Subject: Re: Thoughts on this configuration?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 03:19:48 GMT

no-one@all (no one) writes:

> Tyan SMP P3 Tiger 133 S1834 motherboard                       160
> ATX 6 drive bay case with 250W power supply                    30

My SMP motherboard, and the one I had before it, required at least a
300W power supply.  One or two of my seven drives would periodically
do a hardware reset from inadequate power, so if you plan to fill that
case, I'd recommend 400W.

Note also that driving a P/S at 100% capacity all the time is a sure
way to destroy it.  Also, of course, it creates more heat.

> 2 each 256MB 72 bit PC/100 SDRAM                              600

Good Lord.

I've got 256MB, and would you believe me if I told you that no OS I
have installed ever uses even 80% of that?

> 2 each 600mhz P3 processors (slot 1 type SECC2)               440
> 2 each Maxtor EIDE 18GB fixed disk                                    220

Get SCSI disks.  Of course, a 9.1GB SCSI hard drive costs $220, and
you've listed $110 apiece for 18GB... but you'll truly find the
performance increase remarkable.

> IDE cd-rom reader/burner                                              200
> Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card                                              175

Now, see, why do you have all IDE devices, but a nice SCSI controller?

Slow IDE devices are real killers.  I know lots of people with IDE
burners who can't do anything else with their computers while burning
a CD or the buffer underflows and their systems crash.  Granted,
that's under Windows and not Linux, but...

> 2X AGP graphics card (S3 chipset with 8MB)                            300

Blech.  What's the point to getting an AGP card if you don't get a
good one?  Buy a Voodoo, if that's your thing, but I'd really
recommend a GeForce.  Which, by the way, will cost you far less than
$300.

> 20 inch Vision Master 1600x1200 monitor                    1000

Just my opinion, but I'd never buy a monitor >17" simply because it
takes up too much space.  Also bear in mind that the monitor will
probably weigh over 60lbs.  If you're not going to move it a lot,
and you know you've got a desk that's big enough, fine.  But I move my
monitor every six months or so; have a hard time cramming it onto the
desks I get issued; and get really sick of carrying the damn thing up
four flights of stairs every time.

> I'm wondering whether I can gather the needed parts within the price range
> I've listed and I need to make sure that the parts I've listed are all
> compatible.  Is there anything important that I've forgotten to list?

Yeah, all your SCSI devices.

Seriously, though, if you've got the bucks, consider a UPS as well.
With your configuration, you'll need a big one, though, and be sure
not to buy less than what you need.  I bought a 500V one, which
would've been great for a desktop system, but is woefully inadequate
for what is now a rack-mount file server.  (I didn't know it was going
to be one of those when I bought the UPS...)

> Is anyone running a similar configuration and can you give me any idea
> about performance or noted problems?

I was running a similar configuration until very recently.  Biggest
problems were inadequate power supply (300W), insufficient real estate
(mid-tower), overheating, and too many IDE drives.  If I could do it
again, I'd get one massive IDE drive and a bunch of smaller SCSI
drives.  In fact, that's exactly what I'm planning to do.

Moving to a decent case has solved the P/S, real estate, and
overheating problems.  Getting a real RAID solution in place will take
care of the IDE problem.

My advice to you is to plan for the future.  If you buy a completely
new computer system every two or three years, you don't have to - but
if your computers are constantly going through a series of piecemeal
upgrades, then you need to leave a lot of room to expand.

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

non-combatant, n.  A dead Quaker.
        - Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

------------------------------

From: Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI XPert 99/2000 Graphics Adapter & Linux
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:51:31 -0400

"Viola J. Riggle" wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to get the ATI XPert 99/2000 Graphics
> card (Mach64
> chipset)

This video card use 128 chip set not Mech 64.

You can find more info at www.xfree.org

You can either upgrade to XFree 3.3.6 or 4.0. Both support this card.
However, I haven't try either so I can not give you more info.

Good luck.

Alex.

> ATI's web page was not very helpful.  Thanks!

