Linux-Hardware Digest #267, Volume #11           Thu, 16 Sep 99 12:13:31 EDT

Contents:
  Can't mount CDROM drive (Chin Yew Tuck)
  Re: Can't mount CDROM drive ("pascal cruls")
  Diamond soudcard (Shaun)
  Re: Bttv drivers won' work again :(Than ("R.K.Aa")
  Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop? (Andreas Muck)
  Re: --> [Q] Linux and IBM RS6000 ?? (Alberto Varesio)
  discounted systems to Open source developers- UK ("bgiltrap")
  Is Linux able to use 2 ATI@Work Graphic cards ? (Alexandre MULLER)
  insmod fails with "unresolved symbol" messages (John Tourtellott)
  Re: YMF724 PCI based sound support for Linux (Arvind)
  Re: Compatibly problems? (William Firkser)
  Re: Installing a DITTO MAX ("Michael")
  Re: --> [Q] Linux and IBM RS6000 ?? (Dave Brown)
  Re: Easy Modem Question (Kirk Bubul)
  Linux, sound and Neomagic Magicwave (CAPOEN Philippe)
  Re: strange 'cracks' at start of sound playing ("Steve Wright")
  SBLive Value?? ("Robert Kaylor")
  Re: Is Linux able to use 2 ATI@Work Graphic cards ? (Mike Frisch)
  RH-6.0->Making xvidtune save settings (+ +)
  Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop? (William Firkser)
  Re: Linux does not detect second CPU ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Hardware Configuration ("Darryl Rowe")
  DELL Inspiron 7000/7500 (Alexander Russell)

From: Chin Yew Tuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't mount CDROM drive
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:31:19 GMT

When I type :" mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom"

Redhat 5.2 returned the error msg : "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block
                                     device"

I tried mounting the floppy drive, it worked. Can anybody help me to solve
this problem ? Thank you.

regards
Chin

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "pascal cruls" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't mount CDROM drive
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:06:25 +0100

Try instead as root:
mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
assuming hdc is the name of your device
if you do not know it type
dmesg and look at the line written when linux installs your cdrom you should
see something like hdc , hdd , ....
Cheers
Pascal

------------------------------

From: Shaun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond soudcard
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:36:27 +1000

Hi

I have recently purchased a new soundcard and was wondering whether
anyone knows if it is possible to install a Diamond s90 soundcard under
redhat

regards
Shaun

------------------------------

From: "R.K.Aa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bttv drivers won' work again :(Than
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:35:35 GMT

Ron Venema wrote:
[snipped]
> [root@localhost driver]# xawtv
> This is xawtv-2.40, running on Linux/i686 (2.2.5-15)
> DGA: version mismatch -- disabled
> wmhooks: kde
> x11: 1280x1024, 32 bit/pixel, 0 byte/scanline, VidMode
> open /dev/video: No such file or directory
> can't open /dev/video: No such file or directory
> v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> open /dev/video: No such file or directory
> no video grabber device available
> [root@localhost driver]#
>
> What bothers me is that it looking for video in /dev which there is none.
> Should there be a link to some other device?

in the bttv directory there's most likely a sub-dir called drivers.
(where you unpacked it (or it can be found in the sourcefiles dir)
What you're looking for is a script called MAKEDEV

run that (cd to the dir where it is, if you don't find it at first try a
"locate MAKEDEV") - then write ./MAKEDEV

That should create all possible kinds of v4l related device types.
Then try loading the bttv module again and see if it didn't help.

K.

--
Step by step guide to TrueType fonts under RedHat6:
http://home.powertech.no/rkaa/Linux_and_tv.html#ttf

------------------------------

From: Andreas Muck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop?
Date: 16 Sep 1999 11:48:20 GMT

Hallo David,

David Rabanus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wonder which window manager might be the fastest on a Compaq Laptop
> (Presario 1215, 24MB RAM, 180 MHz)
[...]
> "enlightenment" and "gnome" (although I don't understand what tasks each of
> those exactly fulfill). Anyway: I turns out that this system is VERY slow.
> Even slower than Windows 95.

