux/ Box (Re: Why Build Box?)
Date: 22 Jul 1999 11:16:28 -0500

On 22 Jul 1999 10:16:26 -0500, Andrew Comech wrote:
> On 21 Jul 1999 21:20:03 -0500, John Doe wrote:
> > Well I have never paid more than $100 for a complete used box.  I don't
> > think people who sell these boxes charge me for that tax.

Actually, you are the one whom others might call `punk':

: punk adj : (informal) of very poor quality; n 1: an aggressive
: young criminal

I think this might very well be combined into
"an aggressive young criminal using computers of very poor quality"

I used to do similar things, except I got an old 386 for free
(from the bunch of broken computers kept in the university), ran Minix
for a couple of months, then increased memory to 4MB and installed
Linux (4MB RAM, 120MB hard drive, 386 at around 50MHz). Since that time,
I got some money and spent $350 to upgrade all the parts (now the box is
K6 300 based) and $500 on a monitor.

Guess what: I noticed some improvements (the kernel compiles in
3 min, as opposed to 12 hours, and 16" 1152x864 at 100Hz screen
looks even better than that beloved VGA monitor ;-).

Best,
a.

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modems

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: can't initialize my modems
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:08:30 GMT

Hi,
I've got a problem with my external modems under linux.
I know the modems are all right (running Win98, I can use them).
I have also been able to use them under linux, and they were working
fine.
Yesterday, I installed a second modem (a USR one). The modem was
present, but minicom couldn't initialize it. I tried to change the
settings and got no results. Eventually, I turned the computer off,
changed the modem's serial port, and suddenly it worked perfectly!
However, after the next reboot, the problem was back. This is annoying,
but acceptable as I only want my modem to be dialed in under linux (and
when the modem's dialed in, everything's fine).
Meanwhile, I took my oldest modem (an Olitec one) to another PC, running
the same version of Linux (Mandrake 6.0). The Olitec had never got any
problem with linux. It also worked with this other PC yesterday, but
today, after a reboot, it gave me the same problem that the USR.
Minicom says different things when trying to initialize, it can be:
*       ..+++
*       AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
        OK
which is the good init string, but I still can't type 'at'
*       TQ0V1H0
        OK
minicom always gets stuck after this. Then I'm forced to kill it.

Kind of a voodoo trick, isn't it?

From: Mike Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cheap personal laser for Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:28:06 -0500

Jeremy Fincher wrote:

> I am looking for a decent personal laser printer for as cheap as possible with
> a major brand.  Definitely under $400.  I also need it to work with Linux,
> win98, and NT.  Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been looking at the Lexmark E310 -- I think it's just barely in
your price range.
Has PostScript, too!
--
Michael Hall
http://www.enteract.com/~mghall

From: "Rack Bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking For 66MHz PCI Platform.
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:31:05 -0700

Intel L440GX+ motherboard has 2 66 Mhz PCI slots

------------------------------

From: Mike Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FS: ISA Adaptec SCSI and 3Com Ethernet
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:33:14 -0500

Sorry if this is out of place; just hoping someone could
use a cheap SCSI controller or Ethernet card:

3Com 3C509 combo (AUI + coax) 10B2 Ethernet, ISA        $10
Adaptec AHA1542CF SCSI + floppy controller, boxed       $35
Seagate 1GB SCSI drive                                  $20

Orchid Fahrenheit 1280+ VLB video card, 2MB             $10
Cardinal DSP16 Sound card with wave roms, ISA           $10
midiman MM401 MIDI interface, ISA                       $30
Microtek PageWiz parallel port page scanner             $30

US Dollar amounts are merely asking prices ...
(In west-subsurbs of Chicago.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Briggs)
Subject: "Not found any active partition"
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:03:09 GMT

I tried to fit a new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-5AX), but on bootup it
returned the error "Not found any [active partition] in HDD".

I've gone back to the old board, and the HDD is perfectly good, so it must
be a BIOS setting on the new board.  I'm pretty sure I've got the drive
cable the right way round, as the new BIOS autodetects the drive -- and I
chose the C/H/S config that matched the old board's BIOS (and also the
config printed on the drive itself).  I also checked that it was
definitely trying to boot from the HDD.

Any suggestions what else I could try messing with?

