Linux-Hardware Digest #280, Volume #11           Sat, 18 Sep 99 01:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Easy Modem Question (David C.)
  Re: New hard drive not correctly recognized. (Carsten Cimander)
  Re: Which AT Motherboard (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: external ISDN adapter setup (phoneranger)
  Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop? (David S Cargo)
  Re: Which CD-RW drive to buy? (Luckydaze1)
  Re: Wich CD writer for linux (Bryan)
  Re: overclocked system? (Larry Ozarow)
  Software RAID 1 ("Todd Simi")
  Re: Anyone use SB PCI 64 or 128 sound card with Linux? (Luckydaze1)
  Re: Printing on a HP 720C (Sparkzz)
  Wich CD writer for linux ("Stacy Schmitt")
  Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop? (David C.)
  Re: ESS 1968 AudioDrive (Terrelle Shaw)
  Driver for Intel-82595 Ethernet? (Ngai Chi Man)
  Re: Athlon and SMP? ("Nik Simpson")
  Running Oracle 805 on Linux
  Re: Linux 2.2.10 doesn't recognize > 64 MB memory (Peter Hutnick)
  Macronix MX987xx NIC-driver needed!! (Carsten Cimander)
  Req: Formating Floppy question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Need a recomendation for a sound card. (Carsten Cimander)
  Re: D-Link SN3200 PCI Ethernet Card (Paul Johnston)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Easy Modem Question
Date: 17 Sep 1999 12:39:39 -0400

Kirk Bubul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> being a technical person, I can't rehearse the details, but it was
> explained then that 56K works only on downloads from a server that can
> send at 56K. (I believe that all consumer 56K modems transmit at
> 28.8K, but it may be 33.6K.)  It was explained that you could not
> connect between two 56K modems at anything greater than 28.8 because
> neither 56K modem would have the hardware necessary to transmit at
> 56K.

Sort of correct.  56k protocols require very clean lines.  So clean that
it is impossible without one or both ends of the connection being
all-digital.  More specifically, any side that tries to transmit with
V.90 (or KFlex or X2) must be digitally attached to the phone network.

Since very few people have digital lines in their home (ISDN users
excepted), it is assumed that only the ISP-side of the connection will
ever acheive 56K speeds.  So most (if not all) modem makers didn't even
bother trying to implement the 56K-send part of the protocol in consumer
devices.

The chips in your modem could probably do it, but the software isn't
there and you've got the wrong kind of phone line in your home.

> You had the same situation if you owned a 56Flex modem and tried to
> connect to a X2 ISP.  Or vice versa. You only got 28.8K.

This is a different problem.  KFlex and X2 are simply different
protocols.  There are plenty of different ways to encode bits for
transmission over a voice network.  Different techniques yield different
speeds and capabilities.  Three different ones exist for 56K - KFlex, X2
and V.90.  They're incompatible with each other only because they use
different kinds of encodings.  The hardware requirements (what kind of
phone lines, etc.) are identical for all three.  Software changes can
convert a modem from any one of these to any other kind.  (Of course,
certain upgrade paths will never exist - 3Com/USR will never ship KFlex
software for their modems - but that's for political reasons, not
technical ones.)

The problem with trying to get 56K without either side using a digital
line is a technical one.  No amount of software can fix it.  If you need
that kind of speed, you'll have to spring for a digital line of some
kind and either get your own (expensive) ISP-type modems, or lease a
line to some other ISP and have your customers connect over the
internet.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New hard drive not correctly recognized.
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:56:23 +0200

Hi

I use the following on my system:
- DOS 6.22 / Win3.1 (to support father's questions ... ;-) )
- Win98
- LinuX (SuSE 6.1) Kernel 2.2.5

My harddisk:
Maxtor 13.6 GB ("formatted 12.6 GB") 7200rpm UDMA 66
My Motherboard:
Tyan Titan Turbo (S1572) ATX with intel TX-Chipset