:-(

please note, I can speak for myself only. Not so far ago I've found
_xfce_ by searching on my installation cd's. Description promises a
very fast desktop environment. I just installed the program, run the
installation-script and got a nice and very fast workspace :-)

I've read this group since a few months but I've never read _xfce_ . I
don't know why. I find it to be a very stable and fast system. The
only teardrop I wish to mention is the fact that _xfce_ is not very
configurable. But I want to work with my computer - that's all. And so
_xfce_ is quit the right for me.

Hope I helped!

Andreas

--
"I am a gentleman:
 I live by robbing the poor."

------------------------------

From: Alberto Varesio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: --> [Q] Linux and IBM RS6000 ??
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:05:39 +0200

Josep Lluis Guallar Esteve wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> We have some aeging IBM RS6000 and they had been running AIX. Now they
> have their well deserved retirement but...
>
> ...can I install Linux on those machines? They can be great for
> developing and intranet-web servers.
>
> Any distribution supports this hardware?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Josep L. Guallar
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

What models ?
There are some distributions supporting RS/6000, but only if they are PowerPC!
If so, try http://www.linuxppc.com http://www.linuxppc.org
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com and look around.

--
 Alberto Varesio - AIX Support Professional             Phone: +39-011-41581-11
 EDIST Spa          >>> Crack RC5-64 Moo @ <<<          Fax:   +39-011-41581-80

------------------------------

From: "bgiltrap" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: discounted systems to Open source developers- UK
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:09:43 +0100

We are about to launch a new distribution shortly and for a limited period
we have decided to offer discounted Linux Systems to Developers. If you are
interested please contact :

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bernard Giltrap, Ideas to Reality

------------------------------

From: Alexandre MULLER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is Linux able to use 2 ATI@Work Graphic cards ?
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:21:09 +0000

I would like to have a 2 screens configuration...
I already own an ATI@Work AGP and would like to add an ATI@Work PCI.

Is it possible under Linux ?

Thank you for answering

====================
- Alexandre MULLER -
====================
Communicatic/Médiane
T:+33 (0494) 726 380
F:+33 (0494) 691 606
====================
-  Made in France  -
====================

------------------------------

From: John Tourtellott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: insmod fails with "unresolved symbol" messages
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:00:42 -0400

I'm trying to install the driver for a new Ethernet Card. It compiles
OK, but when I try to install the module, the insmod command returns a
stream of "unresolved symbol" messages. There are 29 such unresolved
symbols in all, including
  securebits
  eth_type_trans
  request_region
  pcbios_read_config_byte
  _kfree_skb
  kmalloc
  release_region
  free_irq
  jiffies
  printk
  add_timer
Since they sure look like they should come from the kerner, I checked
ksyms, however, none of them appear in the list.

I haven't been able to find anything about this in the HOWTO's. Is there
anything I can do besides compiling the driver into the kernel? As a
beginner, I was hoping to avoid stuff like that for my first install.

BTW I'm running RedHat 6.0 (kernel version 2.2.5), and the driver is
sis900.c for the SiS900 ethernet 10/100 controller chip.

-- john

------------------------------

From: Arvind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: YMF724 PCI based sound support for Linux
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:00:24 GMT

I bought the driver for this sound card YMF724 from
http://www.opensound.com when it was beta for $20 and it was working
great...no problems. Recently they released the new driver and I
upgraded mine for FREE....so $20 is not too much to get sound working...

Arvind

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Michael Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Eric Bresie wrote:
>
> > My company has purchased a Dell Dimension V400 computer which has a
Yamaha YMF724 based sound

> > card.  Currently linux does not support this chip set (except for
partial support in the O$$ drivers).

> > I have tried running sndconfig to setup my sound card and
> >
> > it id's the chipset as being a YMF724 (this is good)
> >
> > The Yamaha YMF-724 is not supported (this is bad)
> >
> > I understand that Yamaha is not being helpful with the DS-XG stuff
for proprietary reasons.

> > Reading on the specs on the card, it indicates it has legacy
Soundblaster Pro support.

> > I was hoping to use sndconfig, but I can't get it to not autoprobe,
even with the --noautoconifg or --noprobe switches.

> > Does anyone know how to swing this?
> >
> > I am trying to work on the Soundblaster Pro angle but not sure if
it's gonna work.

> > Do I need to somehow identify the irq,dma,etc settings and include
this in the isapnp.conf?

