Linux-Hardware Digest #821, Volume #12            Mon, 8 May 00 09:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: cylinder 1024 (starting where) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: U. S. Robotics External 56K (GENE)
  Re: ide-scsi CD-R Problem With Newest Kernels (.14 & .15) -  write_g1?!?!?!? (Nick
Brok)
  Re: ide-scsi CD-R Problem With Newest Kernels (.14 & .15) -  write_g1?!?!?!?
("Brian")
  Re: How do you mount a second CDROM (CDRW) drive? (Joachim Feise)
  Re: sony memorystick download under linux (Glitch)
  Re: Linux and Bale Modems (Scott Alfter)
  Re: Bug in kernels >=2.2.14 ("Dennis J.A. Bijwaard")
  Re: Linux - autoexec/config.sys ? (Michael V. Ferranti)
  Re: ATT: Can someone pls help? ("Raging Lizard")
  Re: Removed cover due to heat. OK? (George Smith)
  Support: Sony VAIO PCG-C1XN (Derek Colley)
  Re: DVD-RAM? with Linux? (Eric)
  Hardware recommends for ipchains, postfix, squid and bind (Tropi)
  Re: Floppy Read/Write (Georg Michel)
  VT100 keyboards and Linux (Alessandro Russo)
  Installing Iomega zip250 (Franses)
  Re: How do you mount a second CDROM (CDRW) drive? (root)
  Error #116 ("Marc PARIS")
  DVD-Ram and Linux (Norbert Faulhaber - Hero)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: cylinder 1024 (starting where)
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 05:12:31 GMT

On Sun, 07 May 2000 17:21:49 GMT, Bob Berman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The best solution is to upgrade LILO to version 21.4.2. The
>1024 cylinder limit is history. Just compile it, install it
>and add a line with "lba32" somewhere in your lilo.conf
>file. It'll boot from anywhere or any size disk.

Yes, thank you, I just read someone else's post in another group
who said the same thing.  One lonely bright spot in my perilous
adventures.  The last time I partitioned a drive (to install Linux
on a Windows machine) I managed to get Partition Magic to crash,
and then to crash Linux fdisk.  At least this time I have a virgin
drive.

Marc

--
What I really am is "fluffy", no "_dong",
no "_puff", no "_woo", no  nothing, just plain fluffy.

------------------------------

From: GENE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: U. S. Robotics External 56K
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 05:40:53 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Al and Ann Shaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : I'm  a brand new newbie using Word Perfect Corel Linux 2000 and don't have a
> : clue as to how to get this modem recognized and up and running. (Neither did
>
> No external modem needs any "recognition" or configuration, provided it
> hooks into the standard serial port. Linux talks to the serial port.
> The serial port talks to the modem.
>
> : I hope that one of you nice folks can steer me in the right direction..
>
> Reading the Modem- and Serial-HOWTOs would seem to be your first option!
>
> Peter

I have an external USR Sportster 56K.  I found that getting it up the first time
was a bit traumatic, since my ISP didn't want to have anything to do with
Linux (at that time).  My system (Red Hat 6.1) has a script to connect & dial out

(/usr/sbin/ppp-on) and to hang up (/usr/sbin/ppp-off).  I had to insert the ISP
telephone number in ppp-on, as well as my account/password.  The entry for
the LOCAL_IP and REMOTE_IP remain at 0.0.0.0, since the IP numbers are
dynamically assigned during the PPP negotiations each time you dial up your
ISP. In my case, the ppp-on script sets a variable called DIALER_SCRIPT
to the location of another script called /usr/sbin/ppp-on-dialer.  Then
the pppd daemon is started with a command like this:

exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/cua1 115200 \
        asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
        noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

The /usr/sbin/ppp-on-dialer file is also a script which actually controls the
modem. The contends of that file look like:

#!/bin/sh
#
# This is part 2 of the ppp-on script. It will perform the connection
# protocol for the desired connection.
#
exec chat -v                                            \
        TIMEOUT         3                               \
        ABORT           '\nBUSY\r'                      \
        ABORT           '\nNO ANSWER\r'                 \
        ABORT           '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'    \
        ''              \rAT                            \
        'OK-+++\c-OK'   ATH0                            \
        TIMEOUT         30                              \
        OK              ATDT$TELEPHONE                  \
        CONNECT         ''                              \
        ogin:--ogin:    $ACCOUNT                        \
        assword:        $PASSWORD

Do a "man chat" to figure out what this stuff does. This
sequence of string has been working for me for a few
years now, so perhaps they will get your modem active.

There is another set of files which I think I had to fiddle
with in /etc/ppp.  I don't know what I did for those, but
I think your ISP can help there.  Since my struggle, I
think my ISP (flash.net) has actually posted the info
for setting up the chap-secrets stuff somewhere, but
I can't find it now.

The chap-secrets file has the following 3 tidbits of info -
my client name at my ISP (the same genepaul which
you see as my e-mail address), the server - ppp1 (I
must have gotten that from my ISP), and my "secret"
which is my password at my ISP.  Note that this
method is not very secure for a shared system, if that
is a concern. The chap-secrets file has four columns
in it, but the IP addresses column is blank in mine.
There is also a login file which has my login and password
again.  Not sure which is needed, login or chap-secrets,
or both.

