Linux-Hardware Digest #248, Volume #11           Tue, 14 Sep 99 02:13:26 EDT

Contents:
  Re: HP 722c Printer (Mircea)
  Re: AMD K6-2 ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: sharing monitor between pcs (Johan Kullstam)
  Video Capture Support (Jose Castro)
  Anybody knows about Genius ColorPage-Vivid Pro II scanner? (Antonio Contreras)
  Re: MODEM SCHMODEM. Help!! (Johan Kullstam)
  still can't get ALSA v0.4.1a to work! (Bill Bug)
  Re: Any Non-Booting SCSI-2 Cards. (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Creative 3D Banshee AGP 16 - Can't get setup. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 13GB Hard Drive problems -- appears much smaller... ("Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz")
  Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  New Linux Bulletin Board (LINUX BULLETIN BOARD)
  Re: FREE EAST TIMOR!!! STOP THE KILLING!!! (Spike!)
  anyoen tried a BE6? (Wahlau-eh the News-Man)
  Re: Audio CD problems (Spike!)
  Dell Optiplex GX1 Sound under RH6 ? (Niann Shiang)
  Adding 2nd Network Interface card ("Saeid Banaei")
  Modem Question. ("Dan Price")
  need help with epson 440 (Miguel Reina)
  Re: zImage (Larry Ozarow)
  modem for sale (Dan Chirica)
  Re: anyoen tried a BE6? ("David St.Clair")

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP 722c Printer
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:32:15 -0400

"Louis A. Weyrich" wrote:

> I know this question must get asked quit often, but has anyone had any luck
> getting their HP 722C Printer working.
>
> Louis Weyrich
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It's one of those pieces of hardware with proprietary interfaces.
There's limited support for using it (i.e B/W only). Chech out
http://www.httptech.com/ppa/

MST

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:37:49 -0500

ISTANBULLU Oktay wrote:

> I have linux running on AMD-K6-2 processor (333 MHz) and I'm not really
> satisfied.
> I have some fatal Error 11 while compiling the kernel or during any
> other long comilation. I 'd prefer having any other processor, even
> slower, without this problem.

Very possibly a cooling problem.  My K6-III-450 gave the same problem under
the same circumstances, and I fixed it by putting in a larger CPU fan and
mounting it with thermal grease.

For a quick test, open your case and put a room fan blowing into it straight
at the CPU at high speed, and then try a kernel compilation.

If cooling turns out not to be the problem, read up on other possibilities
at http://www.BitWizard.nl/sig11/

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

Subject: Re: sharing monitor between pcs
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Sep 1999 22:07:04 -0400

john connolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a growing group pf pcs but only one good monitor. Is there a
> cheap switch box
> available which allows two (or more) pcs to be hooked up to one
> monitor?

yes!  i have a linksys kvm100sk 2-port switch kit.  it was about $80
with S&H from <URL:http://www.buy.com/>.  it comes complete with
cables.  (ps/2 mouse works great.  serial mouse only does 2 button.)

there are four-way and eight-way switch boxen out there but they cost
more.  should you actually have more than two computers, you will want
one of the multi-way jobs as it will be cheaper and easier than
chaining a bunch of 2-ways.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Jose Castro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video Capture Support
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:51:15 -0400

I have a Canopus Total 3d with video capture.
Is there anything in linux that will allow me to capture video
through the canopus video card?

MS Windows provide some architecture , I think is called video for
windows(vfw) and now they are going to have something new.  Anyway,
is there anything similar in Linux???

From: Antonio Contreras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anybody knows about Genius ColorPage-Vivid Pro II scanner?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:05:52 +0000

I have got a Genius ColorPage (Vivid Pro II), and I need to know if I
can use it on Linux.
        Thanks.

Antonio Contreras: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: MODEM SCHMODEM. Help!!
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Sep 1999 22:11:43 -0400

Brent R Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The standard PC addresses and irq's are:
>
> COM1    3f8    irq4
> COM2    2f8    irq3
> COM3    3e8    irq4
> COM4    2e8    irq3
>
> I have a mouse on COM1, my COM2 is open and a modem
> is ADDRESS 3e8 but manually set to irq5 for Linux (so as to not
> bother the device on COM2).

but since irq's generally cannot be shared for a uart, the standard
com3 and com4 configuarations are somewhat worthless.  the whole com-x
idea is a ms-dos-ism anyway.  in any event, linux cares not for these
names.

dev    irq ioport
ttyS0    4    3f8
ttyS1    3    2f8

for more serial devices, all bets are off.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Bill Bug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: still can't get ALSA v0.4.1a to work!
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:19:27 GMT

Hi All,

Well, I gave up and just copied the isapnp.h file to the ../include
directory.  Now, I was able 'make install.'  All seemed to go fine - at
least that's the way it appeared to my ignorant eye.  A few 'parameters
(were) not used.'