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
http://www.seti.org/

Registered with the Linux Counter. ID# 175126
http://counter.li.org/index.html

------------------------------

From: David Masters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Module Parameters for pctel.o HSP Modem Driver
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:17:03 +0930

Hi.

I have successfully downloaded, linked and installed the PCTel HSP modem
driver and it loads up correctly.

Only problem is that it doesn't seem to be able to detect a dial tone,
which is probably because the driver's country selection is incorrect (I
am in Australia). The README that comes with the driver talks about
setting the country in module parameters, but being a little new to
Linux I am not sure how this is done. It says that the module parameter
I need to use is "country_sel  8".

Can someone please tell me how to pass the module parameter to the
pctel.o module. I assume an entry needs to be made in the
/etc/conf.modules file, but I am not sure of the syntax.

I am running RedHat 6.2.

Thanks,

David

------------------------------

From: Daniel Woodard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:27:26 GMT

no one wrote:

> 2 each Maxtor EIDE 18GB fixed disk                              220
> IDE cd-rom reader/burner                                                200
> Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card                                                175
> 2X AGP graphics card (S3 chipset with 8MB)                      300

merely my opinion...

get 2 IBM Deskstar GXP 30GB ($400)
3ware ATA RAID card ($110)

I just bought a Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 32MB for $90 on e-bay. There's tons of them.
($90)

------------------------------

From: "heartwave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 486 for Linux and X?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:35:41 +0800

If adding sram is not possible for some outdated ram modules, can flash pc
card be used as sram?

Alex
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: 86040175@$MAILHOST (Kit-pui Wong)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to make a bootable Linux CD ?
Date: 24 Jun 2000 02:40:26 GMT

Got these all !
Thanks all of you for so many quick responses
with great ideas !!

hac ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: "Matthew Hager S." wrote:
: >
: > Here's the pertinant information from the CD-Writing HOWTO:
: > http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.11
: >
: > It mentions something about a 1.44mb boot image, get the information on
: > that here:
: > http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html
: >
: > Remember to -always- check the HOWTOS, there's ALOT of information that
: > I've found useful there.
: >
: You create a bootable floppy, copy it to an image file, and us the "-b
: imagefile" option to mkisofs to create the CD image.  The normal "-d
: data" track can contain whatever additional filesystem that you want
: the floppy to mount.

: There is a package which makes this easy to build a recovery disk.
: Look for "Craig's Recovery CD":

: http://annex.com/craig/crcd.htm

: I've used it, it works.  Runs out of RAMdisk.  Very handy when you
: want to rearrange partitions, or other occasions when you don't want
: to have open files on the hard disks.  Copying /proc and /dev works
: much better when you aren't running using the ones you are trying to
: copy.

: A CD-RW beats the hell out of trying cram what you need into a
: floppy.  I've used and liked tomsrtbt for years, but you don't need to
: jump through as many hoops when you have 650MB to work with.  Keep the
: RAMdisk part small, and remember that most directories can be mounted
: read-only.  Good firewall potential here.

: CD's also boot faster than floppies.

: --
: Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Douglas W. Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: U160SCSI in redhat???
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:49:28 GMT

I hope some kind person out there can pinpoint
a few likely causes for this problem. I am
using Quantum Atlas 10K drives, which should
be 160MB/sec capable (one system has two 18GB
drives, and one uses two 36GB). The bios for
my Supermicro PIIIDM3 mainboard recognizes
the drives and the board's U160 Adaptec
controller chipset.

The problem is that when I use my kickstart file
 to load Redhat 6.2,I end up with a system that
only gets a data transfer rate of 80MB/sec.

I have seen these drives operating at 160 on other
systems, but I am not sure how that Redhat
installation was done. I believe that my kickstart
file is not installing the correct drivers for the
chipset, But when I installed Suse 6.4 and Redhat
6.2 (manually), I got the same result: 80MB/sec.
Perhaps the U160 is not being autodetected and the
U2 SCSI is autoloaded. Do you suspect the driver,
a hardware conflict, or should I be looking at
something else entirely?

