From: "Matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond viper 550 drivers
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:45:04 -0800

I bought Red hat linux 5.2 but before installing it I need Video card
drivers for my DAIMOND VIPER 550 16MEG AGP with the riva tnt chipset. I have
searched all over the place suse.com freex86.com (or whatever the site is)
and I cant find it!!! I need help

Please E-mail me with any info. Greatly accepted

Matt

------------------------------

From: Brian Rutledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card interference
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:53:20 -0500

I recently recompiled my kernel to include sound support for an ess1869
sound card as a module.  It seems to have worked, for the most part,
except there seems to be electrical interference of something.  There is
a constant hiss, and whenever I do something that requires memory, hard
disk, or processor usage (executing a command, using the mouse, etc),
there is added interference.  I can adjust volume levels so that I don't
hear it, but could someone explain to me what the problem might be and
how to solve it?

Thanks,
Brian

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:03:15 GMT

Johan Kullstam writes:
> i'd love to use AMS-LaTeX but the US DoD requires all documentation be
> submitted in `MS-Word 6.0 for Windows' format.

You really should write to your congressman and/or Ralph Nader about this.
Maybe one of the news organizations would be interested.  Might make an a
nice little investigative reporting bit.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: Javier Heredia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD movies?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 03:26:45 +0000

Windows Media Player doesn't play DVD streams far as I know...then again, never tried.
 And
many now come with Zoran SoftDVD (HiVal's 3rd gen SoftDVD drive has it...$150
about...the
MX300 also packages it).  All you need is a P2-266 or faster (I use a K6-2 300 and it's
slightly choppy during action sequences) and a supported AGP card (in my case, STB
V4400
16MB).

I'm sitting here waiting for a Linux DVD player, too...all I see are old pages talking
about hardware decoding.  Software decoding is probably easier since the app does all
the
decoding itself.  Anyone at all willing to take this on?

Javier Heredia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Corn)
Subject: Re: Diamond Stealth II 460
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 02:32:22 GMT

Do a search for XBF-i740-glibc-1.0.0-1.rpm and
xf86config-glibc-1.0.0.i386.tgz, both on www.precisioninsight.com.
Read the faqs.

DC

------------------------------

From: Tomasz Korycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape Backup Help Please
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 02:51:34 -0500

John Thompson wrote:

> Tomasz Korycki wrote:
>
> > "W.C." wrote:
> > >
> > > Newbie server operator here.  I'm running a POP server, and, since people
> > > are relying on me to provide their mail, I would like to make backups each
> > > night.  I have installed an Adaptec 2940 SCSI interface and an HP SureStore
> > > T20 tape drive (10/20).
> > >
> > > How does one go about mounting and using such a device?  I've investigated
> > > the tar command and mount command in my references, but cannot locate solid
> > > information.
>
> > You don't mount tapes - they do NOT have filesystems to be mounted. Data
> > to them is written in a stream. You can, essentially, use cat and pipe
> > the output to tape device (done that, years ago...;<). But tar, cpio,
> > bru and friends are MUCH better. For tar, I would just use tar -cvf
> > /dev/device_file_of_your_tape <filenames or directory name under which
> > You want to grab everything>. Don't backup /, as I once did: it will
> > grab /proc filesystem, which will shhot You out the window if You try to
> > restore it....
>
> Modern "tar" implementations support an "exclude" switch
> ("X" with the tar tar-1.12-4 I have here) that allows you to
> exclude the /proc filesystem when you backup /.  It works
> fine here...

Even not so modern ones.... But let's get this guy started the simplest
way possible first, _without_ letting him do the simplest errors. I am
certain he can do man tar and understand it, once he has a luxury of
time: when his data is safe on a cartridge off-site.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: : X WIndows problem(Compaq MV500),please help.
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:53:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Who cares <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I do not completly agree with the hint below ...
> the MV 500 operates in a NON-interlaced mode at 1024x748 (read on Compaq
> web site for MV 500).
>
> I've got it working in 1024x768, 8 bit ofr the compaq screen MV500,
>         after choosing the custom screen in a non-interlaced mode
> 1024x768 @ 60 Hz. For this select ONLY
>         THE highest resolution wanted (1024x768) after the custom screen
> was selected. (I'll add an extract of  my XF86config file later on (cf
> http://www.kom.auc.dk/~presario.html ))

the correct url is
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~sonic/presario.html

From: Dupont Michelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ghostscript and HP895CXI
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:41:03 +0100

==============0B57D49AFED5BD1DED0D307B

I have a HP895cxi connected to my linux PC. I compiled ghostscript 5.50
with the new cdj8xx
devices. The new gs works fine  but the result file is a data file and
not a HPPCL file.
If I print that file, I have a paper with some special characters.

