Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:11:14 +0000
From: Michael Hopkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Suggestions for basic but very fast MP math machine...

Hi all

I am planning to build a very fast but basic machine that will just run
jobs sent by another UNIX/Linux machine - probably Mac OS X, which is
BSD underneath...

It will need to have a 100 or 1000 Mbit ethernet card, about 64-128Mb
fast RAM and some disk storage for the system & dev tools.  I am not
planning to install X or even a video card - this is just for high-speed
maths computation at the moment.

Any suggestions on processors/motherboards?  I'm assuming PIII or P4,
Athlon, Alpha or IA64 for processors - I don't know about motherboards
but I want multiple processors (probably), good support for the chosen
hard disk/ethernet card & >>>***EASY SETUP/RELIABILITY***<<<.  :o)

How about the system? Red Hat, Debian, Open/FreeBSD, Mandrake, others?
Which kernel version is working RELIABLY & supporting fast ethernet &
multiple processors well?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/experiences

Mike

P.S. Please CC replies to me.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

     _/_/_/     _/_/_/     _/_/_/    ACS Consultancy
   _/    _/   _/     _/  _/
  _/_/_/_/   _/           _/_/_/     Information Sciences for Industry
 _/    _/    _/                _/
_/    _/      _/_/_/     _/_/_/      Telephone/Fax: 01732~463519 (UK)

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

     `All models are wrong, but some are useful' - George Box

------------------------------

From: "Soenke J. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Teledat 150, again
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:23:36 +0100

Jaap de Haan schrieb:
> Anyone interested in writing that driver or started to do it? (I'll try it
> alone if I have to but it might take a huge amount of time!!!)

AVM started work on writing drivers for its products. As the Teledat USB
resembles the Fritz!X USB, it might be possible that these drivers will
work with the Teledat.

Bye,
--
  ____           Soenke Jan  Peters
 |_  _|           Rostock, Germany

------------------------------

From: Johann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Soundcard
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:10:58 -0700

Hi,

I found this message on Deja, but it didn't show up on my news server. I
thought it might help someone else too, so I post it here again.

Thanks Krishna

Beginning of copy:

Hello everyone,

For the longest time, I thought linux does not support my Turtle Beach
Santa Cruz sound card.  On the contrary, it has supported it all along.
All that it requires is tampering with some modules.

All you need to do is the following:

insmod soundcore
insmod ac97_codec
insmod cs46xx

Everything should work.

In your /etc/modules.conf, put the following to do this automatically on
boot:

alias sound-slot-0 cs46xx
pre-install cs46xx modprobe -k ac97_codec

Ahhh...  Finally got this information out.  It's nice to know that I didn't
buy a $99 sound card that only works in Winblows.
--
remove nospam_ from my e-mail address to sent me a message

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Snow Dog)
Subject: HELP -> RH 6.2, Adaptec 2940UW, and CMD CRD-5500 not playing nice..
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:23:06 GMT

Hi Group,

I'm having a problem getting Linux and its Adaptec module (aic7xxx) to
recognize my CMD CRD-5500 RAID System.  Here are the details:

System Configuration:
Fresh RedHat 6.2 Install (no modifications yet)
Dual Intel Pentium II 400 w/512 Megs RAM
2 Internal SymBIOS onboard Controllers (ncr53c8xx module)
1 PCI Adaptec 2940UW V2.57.2 (aic7xxx module)
1 Seagate ST34572W 4GB Drive connected to SymBIOS Controller (scsi id
0)
1 Seagate ST118273W 18GB Drive connected to SymBIOS Controller (scsi
id 1)
1 CMD CRD-5500 RAID System running 104GB RAID5 connected to external
connector of Adapatec 2940UW (scsi id 0)

The problem is that during Linux boot or in the OS I cannot see the
drive connected to the Adaptec 2940UW.  However, during the inital
POST of the system, the drive shows up.  If you do a <CTRL> A and use
the Adaptec SCSI Select Utility, the unit shows up there as well.  I'm
able to format or verify disk media, etc.

One caveat is the controller shows the disk size or the RAID array as
38GBs instead of 104GB.  However, I think this is just a reporting
issue.

I think the problem appears to be with the Adaptec module (aic7xxx),
but I am not sure.  I also noticed that during bootup I get a
"enable_irq() unbalanced from e082d401" error after the OS downloads
the sequencer code from the Adaptec card.

I checked around on the net regarding the "enable_irq() unbalanced"
error and found ALOT of responses.  It's not clear whether that
problem is related at all.  Some people have reported that problem but
still detect their drives fine and their controllers seem to work
fine.