Please send any replies to me, as well as the
newsgroup - I am not sure I can find a specific
thread in such a busy group. Thanks for whatever
help you can provide!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 3Com 5610 on Com5
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:59:06 GMT

Running Mandrake 7
 I have a 3Com 5610 ( USR PCI faxmodem )which is definitely compatible
with Linux. I have searched through some of the old usenet messages on
this topic, but haven't gotten a thorough explanation on how to make
this modem work, because it ( according to Windows ) is on Com5. Using
Kppp I can't get it to work.
The main responses to this problem involve 2 operations : IRQ and PnP
in the BIOS, and setserial in the kernel or within linux somewhere. I
went into my Bios and found nothing related to IRQ or PnP ( it
said "Phoenix BIOS ).

Any ideas?
THanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "jp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sabine lover
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:32:41 +0200

Cyberclems avant la belle a Quake contre JM....

Moi: "tu te chie dessus?"
Cyberclems : "T'es ouf je me concentre, je pense a sabine..."

Résultat il a gagne

C beau l'amour...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,al.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.misc
Subject: Re: PPP and Winmodem
Date: 26 Jun 2000 05:28:47 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> JoeB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Hello,

]I have got a winmodem on my laptop. I have downloaded the driver
]"ltmodem"
]and I can get it to dial out with the tool that comes with it. However,
]I do not know
]how to configure PPP or get it to connect to the internet. Since this is
]a WINMODEM,
]how do I create a /dev/modem device for this and how do I configure PPP.

Don't bother. /dev/modem is just a pain and helps nothing. Use
/dev/ttyS14 I believe it is

For help in setting up ppp, see
       http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

------------------------------

From: Leon Garde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone still familiar with EISA systems?
Date: 26 Jun 2000 15:57:27 EST

Doug Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is not a linux question,
why did you post it here?
linux people might be too knew to know about or own eisa
equipment.

Go over to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware ???

> Hoping someone has some knowledge of the long-gone EISA systems.

yes well you are really hoping somone has the bootable configuration floppy
for that system of yours .

> "ID Information Mismatch for Slot 2"
> "Invalid EISA configuration information - please run the configuration
> utility"

> The "configuration utility" is /not/ the BIOS setup utility (I got
> other errors referring to the "SETUP Program" -- the BIOS setup, which
> I resolved) does anyone have any ideas what/where this "configuration
> utility" is?

its a program on a floppy disk.
you WILL  need it.

> Needless to say, I have *no* software relating to the
> machine.

you might also need the files for some cards;
but standard equipment in the digital system should be on the
digital boot floppy.

> The only web references to Digital hardware that I've found lead to
> Compaq -- were they bought out? I spent an hour at the Compaq site,
> found a complete description of the machine (DECpc 466 MTE) but no help
> with configuration.

well www.compaq.com might have it,
look again..

or look for it elsewhere.

leon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kok Wei Kit)
Subject: Newbie needs help in installing LT winmodem
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 06:06:59 GMT

hi all,
i'm a newbie, just installed mandrake into my system.
need to ask a few questions.
1. how do i install my modem (Lucent Winmodem 56k) to my linux system?

Please go easy on me, i'm really new....
thanks a million,
wei kit

------------------------------

From: Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP, Linux, and tape drives :-(
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:12:41 +1200

SCSI drives are the thing.

I've got:

a Tandberg 525MB 1/2" that worked fine. It's practically an antique.
a Seagate STD28000N 4/8GB DAT (DDS2) that Linux likes
an HP DDS 2/4GB drive from a DG AViiON5500 that works too.

It's usually the software that's crappy. Most tape drivers and the backup
software are real "quirky". Tapes just
seem to be like that. I've had hours of entertainment with the AViiON and
with Stratus Continuum boxes...

Any Seagate/HP SCSI DAT drive should work OK as long as it isn't anything odd
(ie differential SCSI)

Allan.

