Linux-Hardware Digest #115, Volume #11           Fri, 27 Aug 99 19:13:36 EDT

Contents:
  Finding LAN Bottleneck ("Andrew J. Norman")
  CD-ROM tower problem. (Eric Ladner)
  driver for Compex RL100ATX 10/100 pci ethercard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Supported video chipset list? (Ric Williams)
  Inspiron7000 Sound card ("O. Vowinckel")
  Does the monitor matter? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Token Ring 16/4 Speed Problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: One more question (Jesse Singh)
  Re: Linux embedded i386 computer? (PC MB Option) (Bryan Andersen)
  Re: can I tell a winmodem by looking at it? (David C.)
  Re: Graphics card with TV-Out under linux? (Hans Jørgensen)
  Banshee install problem ("Craig O'Neill")
  pcmcia modems at 56k: (Dilandau)
  Re: Printer driver for Lexmark Z11 (Julio Sameiro)
  LCD and CRT display (Penguin Head)
  Voodoo Rush interlaced modes in X ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Matrox G400 (lilo)
  Looking for beginner system builder info (Matt Bucken)
  which digital LCD panel to use with XFree86? (Alex Lewin)
  Re: Windmodem web page (Mircea)
  Re: RH 6.0 and SIS 620 ("Irwan Soetandar")

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Finding LAN Bottleneck
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:22:35 GMT

The situation is as follows:

I'm trying to find the bottleneck in a small (half dozen) analysis node
cluster.  The prime importance of this is to decide which LAN topology and
hardware configuration will give the best response for data analysis.  In
particular it is important to measure the effects of saturating the LAN in
communications with diskless processor nodes.  With this said let me
detail the situation and ask for appropriate information....

Abstract/Question
=====================
For station to station data transfer over a 100BaseTX LAN what is the
maximum sustainable (station memory to station memory) transfer rate using
the FTP protocol?

How can this rate be demonstrated?

Can sustained full saturation of the LAN be demonstrated in station to
station communications?  Detail the method used to show this.

Details
=====================
Section 1: The LAN

The test LAN is a standard Fast Ethernet (100BaseTX) running though a
small (5 port) 100BaseTX Hub with maximum station to station distances of
4 meters (to be reduced eventually).  All cabling is CAT5 and cables have
been verified for correct operation.

Section 2: The NICs

The NICs which I'm trying to analyze for speed bottlenecks are as
follows:

Linksys LNE100TX (Rev 1)
Linksys LNE100TX (Rev 2)
Netgear FA310TX
SohoWare SFA110A

You will note that all of the above cards are DEC Tulip based and either
supported by the current tulip driver, or by modifications from the
manufacture.  Additionally the cards are all inexpensive ($10-$30 retail)

Section 3: Test Procedure

The ideal test procedure would demonstrate LAN saturation in station to
station communications (and be sustainable)  So far the best solution to
the challenge that I have been able to demonstrate is a station to station
file transfer using standard FTP.

Example: consider a disk file "test.img" which has a size on the order of
1gig (remember I want sustained transfer and saturation) residing on
machine A. The file is transfered to disk on machine B.  Rates are
calculated.

Using this method the highest station to station rate I can hit is
3.5Megabytes/sec or only 28% of theoretic.  The method is clearly flawed
since the bottle neck on each side is the I/O associated with disk access
(the initiating machine utilizes an FastWide SCSI bus but the recieving
machine contains a standard PIO Mode 4 IDE drive. While each bus is
capable of delivering the required 12megabytes/sec, it is not clear
whether either device can produce can produce a sustained transfer rate
this high)  In a more extreme example using the same initiating machine
but talking with a machine equipped with a UDMA 33 controller (and a driver
that should produce the requisite rate) a maximum throughput of only
2.4Megabytes/sec (19% of theory) was recorded.

To remove disk I/O on one end the same procedure was used but with the
destination replaced by the "bitbucket" -> /dev/null.

