From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TV tuner cards
Date: 26 Jan 1999 19:33:25 -0500

Tom Herman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I just installed the Hauppauge WinTV PCI card - works great!
: It's kinda hard getting the right combination of software through.

Do you have the Hauppauge DBX stereo WinTV model 400?  I'm running
XawTV verion 2.33 and the card is stuck in mono.  The bttv 0.5.22
driver does not appear to support the msp3430G-A1 audio decoder chip
found on my WinTV card.

I've tried compiling the new bttv 0.6.1 driver with the 2.1.132 kernel
but I get "kernel version needed but not found" error messages every
time I try to insert the modules.  I'm not sure if the bttv driver is
broken in the 2.1.132, or I've got a configuration/compilation error
somewhere in my system.

I hope there is some way to get stereo running with this card
considering that I spend and extra 30 dollars for the DBX stereo
model, and got it hooked into my stereo system.

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: LCD Panels: XFree86 & Linux Look Great!
Date: 26 Jan 1999 18:53:39 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne) writes:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:43:31 -0700, Jeff Moe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
> >I have just set up two different 15" LCD panels with RedHat 5.2 Linux
> >boxes and XFree86. One is a Philips 151AX (Philips Brilliance). The
> >other is the Apple Studio Display. They both look great. If you're
> >interested in more info on them, including snippits from my XF86Config
> >files, check out
> >http://www.themoes.org/linux/lcd/
>
> Apparently these units pretend to be VGA monitors.
>
> I find this somewhat surpising.  They don't need to do the
> "modulation/demodulation" of digital to analog signals, which means that
> they ought to be able to skip having a "video" card in the way.

There are a few lcd monitors that don't do the
digital->analog->digital conversion, but only a few because this
requires customization of the video card, and in fact none of these
units are yet usable under Linux.  The digital->analog->digital units
are more popular because they are pretty much guaranteed to work
wherever a CRT monitor would work.  Unfortunately, the quality is
nowhere near the promise of the technology -- I ordered an IBM sixteen
inch monitor and sent it back.  It was smeary and jumpy - maybe even
defective.

I'm waiting for support for that huge SGI panel with the #9 card...
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr H. T. Leung)
Subject: Re: Reading Mode 2 (XA) CDs in Linux
Date: 24 Jan 1999 23:29:47 GMT

CDs with mode 2 form 2 tracks (I suppose that's what you means) appears to have
an isofs file system onthe first track (which is mode 2 form 1), but the actual
data pointed to by the filehandle (or whatever - I don't know the exact term)
are in mode 2 form 2. There are a few ways:

(1) readxa (this program can hang your computer)
(2) readvcd (which only read the 2nd track onward).
(3) do it yourself with the ioctl system call with parameters described in
/usr/src/linux/{something}/cdrom.h
(4) try to extend Schilling's SCSI transport library and do it with a SCSI-3/mmc
command.

Most of them are fairly dangerous - i.e. will hang your machine.

(1) (2) are both referenced in www.mpegtv.com ; (3) is on your own system "man
ioctl", (4) you have to download cdrecord and the scsi transport library that
came with it, and the SCSI-3/mmc specs somewhere else.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Zach Litvack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|> Hi,
|>
|> I'm having difficulty reading mode 2 (XA) cds under linux. I can read
|> them fine under Win95, but anytime I try to copy a file off an XA CD, I
|> get an I/O error.
|>
|> I have two ATAPI cd-roms, one 36X reader, and one 4X writer. I've
|> enabled SCSI emulation in my kernel, and disabled the generic IDE-ATAPI
|> CD interface. Linux (Red Hat 5.2) recognizes both drives as SCSI devices
|> (scd0=writer & scd1=reader). I can read data from mode 1 (ISO9660) and
|> redbook (audio) discs just fine.
|>
|> Any ideas?
|>
|>  -Zach Litvack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"What you don't care cannot hurt you."            Chap. 7a, AMS-NS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Snows)
Subject: Cannot Detect D-Link ethernet card
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 02:01:29 GMT

I installed red hat in my pc (opps newbie again). Everthing was fine
except the networkcard. It couldnot detect my D-Link 220 ethernet
card.  I read through the Ethernet-HOW-TO and Kernel-HOW-TO, then
tried to go through the instruction and recompile my own kernel. But I
even could not run "make" in /usr/src/linux directory. The mesg error
says "not target".