The command is the following one:

gs/gs5.50/obj/gs -dNOPAUSE -dPapertype=0 -dQuality=0  -sPAPERSIZE=a4
-sDEVICE=cdj890  -sOutputFile=zaza.hp  zaza.ps

I precise that zaza.ps is a postscript file.

What can I do?

Thanks a lot,
Michelle

--
Michelle Dupont
UNIPC

Tel: 366.23.38
Fax: 366.23.55
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============0B57D49AFED5BD1DED0D307B

<HTML>
Hi,

<P>I have a HP895cxi connected to my linux PC. I compiled ghostscript 5.50
with the new cdj8xx
<BR>devices. The new gs works fine&nbsp; but the result file is a data
file and&nbsp; not a HPPCL file.
<BR>If I print that file, I have a paper with some special characters.

<P>The command is the following one:
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>gs/gs5.50/obj/gs -dNOPAUSE -dPapertype=0 -dQuality=0&nbsp; -sPAPERSIZE=a4
<BR>-sDEVICE=cdj890&nbsp; -sOutputFile=zaza.hp&nbsp; zaza.ps

<P>I precise that zaza.ps is a postscript file.
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>What can I do?

<P>Thanks a lot,
<BR>Michelle
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Michelle Dupont
UNIPC
Universite de Liege

Tel: 366.23.38
Fax: 366.23.55
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: John Thrasher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-R? ARE YOU in SANE??
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 06:48:19 GMT

==============F29E33EC7A97369982E790A1

I have a couple of questions and If anyone can help I would appreciate
it and also be able to leave Windoze behind.

1.)
I was running Xcdroast  and it can't detect my 'reader' drive 24X
Toshiba and fills all the options, reader/writer, with my 'writer' drive
CR2801TE. When I click on the button to choose a different
drive it keeps giving me the message :
'Error: can't read "tkPriv(activeMenu)"; no such element in array'.
I get this when the Toshiba is considered IDE or I boot it up as SCSI
(hdc=ide-scsi).

2.)
Now that I have scsi-emulation ability what do I need to do to get
xscanimage to use my scanner (generic). I use find-scanner
and it does nothing. Do I need to setup my lpt port in a way similar to
my CD-ROM drives?

I am, of course still trying to learn Linux and am reading a book on it
but there dosen't seem to be very much documentation
(newbie friendly), either in my book or on the web for these subjects.

Thanks for your help,
John

==============F29E33EC7A97369982E790A1

<HTML>
<FONT SIZE=-1>I have a couple of questions and If anyone can help I would
appreciate it and also be able to leave Windoze behind.</FONT>
<P><FONT SIZE=-1>1.)</FONT>
<BR>I<FONT SIZE=-1> was running Xcdroast&nbsp; and it can't detect my 'reader'
drive 24X</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>Toshiba and fills all the options, reader/writer, with
my 'writer' drive CR2801TE. When I click on the button to choose a different</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>drive it keeps giving me the message :</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>'Error: can't read "tkPriv(activeMenu)"; no such element
in array'.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>I get this when the Toshiba is considered IDE or I boot
it up as SCSI (hdc=ide-scsi).</FONT>
<P><FONT SIZE=-1>2.)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>Now that I have scsi-emulation ability what do I need
to do to get xscanimage to use my scanner (generic). I use find-scanner</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>and it does nothing. Do I need to setup my lpt port in
a way similar to my CD-ROM drives?</FONT>
<P><FONT SIZE=-1>I am, of course still trying to learn Linux and am reading
a book on it but there dosen't seem to be very much documentation</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>(newbie friendly), either in my book or on the web for
these subjects.</FONT>
<P><FONT SIZE=-1>Thanks for your help,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>John</FONT></HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mr Freeze)
Crossposted-To: comp.music.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music,rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux
Date: 24 Mar 1999 04:41:07 -0600

>> I need recommendations for a pro-quality soundcard with 8+ outputs and
>> S/PDIF I/O that has drivers for Linux.
>
>I think Sonorus has Linux drivers for their StudI/O card.  It's got two
>ADAT lightpipe ports, and you can get converters between that format and
>S/PDIF.  Poke around at http://www.sonorus.com.

Poked around and saw nothing? Looks like Sonorus has their hands full
with their Win NT drivers release. Oh well.

--
Mr Freeze
**Attention the email address is not a deliverable

------------------------------

From: Mark Hamlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
de.comm.isdn,de.comm.isdn.computer,de.comm.isdn.technik,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: linux, isdn modprobe
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:54:21 +0000

Hi,

Sorry for the gross cross-posting, but if I don't get this fixed within
a few days (I've already had over a week) the card is going back fo an
external box (at double the price!).