- The BIOS itself does not recognize the disk correctly: it assumes the disk to
be
  a size of 8 GB.
- Recommended Settings printed on maxtor-haddisk label:
  Cyls: 1655, Sectors: 255, Heads: 63
  that calculates to 1655*255*63*512Byte = 12.6 GB (1GB = 1024^3 Bytes)
  (manufactors like to calculate: 1 GB = 1000^3 Byte)

Tyan recommends to set the Ddisksize to AUTO. Although BIOS further claimes
that the HD is 8 GB, the system nearly comes along with it:
-  DOS 6.22 / Win3.1  could not see beyond 8 GB
-  Win98 recognizes the whole disk
- Linux recognizes the whole disk

How to use fdisk if you want to get rid of EZ-Disk informaions in the partition
table?
- boot to linux (or from linux Boot-Disk or Linux-Live CD)
- use linux's fdisk (!)
# fdisk /dev/hda
then type 'm' to see the help menu (possible commands)
type 'd' to delete a partition and '1' to delete partition number 1 (i.e.
/dev/hda1 here)
type 'd' '2' to delete your second partition (i.e. /dev/hda2)
type 'd' '6' to delete your 1st logocal drive (i.e. /dev/hda6)
type 'd' '5' to delete your extended partition (i.e. /dev/hda5)

type 'w' to write the partition table to your disk.
IMPORTANT:
to really clear the contents of the boot-sector and make it available for DOS
you
have to zero-out the boot-sector (FAT-sectors):
clear the master-boot-record:
# dd if=/dev/zero bs=512 count=1 of=/dev/hda

Now start with fdisk again:
# fdisk /dev/hda
create a new partition: (partition 1 as primary partition)
'c' '1' 'p'
and size 1010 MB:
Cyl '1' to '+1010M'
Set the file-type of your partition to VFAT:
't' '6'
and so on...
write the partition table and exit:
'w'

IMPORTANT:
clear the (V)FAT table of the partitions. Otherwise DOS/WinNT/95/98 cannot
format it!!!
clear 1st partion's FAT
# dd if=/dev/zero bs=512 count=1 of=/dev/hda1  <- DON'T forget the '1' at the
end!

Hope that helps.
Reagards
Carsten
--

    .--.
   |o_o |        Have Fun(ds)!
   |:_/ |
  //   \ \       Carsten Cimander
 (|     | )      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

Suddn schrieb:

> I have a Maxtor 20.0 GB DiamondMax Plus dirve.  When I install the Mandrake
> 6.0 (Red hat 6.0) version of Linux fdisk only sees 8 GB!
>
> I'm using an Asus P2B motherboard with a Celeron 300a.
>
> Help!

    .--.
   |o_o |        Have Fun(ds)!
   |:_/ |
  //   \ \       Carsten Cimander
 (|     | )      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which AT Motherboard
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:39:55 -0400

David Cooley wrote:

> Simon wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a pentium 233mmx machine which I wish to upgrade (cheaply).
> >
> > What motherboards are recommended by people using them as reliable and
> > linux friendly, preferably suitable for a celeron 400 or a real low end
> > PIII ?
> >
> > Of course it has to be an AT motherboard to save me buying a new case.
>
> If you want an AT format motherboard, I don't think you'll be getting
> P-II or P-III... I believe all of those are now ATX.

Not quite so. Soyo still offers baby AT systems for new processors.
Model SY-6BB for one... But, there are certainly few of them these days.

--
Mark Bratcher
Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles.

From: phoneranger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: external ISDN adapter setup
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:37:24 -0500

Definitely check to be sure everything in your init string does what you
think.  I have an external Eicon Diva isdn t/a and several of the more
"standard" AT commands are non-standard.  Example:. they changed reset from
ATZ to AT>Z  ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David S Cargo)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop?
Date: 15 Sep 1999 19:29:01 GMT

You should check http://freshmeat.net/appindex/X11/window%20managers.html
and http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

Personally, I use Blackbox, http://blackbox.alug.org/
and find it to be agile and light weight.

Other lightweight window managers include aewm, flwm, Sapphire, wm2, wmG,
and wmx (links from that freshmeat page).