> > Can I somehow use the pcitools to work with the card?
> >
> > How can I get my YMF724 PCI based sound card with legacy
SoundBlaster Pro support working on linux?

> Try the people who delivers the Shareware OSS drivers, I had a YMF724
PCI based sound card, and their
> drives can handle the YMF724 (At least I'm reasonably sure that was
the chip), but try them.

> http://www.4front-tech.com/linux.html
>
> Their prices are reasonable for the drivers.  And they do list the
YMF724 as a supported device.

--
Microsoft doesn't WORKstation!

From: William Firkser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compatibly problems?
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:06:39 -0400

You can check-out all your hardware at http://lhd.datapower.com/

Good luck!

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing a DITTO MAX
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:00:05 -0400

Gerardo,

You certainly can.  If you are using a 2.2.x kernel, ftape should support
this drive.  You will want to comile support for Travan drives when you make
your kernel config.  When you want to access the tape drive, such as with
TAR, you will want to select the rewindable device option e.g.

tar cv file.txt /dev/rft0

Let me know if this helps.

Michael
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:37e0319f$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 16 Sep 99 15:12:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Josep Lluis Guallar Esteve wrote:
>Hello there,
>
>We have some aeging IBM RS6000 and they had been running AIX. Now they
>have their well deserved retirement but...
>
>...can I install Linux on those machines? They can be great for
>developing and intranet-web servers.

It's not clear why you'd want to dump AIX in favor of Linux.  Linux
has been ported to PowerPC, and if your "aging RS6000s" are based on
PowerPC, there's a possibility there.

However, you can get AIX versions of much of the software that runs
on Linux at ftp://aixpdslibs.seas.ucla.edu, either source or binaries.
So why would you want to give up SMIT and LVM?

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Kirk Bubul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Easy Modem Question
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:36:02 -0500

being a technical person, I can't rehearse the details, but it was
explained then that 56K works only on downloads from a server that can
send at 56K. (I believe that all consumer 56K modems transmit at
28.8K, but it may be 33.6K.)  It was explained that you could not
connect between two 56K modems at anything greater than 28.8 because
neither 56K modem would have the hardware necessary to transmit at
56K.

You had the same situation if you owned a 56Flex modem and tried to
connect to a X2 ISP.  Or vice versa. You only got 28.8K. The advent of
V.90 iron and flash updates fixed that problem, but I know of nothing
that has changed the "problem" that you are facing. (It's not a
"problem", its a basic truth like the "Winmodems and Linux Don't Mix"
truth.)

------------------------------

From: CAPOEN Philippe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Subject: Linux, sound and Neomagic Magicwave
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:01:05 +0200

==============35808C5E1EA5BA6F521CC0F4

Hi!

I´m trying to configure a REDHAT 6.0 on my computer ( a Dell CPi
A366XT)  for sound.

I have a Neomagic Magicwave 256/3DX chipset.

Does anyone knows where can I found inforation about a such card.

Cheers

Philippe CAPOEN
Ingenieur Support Sur Site

Customer Support Services                ORACLE Region NORD
Tel:    03 20 67 76 72                   30, parvis de l'Hotel de Ville
Fax:    03 20 91 72 91                   Immeuble "MERCURY"
==============35808C5E1EA5BA6F521CC0F4

begin:vcard
n:CAPOEN;Philippe
tel;fax:+33 20 91 72 91
tel;work:+33 3 20 67 76 72
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.oracle.com
org:ORACLE France;Support Sur Site
adr:;;30 parvis de l'hotel de Ville;Villeneuve d 'Ascq;;59650;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Ingénieur Support
fn:CAPOEN Philippe
end:vcard

From: "Steve Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: strange 'cracks' at start of sound playing
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:33:15 -0500

Hi.
I have the same card and it produces the same sounds you are describing but
in Windows!
Just thought i'd let you know yer not the only person with a problem with
this card.
Regards.......
TrIPS   find me on Undernet IRC in #hardware

------------------------------

From: "Robert Kaylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SBLive Value??
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:18:42 GMT

Does anyone know if this sound card works with linux?? And if so how do i
get it to work???