Using the same initiating station a sustained 5.3 Megabytes (42% of
theoretic) could be achieved to all stations regardless of disk
configuration etc....

The problem still is that the disk I/O associated with the initiating
machine is still folded into the test.

Section 4:   Question/Suggestions

The first question that should be asked is "what is the overhead
associated with the FTP protocol as a percentage of the actual
throughput?"

Second how can I facilitate a mem to mem transfer over this protocol (I
did the obvious thing of creating a FIFO attached to a bit generator but
the protocol demands a regular file for it's transfers and thus this will
not work) or is there another method/protocol which could be used for
testing.

As an alternative does anyone know of a good way to deconvolve the effect
of the I/O operations so as to really test the network lines and hardware?

        Andrew J. Norman
Dept. of Physics                        Phone: 757-221-3571
College of William & Mary               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince

------------------------------

From: Eric Ladner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-ROM tower problem.
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:07:41 -0500

I have a 2.2.12 kernel with an AHA-394X card (aic7xxx driver) that has a 7
bay cdrom tobwer plugged into it.  That is the only thing on that
controller.

It seems to work great, but I have the following, really weird, problem:

Say I take my RedHat CD and stick it in drive 0, and that is the only
drive that has a cd in it in the tower:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom0
cd /cdrom/
ls
  (lots of redhat related stuff here)

mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /cdrom1
  # The previous works, even though scd1 is empty
cd /cdrom1
ls
  (lots of redhat related stuff here)

Even if there is a drive in the second cd drive, the above works exactly
the same.  For the whole tower, in fact 'mount /dev/scd[0-7] /cdrom[0-7]
only looks at the first drive.

When the machine boots, it sees all the drives.  Here is the exchange from
dmesg:

Aug 27 12:53:15 lauren kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel
0, id 0, lun 0
Aug 27 12:53:15 lauren kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel
0, id 1, lun 0
Aug 27 12:53:15 lauren kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr2 at scsi0, channel
0, id 2, lun 0
.. similar for 3-7
Aug 27 12:53:15 lauren kernel: (scsi0:0:0:0) Using asynchronous transfers.
Aug 27 12:53:15 lauren kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x writer cd/rw
caddy
Aug 27 12:53:15 lauren kernel: (scsi0:0:1:0) Using asynchronous transfers.
Aug 27 12:53:15 lauren kernel: sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x writer cd/rw
caddy
Aug 27 12:53:15 lauren kernel: (scsi0:0:2:0) Using asynchronous transfers.
Aug 27 12:53:15 lauren kernel: sr2: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x writer cd/rw
caddy
.. similar for 3-7

Any thoughts?

Eric Ladner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: driver for Compex RL100ATX 10/100 pci ethercard
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:57:20 GMT

hi
i have a Compex RL100ATX 10/100 pci ethercard. Is there any driver
available for it under linux? i have tried the ne2k-pci and tulip
drivers but without any success. If a driver exists where can i find its
source?
                Thanx in advance
                                                Bye

From: Ric Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Supported video chipset list?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:18:27 -0400

Anyone know of a comprehensive listing of currently supported AGP
chipsets/cards?
We got the o.k. to spec new workstations (a miracle in itself...) and
want to go for maximum performance and compatibility.
thanks

Ric Williams

From: "O. Vowinckel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Inspiron7000 Sound card
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:25:01 GMT

Hi everybody,

A couple of weeks ago there was mentioned that somebody was going to
create a sound driver for the ESS Maestro Sound card which comes with
the DELL Inspiron 7000 laptops.

Is there any progress. I still cannot get it to work. If I use loadlin
from Windows the soundcard plays CDs etc. but I cannot use any of the
multimedia programs to change the volume.