I've also tried different SCSI IDs, enabling Multiple LUN Support,
disabling disconnects, disabling/enabling BIOS support, and just about
every option possible in the Adaptec SCSI Select Utility.  All to no
avail.

Below is an excerpt of the output from dmesg.

ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 13, function 0
ncr53c8xx: 53c876 detected
ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 13, function 1
ncr53c8xx: 53c876 detected
ncr53c876-0: rev=0x37, base=0xfedf6c00, io_port=0xf800, irq=5
ncr53c876-0: ID 7, Fast-20, Parity Checking
ncr53c876-0: on-chip RAM at 0xfedf7000
ncr53c876-0: restart (scsi reset).
ncr53c876-0: Downloading SCSI SCRIPTS.
ncr53c876-1: rev=0x37, base=0xfedf6800, io_port=0xf400, irq=11
ncr53c876-1: ID 7, Fast-20, Parity Checking
ncr53c876-1: on-chip RAM at 0xfedf5000
ncr53c876-1: restart (scsi reset).
ncr53c876-1: Downloading SCSI SCRIPTS.
scsi0 : ncr53c8xx - version 3.2a-2
scsi1 : ncr53c8xx - version 3.2a-2
scsi : 2 hosts.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST34572W          Rev: 0876
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST118273W         Rev: 5698
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
ncr53c876-0-<0,0>: tagged command queue depth set to 8
ncr53c876-0-<1,0>: tagged command queue depth set to 8
ncr53c876-0-<0,*>: FAST-20 WIDE SCSI 40.0 MB/s (50 ns, offset 15)
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 8888924 [4340 MB]
[4.3 GB]
 sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 >
ncr53c876-0-<1,*>: FAST-20 WIDE SCSI 40.0 MB/s (50 ns, offset 15)
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 35566480 [17366 MB]
[17.4 GB]
 sdb:
(scsi2) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 0/16/0
(scsi2) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi2) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Int-68 NO, Ext-68 YES)
(scsi2) Downloading sequencer code... 423 instructions downloaded
enable_irq() unbalanced from e082d401
scsi2 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI)
5.1.28/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 3 hosts.

If anyone has any insight, suggestions, comments, or recommendations,
please let me know.  This has become quite frustrating.  I'd greatly
appreciate it. :)

Thanks...

Sean

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kbackup help
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:26:20 -0000

I have an obscure floppy tape backup drive which I can get to work using
taper with the option zft0 (I thing that was the one I used anyway) so I
know it works but I want to use it with Kbackup. Do floppy tape drives
actually work with this or am I wasting my time. I've tried using /dev/ftape
as the driver but it doesn't appear to work.
Any ideas anyone?

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SBLive digital output
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:30:12 -0000

p43cibmgs-Frank wrote in message <9545gp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I have a SBLive Valu card, and in WinME it's set to digital output, witch
gives it 4 channels (front right left, rear right left) out of a single 1/8"
plug to the card
>I haven't been able to get this to work in Linux, I've gotten all new
emu10k1 drivers, reconpiled, followed all the online HOWTO's `, etc,
>but she still won't work. Is this digital output the problem? If so, is
there a way to enable it in the Linuix drivers?

>Thanx,
>Tim

I have the same card and my machine recognises it corrrectly using Mandrake
7.2 without any effort so if you have no luck, try installing this
distribution.

------------------------------

From: "jazardous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: insmod NVdriver problem
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:52:04 GMT

Best you can do is get last kernel, compile it with
support for modules and the option for the kernel
itself load modules on demand.
If you haven't compiled a kernel before, is very easy.
Read the kernel howto, and use make xconfig instead
of make config(with the x started, of course)
Install it with linuxconf

When you have your new shiny kernel installed,
reboot & compile the nvidia module. Best you get the tarball
instead of the rpm. Yoy can compile it anywhere you want.
It will install correctly, and your kenel is
smart enough for load the module when is needed.
You need also latest modutils package.

Uninstall mesagl library before installing the GLX
And of course you need use the "nvidia" driver
intead of the "nv" that comes with XFree4.0
Loock at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and change it.

I'm runnig flawlesly the 0.96 driver with the 2.4.1
kernel and XFree4.02 over redhat7, and I have almost
same hardware as you.

Is curious see UT running so welll :-)

En el artículo <3a77bc01$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Drew"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how do I mount my tape drive?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:42:07 -0000

Darren and Marla Welson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message ...
>I am adding a tape drive to an existing AHA-1542 SCSI controller.  I have
>one HD already configured and working, but I cannot figure out how to
access
>my tape drive.  I have tried:
>mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdb /mnt/tape
>mount -t ext2 /dev/tape /mnt/tape
>
>but no go.  Is it possible I will need to recompile my kernel?  I have
added
>the SCSI card since I installed RH6.2.
>
>darren welson
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You don't mount it.
To use it there are two commonly used backup programs on most distributions.
Taper is a shell based program but fairly easy. Try the following in a shell
:-
taper --help            for a guide
taper -t  st0            to run using st0 as the tape unit driver
If not, try using Kbackup. It comes with most versions of KDE.

