From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: home web/file server specs?
Date: 27 May 2001 20:35:28 GMT

On Sun, 27 May 2001 20:09:52, "Steven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is SCSI a must for even a low traffic web page, or will IDE RAID do?  I was
> thinking of two 75GB IBM Deskstars with a promise fastrak pci Raid
> controller doing raid 0.

Given that the SCSI drives that I have in that machine are ancient
(Seagate ST32550W and HP C2490) and outperformed by a factor of about
400% by modern IDE drives, I suspect that you could easily use IDE. I
doubt if you need RAID.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: "Ender" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Trying to add RAM to my old Pentium 133MHz machine
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:41:44 GMT

You have the wrong ram if you have PC-133, thats SDRAM and a system as old
as yours would use either EDO or maybe FPM...if you go into the bios setup
it probably tells you if your using EDO or FPM, whichever it is get more of
the same, some boards can use either but you don't want to mix it....EDO is
most common

--

------------------------------

From: Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIP drive
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:11:46 -0700

ferrante wrote:

> Hi!
> I owe an Iomega paralell port 100Mb ZIP drive and I've got some problems
> accessing from Mandrake 8. I've compiled my kernel with SCSI support (disk
> and generic, as modules), the Iomega paralell port drive (old) and paralell
> port support (IEEE 1284 mode).
> When I try to mount it I get a 'I can't find the device' error. I've tried
> with the Iomega tool iw and I get a similar error, but the drive keeps
> mounted! I mean, I can eject the disk (I can't access to their content
> anyway).
> I have a HP Deskjet printer connected through the drive, and it works.
> Any idea?
> Best regards
>
> Ferrante

        I think the info in the Mini-HOWTO is a bit old.  Zip drives are
considered to be ide-floppy drives in the 2.4 kernel.  I have one, and it
works fine even though there's no SCSI support in my kernel (not even
modules).  Is your kernel compiled with "Parallel port IDE device support"
(under "Block devices") and "Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support" (under "IDE,
ATA and ATAPI Block devices", which is in the IDE et al. submenu)?

                                                            Marcus

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.windows.x.kde,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Back up in Linux
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:07:31 GMT

"Johan Kullstam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > > Jerry Wong wrote:
> > >
> > > I used to backup the windows by Ghost software. In linux, can the
command "tar"
> > > be used like Ghost. I means to backup the whole Linux system by tar it
and
> > > restore it when necessary. I have windows98 and two Linux system in my
PC
> > > (Red Hat 7.0 and Mandrake 8.0), so I can tar one of them when running
the other.

> > > Is it possible? Please give me some advice.
> >
> > tar is okay for groups of files, but NOT good for the entire system.
> >
> > learn to use dump, and/or BRU or Arkeia.
>
> dump is not a sufficient solution either.  linus had a few comments
> about this on linux-kernel about a month ago.  it seems that the only
> way to get a clean snapshot of the disk partition is to unmount it
> first and then save.  this is especially true of the journalling
> filesystems.

Tar is actually better than dump at dealing with an active filesystem
but neither will handle the case where multiple files must be saved
as a snapshot of a consistent state.   What we need is kernel support
to freeze the 'real' filesystem while letting the system continue to work
with changes staying in the buffers or paging out to swap if necessary - and
of course, a way for the backup utility to read the frozen copy.

  Les Mikesell

From: Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:18:32 -0700

Rajesh Radhakrishnan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to add to my Pentium 133Mhz machine from 48MB an another PNY
> 128MB RAM which used the PC133 RAM type which connected to  the SIMM
> connector(i think). I was told by CompUSA that the memory can't be
> installed as it didn't interface to my 66MHz Bus.

        Here's the real problem.  All PC133 RAM comes in the form of "DIMMs",
or "double-sided inline memory modules".  A Pentium 133 would use the older
"SIMMs", or "single-sided inline memory modules".  You need SIMMs.  Also, as
someone else pointed out, those SIMMs will probably be FPM or EDO ram.  DIMMs
are usually SDram, which is a different type than what you need.

