Linux-Hardware Digest #832, Volume #10           Fri, 23 Jul 99 15:13:32 EDT

Contents:
  Network module missing symbols ("Dennis McEnaney")
  Re: No UDMA on ASUS P5A-B (Peter Stein)
  Re: Linux Hardware Driver for HP7550a plotter?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Advice on accessing CD-ROM changer disks from Samba?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cheap personal laser for Linux (David Bremner)
  Re: 2.2 and Proliant 2500 scsi nondetect ("Tony Platt")
  Re: NCR 53C710 Fast SCSI-2 Controller ("Tony Platt")
  [Q] How to get taper-6.9a to recognize tapes > 2G..... ("John W. Rose")
  Re: CD-rom changer ("Tony Platt")
  Re: RH/Mandrake6.0,Compaq Proliant 1000, RAID problem ("Tony Platt")
  Re: DAT tape device on Mylex DAC960 PCI card ("Tony Platt")
  Re: Which one Laptop is 100% with Linux?
  Problems with SIS 5513 IDE controller and Redhat ("Trigger")
  Re: Diamond SupraExpress 56i v.90 (Roy Grimm)
  Re: Why Build Box?
  Re: Tape Backup Questions ("John W. Rose")
  Re: AOpen ALN325 PCI Ethernet Card (Gary "The Stalker" Anderson)
  CM8338 Soundcard (Sumit)
  Re: Help: Booting up problem. (Matt Pharr)
  Re: Yamaha DS-XG card (Tung-Sheng Lin)
  Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD ("Lars Amsel")

From: "Dennis McEnaney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network module missing symbols
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:09:00 +0100

Dear Sir/Madam

I have installed Slackware v3, RedHat 5.0, SUSE 5, RedHat 5.1 and 4
instances of RedHat 5.2 but I only get the problem with RedHat 5.1/5.2.  I
am currently using RedHat 5.2.

When ever I try to load any of the network card modules, I always get
missing symbols.  In the case where I am using ne2k-pci.o (NE2000 PCI) I try
to insert the 8390.o module first but symbols are always missing.  I one
managed to fix the problem with RedHat 5.1 but I wasn't 100% sure at the
time how and I don't quite remember anyway.  I think it was a combination of
rebuilding the kernel, adding missing module files, using netcfg to from
XWindows to get things to work first and then manually loading modules from
the shell prompt.

One of the symbols was "netif_*".  I noticed (by using ksyms -a) on RedHat 5
that the one and only "netif_*" symbol seemed to belong to the kernel itself
and not one of the loaded modules.  Does "netif_*" modules refer to the
network card itself?  Is it a case that the 5.2 builds I have are missing
files?  Does 5.2 not support (even in some compatible/emulation form) both a
3COM Ethernet XL Combo 10 MB NIC and a RealTek RTL 8029 NIC?  None of what I
thought tried before seemed to work.  It seems that when I installed RedHat
5.1 a lot of module files were missing; when I installed RedHat 5.2 most
modules weren't been loaded but I then discovered that there was no
modules.dep file installed/generated.

If I try to ifup the NICs I'm told "Delayed eth0 initialization".  If I run
modprobe -c I'm told "alias eth0 off" although I've tried to overide this in
the /etc/conf.modules.  I've tried supplying the IO addresses and the IRQs
which were present in the PCI file in /proc.  According to netcfg I've
assigned the NICs IP addresses and any necessary parameters.  Is it a case
I'm using the wrong net modules (tulip.o and ne2k-pci.o/ne.o)?

As you can see I have an inkling of an idea regarding loading modules and
getting NICs working but I completely baffled and would very much appreciate
any help you can provide me with (since I've had no luck with any
Inet/Linux-Web-site search engines).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully (desperate!)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Subject: Re: No UDMA on ASUS P5A-B
Date: 23 Jul 1999 15:45:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ben Twijnstra  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I can't seem to get UDMA to work on my Asus P5A-B MB. I'm running Linux
>2.2.10. I've tried Linux 2.3.7 to no avail. Is there anyone who can show
>me a patch in the ALI driver or something?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>

>Ben Twynstra

www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/

The patch at this site will give you DMA. It supposedly provides UDMA as
well, but extensive testing with my P5A-B shows that it simply will not
work. I've given details to the authors, but never received a positive
response and as far as I can tell no updates that address this problem
have been made to the driver. The good news is that DMA does work reliably
and that is significantly better than PIO.

Peter Stein

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Hardware Driver for HP7550a plotter?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:47:49 +0059

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:  I am looking for a  Linux Hardware Driver (printer server)  for a
: HP7550a plotter.  I have searched the HP site for one without success. I
: have also searched Deja but have not been able to come up with anything.
: Will appreciate hearing form anyone who has configured this plotter
: in Unix or Linux.

I used to use our 7550 with a SPARCstation.  IIRC it has a serial port
and an HPIB port.  It seems to me that under Linux you don't need any
particular printer driver.  Just connect it to a serial port and
configure printcap to treat that port as a serial ASCII only printer.