I was able to run create the various sound devices in '/dev' and modify
the conf.modules - I believe I did this correctly.  I tried to then add
the required module's dependencies to the modules.dep file via 'depmod
<module.o>.'  Unfortunately, this command reported several 'unresolved
symbols.'  A vain attempt at running 'modprobe <module.o>' merely
resulted in the error report: 'unresolved dependencies.'

Help!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions?  My knowledge of 'conf.modules,'
'depmod,' and 'modprobe' is pretty minimal, but I think I'm doing this
correctly.  My most likely error was that something about  'make' was
way off, but what?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Any Non-Booting SCSI-2 Cards.
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:10:02 GMT

just me ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello,
:
:       I'm want to use my Symbios 20810 (pci) which is based on the
: 53C3810 chip in a Linux Box. I can't find it on the Redhat list.
:       Is there another one supported? If not I'll guess a Buslogic
: would be good, but which one?

If you have (from /proc/pci):

        SCSI storage controller: NCR 53c810 (rev 18).

Then it works just fine.  Some motherboards have BIOS support for this SCSI
controller built-in.  With the other motherboards, just use a boot floppy.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Creative 3D Banshee AGP 16 - Can't get setup.
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 02:16:40 GMT

Hello,
   I have been trying to get my Creative 3D Banshee 3D AGP 16eg video
card to work on linux. Through research I have found out that its not
completely compatiable with linux (that's my luck). I have already
tried: http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html
   And manually configuring XF86Config (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11) but neither
worked.
   So far I can get Gnome and KDE (<- I think) in 320x200 mode, but I
would really like a higher screen res. Do you have any suggestions about
how I might be able to fix this?

Thank You,
Cody P.

(Again, Thank You)

From: "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 13GB Hard Drive problems -- appears much smaller...
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:05:27 -0400

"William B. Cattell" wrote:

> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 25228.
> There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
> and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Yes and no. If you're running with LBA, which all modern IDE controllers
support, then the number of logical cylinders may still be less than
1024. For OS/2, there's also the question of FAT versus HPFS and the
exact service level. OS/2 does support logical drives and partitions
larger than 10 GB. And BTW, just because the partition is less than 1024
cylinders doesn't mean that it will be useable; you might have to keep
the entire thing below 1024. The Devil is in the details.

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague
Date: 13 Sep 1999 22:25:51 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware David C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the info, but your reply isn't really relevant to my comment.

> The Rage-128 is still not directly supported.
eh...urh... if it's not supported, then i'm wondering how the signals come
from my Rage Fury to my monitor under _accelerated_ X in that surprising
high quality, that i am able to read this message in an xterm in Truecolor
at 1152x864 resolution ? ;-)

So ..once and for all: the Ati Rage Fury IS supported from Linux, maybe
not yet from XFree directly. But just download the _free_ _available_
_accelerated_ Xserver from www.suse.de
and get happy....

Gretinx,
        fIPS

------------------------------

From: LINUX BULLETIN BOARD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New Linux Bulletin Board
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:16:02 -0800

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM:
WM. Baker Associates

On 09/13/99 WM. Baker Associates launched the
Linux Bulletin Board at:

http://www.w-b-a.com/linux.html

This new Linux Bulletin Board provides a forum for
visitors to ask questions, learn, and share ideas about
Linux related issues and events.

Bulletin Board Categories include:

Linux Technical Information
Linux News, Events & Publications
Linux Investment Information

We invite to visit this new online Linux
resource.

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FREE EAST TIMOR!!! STOP THE KILLING!!!
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:07:34 +0100

And verily, didst Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
>  LE> I love the response "Well if you care so much, go over there and
>  LE> fight," like a three-year-old. I wasn't asking for the US to go
>  LE> in and fight. No one expects them to. This is Asia, and there are
>  LE> no communists, so, like, who cares?

> No communists?  What do you call 2/3rds of these little tin horn
> dictators that run some of these places we read/hear about in the news?

Errr... Do you KNOW what communism is?
*hint* China and the USSR abandoned communism decades before the fall of the
Berlin wall...

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |                                                |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|             in            | suck is probably the day they start making     |
|      Computer Science     | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: #[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wahlau-eh the News-Man)
Crossposted-To: jaring.os.linux
Subject: anyoen tried a BE6?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:30:12 GMT

dear all,

have anyone tried using a BE6 with linux? any problem encountered
especially the ATA66 thingy?

regards,
wahlau-eh...

 WWWWW   email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
@ > o @  Hpage:
 | ^ |   http://wahlau.cjb.net/
  \V/
   ~ ... keyboard error or not found.Press <F1> to continue...