        You should probably go to a computer store and have them select and
install the memory for you.  That way, it'll get done right, plus if there
are any problems, you can complain to them.

> Any suggestions on what I should check system parameters I need to be
> aware of on my system before buying the memory and what type of memory I
> could buy from the internet.

        When you boot up, is there a point, before Linux starts, where
there's a white text box at the top of the screen which shows a bunch of
information like serial port addresses?  If so, you should see either "FPM"
or "EDO" on a line which says "Type of memory installed" or something like
that.  Whatever it says, get that kind.

                                                            Marcus

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Cianos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise Fastrak Driver Port
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 15:26:22 -0700

Dear Colleagues:

I am unsure if anyone has considered this in the past, but judging by
Promise Inc.'s terribly slow support of the Linux 2.4 kernel and failure to
release drivers that work with it, why don't we port the BSD Fastrak drivers
to Linux and implement it right...

- Stuart

------------------------------

From: C McPherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Resize the swap file?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:08:24 -0400

> Well I wouldn't think so, but I didn't know if Linux had some builtin
> partition utility that would do it. I don't think Partition Magic will
> will it?
>
> Liam
>

> Brian Davis wrote:
> >
> > There's no way to put that reclaimed space in the root partition, is there?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >
> > "Chris Elvidge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Single mode. Swapoff. Fdisk. Delete swap partition. New patritions size
> > > x and 250-x. Make one type 83, other 82. Write and quit. mkswap
> > > /dev/hd{whatever}. Swapon. Reboot. makefs /dev/hd{otherwhatever}.

I just resized my swap partition using partition magic. Worked good.

-Clyde

------------------------------

From: C McPherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIA Apollo Southbridge again
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:28:12 -0400

I ran your tests (don't have 4gigs on linux) so the test was smaller. I
copied 1 gig of small files from promise master to secondary and vice-
versa and no difference. Then I swapped to the VIA controller and did the
same, no difference. I am running with BIOS 1004. I had to install RH 7.1
fresh, after wiping out my linux and windows partitions (the new
motherboard and my disks couldn't agree on the ID).

------------------------------

From: Michael F. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: compaq prosignia 300 network-card problems with tlan.o
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:28:40 +1000

The TLAN module will not work with this unit, and from the top of
memory I can't recall which one I used in a similar system, try
looking at the docs with the linux kernel source. It should point you
in right direction.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.windows.x.kde,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 00:02:50 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Les Mikesell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 27 May 2001 21:07:31 GMT
<n0eQ6.7900$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Johan Kullstam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>command "tar"
>and
>PC
>the other.

>> > tar is okay for groups of files, but NOT good for the entire system.
>> >
>> > learn to use dump, and/or BRU or Arkeia.
>>
>> dump is not a sufficient solution either.  linus had a few comments
>> about this on linux-kernel about a month ago.  it seems that the only
>> way to get a clean snapshot of the disk partition is to unmount it
>> first and then save.  this is especially true of the journalling
>> filesystems.
>
>Tar is actually better than dump at dealing with an active filesystem
>but neither will handle the case where multiple files must be saved
>as a snapshot of a consistent state.   What we need is kernel support
>to freeze the 'real' filesystem while letting the system continue to work
>with changes staying in the buffers or paging out to swap if necessary - and
>of course, a way for the backup utility to read the frozen copy.

I'm surprised this sort of thing hasn't been done yet; it is exactly
analogous to a database snapshot -- the idea being that, once a transaction
is begun, the set of records is consistent and stays consistent
(e.g., edits, deletes, and additions are only seen by the editing program)
until a commit.

(Does anyone know/remember what VMS's ODB2 did?)

Not sure how well NTFS implements this, admittedly -- but Microsoft
has made some noises about their so-called journaling filesystem.
But AFAIK that's all they are: noises.  (Their MFT does seem to make
a lot of noise on my disk drive... :-) )

One nice thing about Linux:  most of the system may be open for read,
but apart from such apps as postgresql (which is important!), it's
not clear that restoring a system backed up while it was running
is going to cause problems.  (Postgresql is a special case, but
not part of the OS.  I don't know offhand whether one can back up
its files while it is working or not, and how well it handles
a restore later.)  Of course, one must be careful to restore the
system on a drive that's not already running another system...