Hope this helps

------------------------------

From: Tom Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.4.x kernel won't load ncr53c8xx as module
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:52:52 GMT

Under 2.2.16 kernel, this SCSI module autoloads normally.  Statically compiled into
the kernel this driver works fine.  But compiled as a module under 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 it
will not autoload at boot.  Other modules (tlan,
parport, parport_pc, lp) do autoload.  "insmod ncr53c8xx"  loads this module after
boot with no errors.

I am booting from the statically compiled cpqarray driver.  Could my problem stem from
having one SCSI driver static and another modularized?  I suspect this is the problem,
in that the filesystem with the ncr module
isn't mounted at the time the SCSI drivers are needed.  I'm going to try a modularized
cpqarray and ncr53c8xx with an initrd to see what happens.  If this works, then I'd
propose that there is a timing issue with module

BTW, I've checked the /etc/modules.conf and there is an entry for the ncr538xx.o
module that has no other dependencies tied to it.  depmod doesn't complain about
anything.

System details:

Compaq Proliant 6000
Quad Pentium Pro 200 MHz/512K cache each
768MB RAM
cpqarray RAID controller with 5 x 4.3GB drives RAID 5
ncr53c875 SCSI controller with DLT4000 tape drive
Dual Tlan NIC
ATAPI CD-ROM

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie-ethernet config problem
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:47:18 -0000

David wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> [...]
>
>FQDN of This System: localhost
>Physical Interfaces Available: Failed: eth0
>Gateway Device     : (none)
>Gateway Device Available  :  N/A
>Gateway Device Active   :  N/A
>Default Route Activated      :  Yes
>Gateway is Reachable   :  No
>Primary DNS is Reachable  :  N/A
>Secondary DNS is Reachable  :  N/A
>Tertiary DNS is Reachable  :  N/A
>Hostname Lookup Works   :  No
>
>/etc/modules.conf file looks like this
>
>keep
>path[usb]=/lib/modules/'uname -r'
>path[extra]=/lib/modules/'uname -r'
>path[pcmcia]=/lib/modules/'uname -r'
>alias net-pf-5 appletalk
>alias eth0 tulip.o
># This file is created by PCI device probing routine.
># You might need to add another alias or options.
>
>/proc/ioports
>
>0000-001f : dma1
>0020-003f : pic1
>0040-005f : timer
>0060-006f : keyboard
>0070-007f : rtc
>0080-008f : dma page reg
>00a0-00bf : pic2
>00c0-00df : dma2
>00f0-00ff : fpu
>0170-0177 : ide1
>01f0-01f7 : ide0
>02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
>0376-0376 : ide1
>03c0-03df : vga+
>03f6-03f6 : ide0
>03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
>f000-f007 : ide0
>f008-f00f : ide1
>
>/proc/pci looks like this
>
>PCI devices found:
>  Bus 0, device 0, function 0:
>    Host bridge: Integ 82439TX (rev 1).
>      Medium devsel. Master Capable. Latency=32.
>Bus 0, device 7, function 0:
>  ISA bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev1).
>    Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capbale. Master Capable. No bursts.
>
>Bus ), device 7, function 1:
>  IDE interface: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 1).
>    Medium devsel. Fast back-toback capable. Master Capable. Latency=32.
>
>    I/O at 0xf000 [0xf001].
>Bus 0, device 7, function 2:
>  USB Controller: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 1).
>    Medium devsel. Fast back-toback capable. IRQ 11. Master Capable.
>Latency=32.
>    I/O at 0x6400 [0x6401].
>Bus 0, device 7, function 3:
>  Bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX$ ACPI (rev 1).
>    Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable.
>Bus 0, device 9, function 0:
>  VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE (rev 6).
>    Medium devsel. IRQ 10. Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=4.Max
>Lat=255.
>    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0000000].
>Bus 0, device 11, function 0:
>  Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 17).
>  Vendor id=1317. Device id=985.
>  Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 11. Master Capable.
>Latency=32. Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
>  I/O at 0x6500 [0x6501].
>  Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe40000000 [0xe40000000].

I have a Linksys 10/100 card but I know there are several versions of it. I
have a ver4 card and Mandrake 7.2 auto detects it. This distribution has two
types of tulip driver and the newer one works fine. I think they have quite
up to date kernels and drivers in this distribution but it might help.
Any idea what version your card is?