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Audio CD problems
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:01:37 +0100

And verily, didst Jon M. Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> There is an audio cable running between the soundcard and the CD-ROM
> drive. The same drive plays CDs under Windows 98.

> I've got the system event sounds working. I also figured out that the
> above messages in /var/log/messages also only appear when one specific
> CD player is run on Linux. They do not appear on the other CD players
> included in Linux.

One last thing I can think of...
Install Xmixer. This allows you to set the volume levels for all the various
audio devices...

It's possible that the volume level might be right down in the mixer, or
something similar...

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |                                                |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"         |
|             in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!!|
|      Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                  |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Niann Shiang)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Dell Optiplex GX1 Sound under RH6 ?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:04:18 GMT

What is the kind of sound card in Dell OptiPlex GX1 ?  I think the
audio driver is Crystall 4xxx under win95.  Does it mean Crsytall 4xxx
pnp card ?  I tried to recompile kernel and got an error message
indicating kernel too big.  Any suggestion ? Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Saeid Banaei" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adding 2nd Network Interface card
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:23:19 GMT

Hi All,

Does anybody know how to add the 2nd NIC to redhat 6.0.

Thanks,

Saeed.

------------------------------

From: "Dan Price" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Question.
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:24:06 -0700

    Ok, Dan gives up ! I bought a Creative Labs Modem blaster model DI5601
because it was reported to work under a website listed in this group. I set
it to non PNP mode using the jumpers and Com 2 irq 3 (also using the
jumpers). Windows took it fine and I am using it to post this message. Limux
is another story. At bootup, my SuSe 6.1 executes Setserial (i think) and
the message displayed indicates  that ttys01 is at address 0x2f8 irq 3 which
matches what is set physically on the modem.

So i go to use the Kppp dialer under KDE and set the device to ttys01. When
I try to dail the program hangs on the "setting modem volume" message and
eventually times out. I have tried the faq's but they dont seem to be of
help. Is there perhaps a more approiate FAQ or webpage for me ? Or can
anyone here help me ?

I have been using linux for 2 days now. I am picking things up quickly, but
have hit a snag here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Dan

------------------------------

From: Miguel Reina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need help with epson 440
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:18:01 GMT

I have caldera 2.2 and a Epson printer model 440 and I can not get my
printer to work.
I have a zip drive connected to the parellel port now and I am using the
pass through feature.
What's wrong? Should I get a second parelle port installed?

Someone help!
Mike
Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Ozarow)
Subject: Re: zImage
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:25:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Daniel P. Gelinske" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Stephan wrote:
>
> Installing a new kernel in a nutshell:
>
> When you get a new kernel, and you untar the tar archive, you go into
> the linux directory it made (/usr/src/linux or something like
> /usr/src/linux-2.2.xx) and you type 'make menuconfig'  You go through
> the menu, see what you want your kernel to support, and make heavy use
> of the "help" option, and when you got what you want you are done with
> that step.  You exit menuconfig, and then you do a 'make dep'  after
> that is done, you can 'make zImage' and the zImage file will appear in
> the /usr/src/linux*/arch/i386/boot directory.  Then you can set it into
> the /boot directory (if your old kernel is also called zImage, you will
> want to move it to a new filename, ie zImage-2.2.2 for kernel version
> 2.2.2)  If your kernel is too big, you will want to "make bzImage"
> instead.  If the "make zImage" dont work because the kernel is too big,
> you can type "make bzImage" and it will compile fine.
>
> And remember... if your kernel has a different name than the old kernel,
> you will want
> to edit lilo.conf to make it point to the new kernel.  After doing that
> run /sbin/lilo as root.
>
> I dont know anything about first.hdimage, but I hope that I was of some
> help to you.
>
> Dan

This is very sound advice indeed, but simpler to say that every kernel
source tree since the high Renaissance has included a README file in
its toplevel directory which outlines step-by-step exactly what to do
to make zImage or bzImage (well, bzImage is a little more recent,
maybe since the French Revolution for that one).

Oz

------------------------------

From: Dan Chirica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem for sale
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:12:12 -0700

        Hi everybody,
        I need to buy a modem, because my current one is, off course a
Win modem.
        The question is: Does somebody out there have a modem for sale?
A 28.8 bps will be ideal, because I can not afford to pay a very expensive
one. And the most important, this modem has to be known to work under
Linux.
        I can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Thank you,
        Dan

From: "David St.Clair" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: jaring.os.linux
Subject: Re: anyoen tried a BE6?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:18:05 -0400

I'm using a BE6.  It works in ATA33, but not ATA66 yet.  I still got my
UDMA66 HD to work by using a 33 pin  ribbon cable intstead of the 66 pin
cable it came with.  Linux works after that.  Very nice board.

David St.Clair