[.sigsnip]

                    [select one]
                    All hail the Invisible Pink Unicorn (pbuh)!
                    You were expecting something relevant down here?
                    Does this message really exist?  Where?
                    This is a pithy statement.  Please watch where you pith.
                    I'm here, you're there, and that's pretty much it.
                    I am, you are, he, she, and it is, but they're not.
                    No protons were harmed during this message.
                    Microsoft.  When it absolutely, positively has to act weird.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: IRQ change
Date: 28 May 2001 00:10:33 GMT

On Sat, 26 May 2001 11:48:50 +0200, alik blochin staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>my ethernet and sound card (on board VIA AC'97) are sharing one irq 11
>how do i change it?  do i have to mess with bios setup or do it
>manually in linux ?

This shouldn't be a problem, as other posters pointed out.  PCI devices
should be able to share IRQs.  If this netcard is ISA, then it can't do
that, but ISA cards should either have jumpers you can fiddle with or a
thing you can run from DOS to change the settings in the card's EEPROM.

If this is a PCI device and you're having problems with IRQ sharing, the
simplest thing to do is move the PCI card to a different slot.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Is Dell workstation GX150 supported by RH 7.0 ?
Date: 28 May 2001 00:10:36 GMT

On Sat, 26 May 2001 04:48:08 +0800, GARNET staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>As titled, I'm installing a Dell GX150 and I just can't get it right!
>CPU PIII 866
>256 MB RAM
>40 GB HDD (Seagate I believe)
>on board NIC(3 COM)
>I've installed smoothly,but it just doesn't boot at all .

More information, please.  Did you install LILO, and if so, where did
you install it?  Do you get the dreaded "LI" error upon boot, or the
endlessly repeating 010101 error, or what?  Did you do as the install
procedure suggested and make a boot floppy?  Can you boot from that?

BTW, that's a pretty sparse list of hardware--what's the IDE chipset,
what's the video card (is this one of those @#$ing i810 machines?),
what's the sound card, is there a LoseModem installed, and was the NIC
recognized?  If you can find these pieces of info, the people in this NG
may be able to save you some pain later on....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: how to set console colors
Date: 28 May 2001 00:10:35 GMT

On 26 May 2001 14:39:12 GMT, Johannes Zellner staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>how can I set the palette for the console colors.
>Either for the normal console or vesa (791 / 792 modes)

setterm -foreground $COLOR
setterm -background $COLOR

$COLOR can be black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, or white ,
and you can add "bright" as a prefix to most of those.  Please note that
any program that uses ncurses to manipulate the screen will overwrite
your setterm settings upon program exit.  HTH,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: TDK 12/10/32 CD-Rewriter and Mandrake Linux 8.0
Date: 28 May 2001 00:10:34 GMT

On Sun, 27 May 2001 02:28:50 GMT, gobold1y staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>I have a TDK 12/10/32 CD-Rewriter in an otherwise standard system: Asus
>This TDK CD-ROM is installed as an IDE device, not SCSI as is the HD. The
>
>My problem is that when I install Mandrake Linux 8.0 it can't use this
>CD-ROM, even to just read CDs. It lists the TDK CD-ROM drive as a SCSI
>drive on chain 1.  Can someone point me to info that tells me how to
>reconfigure the kernel, or how to get linux to at least let me read
>cd-roms (if not record them)?

There should be no need to recompile the kernel!  Obviously, the
device has been recognized and the ide-scsi module is loaded if you can
see the device with "cat /proc/scsi/scsi".  I think your problem is
simply that /dev/cdrom is pointing at /dev/hdc instead of /dev/scd0 .
Try this:

  Insert a data CD
  root@yourbox# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

This should work.  If it did, then do
  ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
and you should be able to access this device normally.  Use
http://groups.google.com/ and search this NG for keyword "CD-R" if you
have further questions; there's a reasonable amount of good advice
there...