Could someone give me some clues?

Thanx.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 01:59:44 GMT

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:33:38 -0500, Dennis Barbier
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I find this somewhat surpising.  They don't need to do the
>>"modulation/demodulation" of digital to analog signals, which means that
>>they ought to be able to skip having a "video" card in the way.
>
>Lets make something completely clear - there is no such thing as a digital
>monitor as such that its final output wont be analog. Maybe im taking this
>wrong, but please tell me how a monitor could put out a digital signal it
>would just be binary code. Humans cant interpret that, we are analog
>animals. We need colors and shapes and symbols. When a monitor refers to
>being digital all it means is the controlls are digital and not magnets
>inside of helixes (which is what an analog monitor is)

If the *controls* use discrete measures (aka "digital"), then that means
that it is certainly not continuous (aka "analog").

A simple LCD display is quite clearly using discrete controls; pixels
are either turned on, or turned off.  In the case of an LCD monitor,
there are more complex discrete bit patterns that go into activating
pixels of sundry colours.

But as far as I can tell, it is still a digital (aka "discrete")
technology in that the color is not dependent on how much current is
pumped through (which represents a continuous function) but rather what
*pattern* of bits (which is discrete).

--
"I've discovered that P=NP, but the proof is too long to fit within the
confines of this signature..."

------------------------------

From: jerryn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Video Capture Board
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:59:40 -0500

Matrox Meteor Card!

------------------------------

From: jerryn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Registered Developer???
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:16:09 -0500

Jerry Normandin Replies:

Technically...

We can all register as registered developers... And if we use
GPL'd code we need to release what we have learned from the
hardware vendor in the Open Sourced Code.  This is how
This great OS evolved.

I am working on a VISCA interface for Linux.  I really like
Blender.. I'm still learning more about it and how to master
it but I do like it.   With the Visca interface and a VGA - NTSC
raster scan converter you will be able to render to tape.

And what am I going to do with the VISCA information and source code?
POST it. Someone may take my code later on and build upon the idea
to release something even better.

It's a different form of thinking.  It's not "Communistic" as
some have claimed.. mainly MICROSOFT.  Here's why:

#1.   Since the Source is OPEN I can read the source and LEARN!
#2.   I can use the knowledge to leverage my career and gain
        a higher salary.

This has worked for me since I've been using Linux since '94.
My Salary has increased over 60% AND my programming skills
have increased big time.

Here's what I have seen so far,

If a piece of hardware or a platform proves itself worthy to
the Linux Community and the vendor of that product does not
offer any programming support the product would be reverse
engineered and become part of the Linux Collective.

That's what happened originally with the Connectix Quickcam.
later on the Manufacturer caved in and released  programming info.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: HOW TO TRANSFER XENIX DISK TO LINUX?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 07:53:57 GMT

"damatex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>If hardware does not work, then why not try the good old way: tapes.

Either the Xenix version used by SCO 2.3.4 is incompatible, or the
disk has been used with a slightly different layout on the SCO machine.

>- I have copied the data onto a Colorado Jumbo 250 tape drive
>  from the Xenix drive, transferred the tape drive AND its cable
>  onto the Linux machine:  Linux cannot read the tape:  'tar' doesnot
>  recognize the tape as a 'tar archive' (which I'm sure it is).
>  Yes, when I 'tar' from Linux on the tape drive, it works.

[...]

While the "tar"  command is found on nearly every UN*X machine, its
options are compile-time dependant. I'm sure that the Xenix'  tar version
doesn't use the same blocksize as the Gnu/Linux tar version .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

------------------------------

From: Gereon Wenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lightnux, the slim Linux
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:33:26 +0100

If you want just text, use a Terminal(VT100) or Terminal emulator
software,

for Graphics use an X-Terminal Tektronix(www.tek.com) or NCD are Common.

A Linux Distribution Fitting on 1Floppy Disk can be found at
www.toms.net.

        Gereon Wenzel (-8

------------------------------

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which CPU to upgrade to?
Date: 27 Jan 1999 13:37:38 +0100

Hi out,

Matthew Callaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It turns out that the quality of a CPU is somewhat
> random.  When they come off the assembly line,
> they're tested at various levels, and marked
> "good" if they work at their design
> specifications.  If they don't overclock well,
> they aren't "bad" by Intel's standards, since you
> aren't "supposed" to overclock it.