I'm trying to install a internal PCI fritz! avm card into my Dell
running Linux Red Hat 5.1 with kernel 2.035.  I've downloaded the
isdn4linux package and read the /usr/src/Linux/Documentation/isdn/readme
& /usr/src/Linux/Documentation/isdn/readme.HISAX info.

As its a PCI card I've skipped the isapnptools bit & gone to the
modprobe step. Is that right?  Here's what I did & what happend, why
would it say resource busy, have I missed vital config.  I have a
internal ISA pnp modem conifgured on ttyS0 - is that the cause.

Thanks for any help.  Mark

# modprobe isdn
# modprobe hisax type=5 protocol=2 id=Fritz
/lib/modules/preferred/misc/hisax.o: init_module: Device or resource
busy

# dmesg

ISDN subsystem Rev: 1.44/1.41/1.47/1.28/1.8 loaded
HiSax: Driver for Siemens chip set ISDN cards
HiSax: Version 2.1
HiSax: Revisions 1.15/1.10/1.10/1.30/1.8
HiSax: Warning - no protocol specified
HiSax: Note! module load syntax has changed.
HiSax: using protocol EURO
HiSax: Total 0 card defined
HiSax: Driver for Siemens chip set ISDN cards
HiSax: Version 2.1
HiSax: Revisions 1.15/1.10/1.10/1.30/1.8
HiSax: Total 1 card defined
HiSax: Card 1 Protocol EDSS1 Id=Fritz (0)
HiSax: AVM driver Rev. 1.6
HiSax: AVM A1 hscx A fifo port 0 already in use
HiSax: Card AVM A1 not installed !
ISDN-subsystem unloaded

/usr/src/Linux/Documentation/Hisax says for pnp I need isapnptools - no
mention of PCI

eng-i4l-faq says pnp cards only work with Hisax and that the kernel
needs to be patched??

Q: Does isdn4linux support PNP (Plug and Play)?
A: Yes, but only with the HiSax driver. With "Plug" alone
   it's unfortunately not yet ready, more work is necessary: (from
   Karsten Keil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
!verbon
        1. HiSax has to be patched into the kernel
           (Attention: use the "-pn" parameter!)
        2. With "make menuconfig" (or "make config") set the following
           kernel options :
             * ISDN = "M" (as module - otherwise PNP doesn't work!)
             * HiSax = "M" (as module - otherwise PNP doesn't work!)
             * 16.3/PNP support
             * EURO support
        3. Compile and install kernel and modules, depmod. (Reboot!)
        4. Read the configuration of the PNP card with:
           "pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf".
        5. The configuration file "/etc/isapnp.conf" has to be set by
hand.
           Set the following values:
             INT0 - the interrupt used by the card
                  (Default for Teles 16.3 PNP: 10)
             IO0, IO1 - the IO ports used by the card
                  (Default for Teles 16.3 PNP: 0x580 and 0x180)
                  (Attention: these values must be 64-bit aligned! Early
                  versions of the PNP cards my suggest incorrect
values!)
        6. Activate the configuration with:
           "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf"
           (must be started at every boot)
        7. Now the HiSax module can be started with:
           "modprobe hisax io=4,<P>,<INT>,<IO0>,<IO1>"
             4     - PNP card
             <P>   - Protocol:
                       2 - for Euro-ISDN (normally)
                       1 - for 1TR6-ISDN (German predecessor to
Euro-ISDN)
             <INT> - the value in etc/isapnp.conf for INT0
             <IO0> - the value in etc/isapnp.conf for IO0
             <IO1> - the value in etc/isapnp.conf for IO1
!verboff

is pci pnp a contradiction in terms? if not what do I do instead of the
isapnptools? go straight to the modprobe which is how I originally
started.  What is the easiest way to perform this bearing in mind I've
never patched/ compiled a kernel.

--

        ___....-----'---'-----....___
         ___'---..._______...---'___

Work: 01473 646703 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal: 01394 460918 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michael W. Ryder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-windows problem
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:01:07 -0800

Are you sure about the video card?  I have a STB Velocity 4400 running
in my machine and it came with 16 MBs of RAM.  Using the 3.3.3.1 X
server and the SVGA server I have no problem running at 1024x768 by
32bpp.  I used XF86Setup to configure everything and it worked fine
without any tweaking.

Michael W. Ryder
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Andi Vontobel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox on linux
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:08:57 +0100

> Try searching at http://lfw.linuxhq.com
This site has moved to http://filewatcher.org/.
Please update your links and bookmarks.

--
By sending me unsolicited commercial/political/religious/MailPush