Ian

------------------------------

From: "Martin Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Small Linux (x86) needed, similar to NetWinder
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:41:09 -0700

Vatyx, Inc. has a new 2U x 16" deep rack mount chassis that supports the
integrated Intel SR440BX micro ATX motherboard with up to 4 NICs
Systems start around $1200

Martin Thompson
Vatyx, Inc.
(541)929-6496

From: "Mark V." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:37:58 -0400

I am running or try to run a Xpert98 ATI card on ANY moniter. It detects the
color depth fine but it tells me that there is a problem with my x
configuration. It does not let me pick my own card. It used to work just
fine. Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: Jake Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LS120 with SCSI emulation
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:31:18 GMT

I have a Memorex CRW 1622 and an LS120 drive that I want to use together
in my system (RH 6, kernel 2.2.10). I have to have SCSI emulation turned
on for the CRW to be used by CDrecord, but when I do this, I cannot get
the LS120 to work. Does anyone know if SCSI emulation will work with the
LS120? Or if there is a way to set up SCSI emulation and IDE at the same
time?

Thanks,
Jake Williams
MaxVision Corporation

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Pfann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SCSI Tape setup under RH 4.2 (Biltmore)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:43:00 +0200

Hi all,

Christopher Suleske wrote:

> Wow, here's one for you:
>
> I have added a SCSI tape drive (DDS3 device) to a system and wish to
> make a system backup before going to 6.0.  During boot, I see the unit
> verified during SCSI bus initialization, but linux doesn't detect it as
> /dev/st0.
>
> How can I make the device for this unit?
>
> TIA; reply by email if you can.
>
> <C>

Did you include support for SCSI tapes in your customized kernel ?
If you're still using the original installation kernel, I don't
remember by heart if the support's there. So take the time to
recompile; IMHO, it's no problem to build the SCSI tape support (st.o)
as a module, but that may depend on your SCSI HA - e.g. with my
Symbios 8750 I configure basic SCSI support, HA and SCSI HD "fixed",
and tape,cdrom and generic (for my cdwriter) as modules.
Or do you simply miss the /dev entries ? So you either run a MAKEDEV
script or whatever it's called in RH 4.2 with the argument "std"
(for standard) or create the device nodes yourself : get the entries
for SCSI tape in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt and feed
the resp. arguments to "mknod". I can't be more specific as I don't
remember the resp. information either (sitting at work at my NT box),
I believe, however, that the major number is 9, char devices, 0 and 1
for st0 and st1 and 4 and 5 for nst0 and nst1 (the non-rewinding).

HTH

Juergen

------------------------------

From: Michael L Lockhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ProStar 8250 15" LCD XF86Config problems
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:49:49 -0600

I have a  ProStar 8250 which uses an ATI Rage LT Pro AGP graphics card with 8MB
ram to drive a 15" LCD TFT screen. I have been  unable to get Xwindows running
properly for this guy and wonder if anyone else has been successful getting a 15
inch screen working.

Thanks,

Mike

--

Got a complaint about the Internal Revenue Service?
Call the convenient toll-free "IRS Taxpayer Complaint Hot Line Number":

        1-800-AUDITME

------------------------------

From: "LOF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:53:41 +0200

> > I have a problem with my cdrw when I want to start Linux:
> > After the message
> > '1 host'
> > I have a message
> > '...aborting due to timeout lun0 pid3' or something like that...
> > during the boot, when the scsi card (TEKRAM) wants to detect my cdrw...

Same for me : CD-RW YAMAHA 4416S + SCSI Tekram (2 modules of the kernel
*should* apply, I don't remember thoroughly their names, but they probably
match t?scsi? and am53?7*) + Mandrake 6.0 (ker 2.2.9).
Worse : after such a problem, on the reboot, everything look like I don't
have the CD-RW at all ! (looks like the SCSI controller don't find
anything). I then need to reboot *twice* on WinXX to have my CD-RW found
again !

With a SuSE 6.1 (kernel 2.2.6), I have the message "1 host", and then, no
error but simply nothing else with the SCSI.

I'm considering looking into the modules involved, but if someone did some
efforts already, let me know !

Laurent.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Liu)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: S3 ViRGE DX/GX PCI (375/385) Modeline
Date: 22 Jul 1999 16:23:13 GMT

xvidtune. Take the modelines it produces and replace the old ones in
XF86Config.

Alan

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Hi,
: Sorry to barge in, but I might have something to
: add here. I'm running the same vid card and had
: probs too (X is pushing the screen to the right
: and its smaller than my win 1024x768. Temporary
: remedy is an app called xvidrez or something
: similar, comes with the X package. It does the
: job but it wont be a permanent solution since you
: loose it all once you shut down the x server.
: Which brings me to my question: how the hell can
: you make that stick for the next time you boot ?

: Hati

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Share what you know. Learn what you don't.