Any ideas ?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Does the monitor matter?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:12:33 GMT

Hi all,
Ok this is a very newbie question.  I'm just not very familiar with
how hardware works.  I am buying a machine that uses the Diamond
Viper 16MB TNT AGP card that is supported by Red Hat 6.0  My question
is, does the type of monitor matter.  i.e. if I get a Trinitron 1600HS
or a Trinitron 1000HS or a Dell P780, will it affect the working
of my operating system.  As far as my limited knowledge of the
working of the hardware goes it should not, because all the OS cares
about is the video card, if it can talk too the video card, the
video card should be able to talk to the monitor that it works with.
Am I correct?
Sorry if this is a little basic for someone with more depth of
knowledge.
Many Thanks,

Subuddh

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Token Ring 16/4 Speed Problem
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:29:58 GMT

Yep, you need to use lanaid to set the ring speed.  ibmtr gets its
information from the card, i.e. ringspeed or autosense mode. It doesn't
allow you to specify the ringspeed as a parameter, although the pci
driver (olympic) does. For the latest isa cards, this is probably a
limit of the driver rather than the card.

Mike

From: Jesse Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: One more question
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:01:48 -0700

Michael Reep wrote:
I think that FIPS would do nicely.  Don't know about W98 though. Plus FIPS
is already on your CD.

------------------------------

From: Bryan Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux embedded i386 computer? (PC MB Option)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:55:48 +0000

Wim Lewis wrote:
> (Another option would be to get a motherboard out of an old 486 PC.
> It'd be bigger and probably have more power draw, but on the other
> hand it would be cheap or free.)

I'm currently building a bot base using a PC motherboard.  Depending
on your requirements, using a PC motherboard will really increase the
size and weight of your bot.  One of the major factors is the power
supply for both Amps and voltages needed, and in the size of the
battery pack needed.  With the added size, and weight, you also have
to beef up your drive train.  Another thing is if you chose to use
DC input PC power supplies, you are limited to 24VDC and 48VDC, and
they cost $300-400 new.  I haven't found a 12VDC input PC power
supply yet, but have seen some general power supplies that will do.
The other option is to roll your own power supply either by combining
other power supplies, or from the ground up.  On the other hand most
SBCs are designed to operate from only 5VDC.  This greatly simplifies
the power supply.

I went with a PC MB because I have them laying around, and I
eventually wish to do heavy video processing, and figure that the
video hardware will be cheaper, and more likely to be compatible with
Linux.  I know it would be better to use something like a SBC with
PC104+ especially from a vibration stand point, but I'm trading off
reliability in favor of ease of finding parts with existing driver
software.

I chose to use a 48VDC battery pack because the telcom industry is
using it heavily.  This will allow me to go and buy a stock power
supply when I put an ATX motherboard in my bot.  The robot will get
my main system's MB after I upgrade it next.

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   http://softail.visi.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: can I tell a winmodem by looking at it?
Date: 27 Aug 1999 17:34:26 -0400

"Wilbur Killebrew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> For all practical purposes, if it is a PCI or ISA/EISA board, there is
> little chance of it being anything but a winmodem.

For PCI.  If it's an ISA card, is is definitely _NOT_ a winmodem.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Jørgensen)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Subject: Re: Graphics card with TV-Out under linux?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:49:51 +0300

Dermot Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I looking for a SVGA card with a TV-Out connector for a new linux box
>I'm building.
>The ideal card would:
>- be supported by the framebuffer drivers (VESA 2.0, ATI, Matrox, etc).

Matrox Gsomething

>- be able to send the same display to both the VGA and TV-out ports.

Donno about that one .. but i dont think so.

>- be able to work with no VGA monitor attached (i.e. on boot display to
>the TV-Out).

Donno about that one either.

>- optionally, be able to select from software which of the ports (VGA
>and TV-Out) the display appears on.
>Does anyone have any recommendation on suitable cards?

Matrox-cards are the best in linux.
I don't think you can find any cards with a working TV-out.