There is a PPP HOWTO in the /usr/doc/HOWTO directory
on my system - maybe on yours as well.  It will help with
the PPP part of things.

There is another directory which I don't remember changing -
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  It has some scripts which
look suspiciously like modem control things. Maybe someone
else can shed some light on that one.  Hang in there - the stability
of Linux is worth the extra effort to get up.  I hope someone
with a Corel install is able to help you more directly than I.

Sincerely,

Gene Montgomery.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Brok)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ide-scsi CD-R Problem With Newest Kernels (.14 & .15) -  write_g1?!?!?!?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 05:46:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Buelow wrote:
>This kind of looks like a buffer overrun problem (more data hitting the
>CD-R than it is capable of digesting). So, we need some details on the
>system. What is on the SCSI bus, what is the usage of any of the SCSI
>devices whilst you are recording. Hard to say, but it seems like this is
>the problem. Anyone else? A fix would be difficult and could simply be
>driver related which puts it out of my domain. Also, what SCSI card is it?

I have the same problem with the newest development kernel (2.3.99.pre6)
The card is a symbios ncr SCSI adaptor. I get also bufferoverruns so something
is wrong with the driver...
I use the matsushita cdr.... and the other SCSI devices are not used while bur-
ning cdr's.

--

Greetings,

Nick Brok
--
ICQ:48844045          Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +31-40-2528917   Fax: +31-40-8441821

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 22:58:23 -0700

Hi Nick:

Nick Brok wrote in message ...
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Buelow wrote:

>I have the same problem with the newest development kernel (2.3.99.pre6)
>The card is a symbios ncr SCSI adaptor. I get also bufferoverruns so
>something is wrong with the driver...

>I use the matsushita cdr.... and the other SCSI devices are not used
>while burning cdr's.

Try rebuilding cdrecord from the latest source tree - cdrecord-1.8.1

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: How do you mount a second CDROM (CDRW) drive?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 23:28:49 -0700

David Megnin wrote:

>   I've just installed a SCSI CDRW drive and can't figure out how to mount it.
>
>         It's a Yamaha 8424 on an Adaptec AHA 2940UW controller.  The drive ID
> is 3.  I already have an ATAPI CD-ROM mounted as /mnt/cdrom.
>
>         I've tried adding a second line to the /etc/fstab file like:
> /dev/scd0    /mnt/cdrom2    iso9660   ro,user,noauto 0 0
> just a guess more than anything else.

Should be about right.
Can you mount the drive manually?
I have the same setup, and I usually do 'mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2'
without any problems.

-Joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 02:54:54 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: sony memorystick download under linux

complain to sony then

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Subject: Re: Linux and Bale Modems
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 07:32:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Gerald Caldwell Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    I'm running Red Hat Linux 6.1  Deluxe.  Is there anyone using cable
>modems with Linux.

I have two Linux installations using cable-modem Internet access.  One is at
home; it provides IP-masquerading services for my other computers and runs
my website (http://salfter.dyndns.org).  The other is set up elsewhere as a
mail server for a mid-sized corporation (better than trying to get Exchange
running on their NT servers, and much simpler to get up and going on old
hardware...would Exchange run on a P5-166 with 32 megs of RAM?).

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (salfter at (yo no quiero spam) delphi dot com)
 \_^_/  http://salfter.dyndns.org

------------------------------

From: "Dennis J.A. Bijwaard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: Bug in kernels >=2.2.14
Date: 8 May 2000 08:18:49 GMT

In linux.dev.kernel [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I believe there is a bug (or undocumented change of behavior) in kernels
:>=2.2.14.  My NICs work in 2.2.13 and 2.2.14pre4,  but not in 2.2.14 or
: 2.2.15.

My two ne2000 cards are not affected, and run nicely in 2.2.14/15:

  Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Realtek 8029 (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 15.
      I/O at 0xb400 [0xb401].
  Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Winbond NE2000-PCI (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.
      I/O at 0xb000 [0xb001].

: Could it be that there is a new dhcp client to be used with the latest

I still use the original dhcp client from slackware7 without problems.

--
Kind regards,
                    Dennis Bijwaard (remove antispam to reply)

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux - autoexec/config.sys ?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 08:23:17 +0100

Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?
"Michael Ahumibe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:

>Does Linux have it's own form of an autoexec.bat file or a config.sys file?

        It has a bunch of them, actually.  init fires up all the daemons.  I
suppose the last script that runs at boot up is /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  I put
a program called "fixcmi" in there to tweak my CMI-8330 sound chip into
working.  When you log into an account, a shell script is run (usually it's
the hidden .bashrc file located in your home directory).  My semi-computer
literate father has an acct on my system, and I added startx and logout to
.bashrc for him.  When he logs in, X runs, and as soon as he quits X, it
logs him out of his acct.  Saves him from having to deal with bash, since
all he really bothers with is Mahjongg and Solitaire.  My root and use acct
.bashrc scripts contain a bunch of aliases for jobs I commonly do.  Check
out init, and the DOS-to-Linux HOWTO...