You should then be able to send it HPGL without any problem.  This
was basically what I did under SunOS, but I admit that I haven't tried
it under Linux.

Of course, if what you actually want it to do is act as a printer so
that you can just send it ASCII or (heaven help us) Postscript and
have some software translate that into HPGL then you may well be out of luck.
I am not aware of any code which will let you do that.

--
Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Advice on accessing CD-ROM changer disks from Samba?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:58:38 +0059

Is the changer SCSI or IDE?

As you probably know, SCSI changers work fine using multiple LUNs.  I have
one shared via Samba and it basically works fine.

There is some thrashing when I new client opens WE, but if another
client has accessed the discs recently then the required data can
still be in the disc buffers and no disc changing is then required.

Serious problems can occur if two clients try to access different slots
at the same time.  SERIOUS thrashing then occurs and I have has this
bring down the entire system.  This may not be a problem under 2.2.x or
on single processor machines, I just don't know.

There is now a kernel patch which allows the different slots of an
ATAPI changer to be mounted simultaneously
(http://unfix.org/projects/changer).  I have not tried this yet
since my ATAPI changer is on my Alpha and I can't get it to compile
on that system.

From: David Bremner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cheap personal laser for Linux
Date: 23 Jul 1999 09:55:26 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> On 22 Jul 1999 20:20:14 GMT, Jeremy Fincher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Lexmark E310.  And it has postscript, too!
> >
> >How significant is this?  I don't know much about printing, so I don't know
> >what kind of difference this will make.
>
>       Just plug it in and it will work, no muss no fuss...
>
> [deletia]

Will it print any reasonable PostScript with the standard 2M memory?
Lexmark asks $150 for 16M of memory. I suppose there may be third party
solutions (Kingston? Dataram?).

db

really: bremner at math dot washington dot edu
sortof: david_bremner at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2 and Proliant 2500 scsi nondetect
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 01:42:26 +1000

is the controller set in the bios as the 1St controller ???

ie the boot controller??

Tony

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: NCR 53C710 Fast SCSI-2 Controller
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 01:52:30 +1000

Mike your problem is this

The Linux NCR driver is written for the PCI bus and NOT the EISA bus card
that you have (proliant 4000 has the NCR controller on the EISA bus)

So I used to say, sorry but this controller won't work PERIOD.

But then I had a guy send me an email saying he had written a driver to
support (specifically Compaqs with NCR / EISA combo) your setup.

His name was Richard, but I can't seem to find the actual link anwhere for
you :-(

Try searching this newsgroup with dejanews or somesuch and you might come
across it.

Hope it helps, and if you still have no luck let me know.as the link ight be
on my work machine

Tony Platt

------------------------------

From: "John W. Rose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: [Q] How to get taper-6.9a to recognize tapes > 2G.....
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:10:30 -0500

Howdy,

How can I get teper-6.9a to recognize a 7G tape?
I've got an HP Colorado 7G/14G compressed IDE drive
and taper sets the tape size to 2G. I cannot change the
tape size to 7G.

Thanx in advance,
JWRose

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-rom changer
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:06:40 +1000

Look for EJECT

It lets you change the disks <grin>

Tony

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH/Mandrake6.0,Compaq Proliant 1000, RAID problem
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:13:35 +1000

The driver that comes with Redhat 6.0 / Mandrake is NOT for the EISA based
controllers. (V0.99)

So either build your own boot disks, or install onto another scsi
controller/hdd and then recompile the kernel with the latter (V1.02) driver

Sorry I can't help further, but I still run 2.0.36 (Mandrake 5.3) on a
Proliant 1000 but I have had no troubles with this system

Uptime of 100 days with 18 users.

Smart + array controller and 5x1.05g drives

If you need more info

go here

http://www.insync.net/~frantzc/cpqarray.html

Tony Platt

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DAT tape device on Mylex DAC960 PCI card
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:25:10 +1000

You can't normally run tape drives or crdoms on RAID controllers

Tony

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Which one Laptop is 100% with Linux?
Date: 23 Jul 1999 16:53:09 GMT

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

------------------------------

From: "Trigger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Problems with SIS 5513 IDE controller and Redhat
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:13:52 GMT

Hi,

I have been trying to get Linux 5.2 and 6.0 installed on my k6-300 with a
motherboard (don't know the make) that has a SIS5513 IDE controller onboard.
I keep getting idle task cannot sleep.  It causes a gpf and the system locks
during the install.
Hardware:
ATI Expression+ 2meg video
Dlink520T 10mbt ethernet
Samsung 1.6gig hdd

Is there a command I can pass to the kernel that will not probe the ide
controller?  Any and all help would be appreciated!