David S. Cargo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luckydaze1)
Subject: Re: Which CD-RW drive to buy?
Date: 18 Sep 1999 03:27:16 GMT

>> Hi folks.
>>
>> I'd like an external unit, to switch between my laptop &
>> 2 desktop machines for backups, etc. of Linux & Win NT/98
>> partitions.  Doesn't need to be very portable.
>> All 3 machines have SCSI adapters, so my preference

>I'm very pleased with the Ricoh MP7040S. Mine is scsi internal, but I'm
>sure it comes as external, too.
>
>MST

The 7040 is a damn fine burner. Also the new 7060 kicks much ass too. Teac and
Yamaha make good drives also. If you're not going to burn games but just data,
the
HP's  are OK for that. The newer HP is really a Sony and won't overburn.

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wich CD writer for linux
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:50:12 GMT

plextor 4x12 or 8x20.  scsi.

Stacy Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi,
:   I'm  in the process of buying a CD-RW.  I was wandering if the new
: HP-8200i is compatible with Linux ?  I'm open to any suggestion on a good
: writer that would work with Linux.

: Thanks

: [Spaceman]

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Larry Ozarow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: overclocked system?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:11:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Tim wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking about installing linux on my system which has an
> > overclocked 300a to 450 on an Abit bx6 board. I heard linux is more
> > "sensitive" to overclocking than windows, but scince I'm not
> > overclocking the pci bus (running at the 100 bus) I wondered if people
> > had success with it. Thanks.
>
> I have a negative experience. However, I do not have ABIT board. I have
> PC100 BX Pro and Linux will not run when I change the bus speed to
> 100MHz. I have had Windows 95 running on
> it for six months without a problem. (It is a 300A Processor).

Sorry to reply to st's reply rather than Tim's original post, but my ISP
has negligible retention.

I have had no problems whatsoever overclocking a Slot 1 300a to 450 on an
Abit Bx6-2 nor in overclocking a pair of ppga's in a dual system using an
Epox KP6-BS. I oftern run them flat out, doing math simulations on both
processors for days at a time and have had nothing weird happen.

Larry

------------------------------

From: "Todd Simi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Software RAID 1
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:58:32 -0700

Hi,
    If I build a system with the ASUS P2B-D Dual Pentium III's and use 2
Adaptec 2940u2w, will I be able to setup mirroring between the two cards
with RedHat 6.0?  I'm looking for the hardware redundancy.  Any opinions?

Thanks
Todd

===========

For a great car deal on vehicle  :

Visit us on the web at  www.bestcarbuy.com

Where you can choose from:
Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, GMC,
JEEP, Chrysler Plymouth, Nissan, Mazda & Isuzu
AND hundreds of pre-owned cars.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luckydaze1)
Subject: Re: Anyone use SB PCI 64 or 128 sound card with Linux?
Date: 18 Sep 1999 03:21:58 GMT

>I'm looking at buying one of these for use in Linux 2.2.12.  They're
>supported in OSS/Linux and ALSA, but it doesn't really say how extensive
>the support is.
>
>I'm interested in hearing from people who have either of these cards.

>Which would you recommend (or not)?  What features are available with
>the current drivers?
>
>Any info is greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve

I have a SB PCI 64 running fine in SuSe 6.2 but so far can't get midi and wavs
to play, only music. I'm a newbie to Linux but configuring the sound card was a
snap in SuSe. Anyone know how to get the wavs and midi to play?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sparkzz)
Subject: Re: Printing on a HP 720C
Date: 18 Sep 1999 03:25:51 GMT

I had one -- and ended up giving it to my
wife.

I got it to work, but the ppa drivers you have to install builds bit-pages at
33 MB per
page, whether your text fills the entire page or not. And then, only one page
at a time.