-                Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
                            GNUke The Planet!
                          The GNUclear Network®

------------------------------

From: "Raging Lizard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.dev.laptop,linux.dev.newbie,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: ATT: Can someone pls help?
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 04:48:19 -0400

You have to supply a mount point for that formatted partition. A re-install
of Linux is probably in order or you can use linux fdisk and change the
system ID of those partitions, format them and then mount them

------------------------------

From: George Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Removed cover due to heat. OK?
Date: 08 May 2000 11:21:17 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown) writes:

[...]
> Normally, the LM sensors would report the "idle" temps
> at around 42 Celsus. When I removed the top cover, the "idle"
> temp dropped to around 38 Celsus.
[...]

How does one go about getting this data? My own dual processor, dual HD
system with lots of other extras is about to experience its first summer.
The building is not air-conditioned and we have nice big windows on the
south side.

George Smith

From: Derek Colley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Support: Sony VAIO PCG-C1XN
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 11:05:40 +0100

After 2 months of [intermittent] trying to get the appropriate display
settings for my little Redhat machine I am now happy as a pig - I
finally got it to work!

Many thanks to all who published their experiences/findings.
Also, many thanks to the guys at www.Xig.com who pointed me to a
solution that didn't require me to part with any cash!

Here are a couple of resources to share around:
- http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/  <-- I should've
started here :-|
- http://internettrash.com/users/pcgc1/
- http://www.solluna.org/~bookwyrm/pcg-c1x.html
- http://www.solluna.org/~bookwyrm/pcg-Xconfig.txt  <-- a working
XF86Config file - thanks to BookWyrm!
- http://www.cadic.com/VAIO-HOWTWO/   <-- a screen shot to keep you
motivated :o)

Regards,
Derek

Aside: The Matrix screensaver that came with RH6.2 is far better than
any available for Winblahs. And it looks kinda spooky running at
1024x480...do get that feeling that... Nah, can't be.

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD-RAM? with Linux?
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:03:02 GMT

Scott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any planned support for DVD-RW (RAM)?  I back-up to CD-RW right
> now, but I'm running out of room.  I don't care about watching movies
> with the thing, I just want one piece of media for all my back-ups.
> Also, does/will cdrecord support DVD-RW?
>
> -Scott Ecker

for DVD-RAM look at
  http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~sight95/linux/dvd-ram/dvd-ram-english.html

------------------------------

Subject: Hardware recommends for ipchains, postfix, squid and bind
From: Tropi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 03:48:46 -0700

Hi,

does anyone have experience in running a LINUX firewall on 486
hardware?
Is it realistic to use e.g. a 486/66 for securing a network from
20 to 120 clients with ipchains, running a mail relay
with postfix, Bind and Squid.

Thanks for help
Christian

From: Georg Michel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Floppy Read/Write
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:04:56 +0200

I solved the problem now. All you need is fdrawcmd which is part of the
fdutils suite. with this program one can generate (and read) any format
or header information.

Georg

------------------------------

From: Alessandro Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VT100 keyboards and Linux
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:02:00 +0200

Hi all,

I have a couple of broken old VT100's, but with a perfectly working
keyboard.
Is it possible to use it in a Linux Box?

Thanks in advance

Ale
--
Alessandro Russo, IAN-CNR Pavia
===============================

------------------------------

From: Franses <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing Iomega zip250
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:13:37 +0200

I want to use an Iomega 250MB zip drive for USB, under
RH6.1. Can anyone help?

========================
-Franses
========================

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 05:49:27 -0700

Thanks, Joe!    I typed the line to mount it manually and it said there was no
mount point in /mnt.  I created a directory called "cdrom1" and tried again and it
worked.

-David

------------------------------

From: "Marc PARIS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Error #116
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:45:07 +0200

How i can repair my HDD of 15Go 7200 RPM wich indicates this error with
Partition Magic
I think it's the partition table so the MBR but how i can do ?
Thanks to help me friends.

                 ICQ : 22108092
          www.multimania.com/ecs

From: Norbert Faulhaber - Hero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: DVD-Ram and Linux
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 14:46:39 +0200

I have trouble with my DVD-Ram (Toshiba XM SD-W1111) since I updated
Linux
from SuSE 6.3 to SuSE 6.4.

With SuSE 6.3 (Kernel 2.2.13) the DVD-Drive was included as a normal
Drive.
The Partition-table (one ext2-partition) and the Block-Size (2048) where
detected
correct.

With SuSE 6.4 (Kernel 3.3.14) and the new Kernel 2.2.15 I get the
following errors
at boot-time:

     (scsi0:0:4:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
     Vendor: TOSHIBA   Model: DVD-RAM SD-W1111  Rev: 1010
     Type:   Optical Device                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
     Detected scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
     Vendor: TOSHIBA   Model: DVD-RAM SD-W1111  Rev: 1010
     Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
     Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
     sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
     sdb : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
     sdb : extended sense code = 2
     sdb : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
     sdb:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
     unable to read partition table

Does anyone has any idea on how is the bug?
Thank you.

Norbert Faulhaber ([EMAIL PROTECTED])