From: Roy Grimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond SupraExpress 56i v.90
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:43:10 -0500

Steve Macko wrote:

> If it connected with minicom, it will work... eventually! I am using a
> Supra Express 56i SP with no problems. When I first tried to set it up,
> there were 2 problems. 1-- the modem worked with minicom but it was SLOW
> to recognize any AT commands. If this happens, it is an irq conflict. 2---
> I couldn't get all the scripts set up, so I called my ISP. They told me to
> use the network config tool in Red Hat. I went to the add interface option
> and it walked me through it....
>
> Steve

Well, I finally got it working on Wednesday.  Someone sent me a script
they use to dial that ISP and it worked.  The recommended process in the
PPP HOW-TO didn't work and still doesn't.  I'm going to look at the
differences one of these days, when I have time.  I was able to download
Netscape 4.6 at about 4.4 K/sec but other situations, newsgroups mostly,
it's really slow (where the windoze running on the same machine runs
quite quickly...)  I remember that there were some threads about slow
PPP connections so I'll go troll deja.com and see what people had to say
to see if I can fix it on my own first.

Thanks for the advice,
Roy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:45:25 -0700

On 23 Jul 1999 07:13:39 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 23 Jul 1999 07:00:15 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:54:57 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>100% increase in speed?  30% increase in speed?  If I only knew how to
>>laugh really loud in email....  It will still be laughable if anyone else
>>says 10% increase in speed.
>     ^^^^
>I meant like 200%.

        A 200% INCREASE added to the relative baseline, which is
        another 100% will yield 300%. If this is going from 1 CPU
        to 2, that would be quite interesting.

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "John W. Rose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape Backup Questions
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:03:31 -0500

Eric Sandvik wrote:

> I'm looking at performing some routine backups of my system.  I'm looking at
> a colorado backup 8 GB tape drive.  Anybody have any problems with it?
>
> Also, what do you recommend I use for backup software, cpio, afio something
> else?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eric

Hey Eric...

I've got an HP Colorado 7G IDE tape drive and am using
taper-6.9a. The only problem I had (...RTFM!) was not copying
the backup/restore utils used by taper into /usr/bin. Other than
that, taper is working fine on manual backups/restores.
Taper does not recognize a 7G tape and defaults to 2G...waiting
for help on this.

You can find taper-6.9a at
metalab.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/Linux/system/backup.

Regards,
JWRose

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary "The Stalker" Anderson)
Subject: Re: AOpen ALN325 PCI Ethernet Card
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:02:41 GMT

I don't know about Linux but in Win 98 the Realtek driver
hindered perfomance badly for me. I would try both & compare
performance. The Realtek seems to be a default driver.

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.990722111143.27099A-100000@apex>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

------------------------------

From: Sumit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CM8338 Soundcard
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:00:59 -0500

 I have downloaded and complied the CM8338 driver for linux and had it
up and running on OpenLinux. I have now switched over to Redhat6.0 but
am finding that the /dev/dsp device is non-functional ie not a squeak
from it.

The driver seems to have initialized the soundcard because the CD music
plays fine

And yes I have turned the DSP channel to maximum!

Any thoughts on what might be happening here?

Thanks

rakhaal

------------------------------

From: Matt Pharr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Help: Booting up problem.
Date: 19 Jul 1999 12:19:04 -0700

"Max Barawid Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have just installed Mandrake 6.0 (Venus).  The installation was
> successful without problem.  I recompiled the kernel to have my pcmcia
> network card and modem card work.  But when I reboot after all the
> procedures of compiling, (e.i. make menuconfig, make dep, make bzImage,
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9-19.1, vi /etc/lilo.conf
> and lilo) the cursor just stays after "Finding module dependencies" and
> stays there and does nothing.  What could be the problem?

I had this exact same problem with Red Hat 6.0.  The problem is that after
you reconfigure the kernel and recompile it, there are still a bunch of old
modules sitting around from the previous kernel build and these confuse the
module system during the boot (e.g. there are SCSI modules sitting around,
but your new kernel doesn't have SCSI support compiled in, so things get
weird fast.)

First, hit control-C after things hang during the boot; the boot should
continue and things should basically work.  Then, go to the modules
directory (/lib/modules/<kernel-version>, I think?  I don't have a Linux
box in front of me now) and move the old <kernel-version> modules directory
somewhere else.  Go and rebuild the kerenel and the modules.  A fresh
<kernel-version> directory should be created and the next time you reboot,
all should be good.

-matt
--
Matt Pharr                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<URL:http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mmp>

------------------------------

From: Tung-Sheng Lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yamaha DS-XG card
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:40:16 -0700

Hi,
I have to correct my previous posting. In fact, my Yamaha DS-XG can't
play midi, WAV files under Linux (Slackware 4.0, kernel 2.2.6). I
thought it works since my CD player works under Linux (that's all I want
in Linux!) which does not mean the sound card works. Anyway, where can I
get the driver? Also, is it possible to make sound card work without
re-compiling kernel (like using /sbin/modprobe or /sbin/insmod)? Thanks!

------------------------------

From: "Lars Amsel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:56:37 +0200

Hi,

i have the video adapter G200. It is possible to display 800x600 on SuSE
6.0. If I try to switch to 1024x768 the X-Server hangs on startup. It doesnt
is to press reset (just like windows).

I'd like the card to run in higher resolution. Does anyone know how?

thanks

la