--
Hans Jørgensen - Boris - #Linux.dk & #Danmark on the Undernet
Homepage -> http://boris.n3.net

------------------------------

From: "Craig O'Neill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Banshee install problem
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:29:38 -0230

Can someone give me detailed instruction on how to make Mandrake linux 6.0
use this server.  i am very new to linux and need someone to detail to me
how to install the drivers or which drivers i need per say.  Please help
me.. Please!

From: Dilandau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pcmcia modems at 56k:
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:18:42 -0700

        Hi.  I am looking for non-winmodems for a
laptop.  Does anyone have a reliable source for what
modems are and are not winmodems in pcmcia form?

                                thanks,

                        -the guy who has been searching
the net and calling every other company trying to find
a f'ing modem that will work with his otherwise sweet
linux laptop.  DIE DIE DIE! scum winmodems.

------------------------------

From: Julio Sameiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer driver for Lexmark Z11
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:11:47 +0100

try
http://bimbo.fjfi.cvut.cz/~paluch/

------------------------------

From: Penguin Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: LCD and CRT display
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:03:50 GMT

Hi all

I am having a problem bringing X up on my CRT. I have a Laptop with a 4
meg S3 card and 14.1 LCD display. I have RH 6.0. The LCD/CRT option is
enabled in the bios.
the initial boot process shows up on both the CRT and the LCD but when X
starts it shows up only on the LCD. I used the line vga=789 in lilo but
that made no difference except make it longer to start x.
Has anyone had such a problem? What was the fix?

TIA
Penguin Head

--
NT, now approaching 23x6 availability

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Voodoo Rush interlaced modes in X
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:31:46 GMT

Hello all,

Recently, I got hold of a Voodoo Rush (AT3D
chipset). In combination with my monitor, I'd like
to put it into 1024x768 interlaced under X.

I downloaded and tweaked the XF86_SVGA server, but
can't get the mode right. Default RH6.0
precompiled X server gives me only the upper half
of the screen, stretched over my entire monitor.

Whatever I try, I can not get it right. Anybody
tried and had more luck (or knows it is
impossible?)

Thanks,
Kero.

PS: any other newsgroup I could try?

From: lilo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Matrox G400
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:56:14 -0700

Roger Kemp wrote:

> I can't comment on the multi-monitor feature, but I am currently using
> a G400 on my RH6.0 system.  You will need XFree86 version 3.3.4 or
> later.  Older versions don't recognize the card.  Unfortunately, XFree
> only gives me the option of specifying up to 16MB of video RAM, but my
> card has 32MB.  I'm hoping that subsequent versions of XFree will allow
> for this.

Roger, just FYI, X probes most modern cards to check just how much
memory they have. If it made you feel any better you could edit your
XF86Config file to reflect that you have 32M of ram, but most XF86Config
files these days have that commented out anyway, because of the afore
mentioned probing when X starts.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Bucken)
Subject: Looking for beginner system builder info
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:48:06 GMT

Hey,

I'm planning on building a system for win9?/Linux in the next few
months, but I've got a lot to learn about hardware.  I've picked up
some stuff by lurking on this news group, but would greatly appreciate
it if someone could direct me to a good resource for beginner pc
hardware info (focused on Linux woudl be great).

My local Library does not seem to have anything current and I have had
poor results trying to find something on the web that is up to date.

From: Alex Lewin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: which digital LCD panel to use with XFree86?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:23:43 GMT

Hi,

I'd like to get a digital LCD panel for my computer running XFree86.
I'm having trouble figuring out which ones are actually compatible.
I know the Number Nine/Silicon Graphics pair, but it's expensive
($2k+).

Anyone have any experience using digital panels with XFree86,
whether linux, freebsd or whatever?

Thanks!
Alex

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windmodem web page
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:06:37 -0400

Try http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

MST

From: "Irwan Soetandar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: RH 6.0 and SIS 620
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:40:01 -0700

I downloaded the software from http://www.sis.com.tw
and saved it in dos format floppy, but I dont know to retrieve and copy it
from dos format into linux format.
Any help would be appreciate.
Thanks