I dumped it and found another printers
that uses PCL3.
.
.
....Ken

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 17 Sep 1999 12:46:37 -0400

David Rabanus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I wonder which window manager might be the fastest on a Compaq Laptop
> (Presario 1215, 24MB RAM, 180 MHz). I have installed RedHat 6.0
> (Kernel 2.2.5-15smp) and it automatically installed the window manager
> "enlightenment" and "gnome" (although I don't understand what tasks
> each of those exactly fulfill). Anyway: I turns out that this system
> is VERY slow.  Even slower than Windows 95. But that - of course -
> wasn't the reason to switch over to linux. When I try to change the
> window manager in the "GNOME Control Center" it doesn't seem to
> remember that when I "startx" the next time. But it doesn't offer me
> the option to save that new configuration.
>
> Now: Probably that also depends on the distribution I have.  What is
> the recommendation for the slimmest/fastest linux version/
> distribution/window manager that should be used?  Which window manager
> does NOT use a thousand bitmaps to display its window corners and
> radio buttons and so on?
>
> In my experience the trend goes to still fancier desktops with a
> thousand different gimmicks and gizmos constantly sucking memory and
> cpu time and that sucks (literally :-). I just want to know how to
> SWITCH them off. I hope that this doesn't impair the good reputation
> of linux being an efficient system.

KDE/GNOME are both resource hogs.

I don't know too much about enlightenment.

On my systems, I use "AnotherLevel" (aka fvwm2) as my window manager.  I
configure it for the "Lesstif" (mwm clone) look.  It works reasonably
well on my 486/40 (with 40M RAM).

If you want to go for the smallest footprint, twm is probably your
choice.

Needless to say, Lesstif and twm don't have all the gee-whiz features
that enlightenment/KDE/GNOME provide.  You have to decide if you want
features or speed.  I prefer speed.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Terrelle Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ESS 1968 AudioDrive
Date: 17 Sep 1999 10:09:22 PDT

I think i got the exact same chipset.. the only way i was able to
actually HEAR anything thru the card was to configure it in windows,
then use loadlin to boot into linux.. i think its a card problem where
it dumps its config if you reboot the machine while booting into linux..
if you use loadlin it keeps its settings in its memory thrus enabling
you to use the card.. hmm seems odd that i had to do this since the last
card i had which was only a win95 sound card ( didnt work in NT) and an
ISA card, i had to do the exact same thing.. and that was an 8bit card..

Terrelle

------------------------------

From: Ngai Chi Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for Intel-82595 Ethernet?
Date: 18 Sep 1999 03:47:28 GMT

Dear all,

I'm setting the network card in Linux 2.2.12 but can't setup the network
card. In Win98, it is detected as Intel-82595 based Ethernet. I've chose
the modules eepro but when I insmod, it just hang up.

Which driver should I choose? Many thanks.

regards,
Kelvin

------------------------------

From: "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon and SMP?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:11:42 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi!
>
>Are there any indication when one could expect motherboard for
>dual/quad/octal K7 processors on the market? Would it in that case be
>possible to upgrade a single (K7) processored system by just changing
>motherboard and adding more processors?

Right now, Athlon doesn't support SMP and there are no chipsets for SMP
support with Athlon. There is supposed to be a higher performance
workstation/server class Athlon at some point in the future which will
support SMP, but it doesn't exist yet. At best you would have to upgrade the
MB, you may also need a different type of processor. then of course you may
need a new case since the one you have now may not have enough cooling for a
multi-CPU system.

--
Nik Simpson

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.databases.oracle,comp.databases.oracle.misc
Subject: Running Oracle 805 on Linux
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:20:26 -0700

Hi all,
    I've been charted to design a web site..Like most web sites, it will
have a bunch of web servers fronting some application servers and one
database (Oracle) server. Now I would like to have 3 or 4 e-machines Celeron
systems running Linux as my web servers, feeding into a load balancing
switch such as a Foundry ServerIron or an Alteon AceDirector. On the back
end, I would like to stay with Linux as far as possible -- I will be having
things like chat servers and mail servers, and I cannot see why Linux won't
work here.