Let me tell here what I heard. I don't know if it's true so if anyone knows
something more, followups will be appreciated.

I heard that there is only one assembly line per processor for each "write
precision" (I don't know the exact english term ; I want to mean the precision
used to build the silicon transistors on a CPU ; for example 0.3 micrometers).
At the end of the assembly line, the technicians would test the processors at
each speed they can be sold to, and mark them "good for that speed"
corresponding to the highest frequency rate success.
After on, they sell their processors for a given frequency corresponding to the
customers demands, so if there is a high demand for a low frequency, they sell
processors that are supposed to support a higher frequency that the one they
are sold for.

Another thing, as I remember it and would like to share it : all the 486 from
Intel had a built in co-processor ; it was somehow "disconnected" when they
needed to sell 486SX. But both 486DX and 486SX had a coprocessor. (my personnal
feelings : it's disgusting)

--
  Guillaume Cottenceau, 4eme annee informatique, I.N.S.A Rennes.

------------------------------

From: "Thorgrim Ketilsson, Esq." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem volume
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:14:08 -0500

Ben Goble, Lakewood Colorado wrote:

> Ben wrote:
> >
> > While I am able to dial-up in Linux with no hassles, I am unable to turn
> > off the dialing tone (no volume control on my modem). Redhat 5.2 lists my
> > modem init string as ATZ, and the dialing commnad as ATDT. The modem
> > manual lists the volume string as M0. However, knowing this has not
> > enabled me to turn it off. Could someone please help me with sending the
> > string to the modem.
>
> It would be helpful if you mentioned what communication program you are
> using -Seyon, minicom, pcomm or ??  Have you looked at the man page info
> on the communication program you are using?
> --
> Ben Goble  Lakewood,  Colorado  USA
> bgoble at uswest dot net  bgoble at nyx dot net
> A Stranger and a Pilgrim on the Earth

Ben,

I'm guessing you're getting the problem using a PPP connection to the
internet. If this is so, go back to your configuration screen and change the
ATDT command to ATm0DT "ay tee emm zero dee tee"

Sometimes the program insists on keeping the old setting, in which case remove
the connection and rebuild, adding the m0 at the time of building.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: Bob Marcan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:19:54 GMT

Try LK46W-A2 from Digital (Compaq). It has LK401 layout and can be
connected
to PC. Price shoul be under 30$.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Subject: Maxtor Diamond Max 13.6
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:16:47 -0600

This drive (the Maxtor Diamond Max 13.6 Gig) is advertised as a Windows
only disk drive.  Will it work under Linux?

I'd love to hear from someone that actually has it working with no
problems.

Note:  I am not dual booting.  I want to be able to install it,
configure it and use it without a copy of Windows ever getting within 50
feet of it.

Kenneth P. Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in
  blood.  But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't
  have to stop there.  -- Dana Gould

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Subject: Recomendations? Dual Processor MB with EIDE built in and compatible with AMD
or Cyrix
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:26:38 -0600

I'm looking for a good mother board to replace the one in my Pentium 90
based system.  My requirements are:

        Dual or Quad CPU compatible
        Intel Chip Set
        Built in EIDE controller
        Compatible with Cyrix or AMD processors (I don't want to pay
                Intel prices, I assume this doesn't contradict the
                chip set requirement)
        Reasonable price.

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound card opti931 problem -- help!
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 07:51:15 +1100

I checked in my machine with:

cd /usr
find . -name '*OPT*'
find . -name '*opti*'

.... but all returned not what I needed. I tried manually looking at the
directory, but can't find it.

Would you mind sending me a copy of that file please? What kernel version
were you using when you did this?

Thanks,

John

------------------------------

From: Stephen Costaras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: linux max RAM is 1GB?
Date: 27 Jan 1999 02:19:14 GMT

I haven't really looked into this (I'm only at 768MB on the systems I have
here). But as I understand the problem it is to do with the 32bit processors
in the intel line.  They can only address 4GB of memory max, that being 4GB
of RAM, or a combination of swap & RAM that equals 4GB.

Assuming the above is correct (Any kernel people here want to comment on this?)
You might be able to get the memory you want when running Linux on an Alpha
or Ultra Sparc processor.

Steve

--
"There are two types of light, the glow that illuminates, and the glare
that obscures."            -- James Thurber