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: Is Linux able to use 2 ATI@Work Graphic cards ?
Date: 16 Sep 1999 14:01:53 GMT

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:21:09 +0000, Alexandre MULLER
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I would like to have a 2 screens configuration...
>I already own an ATI@Work AGP and would like to add an ATI@Work PCI.
>
>Is it possible under Linux ?

In theory, yes, you can use the 'atyfb' consolefb support in the kernel
along with the fbdev XFree86 server. As I understand it, you will not get
an optimized accelerated driver, but it _should_ work. Unfortunately, this
stuff is not well documented, so you'll need patentience and a little code
reading experience if it doesn't work the first time.

I have been thinking about trying this myself, but haven't yet gotten
around to it. Let me/us know of your findings if you attempt it.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (+ +)
Subject: RH-6.0->Making xvidtune save settings
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 06:47:47 -0800

Anyone know what is up with this? I ran the workstation install,
Xconfigurator and everything is working OK, except that My 800x600 display
is all off to the right. I can run xvidtune and it seems to be ok until I
restart X. Then it's all back to the way it was.

Also I was wondering how exactly to disable the virtual desktops at the
different resolutions. I noticed in this XF86Config file that it doesn't
have the "virtual" line, just the one entry with all the modes listed right
there.

TIA
MCRANdello

   -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?c ****-
 Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser

------------------------------

From: William Firkser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:57:35 -0400

David,

You might want to look into more ram. Linux needs at least 32mb to run
at a reasonable speed - 64mb would make a big difference.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux does not detect second CPU
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:15:35 GMT

In article <7rpn9u$hbc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Chetan Bhargava <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is nothing wrong with Linux. Maybe the kernel is not installed
> properly. Make sure you enabled the SMP while compiling.
>
> Chetan Bhargava
> www.asacomputers.com

Thanks for the reply. I,m pretty sure SMP is enabled in the kernel.
Please take a look at the result o uname -a:

guiness~# uname -a
Linux guiness 2.2.12 #1 SMP Thu Sep 16 06:59:22 EST 1999 i686 unknown

and at the beggining of boot messages:

Linux version 2.2.12 (root@guiness) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314
(egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 SMP Thu Sep 16 06:59:22 EST 1999
Intel MultiProcessor Specification v1.4
    Virtual Wire compatibility mode.
OEM ID: INTEL    Product ID: 440BX        APIC at: 0xFEE00000
Processor #0 Pentium(tm) Pro APIC version 17
I/O APIC #2 Version 17 at 0xFEC00000.
Processors: 1
mapped APIC to ffffe000 (fee00000)
mapped IOAPIC to ffffd000 (fec00000)
Detected 551258553 Hz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 550.50 BogoMIPS
Memory: 517316k/524288k available (1056k kernel code, 424k reserved,
5428k data, 64k init)
Pentium-III serial number disabled.
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.35a (19990819) Richard Gooch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Pentium-III serial number disabled.
per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 100.04 usecs.
CPU0: Intel Pentium III (Katmai) stepping 03
calibrating APIC timer ...
..... CPU clock speed is 551.2682 MHz.
..... system bus clock speed is 100.2304 MHz.
Error: only one processor found.

Notice specially the last line: the kernel certainly looked for
the second proceesor and was unable to find it!

Any more ideas?

Thank you very much, again!

 Antonio

From: "Darryl Rowe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware Configuration
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:05:05 -0400

The HP 820Cse is a _cgi_ printer.

The "driver" you need - must have, NO ALTERNATIVES - is Windows9x/NT.
Period.

It has no internal processor of it's own so it can't "think for itself" or
be used in DOS, etc. It runs off your main CPU which is one reason the
system slows down while printing. Etc. Etc.

I certainly won't buy one of those type printers again.

news:jZYD3.279$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:52:41 -0500
From: Alexander Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DELL Inspiron 7000/7500

I'd like to run Linux on a DELL Inspiron 7000/7500. I am constrained to
buy from DELL for administrative reasons, so I am hoping to hear some
good news about this laptop:

    * Will XFree86 drive the video hardware: ATI Mobility P3D, AGP?

    * Any hope of making the PCMCIA modem/LAN card work: XIRCOM V.90/LAN
card?

Many thanks!

Please remoce NOSPAM from my e-mail address if you reply by e-mail.

Alex Russell
CSE/UCONN