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 56k modem
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:03:21 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:49:43 +0800, coleung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Does linux support 56k modem? It support V.90 or K56flex
>
> Linux support serial ports.  You can put any modem you want at the other
> end.  It has to actually be a modem, not some braindead winmodem.

Some braindead winmodems are now Linux-enabled by their manufacturers.

As for 56k modems, Linux supports anything at any speed that can be
connected to or run via a serial port. I'm running a Wisecom
Accelerator Pro 56K DFV internal modem (model WS-5614JS3) off of my
Linux system and it runs faster than when it's run by Win95.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hp colorado eide travan tape drive
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:57:36 -0700

It seems to work equally well (RH6.2 base, 2.2.14 kernel) in either native
ATAPI:
hdb: HP COLORADO 20GB, ATAPI TAPE drive
ide-tape: hdb <-> ht0: HP COLORADO 20GB rev 4.01
ide-tape: hdb: overriding capabilities->speed (assuming 950KB/sec)
ide-tape: hdb: overriding capabilities->max_speed (assuming 950KB/sec)
ide-tape: hdb <-> ht0: 950KBps, 13*32kB buffer, 9248kB pipeline, 60ms tDSC,
DMA
link /dev/tape -> /dev/nht0

or SCSI emulation mode:
hdb: HP COLORADO 20GB, ATAPI TAPE drive
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 2 hosts.
  Vendor: HP        Model: COLORADO 20GB     Rev: 4.01
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
link /dev/tape -> /dev/nst0

(substitute hd? and st? as needed).  I was getting infrequent device
timeouts in both modes, but have not yet tried it for 2.2.16/17pre kernels.

For tar* to tape:
/bin/tar c --totals --ignore-failed-read -lp -b 32 -f /dev/tape -g
<log_file> -V "<label>" <partition>

for dump:
/sbin/dump -0au -b 16 -d 100400 -f /dev/tape -L "16_char_label" <partition>

To tell what tape block:
mt -f /dev/tape tell

To go to a particular block:
mt -f /dev/tape seek

Misc. notes:
- Max write throughput with dump, dd or tar is ~930KB/s for a native ext2
filesystem.
- Make sure mt is recent (0.5b or later).

* GNUtar extensions allow an effective full + incremental backup ala dump.
This is an easy and relatively uncomplicated way to backup vfat, nfs or
native ext2 partitions.

chad pauli wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A friend of mine will be buying a tape drive for his Linux box.
> He is looking at the HP 10/20 Travan technology drive that is eide
> interface.
> Is anyone using this under Linux? He is going to be running Red Hat 6.2.
>
> How was the install, or anything special needed to get it running?
> Any suggestion as to what X-windows utility or program to use for backup
> or command line utility?
>
> chad pauli

timothymoore
   bigfoot
     com

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Integrated Audio on new Motherboard
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:55:18 -0700

"Chris Rankin" <au.zipworld.com@{no.spam}rankinc> wrote in message
news:8j3ltm$k9k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Wolfgang Fritz wrote:
> > AC97 is no sound chip but a specification (Audio Codec 97). There are
> > different chips supporting this standard; some of them using the es1371
> > driver.
>
> ... which explains why I didn't find anything about AC97 - I was looking
> in the wrong place :-) !
>
> > What does the command lspci (under root) show?
>
> I which I could tell you ... but I won't receive this motherboard for
> another 2 weeks (at least). I'm not buying this board for the sound
> chip, but since I have it I should use it, if you see what I mean.
> The board is a Supermicro PIIIDME.

So the real question is: What sound chipset is used on the PIIIDME?

From: Art Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need dual scsi2 card advice
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:05:07 -0700

You won't go wrong with a Tekram DC-390U2W 15 devices, Scsi 2,
SCSI U2W, 80 MB/sec. See Linux Hardware Database, SCSI
Controllers,
Tekram DC-390U2W  at;
http://lhd.datapower.com/
Art Wagner