    The thing that's keeping me up at nights though is Oracle. I'd really
like to run it on Linux, but I don't know how strong Oracle's committment is
to Linux. For that matter, I do not know if Linux can scale to running a
gigantic database server -- we're very small right now but expect to grow
rapidly (obviously ;) I expect the database to be up in the
multi-hundred-gigabyte range in the next few months.  This isn't going to be
one of those inactive database servers, folks are going to be inserting,
deleting, and updating records all the time. Its come down to Linux/Intel
because its cost effective (we're tight on $$$) vs Solaris/Sparc because
Sun/Oracle have such a tight relationship. I'm equally familiar w/ Linux and
Solaris BTW. I'd like to stay w/ RedHat 5.2, since its a release behind.

    Has anyone else had to make a similar decision? What did you end up
doing? Why? If you chose Linux which vendor's h/w did you go with? I've been
looking @ SGI's 1400L, and it looks pretty tasty, but was wondering what the
Linux db h/w vendor of choice was (if there was one)

Regards,
KSC

------------------------------

From: Peter Hutnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.10 doesn't recognize > 64 MB memory
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:39:18 -0500

2.2.10 will see up to 1gb of RAM (less a small amount for kernel.  If you
have a full 1gb you may have to pass a mem=x.) and kernel 2.2.12 has the
ability (without a kernel hack) to see up to 2gb (same "small amount for
kernel" proviso applies).

It may be that Torleiv believes that it only sees 64mb due to using loadlin,
which requires a mem=x if you have greater than 64mb.

-P

PS: suse and simens have put together a patch for 4gb ram (which is
supposedly the limitation of Pentium (et all) processors.  (However certain
8 way systems will support significantly more, and I don't know how.)  This
patch will

Torleiv,

It would be nice if you would check your "facts" in the future instead of
spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) by saying things that are simply
not true.

-Peter

------------------------------

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Macronix MX987xx NIC-driver needed!!
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:52:04 +0200

Hi all!

I want to get my linux-Box to be connected to LAN. So I bought
a NIC from Macronix.
The Model is "Pro-120(B) PCI FAST Ethernet Adapter" and is
shipped with drivers for Win3.11/95/98/NT3.51/NT4.0, Netware3.x/4.x,
SCO-Unix but nothing for linux is included :-(

My box runs with SuSE LinuX 6.1 (Kernel 2.2.5)

LinuX says when typing:
# cat /proc/pci
--- snipp
Bus 0, device 18, function 0:
  Ethernet controller: Macronix MX98715 / MX98725 (rev 32)
  Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 9.
  Master capable. Latency=32 Min Gnt=8. Max Lat=56.
  I/O at 0x6500 [0x6501]
  Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x0805000 [0x0805000]
--- snipp

So I guess I have to look for a driver for a MX987xx chip.
But SuSE does not include one.
Can I use an alternative driver / chip?
I.e. is the MX987xx chip NE2000 or NE2100 compatible?

Regards,
Carsten
--
    .--.
   |o_o |        Have Fun(ds)!
   |:_/ |
  //   \ \       Carsten Cimander
 (|     | )      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Req: Formating Floppy question
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:20:52 GMT

Hi, I'm a newbie to Linux.  I have been trying to format a floppy in
terminal and keep locking up.  I have edited fstab adding user, I have
set the fdprm, and set mkfs.ext2 to format the floppy, but it will
start to format and then locks up the whole system.  What am I doing
wrong?  Also, when locking up system, how do I get out of the lock up?
I know Windoze has ctrl-alt-del, does Linux have a key combo also?
TIA for the response.

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need a recomendation for a sound card.
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:57:29 +0200

Hi ,

Terratec cards are claimed to run well under Linux.
I myself use a SounBlaster AWE64 value (ISA-PNP card) which is relatively
easy to configure if you use OSS (OpenSoundSystem). It is shipped with LinuX

6.1 and later and does all the odd configuring of ISA-PnP
(/etc/isapnp.conf).

Regards
Carsten

--
    .--.
   |o_o |        Have Fun(ds)!
   |:_/ |
  //   \ \       Carsten Cimander
 (|     | )      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Paul Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link SN3200 PCI Ethernet Card
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:53:26 GMT

Possibly you need to compile PNP support into your kernel.